: Selling 1999 Escalade

rondoman
03-08-13, 06:30 PM
Well I took my Escalade to the mechanic due to a loud ticking noise when cold. It would go away after 5-10 minutes of starting. It has 124,000 miles on it.

Anyways, they said they took the cover off and the engine was clean inside, but dry. The gauge read about 50 lbs. of pressure and they said it looked like oil pressure loss coming from somewhere and that no oil was getting to the top of the engine. They recommended a new engine.

It also needs all new brakes, was leaking coolant from the front and their was a small leak from the master cylinder. New tires will also be needed soon.

Well, after hearing all this I pretty much said screw it, I am gonna get a new vehicle that doesnt guzzle gas and isnt a problem anymore. Not worth sticking thousands of dollars into a 14 year old vehicle when you never know what will go next.

So, a guy I work with wants to buy it for $2000 and I was wondering if that was a fair price. You can find values on the internet but not when it needs a new engine, brakes, tires, and such.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to unload this thing tomorrow morning, thanks.

mikedyk43
03-08-13, 11:41 PM
Well I took my Escalade to the mechanic due to a loud ticking noise when cold. It would go away after 5-10 minutes of starting. It has 124,000 miles on it.

Anyways, they said they took the cover off and the engine was clean inside, but dry. The gauge read about 50 lbs. of pressure and they said it looked like oil pressure loss coming from somewhere and that no oil was getting to the top of the engine. They recommended a new engine.

It also needs all new brakes, was leaking coolant from the front and their was a small leak from the master cylinder. New tires will also be needed soon.

Well, after hearing all this I pretty much said screw it, I am gonna get a new vehicle that doesnt guzzle gas and isnt a problem anymore. Not worth sticking thousands of dollars into a 14 year old vehicle when you never know what will go next.

So, a guy I work with wants to buy it for $2000 and I was wondering if that was a fair price. You can find values on the internet but not when it needs a new engine, brakes, tires, and such.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to unload this thing tomorrow morning, thanks.

Regardless of what market value says your car should be worth, the problems you are describing drastically change it's price tag. If you are not mechanical enough to fix or replace an engine yourself, then I suggest getting rid of it before it stops running. If you hold out for a higher bidder and it quits on you, then you will be haggling with junk yards for a sale price in the hundreds instead of thousands.

rondoman
03-09-13, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the response!

I couldn't sell it to someone without telling them the issue. Im sure I could sell it for a lot more while withholding the information about the engine but in good conscious cannot do that.

The guy that wants to buy it for 2k has his own shop and a Suburban engine for it. I was curious if 2k was a good price for me to get for it as he knows the condition and I assume unloading it for 2k would be my best bet. I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever.

With needing a new engine, tires, brakes, alignment n such Im thinking it's best.

Sad day tho.

the cadillac man
03-09-13, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the response!

I couldn't sell it to someone without telling them the issue. Im sure I could sell it for a lot more while withholding the information about the engine but in good conscious cannot do that.

The guy that wants to buy it for 2k has his own shop and a Suburban engine for it. I was curious if 2k was a good price for me to get for it as he knows the condition and I assume unloading it for 2k would be my best bet. I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever.

With needing a new engine, tires, brakes, alignment n such Im thinking it's best.

Sad day tho.

I agree with mike it's better to let the next owner know of any problems no matter what they are and given that if you kept the truck you would need to rebuild or replace the engine as it would fail in the shape its in and given that the truck needs other work done it may be best to take the 2 grand and let it go as you can take the money and put it in on another (and possibly newer)truck which would be better for you

rondoman
03-09-13, 12:21 AM
Thanks guys for the input.

The funny part of the story is the guy Im selling it to for 2k is the guy I bought it from 4 years ago lol.

the cadillac man
03-09-13, 12:26 AM
Thanks guys for the input.

The funny part of the story is the guy Im selling it to for 2k is the guy I bought it from 4 years ago lol.

Wow that's a odd turn of events

rondoman
03-09-13, 12:35 AM
Lol yeah. Bought in 2009 for 7k. Been a great 4 years but the needing a new engine and $90 in gas a week its time. Hes buying his Caddy back lol.

the cadillac man
03-09-13, 12:47 AM
Lol yeah. Bought in 2009 for 7k. Been a great 4 years but the needing a new engine and $90 in gas a week its time. Hes buying his Caddy back lol.

I hear you on the fuel but look on the bright side at least you know it will be fixed right and you won't have to pay the cost to fix it(a new engine in a truck that old would be worth more then the truck itself) and it won't be sold to someone who didn't know of the engine problems or how to fix them

mikedyk43
03-09-13, 07:23 PM

$7000 - $2000 = $5000. Divide that by four years and the vehicle has cost you just over $100 per month. That's not too bad.

MrHolland
03-09-13, 08:43 PM
^^^Agreed