: 07 DTS high speed steering wheel wobble and passenger copartment shaking

jonsab
03-11-13, 03:42 PM
07 DTS 82k at speeds between 65 & 75 the steering wheel will wobble slightly and you an see the vibration in the passenger seat....At lower and higher speeds there is no vibrating sensation. Any Ideas?

Tom's Caddy
03-11-13, 04:18 PM
Have you're tires Road Force Balanced, Our DTS are very finicky about this.:welcome:

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-11-13, 04:39 PM
Welcome, jonsab! If you would ever like me to look into concerns further for you, please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. I'm happy to investigate and/or call your dealer on your behalf to schedule an appointment.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

jonsab
03-11-13, 09:16 PM
Thank you I will contact you if needed...Funny you should ask about the dealer..changed dealers because relocated and dissatisfied so far what a shame.

jazoo
03-11-13, 10:25 PM
07 DTS 82k at speeds between 65 & 75 the steering wheel will wobble slightly and you an see the vibration in the passenger seat....At lower and higher speeds there is no vibrating sensation. Any Ideas?

There could be several reasons for the steering wheel wobble; i.e. improper tire pressure, one of the front wheels bent/damaged, tire(s) cupping, worn out strut(s), out-of-balance wheels, etc. So how long you had this Caddy and when was last time you had the wheels balanced dynamically? When did you get the four-wheel alignment and front-end inspection by an experienced mechanic? How many miles have been logged on the existing tires?

Jonsab, I would get the tires rotated first and then see if the problem persist. If yes, then I would get the four-wheel alignment done and the front end inspected by your local reputable auto shop.

jonsab
03-15-13, 10:44 AM
The issue has come down to that all four rims are slightly bent. A road force balance has been done the rack has been replaced an alignment and inspection was done. The rotors and front breaks and rear were replaced. It has improved just slightly. I do not have four tires and rims to experiment with. At this point I will just have to live with it. It has 83k on as of now.

Tom's Caddy
03-15-13, 02:47 PM
Checking you're torque mount strut ( I think that is what it is called ) under you're hood near the coolant tank. Two bolts with rubber mounts that can crack. Some guys on the board have noticed cracks replaced the mount $49.99 and has helped with vibrations. There is a good thread and pictures of it somewhere here. I hope this might help.

jonsab
03-15-13, 04:23 PM
That is a great idea. I will look into that.

cadwolf
03-16-13, 10:25 AM
i recently had same issue.changed wheel hub assembly didnt work.changed torque strut mount {llos like engine mount next to coolant resevoir}that didnt help the vibration got a little less.changed brakes and front rotors no help.4 new tires no help.then my friend said let me balance the tires he spent a good amount of time balancing got them perfect,would you believe vibration is gone.in my experience if there is an issue with yor rims and tires thats what is causing the problem.these cars are ver sensitive to wheel balancing.by the way mine is a 2006 dts performance with 71k

Tom's Caddy
03-16-13, 11:05 AM
cadwolf you're bang on:thumbsup: a pro shop that can road force balance is peace of mind.

jazoo
03-16-13, 01:06 PM
The issue has come down to that all four rims are slightly bent. A road force balance has been done the rack has been replaced an alignment and inspection was done. The rotors and front breaks and rear were replaced. It has improved just slightly. I do not have four tires and rims to experiment with. At this point I will just have to live with it. It has 83k on as of now.

If you got a clean bill of health on the tires (no cupping, feathering or separation) and the rims then I would suggest to to rotate the tires and see if the wobbling or shaking go away. You can do the tires rotation yourself.

jonsab
03-19-13, 12:33 PM
The dealer said they put the most bent rims on the back. When the road force balance was done. I just do not think the dealer will let me test four rims and tires from another car. I feel that would elminate any doubt about the wobble is coming from the rims. If the dealer is truly telling the truth about the rims being bent. Is there any way just by balancing the tires could solve the issue or is swapping the tires and rims the only solution left?

----------

Any chance your balencing friend is in NJ? LOL

stormnn
03-20-13, 11:24 AM
Cadillac rims don't just bend. The car would have be pounded over a curb or something simular to bend them. I had 1 bent rim on mine when I bought it used, found a dealer with a rim straightner & it was like new again. Then with new Michelins the car is perfect smooth again.
Norm

jazoo
03-21-13, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=jonsab;3256877]The dealer said they put the most bent rims on the back. When the road force balance was done. I just do not think the dealer will let me test four rims and tires from another car. I feel that would elminate any doubt about the wobble is coming from the rims. If the dealer is truly telling the truth about the rims being bent. Is there any way just by balancing the tires could solve the issue or is swapping the tires and rims the only solution left?[COLOR="Silver"]

I do not fully understand/comprehend the the condition of your Caddy's rims. My gosh, how many bent/damaged rims you are talking about? How did you acquire this vehicle and how many on it? I am like stormnn, that the rims don't bend easily unless they were abused. Unless you replace/repair the rims, you have no way of knowing the root cause of the problem. You can try the solution proposed by stormnn as it is still cheaper than repairing all damaged rims or buying new ones. On the other hand, the cheapest/frugal way would be to keep on driving especially when you are still unsure even after several folks gave you their ideas.

GOOD LUCK & HAPPY DRIVING!!!

ral1960
04-06-13, 11:33 PM
I bent a front wheel slightly in my DeVille in January in a pot hole at 50 mph, enough to cause a little side-to-side motion at very low speed, but it was largely undetectable at higher speeds.. My mechanic put it on the back. Oddly, the wheel hub on the other side also needed replacing.

jonsab
04-21-13, 03:11 PM
Hi, The dealer claims that all four are bent. They are the Vogue Stardust Rims. I drive NJ streets which to me seems to be the pot hole center of the world. I have had no luck finding a shop that has the rim straightening capability.

jonsab
04-21-13, 07:21 PM
I am having an issue with my dealer. Can you help me?

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-21-13, 09:22 PM
I am having an issue with my dealer. Can you help me?

Hello jonsab,

I am more than happy to provide assistance. You stated you are having an issue with your dealer. What is the issue you are having? If you want to private message me on this forum because I may need to get personal information from you, you can do so. Thank you. Have a great night.

Sincerely,
Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

stormnn
04-22-13, 12:01 PM
Hi, The dealer claims that all four are bent. They are the Vogue Stardust Rims. I drive NJ streets which to me seems to be the pot hole center of the world. I have had no luck finding a shop that has the rim straightening capability.
Did you google rim straightening?
Norm