: Cutting Rear Springs, leveling the V

Driftwood420
03-12-13, 02:27 PM
Hey guys it has been a while since I posted and I have done a fair amount of reading about lowering springs, GC, MM and all that JAZZ. I would love to lower my car but really don't want to sacrifice the ride as I DD my car in the city most of the time and would have to worry about speed bumps, pot holes and steep driveways way too often. Also I am on 274/40/18 all the way around so tucking the front is not an option. Truth be told I would like to drop about .5" in the front and 1.25 " in the rear but that sounds like a lot of trouble ($$$). The path I am planning is to lower the rear .75" to get an equal fender lip to top of the wheel distance or equal fender gap. I plan to do this by cutting the rear springs and installing a spacer similar to MM if needed.
I have read about people hating there cut springs but that seemed like a everyone was talking about the front. I am thinking I will need to cut less than 1 coil and make MM spacers .5" - .75".
Are MM spacers 1" if so should I go with about half of that?
Anybody got any cool math to tell me how much to cut the springs? I was thinking of taking perch measurements on ramps and the removing the springs and shocks and jacking the wheel into position and re-measuring. Loading up the spring back in the car) and measuring where to cut it. Any input?

Can I accomplish my lift level goals (.5" in the front and 1.25 " in the rear) with G.C. then I could djust lower once I need 2 new tires, this thing is hell on back tires. I can take a little stiffer ride but I do not want to ruin the Caddy feel.

I will probably cut the springs first even if I end up with GC. I am pretty hard headed.

Thanks

alradco
03-13-13, 04:11 PM
Wouldn't that sacrifice the ride quality you don't want to give up since it's a DD? Cutting springs usually makes the ride harsher but I don't know what MM spacer you're talking about.

FuzzyLogic
03-13-13, 04:16 PM
I think I just had a flashback to the days when Cadillac was synonymous with huge, slow, and floaty.

RippyPartsDept
03-13-13, 04:33 PM
Wouldn't that sacrifice the ride quality you don't want to give up since it's a DD? Cutting springs usually makes the ride harsher but I don't know what MM spacer you're talking about.

.......... :yeah:

rand49er
03-13-13, 05:19 PM
Just remember, if you measure the compressed length of the spring and cut it down by, say, 1.5" to get your drop, you'll get a greater drop since the spring will actually compress to a shorter length because you've cut out some of the spring using that (erroneous) method.

I wouldn't do it.

WesH8398
03-17-13, 11:39 PM
Don't cut your springs. Especially the rears. I tried that and the ride was TERRIBLE. Not just harsh, but VERY unstable feeling. And I only cut one coil off.

I have a number of lowering-related threads (which also address plus-sized wheels & tires) that you would find VERY useful. A few are posted here, but I think most are over at ls1 tech (same username, minus the "h"). Have a read of those and most of your questions should be answered. Only thing that definitely isn't addressed is the 275's in the front. You're not going to be able to lower much, if anything, with that size tire up there. Steering and suspension travel make it next to impossible not to be rubbing somewhere sometime. It's just an opinion, but I don't see any reason to have 275's up front on a DD. It just complicates things. Putting them on the rear helps put the power to the ground and also looks a lot cooler from behind the car, so that's certainly justifiable. The front, not so much. Just my opinion tho.

AFTER you read all those threads, shoot me a PM (here or there) if you have any further questions that I might be able to help out with. ;)

Bill Rubeck
03-18-13, 02:08 AM
I agree, do not cut coils or springs unless you know exactly what you are doing. I have seen so much problems created by guys Modding their suspension. ( I work at dealership). The engineers that designed your suspension designed it to work at full length, not modded to your height "spec". Buy parts designed for your vehicle to do what you need or want. Some guys are very good at modding their own parts, but ALOT are not...just My opinion, as always.