: Which Brand Water Pump

avlnche
03-07-13, 01:20 PM
I took my truck for a pressure test last weekend and confirmed water pump is starting to leak. They wanted over 500 to replace it. I saw the youtube video online and saw how its an easy project.

My question is what brand should I stick with? I looked at autozone, advanced auto parts, pep boys and all were around the same price between 110 and 120 but were all different brands.

I thought maybe let me check the dealer and they want 350 for the water pump. So I dont think I will be going that route.

Anyone have any suggestions which I should go with or possibly there is someone who knows where I can get OEM for around that price.

I plan to replace the thermostat, thermostat housing, and serpentine belt while I am in there doing the water pump.

icaddy
03-07-13, 02:30 PM
OEM is a good idea. Check rockauto.com, AC Delco is the OEM brand.

Black02Escalade
03-07-13, 02:38 PM
www.gmpartsonline.net

It's a dealer out of McAllen, Tx. Usually about 50% of dealer prives for quality OEM parts.

90limited
03-07-13, 04:04 PM
I bought a non OEM pump (Bosch i think) from Rockauto and have had no problems with it. It fit with not problems and was $40 less than an A/C Delco...

jnrsesv
03-07-13, 06:43 PM
I went with The Zone one, Duralast I believe. Bolted right up and have had zero issues thus far.

You may want to check the seperate AC serpentine belt as well, its much smaller and is located lower front left side.

wesyder
03-07-13, 09:17 PM
I went with The Zone one, Duralast I believe. Bolted right up and have had zero issues thus far.

You may want to check the seperate AC serpentine belt as well, its much smaller and is located lower front left side.

Same here, when mine failed auto zone was the closest to me

scottg05
03-08-13, 08:54 AM
I just did mine on my 05 ext 2 weeks ago. Wanted the ac delco so bought it at the stealership. DO not buy from the dealer they soaked me about $400 for the pump (which came with 2 gaskets), therm housing, therm, 2 therm screws (which i returned because there were 2 in the pump already) and an ac belt. Order the ac delco one online does not cost much more than autozone brand. Easy job to replace, took a little over 2 gal of dexcool to refill. Worst part is those hose clamps, there must be a special tool to get them off easier. Also could not find a petcock on the radiator so drained from lower radiator hose then more drained when removing the old pump.

the cadillac man
03-08-13, 11:56 AM
I just did mine on my 05 ext 2 weeks ago. Wanted the ac delco so bought it at the stealership. DO not buy from the dealer they soaked me about $400 for the pump (which came with 2 gaskets), therm housing, therm, 2 therm screws (which i returned because there were 2 in the pump already) and an ac belt. Order the ac delco one online does not cost much more than autozone brand. Easy job to replace, took a little over 2 gal of dexcool to refill. Worst part is those hose clamps, there must be a special tool to get them off easier. Also could not find a petcock on the radiator so drained from lower radiator hose then more drained when removing the old pump.

There is no petcock on the radiator its a closed loop system

YoshiMan
03-08-13, 08:51 PM
There is no petcock on the radiator its a closed loop system

...Seriously? How do they expect you to drain the system without making a mess? Guess it's time to bust out the Factory Service manual....

wesyder
03-08-13, 09:16 PM
...Seriously? How do they expect you to drain the system without making a mess? Guess it's time to bust out the Factory Service manual....

With a oil drain pan and a transmission drain pan funnel, remove lower radiator hose and control the flow using the hose.. This provides minimal spillage but your gonna spill something when it flows to the driver side via the channel the radiator sits in... I guess you could slightly raise the driver side to stop that. I drained at the thermostat housing by removing the 2 bolts to drain and brake kleened the compressor clutch when finished

eldo92
10-04-13, 08:26 AM
I took my truck for a pressure test last weekend and confirmed water pump is starting to leak. They wanted over 500 to replace it. I saw the youtube video online and saw how its an easy project.

My question is what brand should I stick with? I looked at autozone, advanced auto parts, pep boys and all were around the same price between 110 and 120 but were all different brands.

I thought maybe let me check the dealer and they want 350 for the water pump. So I dont think I will be going that route.

Anyone have any suggestions which I should go with or possibly there is someone who knows where I can get OEM for around that price.

I plan to replace the thermostat, thermostat housing, and serpentine belt while I am in there doing the water pump.

I bought mine, as well as the serpentine belt and thermostat from Carquest. Changed the pump out a year ago, no issues...

rfishoutofwater
10-07-13, 01:53 AM
I got mine at oreillys and it has a lifetime warranty . Super easy to install. Bought new belt at same the and did it all under and hr. Paid under $200 for water pump, belts and coolant.

Jophusp
10-07-13, 10:00 AM
I got mine through Buyautoparts.com. Bosch I think. Zero problems, came with everything. I think $120.00. Def, change A/C belt, and Thermo while its all open. Very easy job.