: "R" Compound Tire Sale for the month of March

Dr. Design
03-05-13, 01:24 PM
"R" Compound Tire Sale for the month of March.

http://d3groupinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/D3-Wheel-Dept_Tire-Special-march-2013.jpg

Please contact our offices for sales details and accurate price quotes for your tire selection. info@d3groupinc.com or call 562-595-8518.

http://d3groupinc.com/wheels/

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

repenttokyo
03-07-13, 03:16 PM
Anything for the stock size in V1? Or is it all V2?

D3 Outlet
03-07-13, 04:36 PM
Anything for the stock size in V1? Or is it all V2?

What are you using the vehicle for Drag or Road Course? Please advise.

CTSV_Rob
03-07-13, 06:27 PM
So what do you recommend for a V1 on a road course?

Mn800r
03-07-13, 09:36 PM
+1 ^^

OneFast V
03-07-13, 10:07 PM

275/35 on all four corners

CTSV_Rob
03-07-13, 11:06 PM
I was really looking for a brand recommendation but thank you for the size recommendation. I have run the R888s in the past I was just wondering which tire you recommended and why.

I like your size recommendation but not sure it will fit in the front without some modifications. A friend of mine installed 265s all the way around but he had to flair the fronts a little to make it fit. Another friend fit the 275s but he had modified control arms on his V. plus the 35 Ratio seems to be a bit short.

I am running stock all the way around, no body or control arm modifications currently. Because of this I am looking at 255/40's on all four corners.

using the formula ((((Width x (Ratio/100)) x 2)/ 25.4) + Rim = Tire Diameter
Tire diameter for 245/45 (stock) = ~26.7"
Tire diameter for 275/35 (recommended) = ~25.6

Not sure I want to drop down an inch from the Stock tire size or to go to a 19" wheel for my track tires.

Andringa
03-08-13, 09:44 AM
I was really looking for a brand recommendation but thank you for the size recommendation. I have run the R888s in the past I was just wondering which tire you recommended and why.

I like your size recommendation but not sure it will fit in the front without some modifications. A friend of mine installed 265s all the way around but he had to flair the fronts a little to make it fit. Another friend fit the 275s but he had modified control arms on his V. plus the 35 Ratio seems to be a bit short.

I am running stock all the way around, no body or control arm modifications currently. Because of this I am looking at 255/40's on all four corners.

Not sure I want to drop down an inch from the Stock tire size or to go to a 19" wheel for my track tires.

Doing that calculation based on the "model size i.e. 245/45 vs 275/35" only gets you a rough idea. Manufacturers tend to vary quite a bit in what they consider a 245/45 and even down to the specific model of tire you are buying. I've heard that some R-compounds actually run a bit narrow, so some 275/35 R-compounds may fit, and some may not.

OneFast V
03-08-13, 10:07 AM

I'm running 275/35/18 on all 4 corners no rubbing period. For brand I would recommend Hankook rs3 or bfgoodrich rivals.

D3 Outlet
03-08-13, 02:22 PM

There are not a lot of options available, 245/40R18 is the best size to go with without doing any fender modifications or installing spacers so they do not rub on the control arm. It's a little shorter side wall but it will work. They make the Hankooks R-S3, BFG Rival and Toyo R888 for road course racing. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need pricing and availability on these tires ro.rosario@d3groupinc.com, thank you!

repenttokyo
03-09-13, 05:28 PM

road course.

Mn800r
03-09-13, 07:49 PM
I'm thinking of one maybe two open track events a year, would you lay down just over 1K in rubber?

repenttokyo
03-10-13, 09:59 PM
There are not a lot of options available, 245/40R18 is the best size to go with without doing any fender modifications or installing spacers so they do not rub on the control arm. It's a little shorter side wall but it will work. They make the Hankooks R-S3, BFG Rival and Toyo R888 for road course racing. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need pricing and availability on these tires ro.rosario@d3groupinc.com, thank you!

I sent you an email, but I can only find R-S3 in 245/40-18.

AAIIIC
03-11-13, 08:43 AM
As with any other tire choice, there are options, and you didn't really give anything to go on when you asked your question. What are you willing to spend? How much track time do you do? Are you more interested in better lap times or tire longevity?

If you're a "typical" open track enthusiast who wants a good track tire so you don't kill your street tires, then I think the Nitto NT01s are about the best "bang for the buck". They're not the fastest tires, certainly, but they wear very well and in a given size they're typically one of the least expensive R-compounds. The other alternative is the Continental Grand-Am take-offs, which you can get dirt cheap in 275/35-18 from various websites.

If you're looking for lap times, then Hoosiers or maybe Hankook Z214s would be my suggestions.

I like your size recommendation but not sure it will fit in the front without some modifications. A friend of mine installed 265s all the way around but he had to flair the fronts a little to make it fit.
I run 275/35-18s all around, as do a number of others. (I think just about all of us that run on track with the 18x9" Team Dynamics wheels run 275/35s.) I rolled my front fender lips, but that was mostly as a precaution - I don't know if it was really necessary.

Another friend fit the 275s but he had modified control arms on his V.
Oh? Tell us more! :)

If you're looking for R-compounds (which is what this thread is about), then good luck finding options in that size. I think you have a single option - Hoosiers, which are expensive and don't last all that long.

There are basically no options in 245/45-18 or 275/40-18, which is why we all go down an aspect ratio to either 245/40-18 (what I used to run) or 275/35-18 (what I run now). Concur that 19"s are not the way to go - the sizing options are similarly limited, and they're even more expensive than the 18"s.

I'm thinking of one maybe two open track events a year, would you lay down just over 1K in rubber?
I would tend to think a very good max or extreme performance summer tire would be the way to go in that case.

Very few drag racers in the V1 crowd, particularly on sticky tires (rear end go BOOM!).

For the open trackers, what do you guys have available in 245/40-18 or 275/35-18? That will basically cover all of the V1 guys - either those on stock size wheels (245/40s) or those on wider wheels (275/35s).

thebigjimsho
03-11-13, 02:00 PM
Yeah, why ever run 19s on the track? You're limiting yourself severely on choice, which dictates much higher prices.

Plus, you gain no performance advantage. I run 18s on my V2...

D3 Outlet
03-11-13, 03:22 PM
BFG Rival, Hankook RS3 and the Toyo R888 are available in 245/40R18 and 275/35R18 staggered tire set up for 1st gen CTSV owners.

JDB
03-12-13, 07:59 AM
BFG Rival, Hankook RS3 and the Toyo R888 are available in 245/40R18 and 275/35R18 staggered tire set up for 1st gen CTSV owners.

And the prices are? ??

D3 Outlet
03-15-13, 03:14 PM
And the prices are? ??

BFG Rival
Front $235.00
Rear $285.00

Hankook R-S3
Front $210
Rear $285

Toyo R888
Front $255.00
Rear $268.00

JDB
03-17-13, 02:15 PM
Thanks! Thinking RS3 will be my next tire.

CTSV_Rob
03-29-13, 02:19 PM
Thank you for the detailed reply.

As with any other tire choice, there are options, and you didn't really give anything to go on when you asked your question. What are you willing to spend? How much track time do you do? Are you more interested in better lap times or tire longevity?

If you're a "typical" open track enthusiast who wants a good track tire so you don't kill your street tires, then I think the Nitto NT01s are about the best "bang for the buck". They're not the fastest tires, certainly, but they wear very well and in a given size they're typically one of the least expensive R-compounds. The other alternative is the Continental Grand-Am take-offs, which you can get dirt cheap in 275/35-18 from various websites.

If you're looking for lap times, then Hoosiers or maybe Hankook Z214s would be my suggestions.
Just looking to have a little fun on the track, I have a set of R888's and i was just looking for something that would wear decently and still be a decent track tire. I just go to the track for fun.

I run 275/35-18s all around, as do a number of others. (I think just about all of us that run on track with the 18x9" Team Dynamics wheels run 275/35s.) I rolled my front fender lips, but that was mostly as a precaution - I don't know if it was really necessary.

Oh? Tell us more! :)
Good to know, maybe in the Future I will invest in a set of the team Dynamic wheels. For now I will just use my stock wheels however I don't think they aren't really wide enough to fit a 275 track tire proeprly.

On the Control Arms, I believe Lunarx had a Hammer V and they did some tricks with the front control arm. Not sure about that but that is what I remember. That and I know CaliCadi was into Autox and he was running 265's all they way around and he had doen some fancy work with flaring. I'm curiuos to understand why the 275's work on the front now and what did these people miss? Was it the offset?

If you're looking for R-compounds (which is what this thread is about), then good luck finding options in that size. I think you have a single option - Hoosiers, which are expensive and don't last all that long.

There are basically no options in 245/45-18 or 275/40-18, which is why we all go down an aspect ratio to either 245/40-18 (what I used to run) or 275/35-18 (what I run now). Concur that 19"s are not the way to go - the sizing options are similarly limited, and they're even more expensive than the 18"s.

I would tend to think a very good max or extreme performance summer tire would be the way to go in that case.
You're right of course, I don't know what I was thinking about the size, maybe it's just a dream. I will be going 245/40 R18 all the way around for now. I was not serious about the 19's, I realize they are not the way to go.

Very few drag racers in the V1 crowd, particularly on sticky tires (rear end go BOOM!).

For the open trackers, what do you guys have available in 245/40-18 or 275/35-18? That will basically cover all of the V1 guys - either those on stock size wheels (245/40s) or those on wider wheels (275/35s).lol, very good point. But probably more like BOOM! RATTLE! DRIBBLE!!!

Time to call the guys at D3 and see if I can still get the R888's on sale.

repenttokyo
03-30-13, 05:29 PM
Looks like I am going to try BFG Rivals instead of the Hankooks - really good reviews and better treadwear.

thebigjimsho
04-04-13, 03:56 PM
Treadwear means nothing from brand to brand.

repenttokyo
04-05-13, 01:53 PM
Treadwear means nothing from brand to brand.

have you seen the testing putting the hankooks and the rivals against each other?

thebigjimsho
04-05-13, 05:19 PM
I got advice from a friend who races Vettes at RoadAtlanta that the Hankooks wear well. And that the soft C91 compound wears very well for how soft it is.

I only had one track day at VIR, but the wear was minimal. On a heavy V2.

----------

Besides, I bought them used for cheap $$

repenttokyo
04-06-13, 07:55 PM
I got advice from a friend who races Vettes at RoadAtlanta that the Hankooks wear well. And that the soft C91 compound wears very well for how soft it is.

I only had one track day at VIR, but the wear was minimal. On a heavy V2.

----------

Besides, I bought them used for cheap $$

a friend of mine really likes his hankooks too, and it's what I was going to buy. But the same friend turned me on to the rivals, and the pricing is within $120 for a set of four, and i've been reading really good things.

I have V12 EVO street tires on my car now, so I am a Hankook fan. I haven't made the decision yet, but I will have to figure it out this month.