: Dyno results stock ~VS~ Cat back Magnaflow

WINspeed
03-04-13, 02:26 AM
Owning a shop has it's advantages. My favorite perk is probably the Dynojet. I bought a 2010 CTS-V Sedan Automatic last week and couldn't wait to begin playing with it. We are primarily a diesel shop, But I have always built fast cars and boats and have been drag racing for 23 years now. My diesel parts wholesaler deals in a few companies that produce gas car products as well.

We can get Corsa and Magnaflow Exhaust for the V. I decided to try out a Magnaflow since it replaces more of the stock exhaust than the Corsa and costs us the same.

DISCLAIMER! I am not an authorized vendor nor am I attempting to sell any parts. I'm in no way trying to make money off this post, and I will not respond to any requests in regards to buying parts. If interested in any parts I may test, please use an authorized Cadillac Forums vendor. I figured sharing this information may be helpful and interesting subject matter for my fellow CTS-V owners.

Upon breaking away from the wife's chores today, I headed to the shop for some play time. I ran a quick Baseline on the dyno and began to attack the exhaust. After un-boxing the exhaust, I realized it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. It's not a bolt on kit. I was hoping it would replace everything from the flanges(first set of cats back) and that it would get rid of that nasty crimped area right behind the flanges. It actually calls for the stock pipes to be cut 11" behind the second cats, I contemplated even installing it. I was thinking the only gain would be noise. But since I already had the system, I broke out the Sawzall and reluctantly went to work. About an hour later the exhaust was installed and the fit was very good, I would rate the fit an 8 out of 10. Not bad for a bunch of slip together parts.

I put it on the Dyno and here is the fun part. It gained a max of 21hp below the peak and the peak numbers showed:
458.65-Bone stock
475.95-With only the Magnaflow exhaust. I was absolutely shocked!

Both runs were backed up, three runs each with only two HP between the high and low. The Damn printer was out of ink so I took a picture with the cell phone, Here it is. I had to crop it several times before it would upload due to its size. But you can see the most of the curve and how it compares to stock.

Driving the car revealed the noise did increase substantially, but not too bad. There is an annoying drone that diminishes when cruising at 2200+ RPM. The power increase is definitely felt by the seat of the pants. It pulls harder in the upper R's.

My Airiad CIA is supposed to be here tomorrow, If I have time I'll throw it on and Dyno again.:D

Enjoy,

WINspeed

LeeH
03-04-13, 05:45 AM
I went with Corsa Sport exhaust and Air Raid CAI. I did the exhaust last week, and my SOTP dyno didn't seen to feel much improvement. I installed the Air Raid on Saturday, and I disconnected the battery so the ECM would have to relearn. This time the results felt pretty awesome! Even after putting 300 miles on the car there it still feels faster.
Nice to know that my SOTP is backed up by fact.

Please do post the dyno results!

RobF300
03-04-13, 08:49 AM
Ive been reading that when you disconnect the battery you will get some high numbers as the car learns, can either of you post how much boost you were seeing on the dyno?

LeeH
03-04-13, 12:03 PM
Ive been reading that when you disconnect the battery you will get some high numbers as the car learns, can either of you post how much boost you were seeing on the dyno?

My SOTP (Seat Of The Pants) dyno doesn't do numbers. Thats why I was asking the OP to please post his dyno results :D

I'm familiar with the ECM learning curve - that's why I waited over 200+ miles to see if still felt strong...

Gary Wells
03-04-13, 12:49 PM
I also would likde to see / know complete dyno chart / #'s, correction factor, boost pressure, etc., etc.,

Bigron
03-04-13, 12:55 PM
Glad to hear you are enjoying the car.

I went with Borla to avoid drone and cutting the pipes. Also deleting the secondary cats.
I am eager to see what the numbers are for an exhaust and CAI. Basiclly the same setup I have, granted I have a manual.

WINspeed
03-04-13, 04:54 PM
I also would likde to see / know complete dyno chart / #'s, correction factor, boost pressure, etc., etc.,

I was planning on posting the complete photo of the chart , but the file size was too big and I had to keep cropping it until it would upload. I didn't disconnect the battery(Thought that was just for the CAI.) I didn't look at the boost, as it just has the stock gauge and pully's so I didn't see a point in that. I'll look when I dyno the CIA. The numbers are not corrected, but I did check SAE and the factor for both runs would have been .95.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car.

I went with Borla to avoid drone and cutting the pipes. Also deleting the secondary cats.
I am eager to see what the numbers are for an exhaust and CAI. Basiclly the same setup I have, granted I have a manual.

That Borla system sounds like what I was originally looking for, Too bad I'm not a dealer for them. If nothing is torn apart on the Dyno lift tonight I'll have more numbers.

RobF300
03-04-13, 06:27 PM
Wn- next time you dyno log the boost with the dyno software this way you can analyze the results.

15hp aint bad at all with no tuning, be interesting to see if the baseline number changes when ou put the CAI-have you driven the car since?

austin
03-04-13, 06:35 PM
I put it on the Dyno and here is the fun part. It gained a max of 21hp below the peak and the peak numbers showed:
458.65-Bone stock
475.95-With only the Magnaflow exhaust. I was absolutely shocked!

Check this video out for comparison! It looks like it lost some TRQ when the Corsa mufflers were added... I look forward to the HP/TRQ results of the full Magnaflow exhaust vs the full Corsa exhaust + CAI;

Dyno run #1 is the Stock Run; -------------------------- 457/458 (Stock HP/TRQ Almost Equal)
Dyno run #2 is Airaid alone added; --------------------- 478/476 (Good Increase in HP/TRQ)
Dyno run #3 is Airaid + Corsa Mufflers added; -------- 483/465 (More HP but Decrease in TRQ)

http://youtu.be/QxwnjAwRu1Y

WINspeed
03-04-13, 10:01 PM
Wn- next time you dyno log the boost with the dyno software this way you can analyze the results.

15hp aint bad at all with no tuning, be interesting to see if the baseline number changes when ou put the CAI-have you driven the car since?

I've driven the car with the exhaust, but I just opened the Airaid box. I'll be installing it in a few minutes. The Dyno rack is tied up on a transmission job, so my next dyno opportunity will probably be Sunday. I'm not aware of a way to log the boost using the dyno, I was planning on watching the gauge(which is kind of pointless since it lacks numbers.) I will also hook up the ignition lead this time so we get some torque numbers.

Check this video out for comparison! It looks like it lost some TRQ when the Corsa mufflers were added... I look forward to the HP/TRQ results of the full Magnaflow exhaust vs the full Corsa exhaust + CAI;

Dyno run #1 is the Stock Run; -------------------------- 457/458 (Stock HP/TRQ Almost Equal)
Dyno run #2 is Airaid alone added; --------------------- 478/476 (Good Increase in HP/TRQ)
Dyno run #3 is Airaid + Corsa Mufflers added; -------- 483/465 (More HP but Decrease in TRQ)

Wow, the baseline is real close. This will be a good comparison.

Gary Wells
03-05-13, 01:31 PM
Winspeed:
I would sure like to have the following info so I could add your info to my chart.

1) Cad bone stock RWHP & RWTQ (A6+M6) (all dynos):

rwhp---rwtq---trans--corr------dyno-----------date----------loc--------owner

450-----444-----A6-----sae-----Dynojet------01-24-12-------nc-------wd2009ctsv
451-----439-----A6-----sae-----Dynojet------02-25-10-------tx-------richeic77
452-----468-----A6-----sae-----Mustang-----04-22-11-------fl--------miamictsv
454-----453-----A6-----xxx-----Dynojet------05-03-09-------xx-------mafungu
455-----445-----M6----std.-----Dynojet------03-08-11-------nv-------fst dad
456-----451-----A6-----sae-----Dynojet------10-13-10-------ca-------garywells
457-----459-----A6-----xxx-----Dynojet------10-07-09-------fl--------lowet
459-----459-----A6-----sae-----Dynojet------12-07-09-------tx-------nineball
459-----462-----A6-----xxx-----Dynojet------01-27-10-------az-------mike09v
460-----454-----A6-----sae-----Dynojet------01-07-10-------tx-------dons

Many thanks in advance:
Bone stock info only please.

WINspeed
03-06-13, 07:06 PM
Winspeed:
I would sure like to have the following info so I could add your info to my chart.

1) Cad bone stock RWHP & RWTQ (A6+M6) (all dynos):

rwhp---rwtq---trans--corr------dyno-----------date----------loc--------owner

450-----444-----A6-----sae-----Dynojet------01-24-12-------nc-------wd2009ctsv
451-----439-----A6-----sae-----Dynojet------02-25-10-------tx-------richeic77
452-----468-----A6-----sae-----Mustang-----04-22-11-------fl--------miamictsv
454-----453-----A6-----xxx-----Dynojet------05-03-09-------xx-------mafungu
455-----445-----M6----std.-----Dynojet------03-08-11-------nv-------fst dad
456-----451-----A6-----sae-----Dynojet------10-13-10-------ca-------garywells
457-----459-----A6-----xxx-----Dynojet------10-07-09-------fl--------lowet
459-----459-----A6-----sae-----Dynojet------12-07-09-------tx-------nineball
459-----462-----A6-----xxx-----Dynojet------01-27-10-------az-------mike09v
460-----454-----A6-----sae-----Dynojet------01-07-10-------tx-------dons
458-----456-----A6-----unc-----Dynojet------03-01-13-------ca------winspeed
Many thanks in advance:
Bone stock info only please.

Added...I didn't have the ignition lead hooked up to get a Tq reading so the torque number was figured mathematically by an engineer friend.

Gary Wells
03-06-13, 07:45 PM
Many thanks, WINspeed, I will add that data to my master.

WINspeed
03-10-13, 01:01 AM

Well here it is, Dyno sheet with Airaid CIA and Magnaflow Exhaust. Bone stock otherwise, No tune!

WINspeed
03-10-13, 01:05 AM
I cant seem to get it to upload without sending it as an attachment. I'm very happy with the result! I never would have guessed two bolt on parts and no tune would make over 500 at the wheels.

HUGN*RDS
05-02-13, 09:58 AM
I was just looking this thread over as I saw it earlier but not with all this new information in it. Those are some good numbers, magnaflow certainly held its ground. I do wonder about the full corsa though. I also wonder what it would take to make more tq than hp because that one guy replaced his mufflers and lost tq. I think having the stock ones in there helps and so for me I will maybe do headers and x-pipe and remove all the reduced diameter areas and run it through the stock mufflers. You have to believe the stock mufflers on a now modded 500hp car are a severe limitation but I saw some people 650+whp with stock muffs. Maybe they are good for the back pressure after all. Thanks for the info and please keep the thread informed if you do any more mods!

2013CTSV
05-02-13, 10:11 AM
does back pressure affect superchargers like it does turbos? If so you dont want any back pressure @ all which means opening up the exhaust as much as you possibly can will be the most beneficial.

HUGN*RDS
05-02-13, 10:51 AM
does back pressure affect superchargers like it does turbos? If so you dont want any back pressure @ all which means opening up the exhaust as much as you possibly can will be the most beneficial.
Any combustion engine with a length of exhaust relies on back pressure. Remember for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. So because of the continuous wave of exhaust pulses produced from power strokes and opening exhaust valves, the "opposite" pressure (back pressure) is what actually sucks the used gas out of the cylinder (especially important with large valve overlap cams), then the exhaust manifolds, and finally out the back of the exhaust. The trick is really to get the right amount of back pressure. Too little is not good (unless you run open dump out the manifolds) and too much can deminish your power gains. The stock system accellerates the gas flow out the tips and that's ideal, but there is room for improvement.

2013CTSV
05-02-13, 02:51 PM
Any combustion engine with a length of exhaust relies on back pressure. Remember for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. So because of the continuous wave of exhaust pulses produced from power strokes and opening exhaust valves, the "opposite" pressure (back pressure) is what actually sucks the used gas out of the cylinder (especially important with large valve overlap cams), then the exhaust manifolds, and finally out the back of the exhaust. The trick is really to get the right amount of back pressure. Too little is not good (unless you run open dump out the manifolds) and too much can deminish your power gains. The stock system accellerates the gas flow out the tips and that's ideal, but there is room for improvement.

I was running open dumps on my evo so I literally had no back pressure and the car absolutely love it and screamed all the way to redline. I guess that would contribute to why my thoughts are no back pressure on boosted vehicles is a good thing.