: 1999 Cadillac Catera - sluggish shifts

CadillacManny
03-07-13, 10:45 PM
78k miles old people owners. garage kept. Great shape! They didn't drive it as much and the engine seals dryed up. When I bought it 4 months ago... So far I'm the second owner... When I bought it I smelt oil a lot and took it to Kelly Cadillac in Pennsylvania they replaced almost all the gaskets for 1600. Fixed problem! Love car no more problem. Winter comes around some cold mornings I get in car and go to school and the car doesn't like to to shift out of 1st gear until I let of gas and then it kinda works it way into 2nd. After it goes into second if I stop and start back up I DONOT have problem and car is still cold. What cold be problem. Literally car looks like it was just pulled of lot. Inside and out. Take care of it likes its my baby.

MoistCabbage
03-08-13, 03:44 AM
Have you checked the transmission fluid level and condition?

Had the codes pulled?

----------

Manny, you need to use more descriptive thread titles. You now have 3 threads titled "1999 Cadillac Catera". One with pictures, one about headlights, and one about a transmission issue.

JohnJJO
03-08-13, 04:43 AM
Im having the same problem that i been fighting for a year now. I change trans. fluid three times. Last one with new type synthetic dex 6 and still have issue. Only one thing help if u let it seat running for a few minutes. Few guys here repoted that they had low oil level and adding solved issue. I would check level first. To do it u have to drive your vehicle for 15 miles to bring tranny to normal working themp, then jack it up on both sides to level whole vehicle and on running engine remove check plug. Add fluid until its start to coming out. And u done. I would recommend to stop by autoparts store before u do all that and get u 1 quart of dextron 3 and hand pump - should be around $10 for it. Why I said dextron 3 not dextron 6 that recommend by manufacture as a replacement, because u have old dex 3 in it and I personally don't like to mix stuff, even if GM saying that dex 6 is full compatible fluid, I would not doit. In your situation pay twice for Dex 6 will not make differents. Due to the fact that vehicle was not in use for along time, allot of moisture could be in tranny, mixing with oil could slip gears or bring all kind of issue in the beginning, but in normal driving in few weeks moisture should evaporate.

CadillacManny
03-08-13, 08:57 AM
Okay thank you! And sorry ill start describing the titles!

investor74
03-08-13, 09:12 PM
This is not a problem, it is the way the car works. We've had our Catera since Nov 1996 and it has behaved this way since new. It hangs in first gear when cold the first shift, then shifts normally from there. Search this forum and see the same problem and answer presented many times.

Some say it is by design to help warm up the engine and trans, and that is what the dealer told me over 16 years ago when I brought it in under warranty. That is also the reason most often given by forum members.

MoistCabbage
03-09-13, 02:40 AM
Higher shift points when cold is normal, but "sluggish" shifts are not. Manny, when it does shift, is it quick and positive?

jupiter57
03-09-13, 11:49 AM
This is not a problem, it is the way the car works. We've had our Catera since Nov 1996 and it has behaved this way since new. It hangs in first gear when cold the first shift, then shifts normally from there. Search this forum and see the same problem and answer presented many times.

Some say it is by design to help warm up the engine and trans, and that is what the dealer told me over 16 years ago when I brought it in under warranty. That is also the reason most often given by forum members.

Came here to post this!
Sounds normal to me.

CadillacManny
03-09-13, 05:50 PM
Only does it when engine Is cold in cold mornings. It's normal