: Car Cover Recommendations?

SteveWise
03-07-13, 12:37 PM
Hey all,

What do people who have car covers for their second generation SRX use? What do you recommend (or not)? My dealer told me that my new '13 SRX Premium will probably be delivered by the end of March, so I'm looking around for options.

Things I'm looking for in a cover:

- Dust, wind, and moisture (dew) protection in an open-air garage
- Soft inner lining to prevent unnecessary scratching
- Proper fit
- Ease of application and stowability
- How well the cover deals with the antenna without damaging it

I won't be driving my SRX every day, but will be using it more for weekend trips and occasional longer adventures. I live in an area that is inherently dusty because I'm so close to a major highway, so dust and grime from traffic is unavoidable.

Any suggestions or experiences you have will be appreciated!

Apologies if this question has already been asked and answered.

erdoc48
03-07-13, 01:53 PM
I'll just give my opinion here. If you have it garaged regularly, I wouldn't bother with a cover. A cover is good if it'll be stored for a while, say, several months, and you don't want it dusty when you go to use it again. I guess the only other time to use one is if you have kids frequently going in and out of the garage with bikes and you feel they might scratch the SUV (and you can control traffic flow of kids in the garage). I've had covers in the past and since I use the cars on a regular basis (even if one of them sits for a few weeks at a time), I wouldn't buy one. The ones I've had I resold from lack of use.

SteveWise
03-07-13, 03:33 PM
Thanks for your response, erdoc48. I understand your point if I was in a single family home with 1 or 2 car closed garaged, but the SRX won't be a daily driver. It will often sit for a week or two in a dusty open-air envrionmnent much like a public parking garage.

Because my current vehicle is always covered with dust when I take it out, I'd prefer to cover it than wash it every time I go somewhere. I'm not that finicky, but I've decided to cover the SRX instead of paying $30-35 to wash it. A decent cover will pay for itself in a year.

erdoc48
03-07-13, 06:47 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize it was a parking garage like setting. Most covers have a hole for the antenna. I'd go with a Covercraft brand as they make decent covers.

Go to Covercraft.com and get a custom cover for the SRX with antenna hole and mirror pockets. They make one- I'd get the NOAH fabric they advertise.

wwolfe68
03-07-13, 07:31 PM
I use California car covers on all my collector cars and truck. Expensive yes but great quality and custom fitted for vehicle.

300:29:1
03-08-13, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your response, erdoc48. I understand your point if I was in a single family home with 1 or 2 car closed garaged, but the SRX won't be a daily driver. It will often sit for a week or two in a dusty open-air envrionmnent much like a public parking garage.

Because my current vehicle is always covered with dust when I take it out, I'd prefer to cover it than wash it every time I go somewhere. I'm not that finicky, but I've decided to cover the SRX instead of paying $30-35 to wash it. A decent cover will pay for itself in a year.

That's pretty steep for a car wash.

SteveWise
03-08-13, 02:28 PM
I agree that it sounds expensive, but we're not talking a $7 run through the automatic scrubber wash at the Shell station. It's a complete hand wash and wax, and they also detail the inside (vacuum everywhere, clean windows, seats, dashboard, and door panels), polish the rims, treat the tires, etc. It takes them about an hour to do it, and the car looks brand new when it's done. To me it's well worth the $30 for a car, $35 for an SUV or truck.

Ponyman
03-11-13, 07:11 PM
Covercraft makes almost all of California Car Covers, covers. Every time I have ordered from them, it has been shipped to me out of Covercrafts factory in Pauls Valley Oklahoma

beachcad
03-12-13, 10:02 AM
I agree that it sounds expensive, but we're not talking a $7 run through the automatic scrubber wash at the Shell station. It's a complete hand wash and wax, and they also detail the inside (vacuum everywhere, clean windows, seats, dashboard, and door panels), polish the rims, treat the tires, etc. It takes them about an hour to do it, and the car looks brand new when it's done. To me it's well worth the $30 for a car, $35 for an SUV or truck.

I wish I could find a place near us that offered a hand wash and wax for $30.

Chris Cornett
03-12-13, 07:36 PM
California car covers are the best you will find. I have one for each of my classics and my CTS V. They fit like a glove and can be machine washed.