: Back up camera options for a 2003 Escalade?

Fenway
03-03-13, 04:48 PM
I'm purchasing a 2003 Escalade this week. Is there any way to add a backup camera to the existing navigation system? I've done a little research, but I'm only finding info on newer models, not anything as old as the 2003.

If that can't be done, what would you suggest for other options?

6lbsofSound
03-03-13, 05:14 PM
Navtv has an interface for the gm nav unit that switches on in reverse. As for camera options there are a lot of choices.

cadillac 31
03-03-13, 05:18 PM
of course it could be done you just gotta find the right shop

Fenway
03-03-13, 05:22 PM
So I would buy the interface and a camera and it will work on the existing nav screen? everything I'm finding on navtv says not compatible with my vehicle. I've never done anything lie this with any of my cars, so I'm clueless as to where to start.

godsdiablo
03-03-13, 07:43 PM
Or you could buy a new rear view mirror with a screen and hook the camera up to that

the cadillac man
03-03-13, 08:10 PM
Or you could buy a new rear view mirror with a screen and hook the camera up to that

Not a good idea if you want to keep the onstar and auto dimming features

6lbsofSound
03-03-13, 09:12 PM
The link below shows the nav tv on a non touch screen nav.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/161812-how-navtv-nav-tool-video-interface.html

godsdiablo
03-04-13, 05:49 AM

Well they sell it with auto dimming and who really uses onstar nowadays

djais1801
03-04-13, 09:19 AM
You can buy an interface for onstar to hook up Bluetooth

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-04-13, 05:13 PM
Fenway, I know you're seeking DIY advice from other owners; so, I just wanted to let you know I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to pass along the Escalade's build sheet or investigate vehicle questions. It's fantastic that you're considering an Escalade!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Fenway
03-05-13, 03:28 AM
Fenway, I know you're seeking DIY advice from other owners; so, I just wanted to let you know I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to pass along the Escalade's build sheet or investigate vehicle questions. It's fantastic that you're considering an Escalade!

Best,

Katie

Thank you! I'm looking at an 05 today since the deal on the 03 fell through. I'll probably have a whole new set of questions.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-05-13, 10:28 AM
Thank you! I'm looking at an 05 today since the deal on the 03 fell through. I'll probably have a whole new set of questions.

Sorry to hear about the '03 deal, Fenway. But please do get in touch with me whenever you have any questions while you're shopping for your Escalade! I'm definitely happy to research any model year questions on your behalf.

Best,

Katie

Fenway
03-06-13, 08:26 AM
Okay, the 2003 became available again. Buying a car is exhausting!

Since the nav isn't touchscreen and I found the software kind of old and clunky, I think I'll buy the 03 and switch out the nav with a new one while adding a camera.

Is there a thread on aftermarket nav units for the older model Cadillacs?

the cadillac man
03-06-13, 12:51 PM
Okay, the 2003 became available again. Buying a car is exhausting!

Since the nav isn't touchscreen and I found the software kind of old and clunky, I think I'll buy the 03 and switch out the nav with a new one while adding a camera.

Is there a thread on aftermarket nav units for the older model Cadillacs?

Just swap it out for the touch screen version much better(I put one in my 03 as the touch screen version wasn't out till 05)

Fenway
03-06-13, 01:00 PM
Just swap it out for the touch screen version much better(I put one in my 03 as the touch screen version wasn't out till 05)

I don't really like the touchscreen one either. I played with one on an 05 yesterday. I think I can do an awesome kenwood navigated by Garmin, with Bluetooth, iPhone integration, pandora and a bunch of other extras, plus add a backup camera for about 1k.

godsdiablo
03-13-13, 07:35 AM
I don't really like the touchscreen one either. I played with one on an 05 yesterday. I think I can do an awesome kenwood navigated by Garmin, with Bluetooth, iPhone integration, pandora and a bunch of other extras, plus add a backup camera for about 1k.

Yeah the 05 one is nice but basic, an aftermarket one is the way to go but I would recommend pioneer and get the module to hook up the steering wheel controls

wesyder
03-13-13, 08:59 AM

There is a company that makes the onstar mirror auto dimming with the backup monitor like the late model gm's.... Mito-auto.com

Fenway
03-13-13, 10:14 AM
I'm seriously loving my 03 escalade. I picked it up Friday night, in the dark, in a nor'easter snowstorm and it drove wonderfully.

I added a Kenwood DNX6990HD stereo with GPS and all sorts of other goodies. I also added a backup camera, installed in the bumper, next to the trailer hitch. I had it wired so everything stock still works including the steering wheel controls and the onstar.

Buying the escalade was supposed to be a quick fix so I can have a third row until we're ready to spend more and buy something newer in a year or two. I already see myself wanting another one.