: Replaced resonator with x pipe; not a fan with muffler delete

WesH8398
03-08-13, 09:54 PM
EDIT: Now that I've been driving around with this setup for a while, I actually don't think I'm going to change anything. I love it. The popping bugs me a bit, but I love how the car sounds too much to dull it down with mufflers. I had my wife do a few laps around the block so I could hear it from the outside, and man is it attention-grabbing. Sounds awesome, IMO. The decel popping doesn't sound bad at all from the outside, I just don't particularly like how it sounds in the cabin. Again, it's a trade-off I'm willing to accept for the way this thing sounds from the outside.
END EDIT.

I know ... Another exhaust thread that's unrelated to performance, but rather just about the sound. Apologies in advance, but I'm looking for suggestions.

I've been muffler-free since I've owned this car and always LOVED the sound, but I was ready for a change. I just wanted to step up the volume a bit. So today I replaced the resonator with a magnaflow x pipe: http://performancepeddler.com/catalog/magnaflow-10791-accessory-p-30188.html. It's definitely louder, but its also MUCH raspier, which I don't like... Especially on deceleration with the popping and so on. The popping was always there, but its now much more "tinny" and raspy.
Anyway, I'm just lookin for suggestions to tone down the rasp without ruining the louder volume. I know, I know..."put the resonator back on" is what youre thinking...LOL. Unfortunately that's been disposed of, so I'm basically looking for muffler options.
OEM manifolds and cats are the other part of the picture, and I am considering these magnaflow 11226 mufflers:http://performancepeddler.com/catalog/magnaflow-11226-universal-muffler-p-30207.html, but am not sure if they'll quiet things down too much.
Whaddya think?

darkman
03-08-13, 09:58 PM
I know ... Another exhaust thread that's unrelated to performance, but rather just about the sound. Apologies in advance, but I'm looking for suggestions.

I've been muffler-free since I've owned this car and always LOVED the sound, but I was ready for a change. I just wanted to step up the volume a bit. So today I replaced the resonator with a magnaflow x pipe: http://performancepeddler.com/catalog/magnaflow-10791-accessory-p-30188.html. It's definitely louder, but its also MUCH raspier, which I don't like... Especially on deceleration with the popping and so on. The popping was always there, but its now much more "tinny" and raspy.
Anyway, I'm just lookin for suggestions to tone down the rasp without ruining the louder volume. I know, I know..."put the resonator back on" is what youre thinking...LOL. Unfortunately that's been disposed of, so I'm basically looking for muffler options.
OEM manifolds and cats are the other part of the picture, and I am considering these magnaflow 11226 mufflers:http://performancepeddler.com/catalog/magnaflow-11226-universal-muffler-p-30207.html, but am not sure if they'll quiet things down too much.
Whaddya think?

A good tuner can tune out the racket on decel that the resonator used to cancel out.

JFensty
03-08-13, 09:59 PM
A good tuner can tune out the racket on decel that the resonator used to cancel out.

Interesting.....

HAMSTAR
03-08-13, 10:16 PM
http://m.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628883

WesH8398
03-09-13, 12:24 AM
Hamstar - original response edited because I thought you linked me to the "exhaust sticky" over there, which I've spent lots of time at. I did see that classifieds post the other day tho. Thanks for the link. Again, just not sure if those'll make things too quiet again. A bit of a conundrum.

Darkman - I don't have the $$ to throw at tuning, unfortunately.

Naf
03-09-13, 07:07 AM
Your resonator is an x-pipe btw...If you are lookin for a little louder roar and a little less weight then you are goin in the right direction. If you are lookin for performance, then get a new catback.

HAMSTAR
03-09-13, 11:11 AM
Hamstar - original response edited because I thought you linked me to the "exhaust sticky" over there, which I've spent lots of time at. I did see that classifieds post the other day tho. Thanks for the link. Again, just not sure if those'll make things too quiet again. A bit of a conundrum.

Darkman - I don't have the $$ to throw at tuning, unfortunately.

Hmm... well, to begin with-- full disclosure-- I am DACTARI on another forum, so those are my muffs for sale. From what I've read and seen and heard myself, you need some sort of muffling to get rid of that rasp you're referring to. Those mufflers plus the X pipe you have on now will sound almost identical to a full Magnaflow catback, so you can use that as your comparator. You will not gain a lick of performance by swapping out for another 2.5 inch exhaust, despite what my man Naf is sayin :cool:

The resonated OEM X-pipe muffles the high RPM note and turns it into more of a shhhhhhhhh-- that's what it was like for you, right? The X-pipe plus Magnaflow will sound like a proper catback, with burbles and rumble all the way through the rev range.

WesH8398
03-09-13, 11:14 AM
Your resonator is an x-pipe btw...If you are lookin for a little louder roar and a little less weight then you are goin in the right direction. If you are lookin for performance, then get a new catback.

As I said in my OP, this wasn't a performance mod. It was only acoustics-related. :)
I would like to disagree with the sentiment that a cat back would provide any more "performance" than replacing/deleting the resonator and mufflers. Unless you go with larger diameter pipes on the cat-back, I don't see those flowing any better than an OEM cat-back with modified mid-pipe and deleted or swapped mufflers. Maybe it would, but I think it'd be pretty insignificant...

rand49er
03-09-13, 11:27 AM
So, just to clarify for us oldsters, you currently have OEM exh manifolds, OEM cats, the Magniflow xpipe, and then straight back to the tips. Is that right? It would seem to me that you could consider eliminating the xpipe and see what kind of sound you get. The OEM cats do an amazing amount of noise suppression, so it may be only marginally louder if at all.

WesH8398
03-09-13, 11:28 AM
Hmm... well, to begin with-- full disclosure-- I am DACTARI on another forum, so those are my muffs for sale. From what I've read and seen and heard myself, you need some sort of muffling to get rid of that rasp you're referring to. Those mufflers plus the X pipe you have on now will sound almost identical to a full Magnaflow catback, so you can use that as your comparator. You will not gain a lick of performance by swapping out for another 2.5 inch exhaust, despite what my man Naf is sayin :cool:

The resonated OEM X-pipe muffles the high RPM note and turns it into more of a shhhhhhhhh-- that's what it was like for you, right? The X-pipe plus Magnaflow will sound like a proper catback, with burbles and rumble all the way through the rev range.

Well, I've posted in your thread over there then ;) I like the tips I currently have, and can get the magnaflow version (#11226) of those mufflers for $70 each from performance peddler. So, I'm not sure that buying your mufflers is the best way to go yet.
Thanks for the info though. You beat me to it on the performance thing that Naf was referring to. What it sounds like I'd really need to get rid of the decel popping would be a "j-pipe" setup or a decrease in timing on the decel tune table, but I'm not willing to go to those lengths. Certainly, I think mufflers of some type are the way to go.
Oh hey, while I've got your attention... Is the easiest muffler to install a "centre/offset"? Any specific size that's less fab work than another? I believe your mufflers are 14" ovals, right? As are those Magnaflows..,

So, just to clarify for us oldsters, you currently have OEM exh manifolds, OEM cats, the Magniflow xpipe, and then straight back to the tips. Is that right? It would seem to me that you could consider eliminating the xpipe and see what kind of sound you get. The OEM cats do an amazing amount of noise suppression, so it may be only marginally louder if at all.

You're correct. I don't really wanna lose the (performance) benefits of the x-pipe though. And it's not that I hate the sound/volume that the X added. It's mostly the decel that I'm not a fan of... And it's just a tad "raspy" for my liking.

HAMSTAR
03-09-13, 11:36 AM
I would like to disagree with the sentiment that a cat back would provide any more "performance" than replacing/deleting the resonator and mufflers. Unless you go with larger diameter pipes on the cat-back, I don't see those flowing any better than an OEM cat-back with modified mid-pipe and deleted or swapped mufflers. Maybe it would, but I think it'd be pretty insignificant...

Yup, this is exactly right. My exhaust guy said the OEM pipe wasn't the smoothest on the inside, and thought you could get some better flow with higher-grade pipe and welding, but that it would be minimal gain and to save my $ for 3 inch pipe.

rand49er
03-09-13, 11:59 AM
... a decrease in timing on the decel tune table ...I think the tuner would dial in an advance in timing during decel so the burn starts early and doesn't continue long after the exhaust valve has opened.

Any chance you know someone who has a hand-held tuner and you have the time and fortitude to delve into it yourself?

WesH8398
03-09-13, 03:05 PM
Any chance you know someone who has a hand-held tuner and you have the time and fortitude to delve into it yourself?
That's a negative. Wish I did, because I would be ok with the exhaust sound without the decel issues...

WesH8398
03-10-13, 08:46 PM
Out if curiosity, do any of you know what size the mufflers are that come with the magnaflow cat-back? Are they the 14" body? Reason I ask is because I'm looking at either the 14" or 11" Magnaflows. I can't seem to find the info on which exact mufflers come with the cat-back, but I'm assuming its the 14" model. I just wonder if I'd be better off going with the smaller 11" model, to keep the volume level up; as I'm a bit afraid that adding mufflers to my setup might make things MORE quiet than when I started, which would be the opposite effect of what I was going for.
Anyway, any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

HAMSTAR
03-10-13, 08:58 PM
This listing says 14 inches: http://www.lmperformance.com/6455/68.html

If the decel popping is all that's bothering you, try getting it tuned out. There are tuners that work remotely and can probably send oh a tune for less than the cost of a new set of mufflers and labor to have them mounted. Just a thought.

WesH8398
03-10-13, 09:11 PM
This listing says 14 inches: http://www.lmperformance.com/6455/68.html

If the decel popping is all that's bothering you, try getting it tuned out. There are tuners that work remotely and can probably send oh a tune for less than the cost of a new set of mufflers and labor to have them mounted. Just a thought.

Thanks for confirming that!
I don't have a spare ECM, or my own handheld/tuner, so I'm thinking that the ~$200 it'll cost me to get the mufflers and have em installed would be quite a bit less than the tuning option...No?

HAMSTAR
03-10-13, 09:43 PM
I'm just not sure how much the mufflers will tune down the popping to your liking-- that seems to be a trait of the x pipe. Mufflers will def lower the volume and thereby decrease the popping sound, but it won't go back to how it was before.

Wish I could send you my resonator in exchange for your x pipe, cause I love the pops! Maybe someone has a resonator lying around?

JFensty
03-16-13, 01:06 PM
Just a thought, but do you have any exhaust leaks? Mine only pops on decel when I have a leak at the head or collector. After the leak was fixed I did not have any more popping.

WesH8398
03-16-13, 05:13 PM
Interesting possibility, but I'm pretty sure I'm leak-free.

Now that I've been driving around with this setup for a while, I actually don't think I'm going to change anything. I love it. The popping bugs me a bit, but I love how the car sounds too much to dull it down with mufflers. I had my wife do a few laps around the block so I could hear it from the outside, and man is it attention-grabbing. Sounds awesome, IMO. The decel popping doesn't sound bad at all from the outside, I just don't particularly like how it sounds in the cabin. Again, it's a trade-off I'm willing to accept for the way this thing sounds from the outside.

Heliboy
03-20-13, 12:48 AM
ok this is my first post here so be gentle please. I was having the same trouble as you are and here is what i ended up with. A sexy set of jet hotted pace setter long tubes plus the over priced corsa cat back system... removed resonator and replaced with X Pipe and replaced corsa muffs with Flow master super 44's
yes i am 23 and i like loud unlike most older folks.... but the amount of people i get commenting on my car now doubled with this setup.. no decel flack. just meaner than shit accel sound and smooth decel. plus idle is nice evenwith ms3 cam

HAMSTAR
03-20-13, 01:43 AM
Let me know if you're interested in selling those corsa muffs