: New Accessory Grille Installed

wwolfe68
03-03-13, 12:41 AM
Picked up our 12' SRX Premium last weekend and been busy accessorizing. Put on factory splash guards, door sill protectors, weathertech mats and the bright finish grille. All items were simple....except for the grille. 2.5hrs later the grille is in. I had to remove the inner wheel liners on both sides in front and pull the entire bumper assembly off the front of the SRX. Basically the entire front end of the vehicle had to come off to make the switch. All went well but definitely more involved than I anticipated. I am used to working on 50-60's cars and that job would of been 15min! I got a great deal on this grill off eBay and does look much nicer than the factory grille on my 12'. For those who are looking to do this.....not a difficult job.....just very time consuming and you will be an expert working with push clips.

Next is to install 13' 12 spoke chrome wheels....then that's it!!!

TheCaptain
03-03-13, 12:10 PM
Nice; but http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/images/smilies/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

carman603
03-03-13, 12:50 PM
I am attempting to replace the grille on my 2011 SRX Luxury with a 2013 grille. Got it on EBAY for $100. I would appricate any tips and photos.

wwolfe68
03-03-13, 01:04 PM
I was going to put the 13' grill on mine too, but found the 12' accessory bright finish grille on ebay too new in box delivered to the house for $75.00! 13' grille is nice. Here is a few pics. Weather stinks here now so dont have anything with car all cleaned up yet. Pictures are greatest quality and had to format them to get to post.104627

wwolfe68
03-03-13, 01:05 PM
After

davedogcaddy
03-03-13, 02:05 PM
Just purchased the 2013 grill for my 2010 SRX. There is a seller on eBay right now who has these that are pulls from 'vehicles with less than 5 miles' and is selling them for $100 shipped! I saw some info on a separate thread with some instructions on doing this without removing the front bumper fascia... hoping this is possible, as I've had to pull off the fascia on our CTS to change some bulbs and I really don't want to do this on the SRX.

wwolfe68
03-03-13, 02:33 PM
After doing this....not sure how you can replace the grille without removing the bumper fascia. Maybe it is possible but with the push clips and grille clips that retain the grille you need good access to inside of grille.Good luck and let us know how you make out.

classiccars
03-03-13, 03:17 PM
Here is a link to the thread I started last year about this subject.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/271353-2010-2012-grille-upgrade-2013-a.html
I was one of the first forum members to do this grille swap. Yes, I did it without removing the whole front end.
Here is a quick write-up on how I was told to perform the swap:
"...Hello. the instructions that come with grille are basicly are to remove the facia, then you transfer the grille over. But you can remove the grille without taking the facia off completly. but it would be hard to explain. first you have to pull the top trim off above the grille. then drill out the two rivits. remove the 10mm hex head fasteners on the top that hold the grille to the upper bar. then you have to pull on the ends at the top and remove the two push pins at the side top of each end. (These are the same type of push pins you needed to remove to remove the upper plastic cover earlier.) they have to come out before you try to remove the grille. then each side has 2 retainers that push through the facia but they are tricky. you have to move them back and forth while pushing on the grille so that the grille goes in towards the back of the vehicle. ( I used a sharp thin tool to help release these "Wedge" type fasteners. Once you see these clips, you will know what I'm talking about.) they are kind of like wedges that have to fit through a slot. so a little pressure and wiggle the tabs back and forth a little untill you get it through the slot. the bottom has about 6 of them but some of them come out with out any help but usually the two center ones will need to be moved up and down while pushin in on the grille. (I used a putty knife to release these two lower center tabs from the front. Between the chrome grille and fascia being careful of the paint on the fascia.) they are slotted horizontialy. and you have to do them by feel cause you cant see them. the new grille goes in very easy. just line up the 2 on each end tabs then the bottom ones will line up. push the grille forward while holding the facia. carful you dont want to break any of the tabs. get your hand inside behind the grille and push right at the fasteners so they snap all the way in. then put the hex bolts in and tighten them. now push on the facia at the bottom to seat the bottom fasteners. then install the two rivits. and the top peice. if you have headlamp washers then you will need to remove the hose assembly from the bottom edge of the grille after the fasteners are all removed so you can get to them. Good luck hope all goes well. take a look at the new grille to see the wedge shaped fasteners. dont push on the chrome , push on the grill frame. so as not to break the tabs..."

Keep us posted on how your swap goes. If someone needs advice, Just shoot me a message. I'll try to help.

Thanks Ken

davedogcaddy
03-03-13, 03:30 PM
Thanks for re-posting that info Ken, I'm going to try that route 1st. One question to the OP: how did the headlamp washers and fog lights affect the job? The CTS we have has nether, so it's just pretty much a few bolts and a million clips, and that's it. The headlamp washers and fog lights make me nervous to pull the while fascia on the SRX...

wwolfe68
03-03-13, 03:46 PM
Thanks classicars for the info and instructions. You are right.....guess I gave myself a lesson on removing the front end fascia off my wife's srx!!

Where did you get the lower grille chrome overlay? Got a P/N or where you purchased it from? That is next on my list now but haven't found anything.

davedogcaddy
03-03-13, 03:54 PM
I would also like to know about the lower grill, or at least an overlay of some sort. Can't seem to find it sold by itself...

classiccars
03-03-13, 04:41 PM
The lower chrome grille overlay: Originally I purchased the four piece chrome grille overlay set from DAP Automotive in Florida. (It comes with the lower grille overlay along with the three upper pieces.) I installed all four on the vehicle. A year or so later, the new 2013 grilles came out. I like that look better. So I swapped the upper grille and kept the lower chrome overlay grille. I'm not sure if you can just order the lower grille overlay. I think it comes as a set.

davedogcaddy
03-03-13, 05:35 PM
classiccars - thanks, that's what I'm finding so far. Would love to add that little bit of extra chrome to the lower grill....ties in so nicely with the new 2013 grill.

SRXDave
03-08-13, 03:16 PM
Look at showtrenz.com, great pictures
They don't take credit cards, I had mine sent COD

I installed both on my 2010 SRX and they look and fit great

2011-2012 Cadillac SRX VIP Premium Chrome Front Bumper Molding
Cadillac SRX Chrome Plated Front Lower Bumper Molding Trim
Price: $89.95
Application: 10 - 12 Cadillac SRX
Brand: VIP Premium Trim
Part No. IDF 1-CD601-05C
Finish: Chrome Plated ABS Plastic Trim - Luxury Finish
Item Condition: Brand New in Box
Package Content: 1 Piece Front Bumper Strip

2011-2012 Cadillac SRX C2C Chrome Grille Overlay - 3 PC
Price: $95.00
Brand: Coast 2 Coast
Part No. C2C GI-106
Finish: Durable ABS Construction and triple Chrome Plated - Matches all factory chrome trims perfectly
Package Content: 3 Piece Grille Insert (2 piece chrome horizontal trims + 1 piece Grille shield/crest surround)
Installation. Snaps over factory grille and secured with OEM approved 3M adhesive tape

davedogcaddy
03-09-13, 08:15 AM
the 2013 MY grill i ordered came in, and i installed it:

wwolfe68
03-09-13, 12:03 PM
Looks sweet. Really want to find the lower grille overlay in chrome. Just have an issue buying from a place online that doesn't accept PayPal or credit card these days. cOD or money order just doesn't sit well wih me dealing with this company

davedogcaddy
03-09-13, 04:26 PM
and wwolfe - you were right - i don't see how someone would replace the grill without pulling the fascia off. I read and re-read the instructions posted here for doing it with the fascia on, but in the time it took me to realize it wasn't going to come out without removing the fascia I could have had the fascia already off!

It was actually a lot easier than doing my Wife's '08 CTS - they have really made some improvements to the process.

bsze
03-17-13, 05:15 PM
i really do prefer the 10-12 over the 13+ grills. Same goes for the chromes wheels, its just too bad they are plastic. but I have had problems with them.