Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Windows suddenly down

18K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Georgejune 
#1 ·
OK, I think our SRX is trying to play tricks on us at this point :)

We remote started the car a couple of hours ago and then extended the run time once. When we went out to it, all the windows were rolled down exactly one-quarter of the way. It was snowing out, but there was barely any snow in the car, indicating they had just rolled down. I first assumed it was user error and tried to duplicate it by holding the unlock button to roll them down, then trying to interrupt them when the windows were 1/4 down. But they rolled all the way down anyway, making me think that something is actually wrong.

I'm waiting for a call back from our dealer, but does someone else have any clue what can cause all the windows to spontaneously be 1/4 of the way down?

#5 ·
OK, thanks for the replies, folks. The SRX is at the dealership now. How ironic that one of you would have a similar issue on the same day as us... :yawn:

I researched in the owners manual to see if I could find anything that could possibly be related to this. The only two things I could find were the "hold unlock" function that I previously mentioned, or the windows' object detection function. But neither of those quite fit either - the hold unlock function will always roll the windows down completely (they were only down 1/4 of the way) and the object detection will reverse the window's function if it detects something when someone attempts to roll one up (no one was even there, and all four windows were down). So I'm baffled for the moment.

It's somewhat relieving to once again hear that our SRX is not unique to this issue, but at the same time, it worries me that something undiagnosed like this would rear its ugly head during a blizzard or thunderstorm. We'll see if the dealer finds something, but I'm not holding my breath.

#9 ·
Something very similar happened to me this evening... Looks like mine is the first 2013 reported here with this issue.

I tried to remote start (using key fob, not the OnStar smartphone app) and when I got to the car it wasn't running. Instead, driver door was unlocked, driver window was 3/4 down, front passenger side window was all the way down and both rear windows were 3/4 down.

This is a very mysterious car!:suspense: Going to monitor this and if it happens again, I will be taking it to the dealer since I also have a couple of minor issues with CUE to get addressed. It is still less than 2 weeks old. Otherwise, love this vehicle!

#13 ·
Hello vi2k13,

I am glad to hear you are loving your 2013 SRX. I am sorry you are experiencing issues with the remote start. I can give you contact information for the GM of Canada Cadillac Customer Assistance. The phone number is 1-888-446-2000. Hours: M-F 7:30 a.m.-11:30 p.m., Sat 7:30 a.m.-6:00 EST. Have a great night!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

#10 ·

Unknown if hitting another button on the remote cancels the windows during operation...
It shouldn't happen while trying to start the vehicle though...

#11 ·

Unknown if hitting another button on the remote cancels the windows during operation...
It shouldn't happen while trying to start the vehicle though...
Thanks, Captain!

Now that you pointed out... It could very well have been me pressing and holding the unlock button instead of start.:hmm:

It's funny that after this incident I searched the PDF manual for "windows" and yet missed this section completely. Oh, well... getting old I guess.:)

#16 ·
2012 SRX with 9000 miles on it. My wife lowered the passenger window today (I was in the driver seat) and each time she tried to restore it to the full up position, it would reach the top and instantly head back down until it was about 3" from full open. Off to the dealer in the next few days I guess... I so want to be impressed with this Cadillac, but as nice as it looks, its beginning to scare me. Took it back to dealer a couple of weeks ago to address the rain sensor wipers going wild, the remote isn't recognized if its in my pocket (no, I'm not a dwarf) and now this.

#19 ·
Hello Ken Davis,

I am sorry you are experiencing a window malfunction with your SRX. I see you are going to bring your vehicle into the dealer to see if this can be resolved. If you would like to further discuss your current situation and keep us involved throughout this process in working with the dealer, please reach out to us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#21 ·
Hi farinacci,

I apologize that you are also experiencing a malfunction with your passenger window. I understand you are outside of your warranty parameters, but if you are willing to bring your vehicle into your local dealer for an official vehicle diagnosis, we are more than happy to assist. Please feel free to send us a private message to further discuss your situation or any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#22 ·
i had this happen to me twice. Once I walked out and the windows were down and once I was in the garage, the door was open and the car was outside. I bent over to pick up something off the floor from the same side the pocket that held the key fob and like magic the windows went down. Some how by bending over I was putting enough pressure on the right button to make the windows go down. It caused the panic button to go off once also and the horn started honking. Time to lose some weight.....................

#24 ·
For those having issues with auto up windows, I would try the forced-close per the owner manual, and then try the programming reset. It may restore the auto up by recalibrating the pinch sensor (just a guess though):

Obstacle Detection Feature
The Obstacle Detection Feature is part of the express-up feature and is
active:
*In the middle and upper portions of the window opening.
*During window up movements.
*In ignition OFF during all window up movements and during express-up window
movements in ignition ON/RUN/START.

If there is something blocking the window during automatic closing,
the window will reverse direction for a short distance. Weather conditions
such as extreme cold and/or ice may cause the window to
auto-reverse. The window will return to normal operation once the object
or condition is removed. If conditions prevent the window
from closing and the window continues to auto-reverse, it is
possible to close the window with the ignition in ON/RUN/START by
holding the window switch in the partially or fully pulled up position.
Release of the switch from the partially pulled up position will cause
the window to stop.
Release of the switch from the fully pulled up position will activate the express-up
and related obstacle detection features.

Programming the Power Windows
Programming the power windows may be necessary if the vehicle's
battery has been disconnected or discharged.
If the window will not express up after power has been restored and a
message is displayed in the Driver Information Center:
1. Close all doors.
2. Place the ignition in ACC/
ACCESSORY or ON/RUN/
START.
3. From any partial open position,
close the window and continue
to pull the switch briefly after the
window has fully closed.

Max

#25 ·
Woke up this rainy morning to find all the windows all the way down on our 2012 SRX. I only pushed the lock button on the remote the night befor (I usually lock with the button on the door). I see others having related problems, but with the unlock button. Has anyone had resolution to these windows down problems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.