: Previous STS owner just bought new XTS Platinum and have a quick question

sredmyer
03-06-13, 08:14 AM
Hello all,

I have been a member here for some time but haven't posted in years. As mentioned in the subject, I previously owned a 2005 STS. One of the features my wife enjoyed most about that car was the passive lock\unlock of the doors base on key fob proximity. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the passive unlock to work on this new XTS. In fact I can't be for sure it even has it. It seems that to unlock the door(s) always requires pushing the button on the handle. I know this isn't a hige deal but my wife really liked the ability to just walk up to her locked car and open the door just as she would if it were unlock (no extra button pushes required). It seems unlikely to me that this much newer and MUCH higher tech car would actually be missing a feature available in previous year model Cadillacs.

Does anyone know if it does in fact have passive unlock and if so how to enable it.

Thanks,
Steve

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-06-13, 11:11 AM
Steve, I would be happy to investigate further for you, if you wish. Please feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and I can look into this further on your behalf. (Including the last eight of your VIN in the message would be very helpful as I research.)

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

ral1960
03-06-13, 01:04 PM
My 2011 STS unlocks when you pull on the door latch, not before, so there's a fractional second delay. Button-pushing does seem like a step backwards and requires you to use the appropriate hand.

Engelman
03-06-13, 05:19 PM
When you walk up to the XTS and pull on the door handle, it opens. It is a perimeter thing. The doors will lock automatically in about 10 seconds if you are outside the car. If you are standing anywhere around the car, and the doors are locked, when you reach for the handle , and pull on it, the doors will open......Of course, at night , I recommend pressing the button on the key fob to unlock, and get the nice light show, this does not occur when you walk up to the car, and pull the handle, with the fob in your pocket.......

Hello all,

I have been a member here for some time but haven't posted in years. As mentioned in the subject, I previously owned a 2005 STS. One of the features my wife enjoyed most about that car was the passive lock\unlock of the doors base on key fob proximity. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the passive unlock to work on this new XTS. In fact I can't be for sure it even has it. It seems that to unlock the door(s) always requires pushing the button on the handle. I know this isn't a hige deal but my wife really liked the ability to just walk up to her locked car and open the door just as she would if it were unlock (no extra button pushes required). It seems unlikely to me that this much newer and MUCH higher tech car would actually be missing a feature available in previous year model Cadillacs.

Does anyone know if it does in fact have passive unlock and if so how to enable it.

Thanks,
Steve

sredmyer
03-06-13, 06:36 PM
When you walk up to the XTS and pull on the door handle, it opens. It is a perimeter thing. The doors will lock automatically in about 10 seconds if you are outside the car. If you are standing anywhere around the car, and the doors are locked, when you reach for the handle , and pull on it, the doors will open......Of course, at night , I recommend pressing the button on the key fob to unlock, and get the nice light show, this does not occur when you walk up to the car, and pull the handle, with the fob in your pocket.......

That is exactly the behavior I am trying to get...just like my '05 STS worked. However, my XTS does not do that. Pulling on the handle when the door is locked does absolutely nothing. The only way to get it to unlock it to press the button oh the handle. I have read the manual and didn't see anything saying that it works as you describe. I have tried various settings in the CUE system but so far have not been able to achieve that functionality. Do you know what settings you have that provides this functionality?

Thanks,
Steve

kipsts
03-06-13, 07:03 PM
That is exactly the behavior I am trying to get...just like my '05 STS worked. However, my XTS does not do that. Pulling on the handle when the door is locked does absolutely nothing. The only way to get it to unlock it to press the button oh the handle. I have read the manual and didn't see anything saying that it works as you describe. I have tried various settings in the CUE system but so far have not been able to achieve that functionality. Do you know what settings you have that provides this functionality?

Thanks,
Steve Hi Steve, likewise as a previous multiple STS owner I always appreciated the walk up and unlock feature. My new Volvo functions that same way, however, like you I can not find anyway to override the push-the-button-to -unlock SilverFox, my Platinum XTS. Very interested in seeing if there is a solution we have missed. Enjoy your new ride!:cool2:

sredmyer
03-06-13, 08:08 PM
Hi Steve, likewise as a previous multiple STS owner I always appreciated the walk up and unlock feature. My new Volvo functions that same way, however, like you I can not find anyway to override the push-the-button-to -unlock SilverFox, my Platinum XTS. Very interested in seeing if there is a solution we have missed. Enjoy your new ride!:cool2:

Thanks. Hopefully someone knows the answer. With all the configuration that is possible on these cars there is surely a way to do it.

Steve

Ismail
03-07-13, 01:11 PM
My dealer told me it was a safety feature,and that it could not be overwritten. That being said, I think someone had and issue with car jacking. With the older model cars if you had the key fob in a close proximity to your car anyone could get into your car!!

reciprocity
03-07-13, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to make it work the way the STS (and second-generation CTS) do. You're stuck pushing the button. My guess is that it's because the door latches themselves aren't electric like the STS/CTS. It may also have something to do with the new "pull twice on the inside door handle to unlock" feature (ala BMW), which is really convenient.

I definitely like the ability to hit the button twice on the XTS to unlock the passenger doors for others (instead of opening the door on the CTS and trying to "race" passengers to hit the unlock button inside the door before they yank on their door handle). I agree, though, that it's disappointing the outside handles on the XTS don't work the same as the STS/CTS did -- just with the addition of the button. It would be nice if Cadillac at least added this functionality on the XTS Platinum.

EChas3
03-09-13, 11:15 PM
In the STS, one has to set the locking/unlocking features accordingly. I certainly hope Cadillac's lawyers didn't disable another great feature.

pkadanec
03-11-13, 04:54 PM
The answer is correct, on the XTS you must push the button (once for drivers door, twice for passenger door and again to lock). I also had this feature on both of my SRX's (pull handle for unlock). I actually like the fact that I do not have to open the door, reach in and push the unlock button. You could set it to unlock all doors with the handle pull, but I felt this was a security issue for my wife if she was alone (apparently so did GM).

handymantoo
03-15-13, 08:59 PM
Check Vehicle Personalization page 5-44

Hello all,

Thanks,
Steve

kipsts
03-15-13, 10:58 PM
Check Vehicle Personalization page 5-44 It still requires you to press the button to unlock the door. Viz: "This allows the selection of what doors will unlock when using the button on the driver door to unlock the vehicle."

handymantoo
03-16-13, 07:51 PM
Why is pushing the button such an issue?

It still requires you to press the button to unlock the door. Viz: "This allows the selection of what doors will unlock when using the button on the driver door to unlock the vehicle."

kipsts
03-16-13, 07:57 PM
Why is pushing the button such an issue? It is not such an issue, however that was the query of this thread and I thought your reference to the manual was implying that you had an option to not have to press the button. Prior STS owners were used to the proximity of the key fob to open the door while the XTS requires both the proximity and the press of the button. It is not a big thing, however, without doing it you will not gain entry.:cool2:

carter's_sts
03-17-13, 10:14 AM
Just curious, why does Engleman say that he has the feature (just pull the handle). Could it be related to trim level?

sredmyer
03-17-13, 11:10 AM
Just curious, why does Engleman say that he has the feature (just pull the handle). Could it be related to trim level?

From what I have been able to find out, this feature is not available on any trim level. It may have worked that way in early build cars but it doesn't in any trim level on current builds.

That said it seems certain that this could easily be added because it would only require a software change. This means the change could be be made with a simple update to CUE. Of course that doesn't mean they (Cadillac) will ever do it, just that it is much more likely than something that would require actual hardware changes like power folding mirrors.

Steve

kipsts
03-17-13, 05:47 PM
From what I have been able to find out, this feature is not available on any trim level. It may have worked that way in early build cars but it doesn't in any trim level on current builds.

That said it seems certain that this could easily be added because it would only require a software change. This means the change could be be made with a simple update to CUE. Of course that doesn't mean they (Cadillac) will ever do it, just that it is much more likely than something that would require actual hardware changes like power folding mirrors.

Steve My XTS is one of the first Platinum (custom ordered) delivered and it did not/does not have the ability to open the doors merely by the proximity of the fob. I don't believe it was ever an option on the XTS. :cool2:

----------

Just curious, why does Engleman say that he has the feature (just pull the handle). Could it be related to trim level? Perhaps he doesn't lock (or auto lock) his car when he leaves it? :cool2:

gohawks63
03-18-13, 01:46 PM
The answer is correct, on the XTS you must push the button (once for drivers door, twice for passenger door and again to lock). I also had this feature on both of my SRX's (pull handle for unlock). I actually like the fact that I do not have to open the door, reach in and push the unlock button. You could set it to unlock all doors with the handle pull, but I felt this was a security issue for my wife if she was alone (apparently so did GM).

That's how my CTS coupe works. I walk up to the car and simply open the door. I have all the audible notifications turned off so I don't know if it unlocks as I get near or if it occurs once I touch the pad (the coupe doesn't have handles). If I were to guess it would be the latter. I have it set where it unlocks both front doors, but it can be set to unlock only the driver side.

When I leave, I simply close the door and walk away and the doors lock by themselves. I never have to touch the fob for either function.

I know that the coupe is a bit different since it has the Corvette style doors that are completely electronic. The locks are logic based as opposed to a mechanism. When locking/unlocking using the interior lock button you don't hear the mechanism physically locking/unlocking. All you hear is an electronic beep.

Not sure how different it is in the XTS.

I would be surprised if the XTS doesn't have the touch sensitive door handles that would unlock as soon as you grabbed them (provided the fob is on you). My previous car (2006 Acura RL had that.

kipsts
03-18-13, 03:53 PM
That's how my CTS coupe works. I walk up to the car and simply open the door. I have all the audible notifications turned off so I don't know if it unlocks as I get near or if it occurs once I touch the pad (the coupe doesn't have handles). If I were to guess it would be the latter. I have it set where it unlocks both front doors, but it can be set to unlock only the driver side.

When I leave, I simply close the door and walk away and the doors lock by themselves. I never have to touch the fob for either function.

I know that the coupe is a bit different since it has the Corvette style doors that are completely electronic. The locks are logic based as opposed to a mechanism. When locking/unlocking using the interior lock button you don't hear the mechanism physically locking/unlocking. All you hear is an electronic beep.

Not sure how different it is in the XTS.

I would be surprised if the XTS doesn't have the touch sensitive door handles that would unlock as soon as you grabbed them (provided the fob is on you). My previous car (2006 Acura RL had that. The XTS does not have touch sensitive door handles unless you consider pressing a button the handle 'touch sensitive'.

RippyPartsDept
03-18-13, 05:13 PM
the xts door handles work very similarly to the cts coupe door handles except they actually have a door handle

the cts coupe has a switch pad (like the corvettes)
the xts has the button/switch

it's pretty simple and basically the same as the STS and CTS passive locking system except it gives you extra control by using the button to be able to hit it twice to unlock the other door

still no need to touch the remote transmitter (which is the main point of the whole system)

ra0007
03-18-13, 05:28 PM
I think there was a previous post on this. At the time somebody said that their dealer said that the "button" system could not be changed. Hard to believe, huh? If anybody finds out differently, let us know.

kipsts
03-18-13, 08:18 PM
the xts door handles work very similarly to the cts coupe door handles except they actually have a door handle

the cts coupe has a switch pad (like the corvettes)
the xts has the button/switch

it's pretty simple and basically the same as the STS and CTS passive locking system except it gives you extra control by using the button to be able to hit it twice to unlock the other door

still no need to touch the remote transmitter (which is the main point of the whole system) {While it certainly seems like this is getting way too much thread time} The XTS is not the same as the STS since with the STS all you need to do to open the door is have the key fob in proximity and then pull on the handle, whereas for the XTS you both need to have the key fob in proximity AND press the button to open the door, then pull on the handle. Pulling on the handle without pressing the button will not open the door as it does with the STS. :cool2:

RicktheRealtor
03-18-13, 10:46 PM
{While it certainly seems like this is getting way too much thread time} The XTS is not the same as the STS since with the STS all you need to do to open the door is have the key fob in proximity and then pull on the handle, whereas for the XTS you both need to have the key fob in proximity AND press the button to open the door, then pull on the handle. Pulling on the handle without pressing the button will not open the door as it does with the STS. :cool2:

Having the button allows for control of both the front door (one push) and the remaining other doors (two pushes). I don't think the proximity fob on the STS opened all the doors, and if it did, it may not have been desireable to have all four unlock at once. For me, I think the button system is preferable.

JSenecal
03-19-13, 02:58 AM
My problem with the button is that you have to know if the car is already unlocked or not. Otherwise you could be locking an already unlocked car. Not a problem when you get in the car and drive away, but if you're doing a lot of in and out to load or unload the car, combinded with automatic locking, this could be problematic.

It's very annoying when my current car (Olds 98) locks just as your pulling the handle (add on alarm).

I noticed in the owners manual that it is possible to disable auto locking in this situation. Auto locking is re-enabled when you start the car.

RippyPartsDept
03-19-13, 11:38 AM
yeah kipsts, i meant more like the CTS coupe system where you still have to push a button to open the door

and as Rick pointed out the button allows for more control

and the main point of the passive system is to not have to touch the remote to unlock the doors

i guess the designers thought something like "well if you have to reach out to the door to pull the handle what's the big deal with pushing the button there first? plus you can get another function out of it with a second push of the button to open all doors"

i also agree this is probably taken up too much thread time but i guess it's better than arguing about religion or politics :)

carter's_sts
03-19-13, 06:00 PM
I think there should be a law about how car doors open..........just kidding.

ral1960
03-19-13, 10:53 PM
Having the button allows for control of both the front door (one push) and the remaining other doors (two pushes). I don't think the proximity fob on the STS opened all the doors, and if it did, it may not have been desireable to have all four unlock at once.
Correct, you have to open either front door first to open a rear door. One thing I miss from my DeVille is the pop-up trunklid.

My cousin's late husband lost his right thumb as a boy--guess he would have been SOL with an XTS.
Actually, he became a surgeon; he had special instruments made for 4 finger use.

The Fob thing is almost a little too convenient--I'm forgetting about keys sometimes, since I have a battery-powered, push-button house door lock (which is very nice to have). At work, we leave the key in the company pickup during the day, and today I almost walked away with the key in the ignition in the middle of town.