: Optima battery

nvthev
03-11-13, 02:54 PM
AC Delco batt in my V is toast, looking to replace it with a Optima battery. Napa says the one listed doesn't fit right? Anyone running a red or yellow top?

Thanks
Glen

carlson_mn
03-11-13, 02:56 PM
$80 Walmart replacement with 5 yr warranty works great and is more powerful than the AC Delco. I have seen a red top in a V though.

DrSpeed
03-11-13, 03:49 PM
Group 78 Red Top fits with no mods:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XgUvFvKSPCI/US5HDi441JI/AAAAAAAAIHM/twQtBrKF2Co/s1115/_HAO2495.jpg

nvthev
03-11-13, 03:56 PM
I haven't had good luck with Walmart batts in the past.

And that is the picture i saw with the red top.

Thank you gentleman!

trukk
03-11-13, 04:34 PM
Group 78 Red Top fits with no mods:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XgUvFvKSPCI/US5HDi441JI/AAAAAAAAIHM/twQtBrKF2Co/s1115/_HAO2495.jpg

Run the same here. Had to remove the 1" thick battery tray. Once that was out fit like a champ.

-Chris

Totally unrelated: Optima is now the Title Sponsor for the Optima Battery ChumpCar World Series. We get a free red, yellow or blue top for our chumpcar. Just mentioning it because CTS-V's, ChumpCar and Optima Batteries all kick azz :D

izcain
03-11-13, 04:36 PM
$80 Walmart replacement with 5 yr warranty works great and is more powerful than the AC Delco. I have seen a red top in a V though.

WAL MART does not stand behind anything for a warranty unless you find a place that has competent employees that know how to take care of the warrenty and I have yet to find that at any wal mart around this area.

Local Oriellys had one on the shelf with the same warranty and better cranking power. The optima may have more reserve though. Our shop is an interstate batteries and optima dealer so I should look at whether there was more reserve to it. I know the orielly's battery had more cranking power then both the interstate and the optima when I compared them though. I didn't feel like waiting for the interstate man to get here so I just ran over and picked up the other one.

nvthev
03-11-13, 04:41 PM
I'm also an interstate dealer, takes them forever to show up. But that's why I wanted one, cause their regular auto battery's don't last long. I've had several sets in my duramax.

Pillow
03-11-13, 11:52 PM

I had nothing but problems with the Wal-Mart MAXX batteries in my other vehicles.

Two of them couldn't support a diesel wihtout replacement every two years. I will give Wal-Mart credit, they replaced them without question - twice. I switched to the AutoZone batteries and no problems since.

In the now gone 05 Escalade, a MAXX literally imploded on itself... I cannot explain the details as my wife took it into a shop after not starting. Apparently shorted out the starter as well as needing a new battery.

So, in summary, stay far away from these cheap batteries!!! (in fact your better off staying out of Wal-Mart period)

Andringa
03-12-13, 09:59 AM
I am running the same Red Top Optima, the stock battery cover thing fits over it if you want to keep more of a stock look.

odla
03-12-13, 01:34 PM
Does it still use the factory hold down?

barrok69
03-12-13, 04:17 PM
Does it still use the factory hold down?

I'm also using the 78 red top and it comes with it's own tie down rubber bracket shaped to the roundness of the optima cells that works in the factory location.

nvthev
03-12-13, 06:10 PM
I talked to a regular Cts owner, he said he couldn't get a red top to fit in his. Weird.

Mn800r
03-12-13, 10:35 PM
Walmart battery...hahaha in a V !! Oh boy..

repenttokyo
03-13-13, 02:07 PM
Walmart battery...hahaha in a V !! Oh boy..

what's wrong with that?

9t8z28
03-13-13, 03:20 PM
I just installed a group 78 Red Top a month ago. Why did you have to remove the battery tray? It fits without any modifications except to the plastic hold down. I had to trim a small bit off of the corner of it so it would securely hold down my battery.

Run the same here. Had to remove the 1" thick battery tray. Once that was out fit like a champ.

-Chris

Totally unrelated: Optima is now the Title Sponsor for the Optima Battery ChumpCar World Series. We get a free red, yellow or blue top for our chumpcar. Just mentioning it because CTS-V's, ChumpCar and Optima Batteries all kick azz :D

mstrjon32
03-13-13, 03:21 PM
what's wrong with that?

I don't know. I've got a battery from the PX in my V. It starts just fine. Who cares?

carlson_mn
03-13-13, 08:00 PM
Walmart EverStart batteries are a good battery at a good price. Quite a bit stronger than the OEM battery. Thinking anything else of them is a BMW attitude, but then again this is a Cadillac forum.