: No compression #5 cylinder, leaking oil from the rear main seal

Adic2Speed
03-06-13, 01:48 AM
So I need to have my motor rebuilt. Any recommendations on where to take it. I'm in maryland. Also looking for advise on must do's since the bottom is going to be out anyway.

----------

Sorry for the double post. This is the first time I tried to use the app from an ipad app. It said error when I tried to post the first time and I didn't know it posted. I don't how to delete one.

Betiwin
03-06-13, 08:22 AM
What happened and what mods did you have? Power level?

Adic2Speed
03-06-13, 09:05 AM
520-530 at the wheel.
2.55 upper
P n p intake snout
Air box mod
Injectors
Plugs
Headers exhaust

----------

I was getting into it coming up the highway, lost power, check engine light flashing, service traction management light came on, started smoking white smoke.

Something similar happened a few months ago minus the smoke. Took it easy for a while, still drove smooth. Have gotten into it a few times since then with norpblems. Plugs looked good other then oil on the number 5.

Betiwin
03-06-13, 09:25 AM
How many miles? Who did your tuning. Looks like time to put in bullet proof rods and slugs.

Adic2Speed
03-06-13, 10:07 AM
Faster Proms did the tune. I have about 65 k miles on it. the work was done around 45000

wait4me
03-06-13, 10:10 AM
Can you email me your city you live in Adic? jessebubb@ yahoo.c om

I am keeping track of stuff like this.

matt116
03-06-13, 10:33 AM
Did you have cats in the car? You do not list any exhaust mods?

Adic2Speed
03-06-13, 10:36 AM
full stainless works headers cats and exhaust

matt116
03-06-13, 11:15 AM
Jessie
Of the blown cars how many had cats?

wait4me
03-06-13, 02:03 PM
Hardly any. Cats are not the reason for the blown engines for any of them that I have seen. Most are just WAY to much timing in peoples tunes. When it gets colder outside, the car will add in a lot more timing which most people haven't been adjusting for. Summer is not a problem. When iats are colder, the car has permission to add inALOT more timing.

Adic2Speed
03-06-13, 02:28 PM
My car was tuned in Gettysburg in november with snow on the ground. tot that I'm making excuses, just saying.

wait4me
03-06-13, 02:51 PM
My guess on your engine is you have a cracked chunk on the piston going down to the second ring. When you check the sides on the first ring it will show some collapsing. Usually some other signs of detonation as well. There is a reason why I normally leave a 2deg safety window on the tunes I send out....

matt116
03-06-13, 06:07 PM
So how much time is safe?

----------

Timing

Guard dog
03-09-13, 10:59 PM
So how much time is safe?

----------

Timing
How long is a piece of string?

This question is not answerable without specifics.

Adic2Speed
03-09-13, 11:11 PM
The question for me becomes what combination of internals do I go with.

----------

I'm open to all suggestions.

Guard dog
03-09-13, 11:54 PM
The question for me becomes what combination of internals do I go with.

----------

I'm open to all suggestions.

What are your goals? Is there a horsepower target? What kind of driving? Road course vs drag strip racing has different requirements. Would you be racing from a roll or a dig? Manual or automatic?
A larger bore will allow heads that flow better but too much stroke will get you a ton of torque you don't need if you live on street tires alone.

Adic2Speed
03-10-13, 11:30 AM
Its a daily driver and will remain that way. I drag race maybe 5 - 6 times a year, not completely, just as something fun for me and the family. I dont plan on buying a set dr's although I would like the increased performance at the track. Anyhow if like a reliable dailey driver that will be in the 10's and could handle another 30-40 k miles in the next three or four years. my main goal is safe and reliable. id really like the car to be able to go over 200 but it gears out just anove 190. im not messing that. thats just me being stupid

topend22
03-10-13, 12:22 PM
My guess on your engine is you have a cracked chunk on the piston going down to the second ring. When you check the sides on the first ring it will show some collapsing. Usually some other signs of detonation as well. There is a reason why I normally leave a 2deg safety window on the tunes I send out....

Jessie, how many Blown Engines do you have counted and for how long of a period? This is the first one I am hearing off sine I have been on the forums the last 2 years.

Guard dog
03-10-13, 07:19 PM
Its a daily driver and will remain that way. I drag race maybe 5 - 6 times a year, not completely, just as something fun for me and the family. I dont plan on buying a set dr's although I would like the increased performance at the track. Anyhow if like a reliable dailey driver that will be in the 10's and could handle another 30-40 k miles in the next three or four years. my main goal is safe and reliable. id really like the car to be able to go over 200 but it gears out just anove 190. im not messing that. thats just me being stupid

Solid objective. That can be done with a stock block and crank with forged rods and pistons. No need to spend big bucks on large bore stuff with aftermarket cylinder heads. Small cam, ported heads, exhaust (headers and mid pipe), intake with ported TB and some pullies (I'd go 2.5/8.6 for reliability), add a HX and some injectors and you can be over 600 rwhp with timeslips in the high 10s and still take your wife out to a nice dinner. Just don't valet park.:thumbsup: You could even port the snout and blower for a little more power.

Adic2Speed
03-11-13, 02:32 AM
right now I have ported t throttle body and snout. 2.55 upper pulley, stainless works headers / exhaust, injectors, and custom tune. its been that way for about a year and half now. It was making about 530 rwhp.

I justdont want to drop another 7-8 thousand and blow the motor in another year.