: Questions About Modifying the CTS-V Without Voiding the Warranty

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
03-02-13, 11:21 AM
As someone who has owned two V2 CTS-V vehicles ('09 sedan previously and '11 Vagon currently), I like the vehicle all around as my daily/only driver, and enjoy the occasional burst of speed. Having said that, and as someone who until recently owned a GT-R, I'd like more of that burst:D Can I ask the community here for recommendations on SAFE performance modifications that would not overtly void the warranty? I mean, if just brought my Vagon into a Cadillac dealer for regular preventive maintenance and a Service Advisor saw the modifications, would they void my warranty? I am NOT talking about situations whereby modifications did cause a problem with the car. I would expect that if I had a malfunction as a direct result of a modification/tune, that the particular equipment vendor or tuner would take responsibility for fixing whatever the problem was. I just don't want to get into a situation such as when, say, a Cadillac service department is trying to troubleshoot a problem grasps at straws when they can't readily figure it out, and then blames it on an after market work. Wouldn't the dealer have to prove that whatever I had done directly caused the problem? I am not trying to get over on Cadillac by having a modded vehicle, experience a problem with it, and expect Cadillac to honor the warranty. Also, with regards to having after market performance modifications done, would I be better off by going to the known tuners, such as D3, Hennessy, Lingenfelter, etc., as opposed to a reputable local tuner? A warranty would be nice! Thank you all.

RippyPartsDept
03-02-13, 12:48 PM
the only time warranty is voided is if the modification caused the failure
that's the law in plain english (basically) laid out by the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act

folks on the forum usually refer to dealers who know the MMWA and what it means as "mod friendly"
sounds like you know the risks and are willing to take them so finding a dealer that you can trust to not try and jerk you around seems to be the current goal

the 'prove the mod caused the problem' dilemma usually doesn't actually come down to proof and evidence
for instance, if you tune the ECM and then have some kind of engine or fuel/air problem you're SOL immediately (unless your dealer is super cool)
in that situation you would have to deal with whoever tuned it or put the ECM back to stock before the dealer could help under warranty
or say you lowered your car 6months ago and now you've got some irregular tire wear ... that's going to be on you also (again unless you have a really super cool dealer)

but if your window motor fails that's totally unrelated to a tune or lowering springs and warranty will take care of that no problem
if someone at a dealership tries to tell you otherwise i suggest you ask to speak with someone else (the manager) or find another dealer

the sticky situations arise when your failure is unrelated to mods but the dealer can't or won't diagnose it because of your mods
for instance an evap purge valve might fail ... it's engine related but probably not related to any modifications you've done so it's up to the dealer how to handle it
a mod friendly dealer might not bat an eye at looking into the problem and figuring out what it is and if it is related to any modifications
one that's not might just flat out say it's not covered under warranty before even looking into it or want some money down for diagnostics in case it turns out to be cause by the mod

thebigjimsho
03-02-13, 05:15 PM
You posted another thread asking about dealers. Lindsay will do quality work without throwing out a voided warranty argument at the drop of a hat.

My dealer in MA, Olsen Cadillac has been mod friendly on both of my modded Vs. They even all gathered around when I brought in my B&B, non-catted exhaust in because they all loved the sound.

Many dealers will let you freely modify your car. But, no dealer will be able to fight corporate if they come in for major claim like a blown engine.

But these engines are mod friendly and should be able to be tinkered with with minimal risks...

WINspeed
03-03-13, 12:48 AM
Does anybody know of any Mod friendly dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area?

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
03-03-13, 10:04 AM
From my other thread pertaining to recommendations on DC area Cadillac Service Departments, I think my first course of action is to take my Vagon to Lindsey, have them perform next scheduled maintenance, then talk to the techs and service advisers about possible modifications.

Gary Wells
03-03-13, 08:41 PM
I would get the Service Manager's approval first, then refer the service writer's & service technician's to him as needed.

DiamondWhtV
03-05-13, 05:51 PM
As someone who has owned two V2 CTS-V vehicles ('09 sedan previously and '11 Vagon currently), I like the vehicle all around as my daily/only driver, and enjoy the occasional burst of speed. Having said that, and as someone who until recently owned a GT-R, I'd like more of that burst:D Can I ask the community here for recommendations on SAFE performance modifications that would not overtly void the warranty?

I might be off the wall here...but trying to get to the burst of speed of a GT-R with the Vagon might take a wee bit more than SAFE performance modifications that would not overtly void the warranty.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
03-06-13, 08:42 AM
I might be off the wall here...but trying to get to the burst of speed of a GT-R with the Vagon might take a wee bit more than SAFE performance modifications that would not overtly void the warranty.
Yeah, maybe that's a stretch, but what I meant was I wanted a mod to maximize acceleration without getting into the area of an unreliable tune. Or one that would almost certainly void the warranty.

turbo2.0
03-06-13, 01:00 PM
We sell Airaid intake and full catback exhausts on probably half of the Vs that leave the dealer that I work at, but once you add a tune you are generally on your own. The only time that a tune is really looked at is if you were to blow up your motor, then we have to send in the ecm program info so GM can determine if it has been modified.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
03-06-13, 02:47 PM
We sell Airaid intake and full catback exhausts on probably half of the Vs that leave the dealer that I work at, but once you add a tune you are generally on your own. The only time that a tune is really looked at is if you were to blow up your motor, then we have to send in the ecm program info so GM can determine if it has been modified.
That's why I'd want a mod from a very, very reputable tuner, someone capable of giving me maximum performance but keeping it safe as a DD and not having to run the risk of a blown motor.

Gary Wells
03-06-13, 06:24 PM
Sort of having your cake and eating it too?
Good luck on that.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
03-06-13, 06:48 PM
Sort of having your cake and eating it too?
Good luck on that.
Yes, exactly. Thank you.

Presence Distribution
03-07-13, 09:36 AM
As many said above, catback and intake is basically the tops for performance mods that most dealers will not slap the cuffs on you.

Bryce

----------

As many said above, catback and intake is basically the tops for performance mods that most dealers will not slap the cuffs on you.

Bryce

Dr. Design
03-08-13, 01:49 PM
Hello,
Try BUTTS Cadillac.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Does anybody know of any Mod friendly dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area?

vagondr
03-09-13, 09:39 PM
The factory service manual advises against modifications of the electrical or vacuum systems as they may cause engine damage. Is a catch can in any way a modification of a vacuum system, since it plugs into the intake, and would it have warranty implications?

Dr. Design
03-11-13, 02:55 PM
Hello,
If there is any question at all, the best thing you can do is check with your local service adviser and see if they are okay with it prior to installation or purchase.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

The factory service manual advises against modifications of the electrical or vacuum systems as they may cause engine damage. Is a catch can in any way a modification of a vacuum system, since it plugs into the intake, and would it have warranty implications?