: New Pfadt Race Engineering Cadillac ATS INTERCOOLER

Pfadt Engineering
03-06-13, 01:21 PM
http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/data/583/medium/ATS_IC_Render_1.png (http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2480)

Pfadt Race Engineering is finishing up the development on our ATS Intercooler. Just wanted to share some insider pics. We know POWER is the main goal and we open up that potential with the Pfadt Intercooler.

Retains factory quick connect intercooler fittings for simple installation and maintenance.
Front mount in lower grill for maximum cooling efficiency
Short intake path for unmatched boost response
CFD tuned air distribution vanes for increased charge cooling and low restriction and more HP
Lightweight, compact high efficiency aluminum core capable of flowing 1000 CFM which is enough air to support 650 HP

Wanted to also point out the key development we did even before the first fabricated piece: Internal Flow Distribution Vanes. Below are a couple of CFD plots of flow in our Pfadt Intercooler with and without these directional vanes that help distribute the flow across the entire intercooler core. A lot of intercoolers on the market will simply plug a pipe into a core and call it good. Problem is you wind up utilizing a small portion of the available frontal area for cooling. The more efficient you can get your intercooler to operate at, the more flow you will be able to cool, and ultimately the more power potential you will have. Check the pics. You can see that without these vanes about HALF of the core will see stagnant flow, and result in heavily reduced cooling and power output.

With Flow Distribution Vanes:
http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/data/583/medium/Intercooler_Flow_with_Vanes.jpg (http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2481)

Without Flow Distribution Vanes:
http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/data/583/medium/No_Vane_Flow.jpg (http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2482)

bungee91
03-06-13, 02:55 PM
This looks very nice!
Have you done any A to B tests vs the stock inter cooler in regards to flow, heat soak/temps, gains with/without a tune, etc...?
I'm very interested and I also sent you a pre-order e-mail.

Pfadt Engineering
03-07-13, 07:47 PM
We are in the testing phase as we speak and will start to release that info as it becomes available. We are really excited to start building real power with these engines!

mikesul
03-09-13, 09:52 AM
You said this fits down low in the front, does that mean you can remove the factory intercooler that resides between the radiator and the A/C radiator? Any weight savings there? Your pics look like quality engineering, looking forward to the numbers!

turbo2.0
03-23-13, 10:51 PM
Not sure if any of y'all have had the fortune of dealing with this company, but after dealing with Mr. Pfadt this weekend at the Texas Mile I will be directing everyone I can their way! Having a 2.0T manual myself, I have been an annoying leach to them and their car as much as possible, and they have been extremely patient. They have some great product and I can't tell you enough how much I look forward to doing business with them in the future.

Stevo Supremo
03-23-13, 11:25 PM
...... ... ... MAKE AN INTAKE!!!!! :crybaby: lol seriously though, I want an intake more than anything.. well that and a DP with electric cutout!

turbo2.0
03-23-13, 11:49 PM
...... ... ... MAKE AN INTAKE!!!!! :crybaby: lol seriously though, I want an intake more than anything.. well that and a DP with electric cutout!

They had one on the car that kept the factory intake box... I'm so desperate for an intake at this point...

Siren05
03-24-13, 12:42 AM
Downpipe is far more important to free up some extra hp and tq with a tune, moving cats away from turbo I'm sure stock airbox and a high flow filter will handle 300+ whp.but if you want to hear a wee bit more
Swoosh an intake will deliver and once tuned deliver some HP up top.

Stevo Supremo
03-24-13, 10:05 PM
oh I know a DP will make more power over an intake. I just LOVE the way an intake makes the engine sound!

Pfadt Engineering
03-26-13, 04:05 PM
hey Mike, yep that is correct, you will be able to remove the factory intercooler. We have not seen exactly what the weight savings will be over factory. Stay tuned for that! Thank you for your awesome comments.

----------

Thanks so much for the comments. We had a FANTASTIC time down at the Texas Mile and we had no idea how much love our ATS program was going to get. We have the ATS effort as top priority right now so please stick with us!

----------

On it! Debuted the intake tube this past weekend at the Texas Mile in prototype form. Moving forward with production.

Stevo Supremo
03-26-13, 04:29 PM
[/COLOR]On it! Debuted the intake tube this past weekend at the Texas Mile in prototype form. Moving forward with production.

f*** yeah!!!

turbo2.0
03-28-13, 09:00 AM
I believe their best run was 162.5 mph, which is pretty amazing considering we had a stock 2012 V out there that did a best of 169.0

Bertha D Blues
03-28-13, 02:22 PM
For top speeds at Texas Mile between 150 and 175 mph, aren't they required to have a six-point roll cage? If so, that would negate potential intercooler weight savings. Does anyone know if our cars have speed limiters? My tires, I think, are rated to 149 mph. Not that I plan to exceed that (and my wife has made her opinion clear on the subject). Bert

turbo2.0
03-28-13, 02:41 PM
For top speeds at Texas Mile between 150 and 175 mph, aren't they required to have a six-point roll cage? If so, that would negate potential intercooler weight savings. Does anyone know if our cars have speed limiters? My tires, I think, are rated to 149 mph. Not that I plan to exceed that (and my wife has made her opinion clear on the subject). Bert

no roll cage until 200 MPH

wilmo
03-28-13, 11:23 PM
I'm really excited to see the numbers a full bolt on ats with a tune puts down! And thanks to Pfadt that should happen sooner rather than later.. Tune, downpipe, intercooler, intake... Should be fun! think it'll be able to run with that new CLA45 amg? It will certainly handle better with a little suspension work..

Pfadt Engineering
04-10-13, 04:14 PM
Sorry for the delay in our response guys. We are working on a video to go along with the milestone reached at the Texas Mile. Officially the fastest ATS in the world right now! 162.5 MPH is correct. And we have more left in it while still retaining the OEM fueling system.

wilmo
04-10-13, 05:48 PM
Hey can you give us an idea what things you have done to the car? Is it just the downpipe or did yall tune it/exhaust/intake etc?

TMAC2000
04-10-13, 11:11 PM
Nice info, looking forward to hearing more :thumbsup:

bungee91
04-11-13, 09:21 AM

An article I read in regards to this.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130410/CARNEWS/130419994

Hoosier Daddy
04-11-13, 09:52 AM
FYI: Since the Texas Mile is an acceleration run, if you are using stock wheels for marketing or other reasons, unless you had already topped out, you should go faster with the machined 18" which are considerably lighter than the polished (4.5+ lbs lighter each).

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/106598d1365682911-new-pfadt-race-engineering-cadillac-ats-pfadt-race-engineering-cadillac-ats-turbo.jpg

Pfadt Engineering
04-29-13, 04:25 PM
f*** yeah!!!
:thumbsup:

ATSFL
06-27-13, 10:39 AM
Can you weld in a bung for methanol on the cold side?

M5eater
06-28-13, 12:09 PM
FYI: Since the Texas Mile is an acceleration run, if you are using stock wheels for marketing or other reasons, unless you had already topped out, you should go faster with the machined 18" which are considerably lighter than the polished (4.5+ lbs lighter each).

you mean the wavy style wheels? I have those on mine. Whoohoo!

General Lee 01
07-08-13, 03:32 PM
Pfadt Engineering, what is the expected date that this intercooler will be available to purchase? Any updates?

Nite_Hawk
07-09-13, 01:21 AM
It's on their site, along with under parts...but, no prices.

General Lee 01
07-09-13, 01:32 AM
It's on their site, along with under parts...but, no prices.

Yes you are right. Has been like that for a while now. This is why I am am asking them for updates here on the forum. I read something elsewhere that they had to stock up their distributors 1st before selling to regular joe schmos. I am curious how close the schmo family is to curing our heat soak issues.

Nite_Hawk
07-09-13, 07:20 AM
I got a price on the carbon intake $399.00. I'd love to have the I/C, intake, and the BNR Turbo back exhaust. Along with a tune, i'm sure we can see around 280+ at the wheels.

M5eater
07-09-13, 10:00 AM
I got a price on the carbon intake $399.00. I'd love to have the I/C, intake, and the BNR Turbo back exhaust. Along with a tune, i'm sure we can see around 280+ at the wheels.

I'm lazy, are there any youtubes of a BNR LTG yet?

Nite_Hawk
07-09-13, 10:42 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/308858-bnr-ats-2-0t-exhaust-coming.html

General Lee 01
07-09-13, 10:52 AM

I got pricing from them on downpipes. High flow cat is $499, catless is $399. No availability date yet though, just pricing.

ATSFL
07-09-13, 11:31 AM
what would the benefits of the replacement carbon pipe be? other than a louder bypass/blowoff noise?

General Lee 01
07-09-13, 02:30 PM
ATSFL, Are you asking about benefits of the carbon intake that Nite Hawk mentioned, or benefits of the aftermarket downpipe?

ATSFL
07-09-13, 02:31 PM
I'm talking about the carbon intake replacement pipe Pfadt offers.