: Terrible Topic

Tom's Caddy
03-02-13, 09:38 AM
Sorry to even bring this up, but has anyone with a 2006-2011 DTS heard of or has had:canttalk: a headgasket problem like that of prior Northstars ( head bolts loosening from the block ). Has anyone heard of headgasket problems of any kind, and if so are they the same old causes.

Superjim
03-02-13, 12:45 PM
I can only recall ONE instance... and that was caused be it being severely overheated several times because the cooling fans were not working.

Go to Auto Zone and get the exhaust gas testing kit... it is only 8 or 10 bucks.
test for exhaust gas in the coolant.
FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY...

RippyPartsDept
03-02-13, 12:55 PM
we've done a couple in the last 6 or so years

just like any other car/engine might have a head gasket problem

not headbolts pulling like in the old days - that's fixed

this thread will give you an idea of when the final head bolt fix was implemented
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/251054-2004-deville-determining-headbolt-thread-pitch.html

Tom's Caddy
03-02-13, 01:31 PM
Thanks Jim, but thank God there is nothing wrong with mine no need for the block test but am grateful for you're concern. I just love my car and worry because I go to the older FWD forum often and so many HG failures. Chris thanks for that reassurance. Chris I think I read a thread comment you made once about the 2005 and newer Northstars can be repaired, something like this ( easier then before in car ) if so could you please tell me why. Thanks guys.

RippyPartsDept
03-02-13, 01:37 PM
the engine still needs to come out (if you're doing it by the book or correctly imho)
but the block doesn't need to be tapped and inserted
just like any other headgasket job on any other car

Tom's Caddy
03-02-13, 01:48 PM
Thanks Chris, you have great knowledge.