: Worn motor/transmission/etc. mount symptoms?

fre1102
03-07-13, 02:29 PM
My brother thinks his something in his car (a 2005, if it changes anything) is going out. He says the shifter is sloppy and there's a clunk on acceleration/deceleration. But he says the clunk is from the front and rear of the car.

I told him the first thing is a bad transmission mount and the second thing is probably the diff. bushing. The clunk from the front I don't know about.

His car is at about 90,000 miles. He's coming up here to see me next weekend probably, so we could swap out everything then. I guess the question is how to tell if the motor mounts really are bad (I'm pretty sure about the diff. and trans. mount). He doesn't have a jack (and he's not allowed to work on the car in his complex garage, anyway, apparently), so he can't just roll under it to look.

My motor mounts look okay, and I don't have any issues, so I can't describe to him what mounts sound or feel like when they go.

I'd almost think we could just swap them on spec., but I wonder if they are truly bad would it be damaging anything from him to drive the car up here (about 400 miles).

I'm about to swap all the bushings out on mine, so it'd be no big deal to just park his car right next to mine and repeat the process. I just wonder if he needs them at all, and if he really does, if it'll hurt anything for him to get it up here.

What are the symptoms of bad motor mounts, and is another 400 miles likely to really hurt anything?

HAMSTAR
03-07-13, 03:34 PM
Sounds like motor mounts. If he is on stock mounts at 90K miles, he def needs them replaced.

fre1102
03-08-13, 11:40 AM
So 90k, just replace them no matter what?

You think it'll hurt anything to drive it up here? Some of these threads have horror stories.

FuzzyLogic
03-08-13, 11:43 AM
So 90k, just replace them no matter what?

You think it'll hurt anything to drive it up here? Some of these threads have horror stories.

My original motor mounts went bad at 15,000 miles. You're due.

HAMSTAR
03-08-13, 12:03 PM
You think it'll hurt anything to drive it up here?

Just accelerate gently so you don't force any clunks.

By the way, at your mileage, you will likely need a radiator, water pump and harmonic balancer soon, too. You can either wait till they go bad or replace them pre-emptively. If you ever have cause to remove the radiator, I would take the chance to replace all those goodies, as well as serpentine belt and AC belt.

fre1102
03-08-13, 12:49 PM
Just accelerate gently so you don't force any clunks.

By the way, at your mileage, you will likely need a radiator, water pump and harmonic balancer soon, too. You can either wait till they go bad or replace them pre-emptively. If you ever have cause to remove the radiator, I would take the chance to replace all those goodies, as well as serpentine belt and AC belt.

Wait, what? *My* car is at 80k (I was asking about my brother's car for the MMs)--what's this about radiators, etc.?

My radiator, water pump, and balancer seem fine. Did I miss a thread somewhere? Those things are sketchy?

I'll order MMs for him and check his radiator, too, though. I'm holding coolant just fine.

What are the symptoms of the harmonic balancer failing?

HAMSTAR
03-08-13, 12:52 PM
lol, sorry, your brother's car. Just search around man, the problems with those parts are well documented. I'm not saying to go looking for a problem, but if you ever have ccause to have the radiator out, save yourself the labor and do all that shit at once.

fre1102
03-08-13, 03:00 PM
lol, sorry, your brother's car. Just search around man, the problems with those parts are well documented. I'm not saying to go looking for a problem, but if you ever have ccause to have the radiator out, save yourself the labor and do all that shit at once.

I'll look through the threads. I finally got my car where I want it (mostly). I didn't realize the radiator was a cause for concern. I'll be paranoid now, thanks. :-)

My brother, on the other hand, is lucky every day when his car even starts--his motto is "buy it and do nothing until it quits running or until I total it". He wouldn't even bother with the motor mounts except he says it's clanking and he doesn't like the noise or thumping. I'm almost afraid to change the oil when he gets here--it's almost like, "it's been good this long, messing with it might screw something up."

The bummer is that his paint looks *sooooo* much better than mine right now. Like new.

jashearer
03-08-13, 03:19 PM
For fux sake... sometimes I wonder if people around here work for the GM Parts division...

No need to replace parts until they show sign of failure. Use your jack, or a large pry bar to check for excessive movement in the mounts (and check for cracking/fluid leaks), use your eyes to check for leaks in the radiator or water pump.

Jay

04CTS-Vnomiles
03-11-13, 01:06 AM
Definately replace the diff. Bushings too. I was having a major clunk in my drivetrain and I am still under warranty so I brought it in to dealer and had the diff bushing replaced. Feels like a different car. Shifts sooo much smoother. They said the diff bushing was popping out of the housing. Of course I wish they would have just need replaced with some aftermarket CS ones or something, but since I got it done for free I wasn't going to go and do it myself just to put aftermarket ones in.