: 2007 DTS Cornering Lights Question

samorris74
03-07-13, 03:17 AM
Greetings,
So I was recently hit by a drunk driver while driving my 2007 DTS. I went to inspect the vehicle after repairs were made and I noticed that the cornering lights are not functioning the way that they did before. Both were replaced by the way. They used to activate when the steering wheel was turned a certain amount in either direction regardless of the turn signal lever. I know this because I used to think it was fun to weave around in parking lots at dark to see the corner lights kick on and off. Also, I back into my garage at night and again, the cornering lights would kick on whenever I was turning to back in. I have read the instruction manual and it seems to indicate that they only do this when the turn signal lever is activated but I know for a fact that it was not required before. I am not crazy right? Can anyone else confirm?

Tom's Caddy
03-07-13, 09:59 AM
You are right.

Superjim
03-07-13, 10:27 AM
I just went to the garage and tested my 2006...
I started the car... headlights came on because it is in the garage.
Turned the steering wheel both ways, as far as it would go...
Cornering light only work when turn signal is on...

I am really sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings... but it will probably NEVER work like it used to...
I hope your dealer can find some way to restore the functionality that it once had.

I have had TWO 2006 DTS's ...
Both were bought Brand New...
Both are Performance Sedans... but the two identical cars have a few things that do not work the same and they have VERY DIFFERENT Personalities..

The first one would turn on the cooled seats when you used the remote start, if it was hot weather... the 2nd one does not do that.
I have been told by 3 different Cadillac dealers that the 1st one "DID NOT DO THAT" ...that "NONE" of them automatically turn on the cooled seats in the summer....but I drove it all summer in the Texas heat and I "KNOW" it did... LOL

Another thing...
The speed limiter was different on the 2 cars...
The 1st one would kick in at 130 mph.
The 2nd one would kick in at 123 mph.

Again... I was told that "ALL OF THEM" were set at 123 mph, and that "NONE OF THEM" of them were ever set at 130 mph...
But I had the 1st one for almost a year when my garage caught on fire and it perished in the fire.
By the time it burned... I had almost 40,000 miles on it... I "KNOW" what it did and did not do... :) :)

Also the "FEEL" of the 2 cars are very different...
The 1st one had much more AGGRESSIVE feel to it when driving... kinda like it was always saying ... "Come on.. lets GO... :)
The 2nd one is much more laid back... like "That's cool... lets just cruise along... we will get there eventually".... LOL

Good luck in getting the lights working like they worked previously...

Tom's Caddy
03-07-13, 10:58 AM
This might sound crazy but in Canada we have to have day time running lights. When the day time running lights are on only ( dash board light setting to automatic ) they do not come on when cornering but when headlights are on night or just cloud cover they always come on without signalling. I don't know if the set up for USA or Canada would make any difference. Just trying to help.:hmm:

danog
03-07-13, 11:13 AM
Cornering Lamps

Without Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES)

The left and right cornering lamps are located within the headlamp assemblies. The BCM will illuminate the cornering lamp only during turn signal operation. When a left or right turn signal is activated, the BCM applies ground to the appropriate cornering lamp relay control circuit energizing the LF or RF CRN LAMP PCB RELAY. With the relay energized, battery voltage is applied through the switch side of the relay, the CRN LAMP fuse, and the cornering lamp supply voltage circuit illuminating the cornering lamp until the turn signal is turned OFF.

With Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES)On vehicles equipped with VSES the cornering lamps will illuminate when a turn signal lamp is activated or a change in steering wheel direction. When a left or right turn signal is activated, the BCM applies ground to the appropriate cornering lamp relay control circuit energizing the LF or RF CRN LAMP PCB RELAY. With the relay energized, battery voltage is applied through the switch side of the relay, the CRN LAMP fuse, and the cornering lamp control circuit illuminating the cornering lamp until the turn signal is turned OFF. lamps The cornering will also illuminate when the steering wheel is turned a 1/4 turn to the left or right without a turn signal being activated. The BCM receives a serial data message from the electronic brake control module (EBCM) indicating the steering wheel position. The EBCM receives steering wheel positions via the steering angle sensor. When the BCM receives the serial data message from the EBCM that the steering wheel has changed position a 1/4 turn or greater in either direction and the vehicles speed is greater than 12.8 km/h (8 mph), the BCM will respond by applying ground to the appropriate cornering lamp relay control circuit energizing the LF or RF CRN LAMP PCB RELAY. With the relay energized, battery voltage is applied through the switch side of the relay, the CRN LAMP fuse, and the cornering lamp control circuit illuminating the appropriate cornering lamp until the steering wheel returns to the straight or home position.

Tom's Caddy
03-07-13, 11:43 AM
Thanks danog we have our answer.:thumbsup: What else does the YSES system do, that I never realised I had but thanks to you I do.:bouncy:

TopherS
03-10-13, 11:11 PM
Samorris74, I would double check your settings to see if perhaps, the feature was disabled. I don't know if it is a feature that can be turned on/off...I drove a VW Passat that had the feature, but the feature could also be turned off, if desired.

By the way, hope/glad you're OK. Twenty years ago, I was hit by a drunk driver...smashed/totaled my '88 Cougar a month after I bought it :mad:...just sucks!

TulsaVic
03-11-13, 11:27 AM
My 2008's cornering lights come on when the headlights are on and the steering wheel turned beyond a certain point. Don't need to have the turn signals activated. Sounds like the situation here varies depending on the specific year....

Tom's Caddy
03-11-13, 12:24 PM
Read danog post #5 he gave us the answer.:thumbsup:

johnnie1974
03-11-13, 12:31 PM
i have 2009 dts and the limiter is 108.

ogbuehi
03-15-13, 02:47 PM
The only thing I would say about post #5 is that mine turn on even if my car is not moving forward when I turn the steering wheel. I definitely like it, especially since I upgraded them to LEDs.

Superjim
03-16-13, 01:56 AM
Mine DO NOT come on, at any time, unless the turn signals are on...