: Shocks and Shock Absorber

bjack111
03-12-13, 03:02 PM
Hello, do you know how much it would approx. cost to get rear shocks and shock absorber (R&R)? Thanks...

the cadillac man
03-12-13, 03:55 PM
Hello, do you know how much it would approx. cost to get rear shocks and shock absorber (R&R)? Thanks...

Arnotts has them for a good price for oem

djais1801
03-12-13, 04:57 PM
Arnotts has them for a good price for oem
that's where i got mine

Cyco
03-13-13, 12:00 AM
Get the Monroe OEM from rock auto! 40044 and 40034, front and back respectively. They are new and not rebuilt crap. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

bjack111
03-13-13, 08:51 AM
Does $1300 sounds reasonable or too much to pay for rear shocks and shock absorber (R&R)?

icaddy
03-13-13, 05:48 PM
Does $1300 sounds reasonable or too much to pay for rear shocks and shock absorber (R&R)?

Yes that's too much

Txao1051
03-13-13, 05:56 PM
I called the dealership and the most expensive they quoted me was 375...

----------

That was labor and all

the cadillac man
03-13-13, 06:13 PM

----------

That was labor and all

Is that for both rear shocks and the compressor (I ask as I paid 400 +or- a bit for mine

Txao1051
03-13-13, 06:16 PM
Both rear shocks I didn't ask about the compressor... But I heard that a kindergartner could change that though...

the cadillac man
03-13-13, 06:37 PM
Both rear shocks I didn't ask about the compressor... But I heard that a kindergartner could change that though...

I looked at mine and you are right but you have to consider that some have to deal with rust(northern states) heck all it is a harness and a hose(cake walk)

Txao1051
03-13-13, 06:53 PM
I looked at mine and you are right but you have to consider that some have to deal with rust(northern states) heck all it is a harness and a hose(cake walk)

I know how you feel bud mine is a North Dakota rig and it blows having snow on the ground for 6 months and counting

the cadillac man
03-13-13, 06:56 PM
I know how you feel bud mine is a North Dakota rig and it blows having snow on the ground for 6 months and counting

I have to deal with snow also so I am just going to have both done at the dealer since I know the service and parts manager and don't want to risk the chance of breaking the bolts of the shocks

Txao1051
03-13-13, 07:06 PM
It's 300+ bucks and if something happens the usually have a warranty on workmanship and parts instead of having the shade tree warranty

6lbsofSound
03-13-13, 08:52 PM
Replacing the rears are easy and you can do it yourself.

the cadillac man
03-13-13, 08:55 PM
It's 300+ bucks and if something happens the usually have a warranty on workmanship and parts instead of having the shade tree warranty

I checked and at my local dealer it is 158.00 to install the shocks and compressor(I have the compressor just have to get the shocks)

Txao1051
03-13-13, 08:57 PM
I checked and at my local dealer it is 158.00 to install the shocks and compressor(I have the compressor just have to get the shocks)

Not bad I asked tem for a quote where they supplied the parts so yea... But that's definitely not bad... What kind of shocks are you goin to use?

the cadillac man
03-13-13, 10:51 PM
Not bad I asked tem for a quote where they supplied the parts so yea... But that's definitely not bad... What kind of shocks are you goin to use?

I probably will get the arnott rebuilt shocks as on my road new ones would get bad quick anyway

But right now I am not sure yet(still price searching) given they have the lifetime warranty it may be better in the long run as my truck has over160,000 miles and I plan on getting as much as I can from it

Ps I would do both my self as I have the room and time its just I have back pain(pinched nerve)

Cyco
03-14-13, 12:07 AM
$1300 is for all 4 shocks, not just the rears and I did it myself. (the Monroe set) rides like a dream. I"ve been through 2 Arnott compressors and on from Sun something from Florida i think (stay away from that place!). After spending about 200 bucks a pop on compressors and changing them myself I finally when to dealership and just had them put a new one in. $700 all said and done. So, basically you can replace the compressor 3 times yourself for the cost of the dealership doing it once. just got fed up replacing a rebuilt every year when my original lasted 6 years...... Why buy rebuilt items? You may save you up front, generally don't last as long and if you spread it out over 3-4 years it's only like $75/year more. Doesn't make sense to me as I've been there done that......

the cadillac man
03-14-13, 12:17 AM
$1300 is for all 4 shocks, not just the rears and I did it myself. (the Monroe set) rides like a dream. I"ve been through 2 Arnott compressors and on from Sun something from Florida i think (stay away from that place!). After spending about 200 bucks a pop on compressors and changing them myself I finally when to dealership and just had them put a new one in. $700 all said and done. So, basically you can replace the compressor 3 times yourself for the cost of the dealership doing it once. just got fed up replacing a rebuilt every year when my original lasted 6 years...... Why buy rebuilt items? You may save you up front, generally don't last as long and if you spread it out over 3-4 years it's only like $75/year more. Doesn't make sense to me as I've been there done that......

Well my rear shocks is the only ones that need replacing(as far as I can tell) and I haven't priced a new set of oem shocks yet(I did get a new oem compressor as I didn't want to get a rebuilt one)

jnrsesv
03-14-13, 08:24 AM
The Arnott compressor is NOT rebuilt from my understanding only the shocks are.

Cyco, having gone through 1 Arnott compressor within 1 year 2 weeks (Arnott did honor the 1 year warranty), when the second compressor fails I too will go the OEM compressor route.

The rear shocks and compressor are easily a DIY project, even if the bolts are siezed they are easily accessed.