: New CUE update and Siri attn: Codeman

cullama213
03-09-13, 03:34 PM
Is there anyway to activate Siri without having to touch the home button on the iPhone?

jsanford
03-09-13, 07:00 PM
No, you must hold down the home button on the iPhone to activate Siri. The steering wheel button can only be used to activate the CUE voice control.

Sweetness
03-09-13, 10:03 PM
Is there anyway to activate Siri without having to touch the home button on the iPhone?

I believe the way it works is you hold the voice/call button on the steering wheel for 5 secs, and Siri comes on like the iPhone. But I am not getting my update till Monday, so not sure it works that way.

I'm wrong - after getting my update, Siri works really well, but you can only communicate with it via the iPhone home button. The steering wheel buttons have no effect.

unclemoose
03-12-13, 01:38 AM
I tried using Siri with the CUE update via the steering wheel controls and it didn't work. You have to use the iphone button.

cullama213
03-13-13, 08:14 AM
I tried following the instructions for 'Voice Pass Thru' from the original owners manual (say Bluetooth and then say Voice) but CUE just says it does not understand the Bluetooth command...

Maybe the next update will get us a way to implement this via the steering wheel *cough cough*

SLA
03-24-13, 10:56 PM
I've seen Chevy advertising Siri activation through a steering wheel button on the $15,000 Sonic.

Why this is not a feature on our ATS that cost more than twice as much, I don't know.

This is a big one Caddy. We need this feature asap!

cullama213
03-25-13, 08:48 PM
I've seen Chevy advertising Siri activation through a steering wheel button on the $15,000 Sonic.

Why this is not a feature on our ATS that cost more than twice as much, I don't know.

Saw the commercial yesterday! I hope they held off on this feature in the update so that they could market the sonic as being the first...

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-26-13, 02:23 PM
I tried using Siri with the CUE update via the steering wheel controls and it didn't work. You have to use the iphone button.

I tried following the instructions for 'Voice Pass Thru' from the original owners manual (say Bluetooth and then say Voice) but CUE just says it does not understand the Bluetooth command...

Maybe the next update will get us a way to implement this via the steering wheel *cough cough*

Unclemoose, cullama, and SLA, thank you for your feedback! I'm going to document your comments where the proper GM teams can view them. And, of course, if you have any CUE questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our Infotainment Customer Support Team (855-428-3669, open Monday to Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm EST; Saturday 8:00am - 4pm EST).

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

cullama213
04-21-13, 12:20 PM
According to press releases, the new CTS will have Siri Eyes Free built in... Cadillac Customer Service, can you tell us if first gen CUE owners are going to be getting Eyes Free via a software update?

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-21-13, 01:09 PM
According to press releases, the new CTS will have Siri Eyes Free built in... Cadillac Customer Service, can you tell us if first gen CUE owners are going to be getting Eyes Free via a software update?

Hello cullama213,

At this time, we are not aware of any plans to offer an update. Once we get closer to the release date of the Siri Eyes, I will be happy to check for any additional information. Have a great night.

Sincerely,
Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

macklobell
08-28-13, 09:21 PM
Siri eyes free is now available on the 2014 CTS so can you please check and see if this will be integrated into the 2013 XTS via software upgrade.

pissedoffwookiee
08-28-13, 10:41 PM
2014 ATS has a new icon in CUE that activates SIRI .... it's a picture of a microphone

pkadanec
08-29-13, 11:37 AM
Laura, I would expect that since CUE was sold to us with the expectation that we would be receiving updates that there would be some reasonable published time table for current owners to expect this to occur. From your comments it would appear that, once again, we have been deceived.

RippyPartsDept
08-29-13, 12:01 PM
what other device (phone, tablet, pc, etc) publishes time tables for their customers to expect updates?

there are going to be updates... there have been updates... no - they aren't saying what/when those updates will be (sorry)

inspectorudy
08-29-13, 05:39 PM
The method that GM has decided on to install updates may turn out to be a costly one. It would appear that only GM certified dealers will be able to install any update which means that the dealers will get paid for several hours of work. Although I am not sure how much they will be paid they do require manhours to install and then check out each car. It would seem with computer updates going out nightly to computers all over the world with no interference or assistance from anyone that the GM system might be a little ancient. I understand the legal ramifications of a system that can conceivably affect safety but then partial updates would seem to be away around a total redo of the entire OS every time. I get updates all the time that only affect one or two issues but does not require a total replacement of system data. Is this possible on our cars? How about the use of SD cards or CD's? I am not computer literate enough to understand why we have such a complex system.

pissedoffwookiee
08-29-13, 06:07 PM
The method that GM has decided on to install updates may turn out to be a costly one. It would appear that only GM certified dealers will be able to install any update which means that the dealers will get paid for several hours of work. Although I am not sure how much they will be paid they do require manhours to install and then check out each car. It would seem with computer updates going out nightly to computers all over the world with no interference or assistance from anyone that the GM system might be a little ancient. I understand the legal ramifications of a system that can conceivably affect safety but then partial updates would seem to be away around a total redo of the entire OS every time. I get updates all the time that only affect one or two issues but does not require a total replacement of system data. Is this possible on our cars? How about the use of SD cards or CD's? I am not computer literate enough to understand why we have such a complex system.

prior to the CUE update, there was an over the air update for XTS, dealers had to make sure all of them were parked outside not in showrooms or service bays and had to start the cars every 3 days until they were all updated

macklobell
08-30-13, 03:45 PM
I heard that the siri eyes free and the text messaging is available on the 2014 Cadillac XTS as well. I hope GM let's the 2013 XTS owners know soon if this will be integrated. I feel cheated. Why no sign of Laura now with an explanation? Oh wait a minute, she will probably come on and say I will document your concerns and we will never hear back again. Horrible!!!!!!!

inspectorudy
08-30-13, 05:57 PM
We are all frustrated but I don't think Laura is the one to aim our anger at. She is in PR and tells us what they tell her to tell us. It is not personal with her. I understand the push is for the new models but we need to hear from someone that the check is in the mail. I know the new models always take precedence over SOLD cars but still there is a corporate affection that needs to be assuaged. I remember buying a new Datsun 240Z and driving off of the lot only to find out the tachometer did not work. I drove back around the block and told the service department about it and they said they would order me a new tach. The car was not even ten minutes old! I said how about you take the tach out of a floor model and order one for it. The sales manager looked at me like I had the plague. He said that they would NEVER take a part off of a new car for an old customer (Ten minutes) and that I had to wait for the new tach to come in (two weeks). If it is the GM of old then we are screwed. If there is a new team in town that understands brand loyalty then we may have a slim chance. The onus is on Cadillac to keep us in the loop so that we do not feel like we have been bypassed for a newer model and newer customers. The window of customer relations is a short one and the portal is slowly closing. Has anyone noticed the lack of any new info about our issues? We no longer get up to date stuff about our problems or concerns. Codeman has gone on a vacation and Rippy doesn't seem to be in the know any longer. Either there is the mother of all updates about to come out or we are about to become BMW, Lexus and Mercedes customers. I'll even throw in the Equus as an alternative at the price that GM is charging now. HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYONE!

RippyPartsDept
08-31-13, 11:54 AM
i'm not sure if codeman works for GM anymore ... and i have no clue for sure but I would guess that there will probably be only one major CUE update per year so we're quite a ways off for the next update

cadillacricket
08-31-13, 03:11 PM
We are all frustrated but I don't think Laura is the one to aim our anger at. She is in PR and tells us what they tell her to tell us. It is not personal with her. I understand the push is for the new models but we need to hear from someone that the check is in the mail. I know the new models always take precedence over SOLD cars but still there is a corporate affection that needs to be assuaged. I remember buying a new Datsun 240Z and driving off of the lot only to find out the tachometer did not work. I drove back around the block and told the service department about it and they said they would order me a new tach. The car was not even ten minutes old! I said how about you take the tach out of a floor model and order one for it. The sales manager looked at me like I had the plague. He said that they would NEVER take a part off of a new car for an old customer (Ten minutes) and that I had to wait for the new tach to come in (two weeks). If it is the GM of old then we are screwed. If there is a new team in town that understands brand loyalty then we may have a slim chance. The onus is on Cadillac to keep us in the loop so that we do not feel like we have been bypassed for a newer model and newer customers. The window of customer relations is a short one and the portal is slowly closing. Has anyone noticed the lack of any new info about our issues? We no longer get up to date stuff about our problems or concerns. Codeman has gone on a vacation and Rippy doesn't seem to be in the know any longer. Either there is the mother of all updates about to come out or we are about to become BMW, Lexus and Mercedes customers. I'll even throw in the Equus as an alternative at the price that GM is charging now. HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYONE!

Oh, for freakin Pete's sake, get ahold if yourself!!

macklobell
09-04-13, 10:23 PM
No feedback?

pissedoffwookiee
09-05-13, 02:52 AM
Cadillacs coding team needs to have a blog to keep us in the loop, to avoid a panic that we've been abandoned.

I'm sure they're discovering this is the dark side of lowering their average owner age from way up in the 70's, and that this segments average buyer grew up with tech unlike the legacy Cadillac owners before them and have an expectation level they've never seen before. I'm sure this has happened to other luxury brands too.

that said in my fantasy world Cadillac would leave the renaissance center to Chevy, Buick, and GMC and move to Silicon Valley or Irvine and live amongst their young wealthy techie target customers (the other 3 brands can come too Buick really needs the help). no disrespect to Detroit but I have a feeling that being in a city well past it's prime and bankrupt isn't the ideal scenario to attract talent. again no ill will toward that part of the country, but a hotshot graduate looking at his or her choice of nice jobs, I'm sure where they'll live has an influence. it just seems logical to me that a software engineer looking at a six figure jobs coding in the Bay Area or Detroit might be influenced by factors outside the job, much in the way rural places have trouble attracting professionals like doctors. don't misread into this that I don't think GM has talent, far from it I think they're fabulously talented, but the world has changed around Detroit and the manufacturing megastar place that was Motown is probably gone and the new Motown is where google, apple, adobe, Cisco, eBay, Facebook, oracle, sandisk, western digital, and many others reside. how can that environment not be good for our chosen brand

inspectorudy
09-06-13, 09:12 AM
Wookie, I think you are just missing the point of the technology that is invading our autos. It's aim is to make driving easier, safer, more convenient and more enjoyable, not to be more techy. Apple and Microsoft are both struggling with OS that are designed for human interface. Both systems will and can do the job but the interface is the weakest link. The younger generation may be more at home with apps and finger flicking but the aim is still the same; to make the equipment do what the user needs in the most efficient way possible. We all have our druthers on hardware but that in itself would dictate user alterable designs like that ATS instrument cluster. Your idea about setting up GM's computer technology center in Silicon Valley might be a good one only time will tell. I think we with the current CUE system are on the beginning edge of a wave of new technology in auto development. My '13 SRX is so advanced mechanically that it is a let down that the interface is so primitive. I just hope that we are not left behind as progress is made with CUE.

pissedoffwookiee
09-06-13, 10:59 AM
Wookie, I think you are just missing the point of the technology that is invading our autos. It's aim is to make driving easier, safer, more convenient and more enjoyable, not to be more techy. Apple and Microsoft are both struggling with OS that are designed for human interface. Both systems will and can do the job but the interface is the weakest link. The younger generation may be more at home with apps and finger flicking but the aim is still the same; to make the equipment do what the user needs in the most efficient way possible. We all have our druthers on hardware but that in itself would dictate user alterable designs like that ATS instrument cluster. Your idea about setting up GM's computer technology center in Silicon Valley might be a good one only time will tell. I think we with the current CUE system are on the beginning edge of a wave of new technology in auto development. My '13 SRX is so advanced mechanically that it is a let down that the interface is so primitive. I just hope that we are not left behind as progress is made with CUE.

I do get the point, the point of all technology is to make our lives easier, whether it be military tech (kill people easier) information tech (make more money) consumer tech (entertain us, take away our chores a la game consoles, tv's, cell phones dishwasher, roomba)....the car is just another manifestation of this indeed the car itself sans tech is a technology to improve our lives in terms of conveyance. the ATS is a great car, which is what focuses the attention to these technical flubs, had Cadillac used as much resources as it used to beat BMW in chassis and suspension (and it does) on the software, i'm not saying it would have been perfect (nothing made by humans is) but it would at least meet the technical standard that we expect, that is to say when endeavoring to bring the radio to a new era, ensure at least it has the bases covered and works from a functional perspective better than what it replaced an example of this would be the smart phone, even though early smart phones were not that good by todays standards they exceeded what feature phones could do AND had making phone calls covered. the pop up radio cadillac replaced was awesome, voice commands worked well, and it worked great with connected devices, and you didn't have to think about it or spend too much eye time with it. I will go out on a limb and say had they just improved the processor, graphics, added pandora and made its styling commensurate with ATS' interior, you'd have a lot of happy folks, that unit was nicely done by alpine in the CTS and delphi in SRX. another example of software letting ATS down is in the transmission, as stated before ATS beat the king in the chassis and suspension battle, but lost the war to BMW due mainly to acceleration, CUE, and transmission gearing (this goes back to acceleration) and shifting behavior. a little known fact is the 6L45 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L50_transmission) transmission in our car was supplied to BMW for the previous gen 3 series, a car and driver '10 best' car, a car that was tremendously well received and praised for how it drove. so how is it that GM designed and manufactured the transmission in one of the all time greatest sedans, and yet that same transmission is a disappointment when compared to that very same brand. Again this falls at the feet of the software, a point many in this forum will attest to after having their tranny software tuned I do realize BMW's new transmission is an 8 speed, but that should have been its only deficit.

mechevar
09-10-13, 04:33 PM
Honestly, well put. I'm a software developer, in the younger demographic, on my first Cadillac and I'm constantly on these forums anxiously looking for updates to CUE along with additional apps. If anything, Cadillac CUE software development should just have a twitter feed. With my career choices, I chose jobs in a tech friendly area simply due to the fact that if one job doesn't work out, I can get another without uprooting my entire life.

Cadillacs coding team needs to have a blog to keep us in the loop, to avoid a panic that we've been abandoned.

I'm sure they're discovering this is the dark side of lowering their average owner age from way up in the 70's, and that this segments average buyer grew up with tech unlike the legacy Cadillac owners before them and have an expectation level they've never seen before. I'm sure this has happened to other luxury brands too.

that said in my fantasy world Cadillac would leave the renaissance center to Chevy, Buick, and GMC and move to Silicon Valley or Irvine and live amongst their young wealthy techie target customers (the other 3 brands can come too Buick really needs the help). no disrespect to Detroit but I have a feeling that being in a city well past it's prime and bankrupt isn't the ideal scenario to attract talent. again no ill will toward that part of the country, but a hotshot graduate looking at his or her choice of nice jobs, I'm sure where they'll live has an influence. it just seems logical to me that a software engineer looking at a six figure jobs coding in the Bay Area or Detroit might be influenced by factors outside the job, much in the way rural places have trouble attracting professionals like doctors. don't misread into this that I don't think GM has talent, far from it I think they're fabulously talented, but the world has changed around Detroit and the manufacturing megastar place that was Motown is probably gone and the new Motown is where google, apple, adobe, Cisco, eBay, Facebook, oracle, sandisk, western digital, and many others reside. how can that environment not be good for our chosen brand

bluztoo
09-15-13, 09:23 PM
I do think someone owes us a straight answer. Can you buy the update? It is incredibly short-sighted on the part of Cadillac to not offer upgrades where the hardware is not an issue. Remember - new future - new cars - a new way of doing business!
My prediction is that car makers will actually push their way out of this market. In other words, as long as the smart phone can output through the cars speakers, there may be no reason for paying to have things that won't be updated in the car. Take navigation - you can use Apple maps, or Google maps free. You can buy an app like Navigon, which has lifetime free upgrades of maps, and you can also purchase a traffic module with a one-time cost. I'd prefer to have it integrated, but not if that means having outdated maps that are upgradeable once a year at a cost of $199. And if I want traffic I have to pay a monthly fee. I have MyFordSync in my wife's car. They're making the same mistake at Ford. I give car makers a couple of years to either become truly tech friendly, or they'll just be pushed out of the way. And I'm sure I'll hear from people who say - this is a big deal? On a car? My answer is yes, and it is indicative of how a company sells excellence. They either do, or they don't.

RippyPartsDept
09-16-13, 10:36 AM
you do understand that the car makers (GM/Ford/etc) don't own the map data or the traffic data, right?
And that the owners of that data license it's use so that they can charge differently depending upon where that data is going to be used?
just because Google can offer maps for free (personally I love google maps) and Navigon can offer it cheaply (compared to the OEM auto mfg nav updates)
that doesn't mean that the auto mfgs are able to offer consumers the same kind of deals because of the licensing

cadillacricket
09-16-13, 11:11 AM
you do understand that the car makers (GM/Ford/etc) don't own the map data or the traffic data, right?
And that the owners of that data license it's use so that they can charge differently depending upon where that data is going to be used?
just because Google can offer maps for free (personally I love google maps) and Navigon can offer it cheaply (compared to the OEM auto mfg nav updates)
that doesn't mean that the auto mfgs are able to offer consumers the same kind of deals because of the licensing

Consumers rarely understand the difference between "free for the consumer" and "free"... A hint? Nothing in this world is free, even if its "free to the consumer".

RippyPartsDept
09-16-13, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure what your point is...

pissedoffwookiee
09-16-13, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure what your point is...

his point is he's answering your question, with the answer no, they probably don't understand that the data is not GM's to dole out timely and cheaply. and you're both correct, few people know that the gatekeepers in the GIS (geographical information systems) industry were mainly Nokia, and Garmin (who owns Navigon), from whom most everybody else bought mapping data. these two, unknowingly pulled the tail of the sleeping tiger Google who got fed up with this expensive status quo and built their own, Google has more than enough resources and an armada of data collection devices (our phones) in the field and was able to build their data much more quickly than the establisment. Google even dealt a huge blow to the GIS industry stock prices when they gave this data away with turn by turn on the original Droid phone. Bottom line is Maps data is expensive, even the so called "free google maps" we either pay outright for it (like in our cars) or we pay for it by selling our privacy so google can serve us targeted ads, how else does google make billions when virtually all their products are "free".

cadillacricket
09-16-13, 03:10 PM
his point is he's answering your question, with the answer no, they probably don't understand that the data is not GM's to dole out timely and cheaply. and you're both correct, few people know that the gatekeepers in the GIS (geographical information systems) industry were mainly Nokia, and Garmin (who owns Navigon), from whom most everybody else bought mapping data. these two, unknowingly pulled the tail of the sleeping tiger Google who got fed up with this expensive status quo and built their own, Google has more than enough resources and an armada of data collection devices (our phones) in the field and was able to build their data much more quickly than the establisment. Google even dealt a huge blow to the GIS industry stock prices when they gave this data away with turn by turn on the original Droid phone. Bottom line is Maps data is expensive, even the so called "free google maps" we either pay outright for it (like in our cars) or we pay for it by selling our privacy so google can serve us targeted ads, how else does google make billions when virtually all their products are "free".

And boom goes the dynamite. lol

RippyPartsDept
09-16-13, 04:49 PM
i understand the point that the 'free google maps' isn't truly free ... yes there's a cost to it but it's not paid with money

but that's not my point

my point was to try and help people realize the full reality of the situation and open their eyes to very likely and plausible possibilities that they didn't even know could exist
(also it was to get people to quit bitching about the cost of navigation and nav maps)

----------

PS: there have been many discussions on this site around the topic of navigation/navmapupdates/etc

one of the best discussions probably was this one
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/197350-2010-nav-update.html
start with my post #74 and end around post #99 or so

within there is a really good article that I mention ... the link is dead now (forum squished it somewhere in the last few years)
good link to the "less than free" story is here: http://abovethecrowd.com/2009/10/29/google-redefines-disruption-the-less-than-free-business-model/
(http://abovethecrowd.com/2009/10/29/google-redefines-disruption-the-less-than-free-business-model/)

inspectorudy
09-16-13, 05:16 PM
I don't think there is anyone on this forum that thinks anything we get on our cars or cell phones is free. In my mind it means that I am not charged a one time or a monthly fee for it but that I am paying for it through obnoxious ads that appear at the wrong time. I think the dislike for the yearly Nav upgrade is that it doesn't tell you what was updated and where. I bought one for a Garmin a couple of years ago and the area where I live was still not on their updated maps and my neighborhood is over ten years old! A good point was made that if the auto industry doesn't get up to speed on their update system then the accessories that we are now buying as OEM options will be filled by aftermarket companies that understand the technology and the demand for more timely updates and apps. I sometime wonder why the auto industry couldn't have just gone with a smartphone and a big touch screen for the driver to use. That way we would have all of the things that we have now without all this gap in technology.

pissedoffwookiee
09-16-13, 08:10 PM
I don't think there is anyone on this forum that thinks anything we get on our cars or cell phones is free. In my mind it means that I am not charged a one time or a monthly fee for it but that I am paying for it through obnoxious ads that appear at the wrong time. I think the dislike for the yearly Nav upgrade is that it doesn't tell you what was updated and where. I bought one for a Garmin a couple of years ago and the area where I live was still not on their updated maps and my neighborhood is over ten years old! A good point was made that if the auto industry doesn't get up to speed on their update system then the accessories that we are now buying as OEM options will be filled by aftermarket companies that understand the technology and the demand for more timely updates and apps. I sometime wonder why the auto industry couldn't have just gone with a smartphone and a big touch screen for the driver to use. That way we would have all of the things that we have now without all this gap in technology.

I agree with that I wish GM bought Nokia before Microsoft did, then theyd own the maps and have a top notch consumer electronics company showing them tech how consumers are

bluztoo
09-16-13, 09:46 PM
In my experience you do need to bitch sometimes to get the people in charge to pay attention. But I also try to be constructive. Trust me, I'm no fan of Google. I think the real lesson is, find ways to respond to market changes. In this case it would mean getting map updates out more frequently probably on a subscription basis. And, I think people would pay for that. I also believe that it is totally within Cadillac's control to provide CUE updates to customers as long as the underlying hardware is compatible. The real goal is to create a broad community of enthusiasts which this car has and deserves, but it would be even stronger if folks felt like they were getting a little more value added along the way. Smart folks in Cadillac and GM are already having these discussions, I'm certain. I'm just trying to "help them along." ;-)

pissedoffwookiee
09-17-13, 02:20 AM
In my experience you do need to bitch sometimes to get the people in charge to pay attention. But I also try to be constructive. Trust me, I'm no fan of Google. I think the real lesson is, find ways to respond to market changes. In this case it would mean getting map updates out more frequently probably on a subscription basis. And, I think people would pay for that. I also believe that it is totally within Cadillac's control to provide CUE updates to customers as long as the underlying hardware is compatible. The real goal is to create a broad community of enthusiasts which this car has and deserves, but it would be even stronger if folks felt like they were getting a little more value added along the way. Smart folks in Cadillac and GM are already having these discussions, I'm certain. I'm just trying to "help them along." ;-)

there already is the subscription always up to date maps in our cars.....it called onstar, if the built in maps don't have the current data onstar can send it to your Nav on a route by route basis

inspectorudy
09-17-13, 11:37 AM
I didn't know about OnStar updates to our maps. How do you know that a map is not up to date? Is it that you are somewhere and what you see is not on the map you are looking at? When they send it to your Nav does it update the data base or is just for that one time use? Thanks for the tip.

rspitler
09-17-13, 12:19 PM
So I'm driving South on A1A in Florida just south of Melbourne Beach with the Atlantic ocean on my left. But, the Nav display has the water tagged as the Gulf of Mexico. Hmmmmm.......

pissedoffwookiee
09-17-13, 01:23 PM
I didn't know about OnStar updates to our maps. How do you know that a map is not up to date? Is it that you are somewhere and what you see is not on the map you are looking at? When they send it to your Nav does it update the data base or is just for that one time use? Thanks for the tip.

here's how it works:

A friend of mine sold an Escalade to the chargers quarterback (Rivers) but his house in a new developement was not on the vehicles maps so you could not type it in, he called onstar and they downloaded the location to the car and navigation to his home worked fine after that, the nav unit remembers i don't know how many exactly but something like your last ten destinations and it remembered it that way, but to prevent it from overwriting them (say if he navigated to 10 new locations) they saved his home in the addressbook, CUE works the same way.

so bottom line if where your going falls between the cracks of the every other year map update a call to onstar will get you there because their maps are always up to date, you can also have onstar look at traffic for you and send a route around a problem to your car if you opt out of XM nav traffic.

inspectorudy
09-17-13, 03:07 PM
I wonder why GM just didn't go with OnStar's Nav system? If they have the actual world map that is up to date they would be the people I would talk to if I was starting out. It's interesting that if you have OnStar put the info into your Nav it will last if you make it a favorite. But if the entire neighborhood is not in the database does it also show the entire road structure of the non-recorded neighborhood on the way to the saved address? And would the non-database neighborhood show up automatically if you were just driving through that neighborhood without going to the saved address? What a strange bunch of questions huh?

pissedoffwookiee
09-17-13, 05:05 PM
I wonder why GM just didn't go with OnStar's Nav system? If they have the actual world map that is up to date they would be the people I would talk to if I was starting out. It's interesting that if you have OnStar put the info into your Nav it will last if you make it a favorite. But if the entire neighborhood is not in the database does it also show the entire road structure of the non-recorded neighborhood on the way to the saved address? And would the non-database neighborhood show up automatically if you were just driving through that neighborhood without going to the saved address? What a strange bunch of questions huh?

in a way GM did go with Onstar's nav system it's installed in all our cars after all, i believe the database issue to be licensed hard copies loaded into our vehicles, as far as onstar always being up to date, my guess based on the maps in our onstar mobile apps and the send to car feature from map websites is they are probably using Bing/Mapquest/Google Maps which is why they're more up to date than the cars.

TonyT
09-17-13, 05:59 PM
Has anyone every had a problem with their nav not knowing left from right ?

I was following routes and the map would show I needed to take a right turn but the voice would say to take a left. This a happened a few times on different routes different locations , has it happened to anyone else ?

inspectorudy
09-17-13, 07:26 PM
It sounds like you need to touch the NAV icon about three times to get "Route up" back on your display. Everytime you tocuh the little NAV icon at the top of the screen it changes the display from the original setting. If you hit reset at the bottom I believe it will also go back to what you have in the "Settings" page. I had that happen to me one time in downtown Atlanta and it startled me for a second until I figured out what happened.

dmurphy
09-18-13, 10:05 AM
I'm hearing that the GMC Acadia just received a big software update for its IntelliLink systems .... wonder if there are goodies coming for CUE?

(Hoping for some new goodies for my SRX; Unfortunately my wife's Acadia is too old for any of the good stuff - it's an '08 that doesn't even have *gasp* Bluetooth!)

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-20-13, 11:16 AM
Has anyone every had a problem with their nav not knowing left from right ?

I was following routes and the map would show I needed to take a right turn but the voice would say to take a left. This a happened a few times on different routes different locations , has it happened to anyone else ?

Hello TonyT,

I am sorry you are experiencing a malfunction with your nav system. I see another forum member offered advice to reset the system. Have you been able to test this out yet? If you are still having issues and would like to discuss this with us, please reach out via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

TonyT
09-20-13, 08:37 PM
I don't think the suggestion will address my problem the turn shows correctly on the screen graphics it's shows I should take right turn which is correct. The problem is the voice says take a left turn.
It doesn't happen that often but it does seem to happen on the same stretch of road at the same turns. What difference would it make if you have it in 3D , North Up, or the other modes I would think no matter what mode it is in it should tell you to take a right turn if it's a right turn...lol

inspectorudy
09-21-13, 12:11 AM
I can't help you with the CUE voice in Nav because I never have it on. That voice is too much like an uptight 6th grade teacher for my taste.

inspectorudy
09-24-13, 10:29 AM
For those of you who use Iphones this article on the recent upgrade to IOS7 . I got a notification while I was at the doctor's office that an upgrade was available. I down loaded it and that was that. This is what CUE should be able to do or future CUE renditions so that all of the going to the dealers for the entire day are no longer necessary. Here is the link to the article that explains a lot of the new features of IOS7.
http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2013/09/23/ios-7-a-small-review-and-one-big-gripe/2/

dmurphy
09-24-13, 11:50 AM
For those of you who use Iphones this article on the recent upgrade to IOS7 . I got a notification while I was at the doctor's office that an upgrade was available. I down loaded it and that was that. This is what CUE should be able to do or future CUE renditions so that all of the going to the dealers for the entire day are no longer necessary. Here is the link to the article that explains a lot of the new features of IOS7.
http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2013/09/23/ios-7-a-small-review-and-one-big-gripe/2/

My last vehicle was a Ford. One of the things they got very, very right with their Sync system was the upgrade process.

You could download a file to a USB memory stick, and when you plugged said stick into the car, it would prompt you if you wanted to upgrade.

Very simple process; I don't see why CUE couldn't have the same thing.

pissedoffwookiee
09-24-13, 03:57 PM
My last vehicle was a Ford. One of the things they got very, very right with their Sync system was the upgrade process.

You could download a file to a USB memory stick, and when you plugged said stick into the car, it would prompt you if you wanted to upgrade.

Very simple process; I don't see why CUE couldn't have the same thing.

that is how CUE is updated, GM is just paranoid about the process, you have to trigger a programming mode while the engine is off, because of this they worry about a loss of power during the process bricking the radio, so they make it a dealer process, so the car can be hooked up to a battery tender during the process.

pkadanec
09-25-13, 08:23 AM
I am sorry, but does anyone else think that is crazy? I mean really, make it mandatory (or at the very least a warning as Apple does) that the vehicle needs to be running (hence charging the battery) when you do the upgrade. If a user (like my parents) are nervous or do not have the wherewithal to do it themselves, just give the OPTION of going to the dealer to perform the upgrade. Have some really strong phone tech support in place for the rest of us if we need it.

pissedoffwookiee
09-25-13, 08:46 AM
I am sorry, but does anyone else think that is crazy? I mean really, make it mandatory (or at the very least a warning as Apple does) that the vehicle needs to be running (hence charging the battery) when you do the upgrade. If a user (like my parents) are nervous or do not have the wherewithal to do it themselves, just give the OPTION of going to the dealer to perform the upgrade. Have some really strong phone tech support in place for the rest of us if we need it.

its more complicated than that, just as you can't change a belt/spark plug/oil while the engine is running, CUE is the same way because its linked to vehicle functions those functions cant be ripped out and replaced when they're running (because engine is on) and GM has to be a little paranoid for the same reason, if you brick your phone no big deal call tech support, if you brick CUE you also brick the car, don't forget the steering wheel controls and the DIC are part of CUE as is the changeable instrument cluster on XTS and the upcoming CTS. so the tire pressure system , oil life, fuel economy, courtesy lights, horns , door locks, driver personalization/seat memory, HVAC, etc have to be off to upgrade. so GM is taking the better safe than sorry approach and assumes everyone has an edgy battery.

inspectorudy
09-25-13, 09:16 AM
I read in the WSJ this morning that Ford assured an owner that they would update their INSYNC system for the new iPhone 5S soon. CUE?

pkadanec
09-26-13, 10:25 AM
I understand what you are saying, however... i have seen on numerous occasions in this forum and through personal experience (CUE reboots without warning) that CUE does not effect any of the standard "vehicle" functions (like say, then engine running or the instrument cluster display), so i am extrapolating from that, that CUE components COULD be upgraded without effecting normal vehicle operations. What would be really nice is a detailed explanation from GM, however i have not seen anyone from GM comment in months (save the standard marketing response).....

inspectorudy
09-26-13, 10:46 AM
"GM has to be a little paranoid for the same reason, if you brick your phone no big deal call tech support, if you brick CUE you also brick the car, don't forget the steering wheel controls and the DIC are part of CUE as is the changeable instrument cluster on XTS and the upcoming CTS. so the tire pressure system , oil life, fuel economy, courtesy lights, horns , door locks, driver personalization/seat memory, HVAC, etc have to be off to upgrade. so GM is taking the better safe than sorry approach and assumes everyone has an edgy battery".
I am not sure of all that you wrote about what systems would be affected but when I get routine upgrades to different software on my PC nothing else is affected if the update is designed properly. I do not see why a CUE update could not be targeted at one area of the system or just one or two new functions added to it without putting the entire system at risk of "Bricking". I am not a computer software designer nor do I try to act like one but am only reflecting on how our personal computers respond to updates or our smartphone react to new apps. We don't even consider that there can be a risk of crashing our phones. Like I said before I just downloaded a COMPLETE new OS on my iPhone while sitting in a doctor's office!

RippyPartsDept
09-26-13, 11:52 AM
sure your update (and mine) went through without a hitch
but GM does not want a single one of these types of experiences
https://www.google.com/search?q=ios7+update+bricked+site:discussions.appl e.com
(https://www.google.com/search?q=ios7+update+bricked+site:discussions.appl e.com)
supposedly there have been over 200,000,000 iOS7 updates already
if errors/complications only happen to a tenth of one percent of those users that is 200,000 people
GM doesn't have that many installs but even 20 or 200 would be unacceptable to them
... we're not talking about a consumer electronics product ... we're talking about a very expensive luxury car ($30,000-$80,000+)

maybe one day in the future when GM is confident that the update process and their codebase is stable enough they will let the owners do CUE updates on their own (or have the system do it autonomously on its own) ... but that day is not in the near future - that's for sure

Chris Shillinger
09-30-13, 01:36 PM
Depends on what you consider "near future." When the 2015 models switch to AT&T for OnStar, they vehicles will autonomously update themselves, or so I am told by GM employees.

inspectorudy
09-30-13, 03:41 PM
I think for me anyway that I considered the 2013 SRX BECAUSE of the update potential so that our cars could at least be current with GM's latest standards. I know that we cannot expect to get all of the new functions for free but fixes and making things work smoother should be free and continuous just like with Windows or Apple. I was told upon purchase that apps would be available for my SRX "Soon". I expect that to happen in my lifetime. I would also appreciate apps like "Favorites", one tap for one row and two for two etc instead of trying to maybe get the central favorite arrow head to not call up the menu or destination buttons next to it. Maybe a temperature setting app for each driver that would take you to the temp that you have to set every time you get into the driver's seat. How about an auto fold outside mirror setting or app? These are little things but keeping us old car owners in the update loop will surely keep us in the new car loop as well.

jghiller
06-10-14, 04:25 AM
With the 2014 CTS there is a microphone icon on home screen where you can start a SIRI session. I have been successful, after selecting microphone and then selecting START, to OPEN an iPhone application(in this case SiriusXM Internet Radio) and have it play. Apparently this sometimes does not work. I have also tried saying SIRI after the START button to gain access to SIRI and then try to open an application on iPhone. Successive attempts didnt work successfully. The SiriusXM app came up but didnt play. Radio played other playlists for unknown reason. Will look forward to the SIRI and CUE update. I only pray the dealers/service staff have some knowledge.

rustybear3
06-10-14, 10:48 AM
This is an old, old, thread.....and to this day no updates, apps....nothing. We'll see this summer or fall after the 2015's are released, but I'm not holding my breath. They got the money out of us first year and second year model buyers; seems their "promises" of keeping our CUE updated could turn out to be "empty" at best....we shall see........

GTPprix
06-10-14, 12:19 PM
I can probably add this for you guys, at least in theory. Anyone want to try? LOL

inspectorudy
06-10-14, 05:00 PM
Hey it could have been our ignition switches instead of CUE. We can be thankful for some things.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-10-14, 05:12 PM
With the 2014 CTS there is a microphone icon on home screen where you can start a SIRI session. I have been successful, after selecting microphone and then selecting START, to OPEN an iPhone application(in this case SiriusXM Internet Radio) and have it play. Apparently this sometimes does not work. I have also tried saying SIRI after the START button to gain access to SIRI and then try to open an application on iPhone. Successive attempts didnt work successfully. The SiriusXM app came up but didnt play. Radio played other playlists for unknown reason. Will look forward to the SIRI and CUE update. I only pray the dealers/service staff have some knowledge.

Hi jghiller,

I apologize for any frustration caused by these difficulties with your CUE system. Do you plan on taking this to the dealership or have you already contacted them regarding this concern? If you would like to discuss this concern further, please feel free to PM me with your VIN and we can look into your options.

Have a great night,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

jghiller
06-11-14, 06:42 AM
These are old posts so I am assuming my 2014 CTS built in April 2014 has latest updates?
Also in trying to access SIRI, I tried doing that via Microphone icon on home screen and starting a SIRI session to OPEN an application. It worked once but other times it opened application but kept playing the music that was already playing.

jghiller
06-11-14, 03:02 PM
Austin,

I sent you a PM with my info.
jghiller