: Cue Improvement(s)/Problems/Suggestions - March Release (New Version)

bungee91
03-03-13, 05:49 PM
I wanted to start a new thread that focused primarily on the new version of Cue that everyone should be getting soon or have received lately.
The old thread titled "Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread" has gotten very large and also a lot of the problems people talk about have been fixed in this new release!
As you know it is more common to talk about problems than to give praise, however I do want to say the update is vastly better than it was prior to, and to give some positive feedback/kudos to the team and also Codeman for taking the time to listen and use our feedback to make Cue overall better.

EDIT, apparently this forum only allows editing for a couple of days, so once that happens I won't be able to edit this post. I don't know why that's the case as I think it is a really stupid policy!

I'd REALLY like to make this first post list the problems people have had, for easy accessibility to all who comes to read it. With that in mind I'd like to edit this post and add (with your name next to it) your comments where appropriate. Therefore ideas and such don't get buried under pages and pages of comments (some will certainly not be helpful comments also...LOL). This will then be easier to read by all, and have a lot of information easily accessible (it is my hope anyway).
I don't have a lot of issues that I've noticed so far, and hopefully the list will remain small.

*If my editing of what you've stated isn't to your liking, please let me know. I'm trying to make things concise and clear, but I'm sure I'll make mistakes along the way

ATS Current version #'s for reference (from my car at least, with all known updates)
Software Version: 23150273
Gracenote: 22993544
Map: 22993553

Problems

General

Pandora
Still getting "Check connected device" at times. The only way to fix this seems to be to reboot the phone and then go to another source and then back to Pandora. This is over Bluetooth with a Nexus 4 on Android 4.2.2. I believe it to be an issue with the phone going into accessory mode, as a restart and a toggle fixes it.
----------(ewired) Mine does this currently as well. iPhone5 plugged into either USB. Usually have to reopen app and once it see the connected to accessory screen it magically reappears on CUE.

[B]Navigation
[marktanner] (while using nav to a destination) The audio prompts stopped working, as did all of the other prompts, split screen features, and arrival time feature. I checked in the settings, and audio prompts were turned off. I turned it back on, but still no prompts. No prompts in the DIC or HUD, either. This morning, fortunately, all was back to normal.
[marktanner] I used the Nav for a few destinations. One address was not located properly, for which I blame MapQuest/Navtec.

Climate Control
Heat setting seems to un-"sync" at times when I start the car, and I swear I had it synced prior to, however when I go to the climate control it has both zones at different temperatures. - I'll watch this to see if I'm not just crazy

[B]USB/SD Card

Voice Command

Weather
[marktanner] when I get into weather alerts, I cannot get back to my original Nav view without going through the home screen first.

Suggestions/Improvements

General
[bungee91] Can the new startup sound on Cue be selectable on/off under settings? It is cool at first, but annoying at other times, an option would be appreciated.
**********[codeman71] Yes there is a setting for this. In Settings, choose Radio. Then select Audio Cue Volume. If you turn it off here you shouldn't get those sounds any more
[ewired] My take on CUE. Give us the freedom to adjust the programming of what CUE can do. If you did not build this device to be accessible to the programming scenes for the end user, then you should allow us to make personal changes to the USER interface via some type of Service and make that available through USB updates that we could do in our driveway.
I'm thinking more like when I Unlock my car with my Remote it knows its me. Tune to my station, put my climate to the temp I like by monitoring the current outside temp not the last set temp. Put my car in SPORT mode, hell even open my roof depending on set temps and be smart enough to know if its rained don't open the roof, we have a RainSense sensor.....

Pandora
Steering wheel controls next button doesn't go to next song (as it does for USB/SD) and when pressed changes to an XM station (in my case). - Intentional?
----------[ewired] We should be able to use the next of the wheel. I feel that if the app can not be controlled via the button, turn that damn button off when Pandora is selected!
[bungee91] When selecting a station under browse, after making a selection it should just go back to the now playing screen without having to press exit in the upper right corner every time (my opinion at least).
----------[ewired] I think I would rather have to exit the screen after selecting the browsed station like it does prior to update. I prefer the way it works now. What if the station you just selected is something you do not like and what to select another one? If the CUE goes to the Now Playing screen you would have to go back to the browse page. Would you rather have to go back to the browse button to reselect a station or being sitting on the browse page? I'll take the way it is now.

[B]Navigation

Climate Control

USB/SD Card
[bungee91] I'd really like the option for a file/folder view somewhere under the browse section.

Voice Command
[bungee91] When asking for a particular artist to play, if the artist isn't an option (meaning I thought I had it on a USB/SD card, but didn't) I think the response should give some sort of feedback of that. Being that Cue can understand what you're saying, maybe a response of "The artist The Who (for example) isn't an option, did you mean ..."?. I just think it would make her sound more like she understood as opposed to me thinking she was wrong, and then looking, and then finding out I'm the idiot and she was correct. Can she read back what you said in her words? So then again "The Who isn't an option, do you mean ..."?

Weather
[bungee91] Have Cue read the weather alerts to you if you choose to "learn more" or access the alerts menu. Trying to read (sometimes) an entire page of a weather alert while driving doesn't seem too forward thinking

ewired
03-03-13, 06:46 PM
To be clear I have not received the update yet.
My replies are with my experience before the update.

Ironically my ATS was in for service Thursday and Friday and didn't get the update due to my dealer not receiving the update yet. Shrugs...no biggie but don't understand it either.

My response it to the PANDORA section

1. Pandora did that from the start. I agree with you. We should be able to use the next of the wheel. Bummer to see the update doesn't address this. But I understand the thinking behind it. I feel that if the app can not be controlled via the button, turn that damn button off when Pandora is selected! It sure beats getting booted from Pandora because you pushed the wrong button.

2. Mine does this currently as well. iPhone5 plugged into either USB. Usually have to reopen app and once it see the connected to accessory screen it magically reappears on CUE.

3. I think I would rather have to exit the screen after selecting the browsed station like it does prior to update. I prefer the way it works now. What if the station you just selected is something you do not like and what to select another one? If the CUE goes to the Now Playing screen you would have to go back to the browse page. Would you rather have to go back to the browse button to reselect a station or being sitting on the browse page? I'll take the way it is now.

My take on CUE. Give us the freedom to adjust the programming of what CUE can do. If you did not build this device to be accessible to the programming scenes for the end user, then you should allow us to make personal changes to the USER interface via some type of Service and make that available through USB updates that we could do in our driveway.

I'm thinking more like when I Unlock my car with my Remote it knows its me. Tune to my station, put my climate to the temp I like by monitoring the current outside temp not the last set temp. Put my car in SPORT mode, hell even open my roof depending on set temps and be smart enough to know if its rained don't open the roof, we have a RainSense sensor.....

Edit away

marktanner
03-04-13, 01:46 AM
My car came with the update. It's better than the first edition, but still has bugs. For instance, when I get into weather alerts, I cannot get back to my original Nav view without going through the home screen first. Also, yesterday, I used the Nav for a few destinations. One address was not located properly, for which I blame MapQuest/Navtec. After finally finding the correct location, using the maps, I then used the Nav to plot my way home. The audio prompts stopped working, as did all of the other prompts, split screen features, and arrival time feature. I checked in the settings, and audio prompts were turned off. I turned it back on, but still no prompts. No prompts in the DIC or HUD, either. This morning, fortunately, all was back to normal.

A question: when one wants to cancel a route, how do you do it on the screen? I can't find a command for it, except by voice.

danscrim
03-04-13, 06:55 AM
A question: when one wants to cancel a route, how do you do it on the screen? I can't find a command for it, except by voice.

You can do it on the DIC by highlighting and selecting the Nav view... then clicking "End Route". Or you can do it through your center stack through the Menu button I believe.

bungee91
03-04-13, 09:34 AM
Updated, thank you!

codeman71
03-04-13, 11:50 AM
[bungee91] Can the new startup sound on Cue be selectable on/off under settings? It is cool at first, but annoying at other times, an option would be appreciated.

Yes there is a setting for this. In Settings, choose Radio. Then select Audio Cue Volume. If you turn it off here you shouldn't get those sounds any more.

Gerry863
03-04-13, 01:02 PM
It appears that a CUE update takes place at a Cadillac dealership. Is there any mechanism to provide an update via an SD card, USB, or remotely via an Internet connection? I live a good distance away from a dealer and it would be quite a drive including time lost. Can a GM dealer do it? I only live 5 minutes away from a GMC shop. I would hate to have to bring in my PC computer every time it needed an update.

This also holds true for the Premium Maintenance Program.This isn't part of this discussion thread but can that also be done by a GMC dealer? My somewhat local (60 minutes away) Caddy dealer went out of business a couple years back.

bungee91
03-04-13, 01:38 PM
Yes there is a setting for this. In Settings, choose Radio. Then select Audio Cue Volume. If you turn it off here you shouldn't get those sounds any more.
Good thinking, thanks! I did see that option, however I didn't know that it specifically effected the start up volume.

pkadanec
03-05-13, 09:04 AM
I cannot speak for GM, however I asked this same question, and you must use a Cadillac dealer for your Cadillac Shield maintenance, they must also be the ones that perform the update. The update for your vehicle is related to your VIN, so any recalls will be performed at the same time. You will be getting a full tank of gas, a $50 Visa gift card and a loaner vehical if the updates to your vehicle take longer than a few hours. Again, i am just a customer, but this is what I was told.

Chris Shillinger
03-06-13, 04:26 PM
It appears that a CUE update takes place at a Cadillac dealership. Is there any mechanism to provide an update via an SD card, USB, or remotely via an Internet connection?

Not currently. All updates for CUE must be done at a dealership. I heard of two future possibilities for the software updates. One being through OnStar, just like sending you directions to your nav, but sending update information. The second being that future versions of these models will have built-in wifi. Therefore not needing a phone for Pandora or a dealership for updates. Keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath.

RippyPartsDept
03-06-13, 05:01 PM
FYI, the forum will only let you edit your post for a few days (you're probably close to getting cut off if you haven't already)
... after that you will need a moderator to edit it for you

----------

with respect to having to go to a dealer for the update i think it's a matter of there just being too many ways for things to go wrong

there's probably 1000 dealer employees across the country that got trained (or are getting trained) to do these updates
there's enough that could go wrong as it is

for instance:
one xts that was being programmed overnight got it's battery tender unplugged by someone who didn't know better as they were shutting down the shop at the end of the day
that caused quite the scene in the morning ... dead battery, half installed update, cue that wouldn't boot up...
we had to call GM and get them to tell us how to proceed since that wasn't one of the planned for scenarios that was in the training
imagine the crazy situations people could get themselves into if they did the update themselves

it's more of a quality of service vs convenience trade-off that Cadillac is choosing between
they would rather inconvenience you to come to a dealer for the service (and get it done right)
than make it convenient for you but end up dealing with the myriad scenarios that people would eventually find themselves in
and even then if something goes wrong it wasn't your fault (as the owner) and Cadillac can make it right

i'm the kind of person that would appreciate the convenience factor of doing an update myself
and i could trust myself to follow any directions and get it done right (as i'm sure most people a forum like this would have confidence that they wouldn't mess it up)
but we're not really the typical owner and even there are other 'out of our control'

most people who mess up their PCs don't realize that it was their actions that messed up the PC
they browsed to that website
they were using IE instead of a safer browser
they didn't update windows or their virus protection
they forgot to backup their important data even when there were warning signs of hard drive failure
but they blame the stupid computer, right?

cadillac doesn't want people getting mad or frustrated at all in any interaction with them
so this update process is not as convenient as it could be (knowing the technological possibilities that are available)
but there is much less chance at someone having a bad experience

----------

sorry for the wall of text

bungee91
03-07-13, 09:09 AM
FYI, the forum will only let you edit your post for a few days (you're probably close to getting cut off if you haven't already)
... after that you will need a moderator to edit it for you

Thanks for letting me know that, I had no idea.
It really defeats the focus I was going for with this thread.. :rant2:

RippyPartsDept
03-07-13, 09:40 AM
well if you can get the attention of a mod you can probably PM some edits to them as needed (probably once a day at most... really depending on how much activity there is here)

i do like the idea of a CUE clearinghouse thread

NJRonbo
03-07-13, 03:04 PM
One of the buggiest aspects of the OLD software was that I would constantly have to select SHUFFLE every time I wanted to listen to my music in shuffle mode.

With this update is there the ability to keep shuffle turned on indefinitely?

jeffpaletz
03-09-13, 03:02 PM
My son got a 2012 VW SUV which has digital HD radio. On FM HD stations, the radio shows the logo of the station and when songs are playing, the album artwork is displayed. Could that feature be added to a future update of CUE? Currently CUE shows artwork when one is playing the USB or SD card with MP3 files. The space on the screen is there, it just needs to use the data in the HD stream. I didnt check many radio stations but the one that I saw in Minneapolis that has station logo and artwork is KDWB 101.3.

slepr
03-09-13, 03:21 PM
Thus far since the update the Shuffle is remaining on (as opposed to before the update when I would frequently have to reactivate it). Also it has yet to fail to begin playing my songs from USB stick. Before I would frequently have to remove and replace the usb stick for it to be recognized.

One change I would like to see is for the screen to revert back to whatever it was on before making a phone call. As it is now, after I end a call it stays on the phone screen instead of going back to whatever I was on (either NAV or Audio) before the call.

marktanner
03-09-13, 11:28 PM
The question I asked earlier was how to end a route besides by voice. My car doesn't have an "end-route" "button" on the screen that I can find, unlike my previous system on the CTS-V. Apparently, original CUE has it. Has anyone with the update found it? Did it disappear with the update? I hope I'm just not blind, but it's driving me a little nuts, especially when I have arrived at my destination and it doesn't think so.

Scott Reinhold
03-12-13, 04:18 PM
Hello, I see people saying that album art displays for them after the update, but mine still does not. I've loaded a USB stick with iTunes formatted and mp3 music, and all I see are the musical notes. Am I missing something? The only time I see album art is while playing Pandora. Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott

bungee91
03-12-13, 04:45 PM
Hello, I see people saying that album art displays for them after the update, but mine still does not. I've loaded a USB stick with iTunes formatted and mp3 music, and all I see are the musical notes. Am I missing something? The only time I see album art is while playing Pandora. Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott
If the album art is embedded in the ID3 tag, Cue will display it. It is possible yours isn't embedded currently, however you can fix that by using many different ID3 editing programs, like Tag & rename or many other programs.

----------

Also I believe the iTunes based songs won't display the cover art, or so I've read anyways. Someone else may have more info on that, I don't have an iTunes library.

jeffpaletz
03-12-13, 11:48 PM
You have to be sure you are playing MP3 files, not M4a files, which is what Itunes uses. Put your USB or SD card into a computer and check the file type. If you play the songs on your computer but not in itunes, does the album artwork show up?

rustybear3
03-13-13, 06:11 AM
Thus far since the update the Shuffle is remaining on (as opposed to before the update when I would frequently have to reactivate it). Also it has yet to fail to begin playing my songs from USB stick. Before I would frequently have to remove and replace the usb stick for it to be recognized.

One change I would like to see is for the screen to revert back to whatever it was on before making a phone call. As it is now, after I end a call it stays on the phone screen instead of going back to whatever I was on (either NAV or Audio) before the call.

Strange....others in this thread reported that since the update, the screen does revert back to whatever was on before making a phone call. I will definitely test this out before I leave the dealership when I get the update.....Katie, do you have any info on this? :)

cullama213
03-15-13, 07:14 PM
Strange....others in this thread reported that since the update, the screen does revert back to whatever was on before making a phone call. I will definitely test this out before I leave the dealership when I get the update.....Katie, do you have any info on this? :)

This is NOT working for me! It's staying on the phone screen...

slepr
03-17-13, 07:19 PM
Yes, multiple times when making or receiving calls, it stays on the phone screen after ending the call and does not go back to the previous screen (in my case either the audio screen or the nav screen). Still having flawless playback from my usb stick... very happy with that change!!!

pkadanec
03-18-13, 08:46 AM
I too have noticed that shuffle is on and cannot be turned off (shows as off in CUE settings and is off in iPod settings as well)

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-18-13, 10:45 AM

This is NOT working for me! It's staying on the phone screen...

Hi everyone! I'm very sorry to see that some of you have been continuing to experience frustrations, so I wanted to hop on this thread to make sure you all had the Infotainment Customer Support Group hotline information. We do urge you to get in touch with them if you continue to have lingering questions/concerns, and their phone number is 855-428-3669. Agents are available Monday to Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm EST; Saturday 8:00am - 4pm EST!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

inspectorudy
03-18-13, 07:30 PM
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
I too have noticed that the screen does NOT revert back to the pre-call page. That would be a nice feature but it wasn't in the latest update. I have had to re-pair my cell phone twice since the installation. It will be fine for one or two trips and then will not connect. Today after answering an incoming call the screen did revert back to the NAV screen after the call was ended. Maybe if you initiate the call from your screen it won't revert back but with an incoming call it did just what I would have designed it to do! One issue that my wife found puzzling was when you make a call and it connects and you are given a choice of future buttons to push as in an extension after your reached number we had to push the duplicate chevrons on the lower right side of the screen to get the push pad again or reach for your cell phone. It was chevrons push, phone ico push and then the button pad was available.

danscrim
03-19-13, 06:54 AM
One issue that remains after in the new version is regarding the "Cruise Set To" mini-page on the DIC. On some cars.... this "Cruise Set To" mini page is set on the right side of your DIC, overwriting any page setting (e.g., fuel mileage) you had there before. The problem arises when the cruise is then turned off.... the "Cruise Set To Off" page remains on the right side of the DIC and you have to manually reset the page to your setting.

I think this has something to do with the HUD because when I was given a 3.6 Luxury with Nav as a loaner, it didn't have this issue... but my car does it everytime.

inspectorudy
03-19-13, 08:26 PM
I think that considering all of the different models of cars that we all represent there are probably issues that we all do not share. Plus the options that some of us have on the same models and others do not will make direct comparisons difficult. I am happy with the fact that GM has taken steps to keep CUE up to date with some of the wishes of the owners. If we keep letting them know what features we would like and problems we are having with the current version maybe they will give us more updates. As Codeman said they had round table discussions to decide which features to leave alone or change. We have all been with a group trying to decide where to eat so we all know how different opinions are and how tough it is to decide which ones to support. Keep at it Codeman!

cullama213
03-23-13, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone! I'm very sorry to see that some of you have been continuing to experience frustrations, so I wanted to hop on this thread to make sure you all had the Infotainment Customer Support Group hotline information. We do urge you to get in touch with them if you continue to have lingering questions/concerns, and their phone number is 855-428-3669. Agents are available Monday to Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm EST; Saturday 8:00am - 4pm EST!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Katie, thanks just called and left my concerns with Casandra.

caitlex
03-26-13, 07:25 PM
My MEMORY SEATS worked fine before my update yesterday...now they don't hold a memory. GRRR

Chris Shillinger
03-27-13, 10:55 AM
From my experience I believe the update changes the way they are saved. There are two ways to save a seat depending on your vehicle. The update, for some reason, switched the way you program a memory seat. Try both these methods to see which works for your vehicle:

1.Set your seat to the position you want then press the set button once, and immediately after, press and hold the number you want to save it to and wait for the beep. (Approx. 2 seconds).
2.Set your seat to the position you want then press and hold the set button and the number you want to save it to simultaneously and wait for the beep.

If neither method works, then call your dealership.

NJRonbo
03-27-13, 12:24 PM
I suppose the biggest ongoing annoyance for me is the shuffle feature.

....not the fact that exists, but that everytime I get into the vehicle I have to turn it on.

Many people don't want to hear their music alphabetically. And, many people don't want to constantly have to hit shuffle "on" if their preference is for shuffling

I suppose it would be nice to be able to set the shuffle once and forget about it.

bungee91
03-27-13, 01:35 PM

....not the fact that exists, but that everytime I get into the vehicle I have to turn it on.

Many people don't want to hear their music alphabetically. And, many people don't want to constantly have to hit shuffle "on" if their preference is for shuffling

I suppose it would be nice to be able to set the shuffle once and forget about it.

The shuffle staying on has been working reliably for me, so I wonder if you're the only one having the issue (or if I just haven't noticed yet?)?
I do have a problem with shuffle however that if you have songs with symbols prior to the name, it will at times get stuck only on those songs and not skip to the next track.

An example would be: I have about 500 songs on shuffle (I go to the songs list at the bottom and select any one, therefore playing everything) I have 2 songs in that list that are titled "*Fin" and "'Tell That Mick..." one starts with a * and the other starts with a '.
At times when going to the next track it plays one of these 2 songs, and then it gets stuck on these 2 songs indefinitely. So hitting next goes to the opposite song, and next again goes back to that previous song.

This also happens quite often when first getting back into my car. It'll resume my current song fine, however the next song played will be one of those (*Fin, or 'Tell that Mick...) and it will be stuck on those two until I go back to the songs list at the bottom and select another song in order to have it play all of them again.

I'd assume this problem would happen to everyone if they have certain symbols in the beginning of the track name, however a symbol of [ or ( doesn't seem to have this problem (as I have tracks like that and it has never got stuck on them).
I'm using both an SD card and a USB flash drive, playing music under the "my media library" source input.

NJRonbo
03-27-13, 02:55 PM
No, as far as I know, shuffle turns itself off every time you exit the vehicle.

I am always having to turn it back on.

bungee91
03-27-13, 03:49 PM
No, as far as I know, shuffle turns itself off every time you exit the vehicle.

I am always having to turn it back on.

I'm shocked as I know for sure mine does not. I've been using local music a lot more now as Pandora play back can be very frustrating.

danscrim
03-28-13, 08:42 AM
I'm shocked as I know for sure mine does not. I've been using local music a lot more now as Pandora play back can be very frustrating.

Same here. My shuffle stays on since the update. I've been using a 64 GB SD card.

anodyne13
03-28-13, 05:02 PM
Is there a way to stream Nelflix through to the Display while parked? I only get the audio coming through. I used to do this with my Infiniti and it was a great feature when I was somewhere with some time to kill. Seems like it should be simple with the a connected iphone.

RippyPartsDept
03-28-13, 05:13 PM
There is no way to stream video currently ... that i know of

slepr
03-29-13, 11:30 PM

Before the update I would frequently have to turn shuffle back on, very frustrating. Since update it has stayed on without fail, very nice!

NJRonbo
03-30-13, 06:12 AM
No, mine is not staying on since or before update.

rustybear3
03-30-13, 08:09 AM
No, mine is not staying on since or before update.

Perhaps you need to go back to your dealership and have them download your update once again....you probably experience a download "hiccup".....my biggest complaint was about the shuffle not staying on, but I along with the majority of others on this forum can confirm that the update fixed that! Exiting or restarting the car should not cancel it. :yup:

NJRonbo
03-30-13, 08:10 AM
Rusty,

I am going to make a point of doing that.

kimobu
03-30-13, 07:20 PM
Using an iPhone, I have to re-enable shuffle every time. Prior to the update, shuffle would stay on correctly.

inspectorudy
03-31-13, 11:34 AM
I too had no problem with the shuffle on my Ipod before the up date but now I have to re-select it each time I use the Ipod.

NJRonbo
03-31-13, 01:19 PM
Thank you, guys. Now I don't feel alone in my problem.

Using an iPhone as an iPod I have to constantly re-select shuffle.

kiboater
03-31-13, 05:35 PM
Another feature that I would like to see is an improved Speed Warning. Currently the setting is warn if speed exceeds XX mph. I doubt anyone uses this. Since the speed limit is displayed as part of navigation, the warning would be useful is you could set it to warn if you were exceeding the speed limit by xx mph. This would be a feature lots of us would use.

vi2k13
03-31-13, 09:36 PM
My MEMORY SEATS worked fine before my update yesterday...now they don't hold a memory. GRRR
caitiex, did you take your car back to the dealer to have this issues fixed.

I picked up my 2013 SRX yesterday which came with CUE update from the factory. It has the same problem as yours with memory seats. I would appreciate if you can post back if you find any info. I am planning to take mine to the dealer on Tuesday and I will provide an update.

Thanks.

rustybear3
04-01-13, 07:54 AM
caitiex, did you take your car back to the dealer to have this issues fixed.

I picked up my 2013 SRX yesterday which came with CUE update from the factory. It has the same problem as yours with memory seats. I would appreciate if you can post back if you find any info. I am planning to take mine to the dealer on Tuesday and I will provide an update.

Thanks.

That's because the sequence is changed for setting the memory. Instead of holding the set button and the number 1 or 2 button at the same time as before, do this instead. Push the set button, THEN RELEASE IT......then push and hold the number 1 or 2 button until beep is heard. Memory set.

vi2k13
04-01-13, 08:53 AM
That's because the sequence is changed for setting the memory. Instead of holding the set button and the number 1 or 2 button at the same time as before, do this instead. Push the set button, THEN RELEASE IT......then push and hold the number 1 or 2 button until beep is heard. Memory set.

Thanks, rustybear3!

I did try following that procedure as well - someone else posted it this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/283428-cue-improvement-s-problems-suggestions-march-3.html#post3265616 However, neither method works in my vehicle.

bungee91
04-01-13, 09:17 AM
I just hold both at the same time and it beeps and confirms the saved setting.

kiboater
04-01-13, 10:03 AM
The CUE guy at my dealership explained that before the update the car just remembered the last remote. With the update now it recognizes the remote you are carrying and uses the settings that are tied to this remote. Is it possible that you are saving the settings to remote 2 but carrying remote 1?

This is just a guess

vi2k13
04-01-13, 10:42 AM
I just hold both at the same time and it beeps and confirms the saved setting.

I don't get the beep to confirm the programming was successful in either method. Appreciate your reconfirming though.

The CUE guy at my dealership explained that before the update the car just remembered the last remote. With the update now it recognizes the remote you are carrying and uses the settings that are tied to this remote. Is it possible that you are saving the settings to remote 2 but carrying remote 1?

This is just a guess
In this case I was trying to program the seat buttons 1 & 2; not the remote key fobs. But thanks anyway for explanation about new update works differently for key fobs as well. I needed that informntion too.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-01-13, 01:33 PM
I don't get the beep to confirm the programming was successful in either method. Appreciate your reconfirming though.

In this case I was trying to program the seat buttons 1 & 2; not the remote key fobs. But thanks anyway for explanation about new update works differently for key fobs as well. I needed that informntion too.

Hi vi2k13,

If you would like to DM your VIN, contact info, and dealership you are working with, I would like to call them and talk to them about this problem you are having. It could help them so they could do some research on your problem before you came in with the vehicle. Thanks a lot.

Gregory William,
Cadillac Customer Care

vi2k13
04-01-13, 06:16 PM
Hi vi2k13,

If you would like to DM your VIN, contact info, and dealership you are working with, I would like to call them and talk to them about this problem you are having. It could help them so they could do some research on your problem before you came in with the vehicle. Thanks a lot.

Gregory William,
Cadillac Customer Care

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for your assistance. My dealer has asked me to bring the vehicle tomorrow morning. If they cannot resolve the issue by end of the day, I will PM you the details so that you can escalate.

Cheers!

Chris Shillinger
04-02-13, 04:39 PM
The fobs are automatically programmed 1 or 2. To test which key you are using. Set the seat all the way forward and save it as 1 and then move it all the way back and save it as 2. Then turn the vehicle off and get out and lock the doors. Use the fob to unlock the vehicle. If the seat moves all the way forward you have key 1, if it moves all the way back you have key 2. ****YOU MUST HAVE YOUR SETTINGS SET APPROPRIATELY! Under Vehicle settings you can have the auto memory seats to move to saved position on key unlock or on ignition. I suggest ignition so that you can still have your easy exit option where your seat moves back to get in and out of the vehicle.
I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

vi2k13
04-02-13, 11:07 PM
Hi Gregory,

Thanks for your assistance. My dealer has asked me to bring the vehicle tomorrow morning. If they cannot resolve the issue by end of the day, I will PM you the details so that you can escalate.

Cheers!

Hi Gregory,

Apparently my memory seat issue was due to a loose connector and unrelated to CUE update. It was resolved fairly easily and quickly.

Thanks again for your offer of help though.

The fobs are automatically programmed 1 or 2. To test which key you are using. Set the seat all the way forward and save it as 1 and then move it all the way back and save it as 2. Then turn the vehicle off and get out and lock the doors. Use the fob to unlock the vehicle. If the seat moves all the way forward you have key 1, if it moves all the way back you have key 2. ****YOU MUST HAVE YOUR SETTINGS SET APPROPRIATELY! Under Vehicle settings you can have the auto memory seats to move to saved position on key unlock or on ignition. I suggest ignition so that you can still have your easy exit option where your seat moves back to get in and out of the vehicle.
I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Thanks very much for this helpful piece of info, Chris! I have been looking for it here but couldn't find any such posts. You certainly didn't confuse me but I wish you had posted this before I took the car to the dealer this morning. I too thought the fobs were pre-programmed as 1 & 2 based on what I had observed but nobody at the dealer could confirm it. Now I know for sure.

Also, I figured for the SRX at least, you have to press and hold both MEM button and the memory number button together until the beep for storing the positions.

flycaster
04-04-13, 12:14 PM
Just got a new ATS, how can I tell if CUE has been updated. The dealer said yes, but I still would like to check it out.

Chris Shillinger
04-04-13, 12:22 PM
Easiest way is to look at your icon for climate. If it is a snowflake than you are updated.

RippyPartsDept
04-04-13, 12:51 PM
Just got a new ATS, how can I tell if CUE has been updated. The dealer said yes, but I still would like to check it out.also, you can run your VIN at any dealership and have them check for open campaigns and recalls and if it hasn't been done it will show up highlighted and listed as "open"

if you want to email me your vin I can email you back the pdf

CDN XTS
04-06-13, 10:00 PM
Easiest way is to look at your icon for climate. If it is a snowflake than you are updated. That's only correct if you had an older model. Mine (Platinum built Jan 10/2013) had the snowflake for the climate control already before this big CUE update. To really confirm the update, and I am quoting this from the Cue update Document given to the dealers - "....from the Home Page, press Settings >Software Information and check the current software part number. If the part number is 23150273 for Navigation vehicles or 23150271 for non-navigation vehicles, the update was successful." That document also states that the update is for the ATS, SRS and XTS, hence no difference as to software part number.

vi2k13
04-07-13, 06:39 PM
I thought one of the fixes of this update was to improve music indexing/caching etc but my SRX does not seem so.

When I start the vehicle, it takes about 30 seconds to play the song that was on in the previous ignition cycle. Even more annoying is that it does not play the song continuously - pauses 10-15 seconds after playing a small part and then pauses again. This pattern goes on for about 3-4 times before the normaly playing resumes.

Does anyone else have this issue. My SRX came with the March update from factory with Software/Gracenote/Map versions 23150273/22993544/23152950 respectively. Any tips or thought? Thanks!

RippyPartsDept
04-07-13, 08:07 PM
I would suggest that you call the cue hotline 855-4CUE-NOW

They might be able to help you out.

slepr
04-07-13, 08:30 PM
I thought one of the fixes of this update was to improve music indexing/caching etc but my SRX does not seem so.

When I start the vehicle, it takes about 30 seconds to play the song that was on in the previous ignition cycle. Even more annoying is that it does not play the song continuously - pauses 10-15 seconds after playing a small part and then pauses again. This pattern goes on for about 3-4 times before the normaly playing resumes.

Does anyone else have this issue. My SRX came with the March update from factory with Software/Gracenote/Map versions 23150273/22993544/23152950 respectively. Any tips or thought? Thanks!

I have had just the opposite effect after the update. The song that was playing prior to shutdown begins playing within 2 - 3 seconds without interruptions. Also, since the update the shuffle play has remained on without having to repeatedly turn it back on from one ignition cycle to the next.

vi2k13
04-07-13, 09:26 PM
I would suggest that you call the cue hotline 855-4CUE-NOW

They might be able to help you out.

Thanks! Will do that.

I have had just the opposite effect after the update. The song that was playing prior to shutdown begins playing within 2 - 3 seconds without interruptions. Also, since the update the shuffle play has remained on without having to repeatedly turn it back on from one ignition cycle to the next.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know it's working for you . In my case, I have no experience with pre-update CUE.

CDN XTS
04-07-13, 11:24 PM
As to various comments under "Music play delay/pause at startup", I have noted the following - pre- and post update: shuffle play always stayed on, except if I had removed the SD card for whatever reason. Then shuffle was off and I had to turn it on again. Also recently after various changes to the SD card, additional songs, changed playlists, CUE was trying to use the previously indexed info (as it always does while creating a new index - voice control of music doesn't work while still indexing but manual selection works. This time I didn't touch anything knowing I had made material changes to the SD card). CUE certainly seemed quite confused. Screen went quite fast from song to song without music and stalled as well - stopped on a song but no music. There was even some noise in CUE - don't know what kind of hard drive is in there but it sounded like a hard drive was stuttering. But after a while music started even so indexing wasn't fully finished. Once indexing was finished all was fine. Now starting the car it takes 15 to 30 seconds and music starts to play where it left off. Not sure how well if remembers songs played while in shuffle mode, as when re-starting car, it does sometimes play a song which it played some 5 to 15 songs back at the last run of the car, so perhaps it starts fresh with each start of the engine.

vi2k13
04-08-13, 09:26 AM
As to various comments under "Music play delay/pause at startup", I have noted the following - pre- and post update: shuffle play always stayed on, except if I had removed the SD card for whatever reason. Then shuffle was off and I had to turn it on again. Also recently after various changes to the SD card, additional songs, changed playlists, CUE was trying to use the previously indexed info (as it always does while creating a new index - voice control of music doesn't work while still indexing but manual selection works. This time I didn't touch anything knowing I had made material changes to the SD card). CUE certainly seemed quite confused. Screen went quite fast from song to song without music and stalled as well - stopped on a song but no music. There was even some noise in CUE - don't know what kind of hard drive is in there but it sounded like a hard drive was stuttering. But after a while music started even so indexing wasn't fully finished. Once indexing was finished all was fine. Now starting the car it takes 15 to 30 seconds and music starts to play where it left off. Not sure how well if remembers songs played while in shuffle mode, as when re-starting car, it does sometimes play a song which it played some 5 to 15 songs back at the last run of the car, so perhaps it starts fresh with each start of the engine.

In my case, I have not removed the SD card since it was inserted a week ago so the contents have remained unchanged. That should be more than sufficient for indexing. Also, I have not used the shuffle feature - just playing the songs sequentially in a playlist or by artist.

Planning to call the CUE Hotline this evening and will report back with what they have to say.

inspectorudy
04-08-13, 09:47 AM
I would like for the CUE team to come up with a generic list of words that CUTie understands to help cut to the chase without having to try thirty words or more to get a usable response. I can finally get a usable response but I cannot remember the exact word I used several weeks later. Just recently I was approaching the Atlanta airport at about 10:30 pm to pick up my daughter when the low fuel light in my SRX came on. The airport area is devoid of any gas stations and the area around it is very dangerous at night.I needed to know which way to go and which road to take for the shortest distance. I tried "Gas station", "Fuel" and eventually got the list on the center screen to choose from. But the point is that I didn't have a clue which one would be the right one to get CUE to respond with an answer. I know all of you have had similar experiences and since CUE does not "Learn" any commands then it would be helpful if we had a list of CUE words, such as "Gas", "Food", etc that would trigger a usable response in a short amount of time. I truly want the CUE system vocal to work for my wife and me but just cannot seem to be able to get it to work consistently. Maybe we are not doing it correctly? My wife tried the "Call XXXXX" command but got the "Pardon" response over and over again. I told her to say "Contacts" first but that was of no use to her after the fact. There has to be a protocol for this thing somewhere. Any ideas?

RippyPartsDept
04-08-13, 11:23 AM
rudy,

that's a good question for the CUE team ... I know the system is supposed to be 'natural language' but it would be interesting if there were a few known commands or at least a grammar structure to know

CDN XTS
04-08-13, 12:41 PM
In my case, I have not removed the SD card since it was inserted a week ago so the contents have remained unchanged. That should be more than sufficient for indexing. Also, I have not used the shuffle feature - just playing the songs sequentially in a playlist or by artist.

Planning to call the CUE Hotline this evening and will report back with what they have to say. The way I understand the indexing is working, that every time you start the car, it re-indexes but it can work from the previous indexed info pending completion of the new index except for voice control. Where I am not clear on is will it keep a partially indexed info or will that be deleted if the car is shut down prior to having completed the indexing. I would consider a partial index to be of little help. And as mentioned before, if there was a major change to the data, using the previous index would certainly be rather confusing for CUE to immediately work properly. But there ought for be a way for CUE to be able to only start a new indexing job if there was indeed a change to the data. I am not a programmer or IT expert, far from it, but I understand there are ways and means to confirm such rather fast. And it would also be nice, it CUE then told the user that it was re-indexing and tell the uses when that task was finished, so if one shuts of the car prior to it one would not be surprised it CUE would again provide the message that it was re-indexing when re-starting the car. You may wish to also read my (rather poorly formatted and long) post at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/286639-audio-playlists-artwork-issues-feedback-solutions.html I have advised one of the CUE engineers of that post and he said he will have a look at it and submit it to the group working on Audio.

codeman71
04-08-13, 03:10 PM
The question I asked earlier was how to end a route besides by voice. My car doesn't have an "end-route" "button" on the screen that I can find, unlike my previous system on the CTS-V. Apparently, original CUE has it. Has anyone with the update found it? Did it disappear with the update? I hope I'm just not blind, but it's driving me a little nuts, especially when I have arrived at my destination and it doesn't think so.

Hi Mark, the cancel option did not change with the update. You have two ways to cancel the route. The main way is by pressing the Menu button on the touchscreen while in Navigation and it is the first option in the menu. Once you tap that, it will switch over to Resume in case you accidentally canceled or you simply wanted to pause the guidance. If you tap Resume, it'll start the route back up to your last destination.

The second way is using the steering wheel controls. Use the up/down toggle to get into the navigation application, press in the Select button, and then the first option there is to cancel the route. Same as with the touchscreen, you can resume your last destination as well. You can also turn the voice prompts on and off from both of these locations.

Hope that helps!

----------

I would like for the CUE team to come up with a generic list of words that CUTie understands to help cut to the chase without having to try thirty words or more to get a usable response. I can finally get a usable response but I cannot remember the exact word I used several weeks later. Just recently I was approaching the Atlanta airport at about 10:30 pm to pick up my daughter when the low fuel light in my SRX came on. The airport area is devoid of any gas stations and the area around it is very dangerous at night.I needed to know which way to go and which road to take for the shortest distance. I tried "Gas station", "Fuel" and eventually got the list on the center screen to choose from. But the point is that I didn't have a clue which one would be the right one to get CUE to respond with an answer. I know all of you have had similar experiences and since CUE does not "Learn" any commands then it would be helpful if we had a list of CUE words, such as "Gas", "Food", etc that would trigger a usable response in a short amount of time. I truly want the CUE system vocal to work for my wife and me but just cannot seem to be able to get it to work consistently. Maybe we are not doing it correctly? My wife tried the "Call XXXXX" command but got the "Pardon" response over and over again. I told her to say "Contacts" first but that was of no use to her after the fact. There has to be a protocol for this thing somewhere. Any ideas?

Hi Rudy, I believe your CUE manual should have a set of commands that work with the system. I just took a look at it again to make sure and it has those shortcut commands listed around pages 83-87. So, at a high level, you can use natural language for Audio and Phone commands. "Call XXXXX" should work right off the bat without problems, but if your phone is not paired or you are saying maybe the first name for a person that has both a first and last name in your phonebook, then it might run into difficulty. For example, if you have John Smith in your phonebook and you just say "Call John" it will try to match only John and may match it to another name that sounds similar to John. The other thing to check out is if your phone contacts are being downloaded into CUE. When you wife is in the vehicle and her phone is paired, check the phone application on the touchscreen to make sure her contacts are loaded. My Android phone, for example, requires me to authorize my contacts to be transferred to the car, and if I don't do this, then none of those names will be transferred, and voice recognition won't be able to understand me.

Now, for the navigation commands you were looking for, "Places of Interest" or "P O I" would work to get you to the menu where you can then say Gas Station or Fuel - either will work.

As a tip to help you, the display in your gauge cluster will give you commands that you can say when you might be confused about what to say. For example when you first start speech recognition, you can say an audio or phone command, or if you'd like more help on what you can do, you can just say Phone Commands, or Audio Commands, or Navigation Commands. She will then take you to the next screen where you will get an additional list of commands that you can say. So, while you are learning the system, this is a very good way to get familiar with the commands that you can say. Then, once you have those commands memorized, you can start saying them right away when you get into speaking with her, rather than doing the step-by-step approach. But, giving the CUE manual a read-through, particularly the voice recognition section, would probably also help to understand what the things are that you can say and then when you are in the car it will probably be easier to remember them again.

inspectorudy
04-08-13, 07:34 PM
Thanks Codeman, I am like most people in that once I get to where I can operate the basic system I forget about the manual. My wife was asking if there was a list she could postit on the DIC that had the commands for her to initiate the conversation. I'll try to make her a list from the manual tonight. I did not ask her about her Iphone contact list to see if it had transferred to CUE or not. I will bring that up as well. Others have mentioned the big screen not going back to the last used mode after a phone call. Mine does go back if I received the call but not if I made the call.

vi2k13
04-08-13, 07:52 PM

Planning to call the CUE Hotline this evening and will report back with what they have to say.

The way I understand the indexing is working, that every time you start the car, it re-indexes but it can work from the previous indexed info pending completion of the new index except for voice control. Where I am not clear on is will it keep a partially indexed info or will that be deleted if the car is shut down prior to having completed the indexing. I would consider a partial index to be of little help. And as mentioned before, if there was a major change to the data, using the previous index would certainly be rather confusing for CUE to immediately work properly. But there ought for be a way for CUE to be able to only start a new indexing job if there was indeed a change to the data. I am not a programmer or IT expert, far from it, but I understand there are ways and means to confirm such rather fast. And it would also be nice, it CUE then told the user that it was re-indexing and tell the uses when that task was finished, so if one shuts of the car prior to it one would not be surprised it CUE would again provide the message that it was re-indexing when re-starting the car. You may wish to also read my (rather poorly formatted and long) post at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/286639-audio-playlists-artwork-issues-feedback-solutions.html I have advised one of the CUE engineers of that post and he said he will have a look at it and submit it to the group working on Audio.

CDN XTS, yes, I had read your other post and some others. Thanks for taking the time and effort to note down all those details.

BTW, I called the CUE Hotline. I was told it was for US customers only. Us Canucks are SOL!:crying: The CUE agent offered to transfer me to Cadillac Canada CC but I said will call them later. I don't have much hope there.

CDN XTS
04-08-13, 11:04 PM
CDN XTS, yes, I had read your other post and some others. Thanks for taking the time and effort to note down all those details.

BTW, I called the CUE Hotline. I was told it was for US customers only. Us Canucks are SOL!:crying: The CUE agent offered to transfer me to Cadillac Canada CC but I said will call them later. I don't have much hope there. My pleasure in providing that info. Having read so many questions about that and running into difficulty myself I did a lot of testing and so it was just putting the results on paper to assist others (both US and CDN users) My thanks also to Jeffpaletz who helped me with the playlist aspect. - Having difficulty now in using the formatting tools on this website, I even prepared it all nicely formatted in my word processing software, but the transfer did not work as I had hoped and much was lost. LOL. Just tried again to start a new paragraph. No joy!. Anyway how true about us Canucks being SOL. From my experience there is little knowledge on the Canadian site and most of the time I seem to know more than they do. Even the manuals on the Canadian site are (at lest were - haven't checked lately) outdated, yet since they are identical for US and CAN why not just a link to the US side for the English versions? But then we do not only NOT get an iPad the Canadian site didn't even have that very good iPad CUE "teaching" app on it's site. But for the US site to simply ignore us, given we have the same system and comments, suggestions for improvement, is very poor. The implied duplication of effort doesn't seem to be very cost efficient either. But it seems to be a higher level policy rule as Katie for once also simply refered me to the Canadian site, even though my comments were totally generic and applicable to the US just as well. At least codeman71 doesn't ignore us and is very helpful. Thanks Cody.

vi2k13
04-09-13, 09:39 AM
My pleasure in providing that info. Having read so many questions about that and running into difficulty myself I did a lot of testing and so it was just putting the results on paper to assist others (both US and CDN users) My thanks also to Jeffpaletz who helped me with the playlist aspect. - Having difficulty now in using the formatting tools on this website, I even prepared it all nicely formatted in my word processing software, but the transfer did not work as I had hoped and much was lost. LOL. Just tried again to start a new paragraph. No joy!. Anyway how true about us Canucks being SOL. From my experience there is little knowledge on the Canadian site and most of the time I seem to know more than they do. Even the manuals on the Canadian site are (at lest were - haven't checked lately) outdated, yet since they are identical for US and CAN why not just a link to the US side for the English versions? But then we do not only NOT get an iPad the Canadian site didn't even have that very good iPad CUE "teaching" app on it's site. But for the US site to simply ignore us, given we have the same system and comments, suggestions for improvement, is very poor. The implied duplication of effort doesn't seem to be very cost efficient either. But it seems to be a higher level policy rule as Katie for once also simply refered me to the Canadian site, even though my comments were totally generic and applicable to the US just as well. At least codeman71 doesn't ignore us and is very helpful. Thanks Cody.

My experience is this is generally the treatment we receive from most manufacturers - not just auto or GM. I guess we can thank our federal and provincial governments for that.

OK, 'nuff about politics... We have had our SRX for a week and half and we love this car overall so far. But I am not too impressed with CUE. It's buggy and the UI in some cases is counter intuitive. The positive is GM has provided an update and I hope they will continue to improve.

Again, yours and all others' efforts and very informative posts here are very much appreciated.:2thumbs:

CDN XTS
04-09-13, 07:09 PM
@ vi2k13. I hope they will make further improvements. BTW. Today while in Hamilton I run into a problem with voice control. Wouldn't come on while driving on the highway, no matter how often I pressed the button. Used the other button for OnStar to bounce this of them. They called in a expert who then said he couldn't help as I was a Canadian. He said he would transfer but some 10 minutes later the call ended. I tried again stating at the outset I needed to talk to a Canadian expert. Took a while to transfer. After explaining that the voice control button on the steering wheel didn't work, I was put on hold for about 10 minutes. By that time I had pulled over to the side and shut off the car, to be able to concentrate on the problem. Then I was asked if I had the manual, Yes, I said and I was referred to the page which outlined the button on the ceiling for calling OnStar. Said I used that to talk to you and after all we are talking, no problem with that button at all. I then gave up, thanked him and told him I would see the dealership which by that time was only some 10 km from where I was. Went there, and they were very concerned (as was I, given I had that problem with my STS, which they well remembered, where the button would only work intermittently. They replaced everything, button, board, even the total unit, took the steering wheel apart, you name it, a few parts replaced twice. Had even left the car for three weeks with the Manager of the special outfit looking after such repairs while I was on holidays. He certainly confirmed the problem and had even discussed it at length with the designers of the system. Cadillac eventually gave up on it - not repairable and I lived with that. Well, after getting to the dealer to-day for making an appointment with those who look after CUE issues, I though, that this time I actually left the car, perhaps restarting it (tried that when on the highway, but I hadn't actually left the car) would fix it. It didn't initially but after 2 minutes, it finally worked again. So I'm keeping my eye on it. If I run into the same problem as with my STS and it can't be fixed, this time the car goes back.

inspectorudy
04-10-13, 10:23 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can only imagine that your STS was out of warranty otherwise I would imagine that you would have demanded that it be fixed. This is another reason to buy extended insurance on these highly automated and computer controlled cars. I would urge all of you who plan on keeping your Cadillac beyond the warranty period to look into the factory warranty program. I simply cannot understand how any man made product would be unfixable.

vi2k13
04-10-13, 11:40 AM
@ vi2k13. So I'm keeping my eye on it. If I run into the same problem as with my STS and it can't be fixed, this time the car goes back.

CDN XTS, so sorry to hear about your troubles with STS and hope the XTS will prove to be a lot better vehicle for you. Good luck!

RippyPartsDept
04-10-13, 12:32 PM
we have replaced a couple XTS steering wheels due to a short in the wiring in the steering wheel causing problems with the steering wheel controls

there is a bulletin out there regarding this issue

CDN XTS
04-10-13, 12:54 PM
@ inspectorudy & v12k13 Yes the 2003 STS was something else, I liked that car, but when starting the car Voice Control would either engage always until shutting off the car, or it would never engage until shutoff. About a 50/50 chance. This was from the beginning and I did had extended warranties. Trying to correct it went on for a couple of years and must have cost thousands. I kept pointing at the ignition saying starting the car either initialized the voice control or not when turning the key, but was told by various expert (including the second hand feedback from the "developers" that could not be the problem, well the did take the Steering column apart once. Apparently, mine was the only car which had that problem. And yes, Rudy, I agree with you any manmade product should be fixable. Cadillac eventually offered an unspecified discount to buy a newer model. Never could nail them down on the discount issue and given the big drop in re-sale value and since I otherwise loved that car, I finally took the other offer of one year free OnStar, rather than starting a legal argument. As to my XTS, I just hope this isn't a repeat situation. (Here of course a full shutoff requires getting out of the car - after which it worked again - like the STS by just shutting down the engine). However, on the XTS I assume, its software controllable, rather that firmware and whatever else in the STS. Dealer, remembering fully my STS problem, phoned me this morning saying the "expert" was in and they discussed it. Apparently it's a known software glitch and I took it in and they did a software update - have no info as to that specific update, nor did a receive any papers. All I can do is keep an eye on it and if it turns out to be an intermittent problem like with my STS, this time I would not be willing to be so generous and just take a year of free OnStar service. Chris feedback may be another source of my problem and I'll keep that in mind. Would like to here from others if that have noted this problem, given the comment the expert made to the dealer as being software related. Well I keep on the positive side and hope I never see the problem again. My wife says, it must be my German accent, so rather than haven to answer with lots of "pardon" voice control shuts down totally, no matter what car I drive. Ha, ha, ha.

caddyshac
04-12-13, 01:18 PM
Just got the update and my srx always go to postion 1. No matter which rke I use.

Rich B
04-14-13, 10:47 AM
I have had my ATS for 2 months. It is my 19th new car and it is already one of my all time favorites. . Just had the CUE update and that has fixed most of the quirks in the system but the are a few things I would like to see Cadillac improve on.

1. Navigation: I would like to see a screen option for a white background as well as the black.

2. Weather advisories: I would like to see a "dismiss all" button. Yesterday I had 12 advisories pop up at one time each reading the same except for the county or city name.

3. I would like to see an appointment calendar app that would link to my smart phone or ipad with an option to tap on the appointments location and have it go to navigation.

There is one glitch in the navigation system that needs to be fixed. When you program in a destination that is close to an interstate highway that requires you to drive past the destination to get to the nearest exit and backtrack CUE thinks that you have arrived at your destination when you pass it on the highway.

vi2k13
04-15-13, 10:11 AM

After some experimenting, I now beleive the capacity and possibly the speed class of the SD card matters.

The card I had issues was a 32GB Class 10 and had about 8GB of music files. I then tried an old 1GB Calss 2 card filled to capacity and it worked without issues. I tried another 32GB Clas 10 card and it too had the same problem as the first one. It seems to be taking forever to build the index. I am not sure if a 16GB or 8GB library will work but ceratinly a 1GB is way too small for me at least.

If this is in fact the case, the idea of having an entire music library on an SD card will not work for CUE. Not very impressed.

RippyPartsDept
04-15-13, 12:55 PM
why bother with the SD cards in the first place?
USB seems like the way to go
it's faster and more devices support it

Hoosier Daddy
04-15-13, 06:41 PM
I greatly prefer SD over USB. SD is small and does not protrude into surrounding space. It doesn't matter to me how many devices support it. I don't plan to move it from device to device.

RippyPartsDept
04-15-13, 07:01 PM

That's a 16gb USB drive I got on amazon for $20. Sandisk Cruzer Fit - the 32gb is about $20 now.

http://goo.gl/X760Y
Check em out

vi2k13
04-15-13, 08:46 PM
I greatly prefer SD over USB. SD is small and does not protrude into surrounding space. It doesn't matter to me how many devices support it. I don't plan to move it from device to device.

My points exactly. Thanks!

How do you know USB flash drives work faster than SD cards on CUE? Have you run any comparative tests? Both are flash memory based USB Mass Storage devices using the same interface, and they support the exact same file systems. Based on my findings flash memory speed doesn't matter on CUE. In fact the slower memory card worked better. What I discovered was CUE struggles with music libraries large in size and number of songs. In my case 700+ songs and ~8GB of files.

That's a 16gb USB drive I got on amazon for $20. Sandisk Cruzer Fit - the 32gb is about $20 now.

http://goo.gl/X760Y
Check em out

It still protrudes. Even if speed mattered it is slower than a Class 10 SD card and many times slower than a UHS-I card.

RippyPartsDept
04-15-13, 09:20 PM
USB 2.0 is faster than class 10 sd

Look it up

---

Speed really isn't the issue though.

Just wanted to make sure that y'all knew that there are USB sticks out there that barely stick out.

---

Plus just about everything has USB (though sd slots are becoming more common)

Chris Shillinger
04-16-13, 01:52 PM
Thanks very much for this helpful piece of info, Chris! I have been looking for it here but couldn't find any such posts. You certainly didn't confuse me but I wish you had posted this before I took the car to the dealer this morning. I too thought the fobs were pre-programmed as 1 & 2 based on what I had observed but nobody at the dealer could confirm it. Now I know for sure.

Also, I figured for the SRX at least, you have to press and hold both MEM button and the memory number button together until the beep for storing the positions.

You are very welcome. Some vehicles w/ update change from holding MEM buttons together to just tapping "SET" and then holding the number -"1" or "2" - rather than holding them both together.

flycaster
04-25-13, 08:23 AM
Can't read all the posts, so I'll just put in my pet peeve. What was Caddy thinking of when they removed Driver Personalization with the recent CUE update? Now only one driver can set their seat to automatically position itself when the driver either enters the car or when they start the ignition. The other driver will need to hold their seat button until the seat fully moves into their desired position. No more automatic movement for the other driver. Why is the second driver being dissed? What a blunder on Caddy's part. Hope folks will note this and complain so that Caddy will put this very important function back into CUE.

RippyPartsDept
04-25-13, 08:44 AM
I would call the CUE hotline and log your concerns ... 855-4CUE-NOW

they might have a solution for you and if not at least they will log your complaint
(i have a feeling they'll have a solution for you)

Chris Shillinger
04-25-13, 08:44 AM
flycaster: refer to posts #52 and #55 in this thread.

flycaster
04-25-13, 11:37 AM

Hi Chris, I looked at your #52 post and have some questions.

1. You have the seat set all the way back on #2 while exiting the car. Then you say when unlocking the car, if the seat moves back... If the seat is all the way back on exiting, how can it move further back when re-entering?

2. Also, I have my Vehicle set to move seats into position when the door is opened (don't prefer seats moving with ignition), will you test still work under this configuration.

3. And lastly, assuming you've had the CUE update, have you been able to set two seats to position automatically when either the door is opened or when the ignition is turned on? This is the goal I'm trying to achieve, although I think it won't happen after the removal of Driver Personalization from CUE.

flycaster
04-25-13, 11:37 AM
Sorry for the double post. Don't know how it happened. Would like to remove this duplication, but can't see how.

Hi Chris, I looked at your #52 post and have some questions.

1. You have the seat set all the way back on #2 while exiting the car. Then you say when unlocking the car, if the seat moves back... If the seat is all the way back on exiting, how can it move further back when re-entering?

2. Also, I have my Vehicle set to move seats into position when the door is opened (don't prefer seats moving with ignition), will you test still work under this configuration.

3. And lastly, assuming you've had the CUE update, have you been able to set two seats to position automatically when either the door is opened or when the ignition is turned on? This is the goal I'm trying to achieve, although I think it won't happen after the removal of Driver Personalization from CUE.

Chris Shillinger
04-25-13, 12:42 PM
Let me try and clarify it a little better.

(Post-Update)
Sit in the driver seat and start the vehicle. Look at the touchscreen. From the Home Page. Choose Settings. Scroll to Vehicle Settings. Select Comfort and Convenience. Select Auto Memory Recall. Choose your selection of Door Open or Ignition On. For my example I will choose ignition on. Then, move the driver seat all the way forward and save it as #1. Move the seat all the way back and save it as #2. Move the seat forward to somehwere in the middle. Shut the car off. Open the driver door. Get out and lock the doors with your remote. Unlock the door with your remote. Start the vehicle. If the seat moves forward, you are using key #1. If the seat moves back, you are using key #2.

Now, save your seat/steering wheel/mirrors (depending on model and package) to the whichever #key you have.

If you have the seats set to recall on door open, then your seat would move when you open the door.
IMHO, this would defeat the purpose of easy exit options because the seat would move before ever getting in the car.
You can program seats at any time (assuming your battery is not dead).

I suggest calling the CUE hotline for help. They really are helpful. Best of Luck!

flycaster
04-25-13, 01:17 PM
Thanks. Yeah, the part about moving the seat to a middle position before exiting, was missing. Also, as for obviating the Exit option, in my case that is not a problem. My drive position is equivalent to my exit position. I did speak to CUE a few days ago, and to my chagrin, I learned that only one seat button can be automatically programmed post up-date. That's why I asked if after you sorted out the 1 and 2 fobs, could you now program both seats to automatically respond to fobs' 1 and 2 enter positions when entering, or in your case, when the ignition was turned on.

Chris Shillinger
04-25-13, 03:11 PM
Now I fully understand. That is a good question. Since you have an ATS, I am going to try it out for myself and find out. Check back later today for an answer.

Okay, I tried this is an SRX and it did not remember both positions. BUT, I used an ATS Luxury Manual 2.0T and it did work. I set memory position #1 all the way forward, and memory position #2 all the way back. I unlocked and started the vehicle with key #2 and the seat moved back to position #2. I then turned the vehicle off, exited and locked the vehicle. Unlocked the vehicle and started it with key #1 and the seat moved all the way forward to position #1. I call this myth BUSTED! Your ATS if equipped equally, which it should be close since they are both Luxury Collection, should be able to recognize which key is used to enter and start the vehicle. I wonder if the SRX did not recognize this because it does not have the easy exit option. Just a thought.

flycaster
04-25-13, 06:08 PM
Here's my CUE's version #23150273. The "myth" may not have been busted yet as I have heard that the SRX has not been associated with this problem. Try it on an updated ATS. BTW, my workaround, does work.

flycaster
04-30-13, 08:17 AM
First time I spoke to CUE about this, I was told that after the update, only one seat could be set automatically. However, this was only partially true, as I learned after speaking to CUE a second time. After updating CUE the techs are supposed to reset the seat module. Obviously, those of us who don't have two automatic seats after the update, never had a tech complete the job. CUE called my dealer, told them the problem, the fix, and made an appointment to have the seats automated. There is a Tech Bulletin describing the issue and the fix. Its title goes something like this: "Seat memory (can't read my writing) module reprogram service update supplement for the ATS, only," and should be available to the dealers.

Chris Shillinger
04-30-13, 03:15 PM
Ah okay. I knew something wasn't right. I was following your posts on the ATS Thread about it and kept checking different vehicles on the lot (I work for a dealership). All of the ATS and XTS here that I tested worked properly post-update. Did you get your DP back?

flycaster
04-30-13, 05:52 PM
... Did you get your DP back?

Don't know. What's DP?

Chris Shillinger
05-01-13, 09:15 AM
Driver Personalization

flycaster
05-01-13, 03:08 PM
Hopefully, it (DP - Duh) will be restored Friday morning. I'll post results.

Chris Shillinger
05-01-13, 04:33 PM
Good Luck. I enjoy getting on here and listening to concerns and finding new features and answers to problems. I work at a dealership and my main job is teaching/troubleshooting CUE. So I get tons of useful information here as well as add my two cents. Let me know if everything is fixed.

Linda in JAX
08-01-13, 04:12 PM
That's only correct if you had an older model. Mine (Platinum built Jan 10/2013) had the snowflake for the climate control already before this big CUE update. To really confirm the update, and I am quoting this from the Cue update Document given to the dealers - "....from the Home Page, press Settings >Software Information and check the current software part number. If the part number is 23150273 for Navigation vehicles or 23150271 for non-navigation vehicles, the update was successful." That document also states that the update is for the ATS, SRS and XTS, hence no difference as to software part number.

Jeez, I had to weed thru a lot of posts to finally find this post which was exactly the information I was looking for. Of course, it is information from April and now it is August.

Does anyone know of any more recent versions for CUE software?

bungee91
08-04-13, 11:04 PM
Jeez, I had to weed thru a lot of posts to finally find this post which was exactly the information I was looking for. Of course, it is information from April and now it is August.

Or you read the FIRST post to this thread that clearly states

"ATS Current version #'s for reference (from my car at least, with all known updates)
Software Version: 23150273
Gracenote: 22993544
Map: 22993553"

However CUE is still garbage (I'm entitled to my opinion) and I'd yank it from the dash if it wasn't so integrated into the car.

34Hunter
01-25-14, 11:44 AM
Of course there is a learning curve for using various CUE functions. But those aside, the nav system software is clumsy&if you are close to the destination you seek, better use your hand held because there are so many steps, you will be passed your intended destination prior to getting needed info. Using the voice prompts is just a joke. The system does not understand much and has very few points of interest. Then, even with a close point of interest, if you don't have the name of the municipality, you won't be getting anything from this. Same for finding an intersection. If it is rural and you don't know what city,township,municipality it is in-forget it because you will not get info. We defer to Garmin handheld continually because of this very poor operating system. Our new (2013)SRX has been given the update according to both dealer and Cadillac. I really like this SRX, its my 2nd one, but I'm embarrassed for Cadillac putting out such a shoddy product. I will only buy an American marque and really hate to leave all I like about the SRX but this very poorly designed system has me disturbed.

NJRonbo
01-25-14, 12:06 PM
I really like this SRX, its my 2nd one, but I'm embarrassed for Cadillac putting out such a shoddy product.

That's the main complaint. CUE should never have been introduced into the Cadillac brand until it was fully tested.

georule
01-25-14, 09:32 PM
Dunno if I'm just doing it wrong, but my phone (Android 4.1) has an option to pick which groups of contacts to display, but CUE doesn't honor the choice and I can't find a way to tell it to do so.

For instance, I've got 20 or so "real" contacts stored on the phone that I entered, and the Facebook app imported a couple hundred more from my Facebook friends list. Now, some of those people I might want to call some time, but I really don't need to see them in my contacts list all the time. The phone lets me chose to not see them until/unless I need to do so. CUE, however, imports *all* of my contacts.

inspectorudy
01-26-14, 12:25 AM
I hear all of the complaints about CUE not playing/displaying all of the hundreds of contacts or songs that the owners have but to me that is secondary to the basic failure of the CUE system itself. I have given up completely on the voice commands and the NAV is so slow and ponderous in a large city if any correction or change is made that it is almost useless. I have grown accustomed to the center stack and no longer hate it but accept is as a slower cousin requiring extra attention to accomplish what other makes can do in one stroke or setting. For instance I just saw a Lexus commercial where the temp control is a round knob with the temp desired is a digital readout in the center of the knob. One turn and the temp is set. No looking and holding a virtual button for twenty seconds and then having to re-touch it after an overshoot to get the desired temp.I appreciate the favorites menu and have learned to bring up my favorites with only two or three attempts. I appreciate that I can blend favorites from many different sources on the same page unlike some other units. But this thing is not up to Cadillac standards and I figure it will be greatly modified in the near future and we will not be a part of that change. I expect that it will be a software and a hardware mod that will not be compatible with our models. I still love my SRX but can only wonder what it would be like with another system in the place of CUE.

Russianhaxor
01-26-14, 03:39 PM
For me, the voice stuff actually works about 90% of the time. The real problem is the laggy touch control and the lack of apps... Pandora is kind of dated now, give me Spotify!

34Hunter
01-29-14, 07:55 AM
Even though I have checked with dealer on my CUE update and found it came with the update, I still have not shown the poorly operating system, especially the voice operations to a Cadillac CUE technician. Perhaps some tuning could be part of the problem. But, the whole nav system software is old, like you would buy in a 49 dollar handheld 7 or 8 yrs ago. And a system designed so that the drive must get very involved in heating, air, navigation is unsafe. It is not just me, the "big" car mags like Motor Trend and Car&Driver both question the safe operation of vehicles with CUE. I wonder if there will be lawsuits that will ultimately drop the value of CUE equipped vehicles. This could be a disaster for Cadillac and I hope they are secretly addressing this. I like the Cadillac brand and my new SRX aside from this. A few years ago I decided, no more Audis&Lexus I want to support car mfg in USA. This has been a bit painful. So, I hope Cadillac comes to their senses on this issue.

One more note-any contacts I have had on-line with Cadillac have simple been "did you get the update?" (mine came with it) "we are sorry for your inconvenience". This seems like pretty lame customer service. My hope is that they can't say yet what Cadillac is doing about the terrible CUE design because news would disrupt sales. It makes me uncomfortable to see CUE advertised as a plus!

NJRonbo
01-29-14, 08:08 AM
My hope is that they can't say yet what Cadillac is doing about the terrible CUE design because news would disrupt sales. It makes me uncomfortable to see CUE advertised as a plus!

I met with Cadillac engineers exactly a year ago over these problems.

They took lots of notes. Showed Interest. No improvements were made since other than a single update in February/March 2013 that was already in progress.

georule
01-29-14, 11:55 AM
There is another update after March 2013, I have it on my 2013 SRX (they put it on earlier this month because of issues with the Nav rebooting to see if it would help). Seems a little better tho I don't know if it addresses any of your specific issues. I can tell you that in my experience it seems a little more responsive, VR is more accurate, navigation scrolling/screen changes seem smoother, the nav search/entry screen seems less laggy, and I get fewer "device is initializing" messages.

But they haven't made it generally available for updates, let alone with a change log. I doubt it is easy to get them to update it, but if you whined enough to your dealer about your issues, perhaps they would put it on for you. Software version is 23427521 vs the March 2013 update which is 23150273.

23427521 also seems to be the version the MY 2014 models are being shipped with (a poster in this forum reported his new ATS that he took delivery on in December had that version of CUE on it).

NJRonbo
01-29-14, 01:36 PM
I have a oil change that is due.

I'll have them update CUE at that point.

However, unless it no longer re-indexes contacts and music with every entry/exit, I don't see any significant improvements coming.

34Hunter
02-01-14, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the numbers and info. It was only a few weeks ago that my vehicle number was run by the dealer and showed my car came with the latest software upgrade. But it sounds like there may be the "other version". My dealer service manager told me only one rep from each dealer is trained on actual CUE operations problems. I have not discussed any problems with him, only because he has not been around when I have been in for service. Thanks again for something to ask about.

FDNY-L107
02-08-14, 11:53 AM
As a long time GM customer, (over 30 GM vehicles), my ATS being my 2nd Cadillac, it is disappointing that GM has not stepped up more to assist customers on all these issues. My ATS has 26K miles in less than a year and all your issues reported here are spot on. This system has many inherent flaws as you all have described, but GM for the most part seems to be almost turning a blind eye. This ATS is a very well designed and fun car to drive, but it is clearly obvious that GM did not do a very good job of user acceptance testing on the CUE system. Let's hope the new CEO hears some of this and we start seeing much better support.

GM, are you listening to your customers here...??

NJRonbo
02-08-14, 12:36 PM
GM did listen to my concerns....but then again, I raised a lot of noise across the Internet very early on when the system was first being introduced into vehicles.

Their executive team came to my dealership. They saw the problems first-hand that I was having with my Android phone interacting with their system.

They sat in my vehicle for a good hour and took lots of notes.

For that, I am very grateful to GM.

However...

In the year that has passed since, I have not seen any improvements in this system. I will say this over and over again until I am blue in the face --- you cannot have a system that only temporarily stores phone contacts and songs and constantly has to reindex that information every time you enter and exit the vehicle.

What other vehicle system out there does such a thing? And why did CUE have to attempt to fix something that wasn't broke within the auto entertainment industry?

The CUE system has really brought down the Cadillac brand in my eyes. And, apparently, according to posts I continue to read here (and from my own experiences), there have been no major revisions made to improve upon all the initial problems that exist.

If you want action, I would suggest making a lot of noise like I did. Write letters to GM. Post your issues across several internet forums. Get the attention of GM.....

....and I don't say any of this to try and spite GM. They were pretty darn good to me in responding to my complaints. However, I am just rather surprised that a year later we are still dealing with these issues. Personally, when my lease is up next year, I am switching over to a Lincoln as I have had very good experiences with their Ford Sync technology when I have rented their vehicles while on vacation.

Hoosier Daddy
02-08-14, 01:06 PM
Their executive team came to my dealership. They saw the problems first-hand that I was having with my Android phone interacting with their system.

They sat in my vehicle for a good hour and took lots of notes.

For that, I am very grateful to GM.

However...

In the year that has passed since, I have not seen any improvements in this system.
I'm not understanding what you are grateful about. It sounds like all they did was make a bad situation worse by wasting your time.

inspectorudy
02-08-14, 03:07 PM
I know that I do not represent any type of threat to GM but after this SRX if they keep the CUE system I am through with them when it is time to buy again.

georule
02-08-14, 11:51 PM
NJRonbo-- Do I remember correctly reading somewhere you saying the CUE guys blamed Android Bluetooth support for some problems in your discussions with them? I was just reading about other companies biyatching about Android Bluetooth support today.

NJRonbo
02-09-14, 02:10 AM
Yes, they did blame Android for Bluetooth support problems.

I believe that to be true (and what you are reading seems to add support to that). I have since upgraded my phone from the Note 2 to the Note 3 and problems still persist.

I do feel this is mostly an Android issue. When they tested with an iPhone, there were no problems.

However, with all this in mind...

A good chunk of the blame still resides with CUE and the fact it has to re-index information every time you enter and exit the vehicle. If not for CUE doing something uniquely stupid that no other system does, this wouldn't even be an Android issue.

If this were Ford Sync or any other vehicle, there might be an initial delay getting hundreds of contacts and thousands of music choices uploaded to the vehicle. However, after all that is done on day one, the information would stay in the vehicle and always be immediately available for retrieval with no delay whatsoever.

georule
02-09-14, 09:16 AM
I'm sure I don't have to tell you there's nothing like the Note 3 in Apple-land. I'm hoping to hold off my next upgrade for the Note 4 this fall.

The big-name companies I was reading about yesterday were Nike (some health training gizmo that talks to your smartphone) and Kwikset (a house lock), but looking at an Android developers forum there were a ton of small-fry crying for improved Bluetooth support as well. Apparently 4.3 API 18 helped a little, but didn't go all the way. 4.4 reportedly adds Bluetooth MAP (message across profile) which would enable pushing text messages to the car to be read to you (if the car supports that).

exbagboy
02-10-14, 02:25 PM
Just found out the Buick GS has a g meter and we don't. That would also be a great addition, along with boost gauge app.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/sedans/1309_2014_buick_regal_first_drive/58651743/2014-Buick-Regal-GS-friction-bubble.jpg

pissedoffwookiee
02-10-14, 08:01 PM
Yes, they did blame Android for Bluetooth support problems.

I believe that to be true (and what you are reading seems to add support to that). I have since upgraded my phone from the Note 2 to the Note 3 and problems still persist.

I do feel this is mostly an Android issue. When they tested with an iPhone, there were no problems.

However, with all this in mind...

A good chunk of the blame still resides with CUE and the fact it has to re-index information every time you enter and exit the vehicle. If not for CUE doing something uniquely stupid that no other system does, this wouldn't even be an Android issue.

If this were Ford Sync or any other vehicle, there might be an initial delay getting hundreds of contacts and thousands of music choices uploaded to the vehicle. However, after all that is done on day one, the information would stay in the vehicle and always be immediately available for retrieval with no delay whatsoever.

I was having Bluetooth weirdness when i switched from iPhone 5 to Moto X but i installed an app called "bluetooth file transfer" from google play and it fixed it...i learned of this hunting for a solution for my bluetooth woes