: Ripped axle boot

fre1102
03-06-13, 04:27 PM
So when I was under the car this afternoon, I noticed grease all over the suspension near the driver's side outer axle boot. Sure enough, it's got a hole in it.

Can I just R&R the boot on these, or do I have to replace the whole assembly?

darkman
03-06-13, 06:42 PM
The boot is replaceable. I show GM part number 88952506, but you should verify that with the supplier.

fre1102
03-06-13, 10:30 PM
The boot is replaceable. I show GM part number 88952506, but you should verify that with the supplier.

I'll call Luke in the morning. Rock Auto also seems to have it.

ANy idea *how* you R&R it? I assume it involves disassembling the joint, since I doubt the boot's small end will slide over the hub.

izcain
03-07-13, 01:06 AM
good a time as any to upgrade lol

Naf
03-07-13, 02:29 AM
Actually i called up luke and got the upgraded half axles for my ride. My boots were dry rotted and one gave out. I sent off an email to DDS but they didnt reply and luke got me a good price on the GM upgraded ones.

Luke seems to always win...

rand49er
03-07-13, 09:24 AM
Those boots have clamps on either end that require a special tool to install. Not sure if a simple hose clamp is a wise substitute or not.

fre1102
03-07-13, 10:21 AM
Those boots have clamps on either end that require a special tool to install. Not sure if a simple hose clamp is a wise substitute or not.

Someone's already R&R-ed the inner boot--they used a hose clamp on the inner boot. I doubt even a half-assed shop would do that.

Looking at the shop manual, there are a lot of special tools called for in the process. I figure I'll definitely need a swager (swage-er?) does anyone know if the others are necessary? There's are 'drive axle seal clamp pliers' and an 'axle seal protector', which looks like everyone would need when thy pull an axle.

Anyone do this before?

barrok69
03-07-13, 10:35 AM
Someone's already R&R-ed the inner boot--they used a hose clamp on the inner boot. I doubt even a half-assed shop would do that.

Looking at the shop manual, there are a lot of special tools called for in the process. I figure I'll definitely need a swager (swage-er?) does anyone know if the others are necessary? There's are 'drive axle seal clamp pliers' and an 'axle seal protector', which looks like everyone would need when thy pull an axle.

Anyone do this before?

You can get the tool for $10 from Harbor Freight or equiv cheap tool store. Or you can just use a small screw driver to lock it in, then use side cutters to "crimp" and pull in any slack that's left. Just don't press too hard with the side cutters. The idea is to bend the metal, not cut it. Key is to get the clamp as tight as possible on the boot before crimping anything. I used this method when I put in my Gforce axles in, worked great and haven't had any issues. The tool I bought didn't work out for me, the metal tips of the tool were so thin they just bent when I went to crimp it. It could be that the clamps that Gforce supplied were a more heavier duty material than a stock boot clamp.

I didn't use any specific tools to pull or put the axle back in. I replaced a seal when I did my axles. It just pops out with a screwdriver. When I put the new one in, just lightly tap it in place then get a flat piece of wood or metal and just tap with a hammer a bit and it should seat no problem. The axle then will just pop back in. Just make sure you aim in into the seal properly so you don't cut up the seal with the splines of the axle. A little patience goes a long way.

fre1102
03-07-13, 02:17 PM
Excellent. I'm hoping the joint itself is okay. Guess we'll find out.