: Rattle In Muffler

oldrunner
03-11-13, 12:24 PM
My 2006 has a rattle emitting from inside the muffler. Sounds like something came loose inside. Should I replace, ignore, replace myself or have it done?
Thanks

TheCaddyKidd
03-11-13, 01:06 PM
My 2006 has a rattle emitting from inside the muffler. Sounds like something came loose inside. Should I replace, ignore, replace myself or have it done?
Thanks

Is it actually coming from inside the muffler or do you just hear it from inside the cabin and assume it is coming from inside the muffler? The reason I ask is that on my mom's 02 she had a rattle that we heard everytime you revved the engine.. Turns out the heatshield came loose..

----------

Thanks

Is it actually coming from inside the muffler or do you just hear it from inside the cabin and assume it is coming from inside the muffler? The reason I ask is that on my mom's 02 she had a rattle that we heard everytime you revved the engine.. Turns out the heatshield came loose..

the cadillac man
03-11-13, 01:09 PM

----------

My 03 had the heat shield come loose on the muffler and took a couple hose clamps to fix it(no more rattle while driving(side note make sure the clamps are coupled or they won't fit)

oldrunner
03-11-13, 01:11 PM
We put it up on a rack and could hear the rattle coming from inside the muffler.

the cadillac man
03-11-13, 02:35 PM
We put it up on a rack and could hear the rattle coming from inside the muffler.

Time for a new one then

oldrunner
03-12-13, 10:15 AM
Any recommendations on brand of replacement, quiet to mellow sound...

oldrunner
03-12-13, 12:36 PM
It's going away. Forgot to mention I had the transmission replaced last week and it was shifting very hard at first. It's been installed 5 days now and the shifting has really smoothed out and the muffler rattle has gotten progressively better. I'm thinking now the new transmission was vibrating because it wasn't broke in and now that it's had some breaking in and the shifting is smoother the vibration is less and the rattle is almost all gone. At least that's what my old feeble mind is thinking.:rolleyes:
Thanks

the cadillac man
03-12-13, 01:01 PM
It's going away. Forgot to mention I had the transmission replaced last week and it was shifting very hard at first. It's been installed 5 days now and the shifting has really smoothed out and the muffler rattle has gotten progressively better. I'm thinking now the new transmission was vibrating because it wasn't broke in and now that it's had some breaking in and the shifting is smoother the vibration is less and the rattle is almost all gone. At least that's what my old feeble mind is thinking.:rolleyes:
Thanks

I still suggest crawling under the truck to be sure a weld hasn't broke on the shield

oldrunner
03-12-13, 07:00 PM
Found It! Kept looking for a loose heat shield and found the forward muffler clamp (probably not OEM) was not tightening properly. I couldn't get it to tighten enough so I wrapped a stainless steel hose clamp around it to test it and voila, no rattle. Plan on taking it to a muffler shop and have them fix it right. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

the cadillac man
03-12-13, 07:11 PM
Found It! Kept looking for a loose heat shield and found the forward muffler clamp (probably not OEM) was not tightening properly. I couldn't get it to tighten enough so I wrapped a stainless steel hose clamp around it to test it and voila, no rattle. Plan on taking it to a muffler shop and have them fix it right. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

Glad to help(I know the rattling noise can drive you crazy after a while I put up with mine doing that for a few months before I did something and it made me wish I had done it sooner)

Cyco
03-13-13, 01:03 AM
Just a heads up I also had a rattling noise and it ended up being a bad Catalytic Converter.....

Vintage56
09-18-13, 04:11 PM
btt

Cyco,

with your bad Cat, did you get a check engine light (DTC) and if so, do you know if it was P0430?

the wife's 06 Esky got congestion from the passenger side a few weeks ago and I noticed the dummy light a couple days ago.
just pulled the code and it looks like I'm in for new converter(s). What did that cost you? OEM or aftermarket?

my research is in full swing...

JML

Cyco
09-19-13, 02:42 PM
btt

Cyco,

with your bad Cat, did you get a check engine light (DTC) and if so, do you know if it was P0430?

the wife's 06 Esky got congestion from the passenger side a few weeks ago and I noticed the dummy light a couple days ago.
just pulled the code and it looks like I'm in for new converter(s). What did that cost you? OEM or aftermarket?

my research is in full swing...

JML

Yes, check engine light came on. I want to say when we ran the code it mentioned "bank1" or "bank2". Was the driver side CAT. I went to Fair Muffler for $300 bucks, they put aftermarket on, and it is fine. They also reset code.
C

Vintage56
09-23-13, 10:42 AM
Dropped the wife's Esky at the muffler man's place this morning.
confirmed the deep rattle was a bad bank 2 cat converter. Engine code was P0430
note for others, a tinny rattle would be more indicative an aluminum heat shield.
this sounded deeper and kind of hollow.
JML