: How to make decent quality avatar?

danbuc
01-05-05, 06:01 AM
I was just wondering what the best way to convert an image to 100X100 pixels while still retaining some level of detail. I used adobe photoshop on my mustang avatar that I just put up, but it looks like crap. I'm planning to take a nice picture of my car to use instead, but would like it to look a little better thatn the crappy image I have now. Is there any particular setting for resolution on a digital camera that is for taking pictures that can be downsized. Also, does anyone else use any other programs for doing this other than Adobe (it's a pain in the ass). Or, if you do use adobe, do you have any tips that might help me to make the image come out better. Thanks in advance.

Elvis
01-05-05, 12:05 PM
Go back to your original photo, then choose "resize" from the top menu. You'll have the option to resize by pixels or inches. Choose pixels.

Your photo is wider than it is tall, so only change the width to 100 pixels. The height should automatically adjust and will be less than 100. Your picture should still be proportional.

When you save it, use the "web" option. You might have to reduce resolution to get the size of the file small enough, but the quality won't suffer much.

Ralph probably knows other easier ways to do it. He has about 100 Natasha avatars.

Good luck!

Ralph
01-05-05, 02:40 PM
I was just wondering what the best way to convert an image to 100X100 pixels while still retaining some level of detail. I used adobe photoshop on my mustang avatar that I just put up, but it looks like crap. I'm planning to take a nice picture of my car to use instead, but would like it to look a little better thatn the crappy image I have now. Is there any particular setting for resolution on a digital camera that is for taking pictures that can be downsized. Also, does anyone else use any other programs for doing this other than Adobe (it's a pain in the ass). Or, if you do use adobe, do you have any tips that might help me to make the image come out better. Thanks in advance.

It looks like your width could be a little wider but it's still a good pic, and a great car!

Strange thing is, I saved your pic and was going to fix it for you but I can't find it under my jpeg list!! That's the first time thats happened to me??!! Strange.

If you want, post the full size pic here and I'l work on it later. ;)

I used to use Photoshoppe but now I have the software that came with the Epson all-in-one scanner.

slk230mb
01-05-05, 06:18 PM
Ralph probably knows other easier ways to do it. He has about 100 Natasha avatars.

Just out of curiosity, how many do you have?

Ralph
01-05-05, 06:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many do you have?

I've shown WELL OVER 100! I just keep finding fresh ones so I rotate and delete others, etc. I can get them back anytime. There is one good site that I use. :) I never keep more than 20 or so at one time. Everyone has to be downsized, color adjusted, sharpness, contrast, hue, cropped, etc. and you never see them in their original form either because of this.

It's fun. She's worth it. :worship:

Danbuc, there should be a pixel size setting on your digital camera. My friend has an upscale Sony and the sizes are adjustable. However, even the smallest setting is too large for an avatar so you should be able to use Photoshoppe to adjust it, but it takes a lot of patience sometimes. :)

EDIT: I see the problem, you have it saved as a GIF image, and I found it but cannot fix it as this type. It's much easier to work with imo as a jpeg.

c5 rv
01-05-05, 07:20 PM
Someone on another site turned me on to Easy Thumbnails from Fookes Software. It's free and works great for me.

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php

danbuc
01-05-05, 09:03 PM
Ralph, here is the full pic. I went back into photoshop and saved it as a jpg.

c5 rv, I downloaded that software and going to try it on the picture I'm going to take of my car next week, thanks.

Ralph
01-05-05, 09:11 PM
Is this ok? It's more proportional in size and if I didn't crop it to cut out the house, street, etc. the car would seem smaller. I sharpened it up and brightened it a bit. The width is a full 100 pixels and if I made it taller it would look funny.

danbuc
01-05-05, 09:23 PM
Thats alot better than my first attempt. I just tried it with that easy thumb program and it came out much better. That the one I just loaded. I think the main problem is that the car irself wasn't big enough in the picture and when I took it with my sony, I think it was on the highest resolution. I'm gonna try lowering the resolution and taking the picture so that the whole car is in the frame. I think then it will look much bigger and better. Thanks.

On a side note, I just noticed that the box with all of the different smiley faces is no longer appearing on the screen next to my reply. Hmmmm.......I wonder what I button I clicked......

Ralph
01-05-05, 09:30 PM
Thats alot better than my first attempt. I just tried it with that easy thumb program and it came out much better. That the one I just loaded. I think the main problem is that the car irself wasn't big enough in the picture and when I took it with my sony, I think it was on the highest resolution. I'm gonna try lowering the resolution and taking the picture so that the whole car is in the frame. I think then it will look much bigger and better. Thanks.

On a side note, I just noticed that the box with all of the different smiley faces is no longer appearing on the screen next to my reply. Hmmmm.......I wonder what I button I clicked......

Ya, the one you have now is excellent! I would stick with it. If you were going to take the pic again, stand a little closer to the car like you said and "just" squeeze it in from bumper to bumper. That should make for a larger avatar when you adjust it. ;) Or even a frontal-offset angle shot so that the pic won't be so narrow when you adjust it?

I've noticed today that I only have 2 vertical columns of smilies and the site is so slow right now I can barely stand it! It's been fast for the last couple of months for me because I upgraded to high speed cable. I run scans regularly to clean it so it has to be just this site, as everything else on the net runs fast.

danbuc
01-05-05, 11:37 PM
I don't have anything to the right of the text box at all. It's just blank. I went back into my option and "Show Smileys" was selected, so I don't know. Maybe that part is down right now or something. I've got cable internet here, so it only takes a few seconds to load the site. Oh well, maybe they'll come back up later.