: 1999 STS fuel pump module installation

songbird
03-03-13, 11:09 AM
First please read the thread by N*Caddy in the forum...on the fuel pump removal and installation... he offers good advice of this process ... the only thing he forgot to mention was disconnecting the negitive battery cable for GP, saftey and resetting of engine light...other wise very good advice....
I took some pics of this removal.. this was my first time doing a fuel pump... easy access panel through trunk...
in case my captions did not work I'll shortly describe each pic... heck pictures not in squence.. sorry..

#1 after removing the acess panel... wow dusty and rusty...
#2 cleaned up the pump to see what I was dealing with...
#3 diconnect the wiring plugs (this is a process to release the gas pressure)
#4 take off beauty cover at engine comparment and release the pressure at the fuel valve.. it like a tire valve so you can stop and go... I used a screwdriver for the needle then rotated my rag a couple of times to soak it all up...theres more than I thought so be patience..after that disconnect your negative side of battery(under your back seat, passenger side) make sure its out of the way... and not touching any metal... turn key on to check for disconnection.. if ok turn key back off...
#5 old fuel pump after removal... my lock ring was rusted up pretty good... I used a chisel and rubber mallet... it wasn't bunging much so I sprayed WD40 to loosen the rust..in between soakings (let set for about 1/2 hr, I pounded some more.. after the fourth time it freed up...
#6 new fuel pump... you will have to use the black sensor and plastic lock tabs from the old one...I also reused the rubber gasket after inspecition... the new one was too big...this one did not come with new ones.. be careful not to break those tabs getting them off...they are for locking the fuels lines back in.. brittle.. small screwdriver and patience...
#7 Cleaned up the best I could do... wanted to grind and sand off rust but didn't want to push my luck, wanted to stick around for awhile... make sure you do not drop any debris in tank while working ...I used a old paint brush,rags and compressed air...I did clean up the ring itslef with wire brush.. added small amount of vasaline to the bottom of ring for easier installation...
#8 before installing new pump...
#9 new pump installed.. had to cut and connect wires to new connection plug... wasn't all bad.. just make sure you got a good connection before crimping, double check to see if wire could pull out... don't muscle it just a little pull..then I used electrical tape around the new wiring...wanted to use shrink insulation around the new wiring but like I said.. didn not want to push my luck....think safe...:bonkers::bonkers:
#10 after all this is done.. double check plug connectors on pump... put battery cable back on... turn key on(3 mins or so) DO NOT START... turn key on and go back to see if pump is running... if so start the car and let run for about 5 mins ... check for leaks.. if no leaks put fuel sheild back on , engine beauty cover secured, hood down and your ready to go.... mines working fine.. no more gas gauge bouncing around and not knowing how much fuel you have...and if you just thinking of changing out sensor your better off doing the whole thing...its recommended ..
and check with the certified in the forum... they KNOW.. hope this helps some people out...sorry about no vid.. but I was working by myslef..needed both hands..and they would of been alot of editing... ^%$*#$%

Submariner409
03-03-13, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the writeup. This is going down to Discussions: Cadillac Tech Tips. There will be a permanent re-direct in Seville so a LOT of people will have a shot at your writeup.