: First time this forum failed me

Trionalaw
03-08-13, 10:24 AM
I recently put to post on this forum about whether a tire setup within the OEM wheels and what type of spacers I should get. Between the two I had nearly 400 "looks" but no responses.

A few weeks ago I found out about the "cadillacowners" forum. I placed the same to post on it and got responses within 36 hours.

I always sing the praises of this forum and others. However, I think it is also important to set out times in the form is not as responsive. It keeps things honest. I felt both of my questions were very serious.

I suspect I will get a lot of responses to this telling me to "eat sh__ and die", "what makes you so special?" and you must live by the motto: "It's all about me or, if not, it should be." Since I've been married for 30 years, a bunch of critical comments won't bother me much.

So be it. This forum has criticized Cadillac at times.

Enjoy your weekend,

Jim

the forum I referred to should be "ctsvowners."

tkracing
03-08-13, 11:21 AM
Glad you found the answer to your question. Sorry we didn't have the answer for you.... :)

I will say it is kinda funny... when you try to type in the other websites name on this site it automatically changes to Cadillacowners. A little insecure this site must be to go to those lengths.

Trionalaw
03-08-13, 12:06 PM
For whatever reason I can't edit my post. The forum that came to my assistance is the "CTSVowners" forum.

Sorry for the mistake.

Jim

daowens
03-08-13, 12:46 PM
cadillacowners.com

Edit: haha, I had to try it for myself.

Wannago
03-08-13, 01:49 PM
I think what you are trying to say is:

"See"
"Tee"
"Ess"
"Vee"
"Owners"
dot
com

There are a lot of knowlegeable folks over there and a lot of information can ge gleaned from that other site with far less "propoganda". Plus its a "Katie-free" zone. LOL

RippyPartsDept
03-08-13, 02:51 PM
there was some breaking of the forum rules and there were some bans and then the other site was started
they began to actively recruit members here to join their forum and started a cold war of sorts
now they're the forum that shall not be named

in my opinion it was all one big misunderstanding that at some point became "a bridge too far" and there was no going back
and truthfully, i don't really know the whole/real story

Karch
03-09-13, 02:34 PM
I recently put to post on this forum about whether a tire setup within the OEM wheels and what type of spacers I should get. Between the two I had nearly 400 "looks" but no responses.

A few weeks ago I found out about the "cadillacowners" forum. I placed the same to post on it and got responses within 36 hours.

I always sing the praises of this forum and others. However, I think it is also important to set out times in the form is not as responsive. It keeps things honest. I felt both of my questions were very serious.

I suspect I will get a lot of responses to this telling me to "eat sh__ and die", "what makes you so special?" and you must live by the motto: "It's all about me or, if not, it should be." Since I've been married for 30 years, a bunch of critical comments won't bother me much.

So be it. This forum has criticized Cadillac at times.

Enjoy your weekend,

Jim

the forum I referred to should be "ctsvowners."

Why is this not being allowed through?

Wannago
03-09-13, 02:42 PM
To prevent a mass exodus? :duck:

RippyPartsDept
03-09-13, 02:51 PM
Why is this not being allowed through?

Did you read my post directly before yours? i thought i explained it pretty well
while i'm not an official spokesperson for this forum i think i explained what anyone who was around at the time could plainly see
there are probably some other reasons/nuances/intricacies to the answer but you should be able to at least get a little bit of an idea why

----------

To prevent a mass exodus? :duck:

the exodus had already happened and many came back
also, there are a bunch of dual members across both boards

they were basically using this site to advertise for their site (for free)
which is a big no-no in the user agreement (and common courtesy)

imho this community is better
it certainly is bigger and more active

Karch
03-09-13, 03:07 PM
I did read it. But, I also thought we, at least most of us, live in a country that honors, even cherishes, free speech.

I'm on multiple forums, and avoid any of the name calling, but, in all honesty, isn't this about enthusiasts, and for enthusiasts?

I think links should be allowed both ways, anything less is bordering on, or more accurately, crossing over into censorship.

Just my two cents.

RippyPartsDept
03-09-13, 03:50 PM
i appreciate your 2c, but it is a business too

imagine:
what if you started a business and begin to foster a community around that business
eventually you nurture it into the largest/premier community in it's niche
then some of your community members decide to start a competing business
and they come to your community and recruit your community members over to their business
away from your community and your business
that would be okay with you?

as i think about those days more some of the specifics of what was going on at the time are coming back ... some aren't
i believe it kind of started with a vendor war
vendors bad mouthing each other and lying about and smearing each other
inciting division among the community and causing unneeded social negativity
it was not cool and many people probably said and did things that they regret

then one of the vendors decided to start their own forum so they could write the rules for who can be a vendor and who can say what
(and have the final decision on what gets to be censored and what doesn't)
that's fine with me... i prefer the rules and regulations for vendors here personally
but i can understand this site's beef with them coming back here to advertise (for free mind you... this is an ad supported business)
on this forum anyone can say anything about any vendor (as long as it's true)
there are lots of complaint threads ... and nothing gets taken down (unlike many other forums where you can't speak ill of the vendors)

i'm just trying to explain what happened and explain why i understand site's policy regarding mentioning/linking that site
you were around back then, right? did you not witness the whole debacle?

Karch
03-09-13, 05:06 PM
Granted, it is a business, but it's also a forum.

Perhaps I am naive, but I still believe first amendment trumps. I don't blame the forum hosts/owner for not wanting the other forum advertised, but to censor their existence, I personally think that's going beyond it, and, if I may, not taking the higher road.

As an example, and this happened last week to me. A solid customer asked why he should by my product rather than our closest competitor. First thing I said is that they make a quality product. I said I feel ours is better, and we are well known to have the best service and support in the industry. I further cited an annual, independent survey of users in the field, and mentioned we are ranked #1 every year.

If not for our competitor, we would be complacent, and not push to develop new and better products, and sooner to market.

I didn't say anything derogatory about them, but I know they do about us. That's ok, I still get the majority of the business in my region, by a long shot.

There's room for both forums, many members are on both. If it's all about the business, and not the passion, then it will fail. It's a finicky group, but it's a hobby for most, first and foremost.

Trapspeed
03-09-13, 05:20 PM
Not to turn this personal (far from it) but I know many people who look at posts and don't comment because we don't know the answer. What's worse? Reading and answering, simply typing half-assed responses for the sake of feedback itself and sending someone down a path of failure or reading a post because you're interested in trying to help someone but knowing when to keep your mouth shut so you don't screw the OP? It happens a lot....as it did to you but be glad you didn't get a garbage response from someone who thought they knew what you needed but didn't.

Karch
03-09-13, 05:26 PM
Good point, Trapspeed.

How about those that write "subscribed"? I think, why bother, just go to the thread tools and subscribe that way? Less intrusive.

Trapspeed
03-09-13, 06:40 PM
That, too. I remember all too many times reading something some kid posted in response to something on the old LS1tech boards that made me shake my head and say, "WTF?". Best of intentions gone wrong....and someone else pays for it.

RippyPartsDept
03-11-13, 11:33 AM
I don't think you're being naive and i totally understand your example (we're the same way with our competition here in town - the other dealers)
but your example isn't quite the same thing - your competitor didn't trash-talk you in your own store and try to convince your customers that you sucked and they were better than you

also... just a quick note about free speech and the 1st amendment
this was posted years ago by a moderator:
The first amendment was intended to prevent government from restricting your right to speech. CadillacOwners.com is a privately owned community with its own set of rules and restrictions, so this thread is now locked.

i think the crew/staff here does a great job balancing the desire for a completely open and free community while still maintaining order
also the community does a great job self policing when needed but also does not needing to be policed all that much either (which says a lot)

i would also agree with you that banning even naming the other site is silly/childish but that is such a small thing (and they do/did have a good reason)

Karch
03-11-13, 11:52 AM
No problem, I totally get that this is a privately-owned forum, and can respect that.

I just think that in the end it would be in everyone's best interest that a link here and there, without any slanderous comments, would be acceptable.

RippyPartsDept
03-11-13, 04:51 PM
yes, i agree... maybe enough time has passed that we can convince management/admin/ownership to lift the 'shall not be named' censor

... maybe not though ... i was not privy to any of the backroom conversations and goings-on during the aforementioned vendor war and banishment

Rule12b
03-11-13, 06:10 PM
To the OP: I saw your thread. I run the widened/reversed OEM setup (or at least I did, now I'm selling that setup), problem is, I'm not sure of the spacers I'm running since I switched sizes on them and I couldn't find it in my records. That's just bad luck. It's a pretty narrow inquiry and clearly the folks that could answer didn't see it. But as far as the forum failing you? Well, no one has bought my recaros or my wheels and tires yet, but I can't say I blame the forum. :-)

RippyPartsDept
03-11-13, 06:16 PM
... #firstworldproblems (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23firstworldproblems)