: Vibration; Tire "shimmy"

Kauai 1
03-02-13, 11:12 AM
I recently traded my 2004 SRX N* for a new 2012 SRX Luxury. The '04, which I purchased new, was a great car but suffered many of the first-year problems. The 2012 is, of course, a very different vehicle; it fits our needs very well, and the GM incentives made it difficult to pass up.
However, the vehicle was on the dealer's lot, in new car inventory, for 8 months. It had only 10 miles on it when purchased. I was concerned about tire "lot rot" and sure enough, once driven at highway speeds above 70 mph, the vibration started. The local Cadillac dealer force balanced the tires, but the two rears could not be brought within specs; they were replaced with two new tires. The fronts were said to be well within specs. Now, I still get a shimmy above 70 mph, especially at 75-77. It is not as bad as before, but is definitely there. The dealer tells me that this is "normal" for the second generation SRX. (Anyone heard that before?)
Thus my question.....do any other 2010-2013 owners have such a vibration or shimmy above 70 mph?
Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

Caddybill
03-02-13, 02:02 PM
I had same problem with 2011 Lux with OEM Latitude Tour HPs at 12,500 miles. Dealer said he couldn't balance tires so he "trued" them to stop vibration. Of coarse the tires needed replacing by 25,000 miles. I posted the situation on the Michelin web site and they responded by email to me with a claim #, and said the dealer should have replaced the tires instead of grinding them. I took a copy of the email to the dealer and they asked what I thought would be a fair resolution to this. I told them that 40% off their discounted price of a new set would satisfy me. They agreed to this and so far the new tires are doing fine. I hope I can get 50 or 60,000 miles out of these tires without vibration.
The dealer did screw up originally but I think they did do the right by me now. I don't know if Michelin helped the dealer with this or not, but at least they did the right thing in the end.

DTurmel
03-02-13, 02:26 PM
I recently traded my 2004 SRX N* for a new 2012 SRX Luxury. The '04, which I purchased new, was a great car but suffered many of the first-year problems. The 2012 is, of course, a very different vehicle; it fits our needs very well, and the GM incentives made it difficult to pass up.
However, the vehicle was on the dealer's lot, in new car inventory, for 8 months. It had only 10 miles on it when purchased. I was concerned about tire "lot rot" and sure enough, once driven at highway speeds above 70 mph, the vibration started. The local Cadillac dealer force balanced the tires, but the two rears could not be brought within specs; they were replaced with two new tires. The fronts were said to be well within specs. Now, I still get a shimmy above 70 mph, especially at 75-77. It is not as bad as before, but is definitely there. The dealer tells me that this is "normal" for the second generation SRX. (Anyone heard that before?)
Thus my question.....do any other 2010-2013 owners have such a vibration or shimmy above 70 mph?
Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

I recently bought winter rims and wheels my my 2012 SRX and ended up with the same kind of vibration. I know the the feeling, i like my ride to be prefect and it was just there enough for me to hate my ride into work every day....Tried to have them balanced one more time with no improvements and ended up doing a "road force". They finally found the tire that was problematic and moved it from the front to the rear and this helped tremendously and is almost perfect. I am still working with the tire place to get this one replaced....in my case it is not a dealer issue.....but to answer your question, NO this is not normal for the SRX , this is a BS answer from the dealer....another BS answer i heard in my case was that you should never drive at that speed anyway.....$%#%&$....if they replaced the tires at the rear they should do the same for the front or at least give you a discount. You can also try to swap the front and rear tires and this can make a drastic improvement....good luck, let me know how it turns out.

DT

adamjeeps
03-02-13, 03:11 PM
Of course it is not normal. Most likely a tire balance issue or an unlikely suspension or alignment issue. No vehicle should have a vibration at a certain speed.

Likely
03-02-13, 05:31 PM
Can't be normal for sure. The dealer is full of BS. He should just replace all tires and be done with it. I now have an 2013 premium SRX, rides so smooth, you would not know it was a crossover suv, really like the ride so far!!!! It has 20" wheels also. Keep after the dealer for tire replacement..
Another thing to check and make sure that one of the wheels is not damaged. The tire they moved frrom the front to the rear, is just a temporary fix. Get rid of that tire now, if not, you will have trouble later on.....Let me know how it turns out...

BriggZ
03-02-13, 11:12 PM
That's not normal. I have a 12 performance w/ 20" Chrometech wheels with 4000miles and it rides really smooth between 70-80 mph. Good luck.

Kauai 1
03-03-13, 04:34 PM
Thank you to those who replied! I have had lots of experience over the years with tire problems, and was quite sure that this situation was not "normal." However, there was the slim chance that the second generation SRX suffered from "smooth road shake." Since this is not the case, I will be pushing for two more new tires.
Thanks again!

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-04-13, 03:49 PM
Kauai 1, have you involved our Cadillac Customer Assistance Center at any point in the process yet? I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance if you would like me to investigate your best next steps for you at any point.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Kauai 1
03-04-13, 05:07 PM
All is now well! The best technician at the local dealership rebalanced the tires to perfection, and the vibration/shimmy is gone.
Thanks again to all who responded...........

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-05-13, 12:27 PM
Kauai, that's great to hear! I'm very sorry for the frustration leading up to that point but am pleases that your SRX is performing to your satisfaction currently.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Likely
03-05-13, 12:35 PM
Kauai...

Glad to hear that you have the problem solved...But, i still have a concern with that tire issue!!!!

adamjeeps
07-18-13, 12:15 PM
Funny, now I have the same problem. Dealer balanced tires, was even worse than before!! I think my dealer does not have the GM recommended balance machine, they are not listed on the Hunter GSP9700 website. They tried to fix it again and while better, I still have a shimmy at around 55 mph. Unless it gets worse, I will have them look at it again during next oil change, along with a couple TSBs to perform.

Kauai 1
08-03-13, 11:49 AM
Bad news! The problem with smooth road vibration is back, and I am very frustrated with the lack of remedial action by the dealer and GM Tech Assistance Center personnel. As I reported earlier, the dealer rebalanced the tires in March, and the vibration disappeared. We took no trips in May or June at highway speeds, so no problem noticed. Then the right front lower control arm bushing failed, and the control arm was replaced and an alignment done at the dealership. Two days later we took a trip of several hundred miles, and there it was again starting in the 70's on up.
So, back to the dealer, who road force balanced the tires (again) and said they were within specs. I made several test drives, and the vibration now starts in the mid-60's, and is worse in the 70's. So, back to the dealer again..... Now I am told other SRX's have the same problem and GM TAC procedures show no remedy. I know the situation is not "normal", per my experience and reports by others on this Forum. I suspect the two tires that were not replaced months ago are at fault (they are on the rear, and the vibration can be felt throughout the vehicle with only a small amount of steering wheel vibration), but GM will not approve tire replacement if they can meet balance specs. I asked for the tires to be switched with another SRX without the problem, but was told they all have the problem!
So far, calls to Cadillac Customer Assistance have been most frustrating, especially dealing with people who have no background and experience with automobile problems. (One rep was extremely rude, but that is another story.)
I would greatly appreciate other Forum members to give their feedback. I know some have reported vibration problems, most report none.
Thanks for your help!!

adamjeeps
08-03-13, 12:45 PM
We had a road/radial force balance done but have not been back on the interstate. Ours seems fine up to about 60-65. When they say within spec, that could mean up to 18 pounds of variation. I would be interested to see if your tires are near this. Ours they got down to less than 5 pounds of variation. Do you have 18 or 20 inch wheels? Chrome Tech or standard wheels?

What were the symptoms that required the control arm to be replaced?

Likely
08-03-13, 01:11 PM
Go to a pro tire shop.....Quit messing with the dealer!!!! You have bad tires without question. The techs at the dealerships today, know nothing about how to balance tires and alignment. They always have excuses....I have owned 2 SRX's, not one problem with vibration, balance or alignment.
Who replaced the control arm. How can the control arm be worn out already?

Ponyman
08-03-13, 01:40 PM
No vibration problems at any speed with either our 10 or 13. The 10 several times, and 13 once so far were back at the local dealer for rotation, and at least one re-balance on the 10.

Huey Driver
08-03-13, 02:27 PM
I had a vibration, but not a 'shimmy' as you describe. Mine felt more like driving on a grooved road. The vibration came in about 60 mph and was more of a harmonic than anything. Road force balance was tried, then they replaced one of the segments of the main drive shaft. Seems to have fixed the problem.
My vibration came in at 60-ish, and wouldnt go away (I tried up to 100mph). Same vibration when coasting at 70 in neutral, so not engine. I felt mine in the seats, and the buzzing harmonics would drive you crazy...
They have a vibration tester I read about in the tech bulletins, so the issue should be able to be located. But agree, they are no 'all like that'. Matter of fact, one time when in for service, I had a CTS loaner, and that had at TERRIBLE rear end vibration. I mentioned to the service writer and he said that was known, but surprised that my SRX had the same issue, as it was not well known.

I should add, that the first time they did the drive shaft (not sure which segment) it was better, but not fixed. Took it back and they said they cleaned off a glob of grease or locktite. That finished the job.

adamjeeps
08-03-13, 02:43 PM
Seems like anyone who posts this problem should include the following information:

Front wheel or all wheel drive?
Tire make and size and wheel size?
Wheel type (chrome tech, aluminum, etc...)?
Feel in steering wheel, seat, or both?
Speed vibration begins and ends (if ever)?

Kauai 1
08-03-13, 08:07 PM
Thanks to all of you for your replies and suggestions. My 2012 Luxury FWD has the stock 18" wheels, with Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/65 HR 18 tires. Adamjeeps, the vibration can be felt in front and rear seats, through the accelerator pedal, and through the steering wheel (but not like a front tire shimmy). It now starts in mid-60's and is most noticeable in the 70's; it is still strong in the lower 80's, which is as high as I have gone. The intensity varies, but backing off the accelerator seems to "excite" it.
My belief is that the rear tires are the cause. They were road force balanced by the dealer to about 5 pounds, which is within GM specs. However, I have had tires that caused similar vibrations on other vehicles that were within force balancing specs, but were faulty and replaced by non-dealer tire shops, which cured the problems. I do plan to take my car into Discount Tire for an evaluation; the guys at our local shop are pretty sharp, and have never bs'd me.
The front right lower control arm bushing is oil filled, and leaked onto my garage floor. This necessitated a trip to the dealer, with the subsequent replacement of the control arm and an alignment. I understand that some owners have had the vibration problem start after a dealer alignment..........any comments on this issue?
If I had a friend/neighbor with a 2nd gen SRX, I would test drive it, and then ask the dealer to swap wheels for a test. However, I don't have this opportunity, and the dealer tells me that their other SRX's shake, rattle and roll..........such BS!!!
Again, thanks to all Forum members for your help. If only GM would treat its owners with such concern and respect!!!
There is much I like about this vehicle, and I have been planning on purchasing a new 2013 for my wife. I am hopeful that the "New GM" does not stonewall its Cadillac customers like the "Old GM" did, but I am fearful that the old game is still being played.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-03-13, 09:07 PM
Bad news! The problem with smooth road vibration is back, and I am very frustrated with the lack of remedial action by the dealer and GM Tech Assistance Center personnel. As I reported earlier, the dealer rebalanced the tires in March, and the vibration disappeared. We took no trips in May or June at highway speeds, so no problem noticed. Then the right front lower control arm bushing failed, and the control arm was replaced and an alignment done at the dealership. Two days later we took a trip of several hundred miles, and there it was again starting in the 70's on up.
So, back to the dealer, who road force balanced the tires (again) and said they were within specs. I made several test drives, and the vibration now starts in the mid-60's, and is worse in the 70's. So, back to the dealer again..... Now I am told other SRX's have the same problem and GM TAC procedures show no remedy. I know the situation is not "normal", per my experience and reports by others on this Forum. I suspect the two tires that were not replaced months ago are at fault (they are on the rear, and the vibration can be felt throughout the vehicle with only a small amount of steering wheel vibration), but GM will not approve tire replacement if they can meet balance specs. I asked for the tires to be switched with another SRX without the problem, but was told they all have the problem!
So far, calls to Cadillac Customer Assistance have been most frustrating, especially dealing with people who have no background and experience with automobile problems. (One rep was extremely rude, but that is another story.)
I would greatly appreciate other Forum members to give their feedback. I know some have reported vibration problems, most report none.
Thanks for your help!!

Hello Kauai 1,

I apologize that the concern with your wheels are back. Could you provide me with your case number or VIN in a private message so I can look into your case for you? I also apologize that someone that you spoke to on our team was very rude to you. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Kauai 1
08-04-13, 10:21 AM
Thank you, Gregory W., for your offer of assistance. However, I prefer at this time not to complicate and/or confuse he matter by adding more GM employees into the mix.
It would be extremely helpful if you would advise Forum members if the vibration described by me and others is common and normal for 2nd gen SRX's. If it is not normal, what are the probable causes, procedures that should be followed by Cadillac dealer service departments, remedies proven to solve the problem, etc.
Thank you again; I know that other Forum members and I are looking forward to a detailed report from you and your associates regarding this matter.

Huey Driver
08-04-13, 05:09 PM
Kauai, I think the problem is there is no way you can 'describe' a vibration verbally... My dealership would not test drive my SRX over 60 mph due to insurance requirements (which I am happy for!)... I took the service manager (not the writer) on the main road and in less than a mile, we got the vibration, he acknowledged it, and we were turning around back to the dealer. As I said, they replaced a shaft (I have AWD) but I think it was a main shaft down the tunnel, so maybe not your issue.
Point is, you cant fix the problem in the internet. Insist on a drive, dont expect them to 'break the law' in your car, but show them the problem. I read about the analyzer in the TechLinks (http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=516). I figure they should be able to fix just about anything with that!

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-04-13, 06:19 PM
Thank you, Gregory W., for your offer of assistance. However, I prefer at this time not to complicate and/or confuse he matter by adding more GM employees into the mix.
It would be extremely helpful if you would advise Forum members if the vibration described by me and others is common and normal for 2nd gen SRX's. If it is not normal, what are the probable causes, procedures that should be followed by Cadillac dealer service departments, remedies proven to solve the problem, etc.
Thank you again; I know that other Forum members and I are looking forward to a detailed report from you and your associates regarding this matter.
Hello Kauai 1,

I completely understand not wanting to add more contacts into your case. Please let me know if you change your mind and would like me to look into the situation though. We look at our customer’s concerns on a case by case basis so I would not be able to advise if the vibration is normal or not. The data from our dealerships enable us to work towards a proven remedy for these concerns. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post. Please feel free to reach out to me via private message if you would like me to look into your case.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Kauai 1
08-04-13, 07:50 PM
Thank you, Huey Driver, for your input. I have taken the technician for several test drives, at speed, and he acknowledges the vibration. He was to do a drive with a "hertz meter" per TAC instructions....but now (again) says the problem cannot be identified. I will check to see if the dealership uses the NVH Analyzer described on Techlink. Since my vehicle is FWD, its problem is different from yours; I strongly suspect the tires.
And Gregory W., thanks again for your offers of assistance. If my case gets nowhere in the present Customer Assistance channels, I will private message you.
If any other Forum members have had similar problems, please post your experiences. I will keep the Forum informed of the (hopeful) resolution of this situation.

'12CTSman
08-04-13, 09:19 PM
Thank you, Huey Driver, for your input. I have taken the technician for several test drives, at speed, and he acknowledges the vibration. He was to do a drive with a "hertz meter" per TAC instructions....but now (again) says the problem cannot be identified. I will check to see if the dealership uses the NVH Analyzer described on Techlink. Since my vehicle is FWD, its problem is different from yours; I strongly suspect the tires.
And Gregory W., thanks again for your offers of assistance. If my case gets nowhere in the present Customer Assistance channels, I will private message you.
If any other Forum members have had similar problems, please post your experiences. I will keep the Forum informed of the (hopeful) resolution of this situation.

Have the tires been dismounted and inspected? You could have a broken belt, or other internal damage from hitting a curb, or a pothole. If so, has your dealer tried to balance the wheels and tires while on the car?

Crytyc
08-06-13, 03:42 PM
Thank you for describing my problem for me ! I think of it as a vibration rather than
a "shimmy' which has always meant something like a wheel wobble on a Model A Ford
to me.

I can't describe the problem in any better terms than you have. It isn't detectable
until about 65, clearly present at 70, and drives one bananas at 73, then hangs around
to at least 85 but seems to diminish a bit there. Haven't noticed any throttle effect.

My car is 2012 SRX AWD with Michelin Latitude Tour HP P235 55R20. Thus far my
dealers service manager has acknowledged it, and the shop identified a tire that
could not be brought into specs, ordered out a replacement and mounted it.

I could not detect any improvement at all from this action. I haven't been back to them on this yet.

I was pleased to find this site and your comments --misery loves company I guess.

Crytyc

Likely
08-06-13, 06:49 PM
The dealer needs to break down all the tires and inspect the tires and wheels. You could have a wheel thats not true. Also if they find nothing, have them mount the tires a half a turn from the original mount that came from the factory. I have experienced that, and you will amazed what difference it will make in the balance...I'm no pro tech, but i grew up in a garage and service station, so had some experience with tires and wheels...

Kauai 1
08-07-13, 11:49 AM
Thanks again for all who have responded. The dealer is following factory mandated procedures at this point, so we will see what transpires.
I still suspect faulty tire(s). There have been no encounters with potholes or curbs to cause damage, however.
Likely, I too have had tires on other vehicles remounted half-turn, and rebalanced; sometimes worked, other times didn't. The thing is, after the initial problems 5 months ago, the car rode at speed perfectly smooth.
I will keep you all informed.............

adamjeeps
08-07-13, 12:37 PM
I'm starting to think Michelin made some bad tires in the SRX size. According to tire rack, there only 3 makers of the 20 inch size we use. I wonder if Michelin cut some corners in providing OEM tires to GM? Well maybe not, since they have been OEM for 4 years now.

EDIT: Han anyone ever used tire balance beads? http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-07-13, 04:16 PM
Thank you for describing my problem for me ! I think of it as a vibration rather than
a "shimmy' which has always meant something like a wheel wobble on a Model A Ford
to me.

I can't describe the problem in any better terms than you have. It isn't detectable
until about 65, clearly present at 70, and drives one bananas at 73, then hangs around
to at least 85 but seems to diminish a bit there. Haven't noticed any throttle effect.

My car is 2012 SRX AWD with Michelin Latitude Tour HP P235 55R20. Thus far my
dealers service manager has acknowledged it, and the shop identified a tire that
could not be brought into specs, ordered out a replacement and mounted it.

I could not detect any improvement at all from this action. I haven't been back to them on this yet.

I was pleased to find this site and your comments --misery loves company I guess.

Crytyc

Hi Crytyc,

I am sorry to hear of this ongoing issue you are experiencing on your vehicle. I see you already worked with your dealership, and the replacement and mount does not seem to have fixed the issue. I am happy you are able to get the information you are looking for from other forum members on this thread. I would like to further discuss your current situation if you would like. I can be reached via private message and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Kauai 1
09-11-13, 11:58 AM
After a visit to an independent tire shop for road force balancing of the rear tires, plus the dealer's efforts, it was determined that the vibration was caused by a bad rear tire. It was replaced under warranty, and now all is well. Several trips have been smooth, and enjoyable drives.
Thanks to all of the Forum members who assisted in resolving the subject problem.
And, we did purchase a new '13 XTS to join the SRX in the garage. They look good together!

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-11-13, 02:09 PM
After a visit to an independent tire shop for road force balancing of the rear tires, plus the dealer's efforts, it was determined that the vibration was caused by a bad rear tire. It was replaced under warranty, and now all is well. Several trips have been smooth, and enjoyable drives.
Thanks to all of the Forum members who assisted in resolving the subject problem.
And, we did purchase a new '13 XTS to join the SRX in the garage. They look good together!

Hello Kauai 1,

I am glad your vehicle issue has been resolved! I hope you are enjoying both of your Cadillac vehicles now. I bet they do look good together :) Don't hesitate to contact us in the near future if additional concerns or questions arise.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

carbeck
11-12-13, 08:22 PM
I'm glad I've found this thread. As I've previously posted, we picked up a 2014 Premium AWD in late September. We ended up having to take an unexpected road trip a week later, and began experiencing a loud vibration during the trip. We stopped at a Cadillac dealer on the way, and they were unable to find anything (couldn't get it to duplicate), and when we got back, we had our dealer check it. No luck.

During the trip, it was mostly around 60-65 mph in cruise control when the vibration would pop up, and it was loud (sounded like a semi was next to you). It mainly seemed to do it during cruise control or similar highway driving; as soon as you would accelerate or hit the brakes, it would quit. On a few occasions, it also happened at other speeds (at complete random), but was at its worst on the highway.

When we got back, in early October, the noise didn't come up again... until yesterday. This time, it was at exactly 31 mph with the cruise on, and it only did it a couple of times. We couldn't think of any reason why it would suddenly do it again, until we realized that I had just put the car into ECO mode. I had also done that at the beginning of the trip (though I had extinguished it before the noise started). I've noticed in this thread that the most common causes of a vibration are a bad rear tire or something with the driveshaft. Is it possible that somehow the ECO mode is causing just the right condition for the noise to pop up?

In the next couple of days, I'm hoping to test the car in and not in ECO mode and with various seating arrangements and cargo to see if I can duplicate it again. If I can, I'll try to have a tech ride with me to hear it. But in the meantime, can anyone post if they've experienced something exactly like this, and what the problem was?

Thanks.

carbeck
01-22-14, 06:58 PM
We believe we have found our answer at last - bad drive shaft. The dealer discovered it today while it was in for a firmware update on the rear heated seats. It was causing a whining sound during acceleration at this point, and they were able to narrow it down.

Maxplot
01-30-14, 03:14 PM
I could feel a mild vibration at 65+ mph on my new 2013 FWD SRX with Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/55-20, chrome wheels. After one visit to the dealer to get the tires re-balanced and have the locking lugs removed and replaced with regular lug, I could still feel the vibration. Dealer recommended a road force balance which they could not do, but they took it to a tire dealer that had a hunter road force balance machine. By road force balancing the tires they found that 3 of my tires were out of spec (not round). The dealer replace with 3 new tires. I can still feel a teenny tinny bit of vibration at highway speeds, but I can live with that. I may go and spend the money to get the three new tires road force balanced. I am surprised that there were 3 bad tires on my car. I always thought Michelin was the best tire you could buy, but I guess I got a bad batch.

adamjeeps
01-30-14, 03:30 PM
I could feel a mild vibration at 65+ mph on my new 2013 FWD SRX with Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/55-20, chrome wheels. After one visit to the dealer to get the tires re-balanced and have the locking lugs removed and replaced with regular lug, I could still feel the vibration. Dealer recommended a road force balance which they could not do, but they took it to a tire dealer that had a hunter road force balance machine. By road force balancing the tires they found that 3 of my tires were out of spec (not round). The dealer replace with 3 new tires. I can still feel a teenny tinny bit of vibration at highway speeds, but I can live with that. I may go and spend the money to get the three new tires road force balanced. I am surprised that there were 3 bad tires on my car. I always thought Michelin was the best tire you could buy, but I guess I got a bad batch.

This sounds like my ordeal, except the replacement tires were unable to be road forced balanced, as well. The car sitting on the dealer lot is terrible for a new tire. I can tell you that road force balancing is the way to go, and I am shocked there are still Caddy dealers (mine included) that do not have the Hunter or equivalent road force balance machine. Here is a good link for future reference for shops to find in your area:
http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Huey Driver
01-30-14, 04:43 PM
I had one of the drive shafts on mine replaced for a harmonic vibration. They tried all the same stuff as yours. There's some neat gizmo they have that will sense vibrations and tell where they come from using a multitude of sensors. Thats what it took with mine. I remember another vibration (but not the details) that was cured by cleaning and reapplying the proper amount of grease and locktite to one of the drive shafts.