: Audible Vibration only in 6th

aggierichie
03-08-13, 10:18 AM
Hey all, I am brand new to the Cadillac world. In fact, i havent owned a car in my entire life.... always trucks. That being said I am not used to sitting close to the motor and Tranny like i do now. I just bought an 04 CTS V one owner car from an older gentleman. The car has never been modded or raced (so he says) and is in great condition. The clutch holds fine and pulls fine in every gear with no slip. The major issue that I am hearing/feeling is when i put it in 6th gear there is a low vibration that you can actually hear. It almost feels like a bearing is out in the driveshaft (at least thats what it feels like in a truck) however it does NOT do it in any other gear. Is this just a CTSV/car thing?

THanks for your help and for this great forum! I have already done the muffler delete and Ive owned the car less than a week. I cant wait to really start getting into it!

darkman
03-08-13, 10:34 AM
The Tremec T-56 transmission has a known weakness related to 6th gear. This weakness is actually more susceptible to conservative drivers who tend to shift into 6th early. If this is the condition you are experiencing it usually shows up first in the form of vibration at highway speeds that do not occur at the same speed in either 5th or 6th gear. The only remedy is to replace certain internal transmission components related to 6th gear.

rand49er
03-08-13, 10:59 AM
... I just bought an 04 CTS V one owner car from an older gentleman. ...

... This weakness is actually more susceptible to conservative drivers who tend to shift into 6th early. ...Memo to self: Wind it out more in fifth gear.

aggierichie
03-08-13, 11:28 AM
Hahaha Cool, Thanks guys. So I am taking two things from this a. Its relatively normal and is not going to break on me and b. i just need to quit driving it like a pu$$y.

HAMSTAR
03-08-13, 11:36 AM
Easy way to remember it: Only use 6th at highway speeds over 1500 RPM. I'm really only comfortable using 6th at 2000 RPM. Never use 6th around town.

rand49er
03-08-13, 01:36 PM
... a. Its relatively normal and is not going to break on me ...That vibration can't be good for your trans housing, mounts, etc. I'd get that attended to as soon as you reasonably can.

carlson_mn
03-08-13, 02:56 PM
Easy way to remember it: Only use 6th at highway speeds over 1500 RPM. I'm really only comfortable using 6th at 2000 RPM. Never use 6th around town.

2k rpm? That's staying in 5th gear up to 70mph. That would drive me crazy. Just don't lug it around in 6th gear and be on and off the gas in it at lower speeds, if you keep it smooth your 6th gear will be fine.

----------

Hahaha Cool, Thanks guys. So I am taking two things from this a. Its relatively normal and is not going to break on me and b. i just need to quit driving it like a pu$$y.
http://www.tickperformance.com/six-speed-rebuilds/ they specialize in T56 rebuilds and I think they will rebuild it for around $1300 and that includes shipping both ways. You just have to get the tranny removed and installed...