: 2013 ATS 2.0T engine hiccup, stumble, or misfire periodically when idling...

probee773
02-28-13, 04:29 PM
We leased a 2013 ATS 2.0T 3 weeks ago. We love the car so far except for one nagging problem. Periodically when idling, the engine will hiccup briefly (the RPMs drop slightly on the tachometer and car shakes for a quick second). Anyone else have this issue? We had it in to the dealer for service, but they couldn't find anything wrong. Thoughts?

ATurboS
02-28-13, 04:37 PM
We leased a 2013 ATS 2.0T 3 weeks ago. We love the car so far except for one nagging problem. Periodically when idling, the engine will hiccup briefly (the RPMs drop slightly on the tachometer and car shakes for a quick second). Anyone else have this issue? We had it in to the dealer for service, but they couldn't find anything wrong (I'm not convinced they know what they're doing). Thoughts?

This a common problem that many drivers are having. Dealers aren't finding any problem. I personally have brought mine in twice with no success.

rustybear3
02-28-13, 04:43 PM
This a common problem that many drivers are having. Dealers aren't finding any problem. I personally have brought mine in twice with no success.

My guess is a stuck turbo...that happened to mine when I first got the car; not enough lube causing a scaping on the sides and occasional freeze up, choking and/or stalling engine. They replaced it with a brand new Turbo.

probee773
02-28-13, 04:51 PM
I've been reading the other post here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/277388-trembling-idle-3.html

I think this problem may be caused by something placing a strain on the engine when the RPMs are low (idle). Perhaps the AC compressor kicking on? No matter what the cause, we all need to contact Cadillac so that they know this is an issue and can address it. Someone needs to capture this happening on video. That will speed up the process. I will let the car idle in my driveway and play with the AC to see if I can replicate the problem on video.

BNRacing
02-28-13, 05:16 PM
Are you describing how at an idle the car runs fine then suddenly it will drop idle and shake for just a second and then go back up to normal? If so, I think this is caused by the A/C compressor as stated above. My LNF 2.0T car does this also (2010 Cobalt SS)

ATurboS
02-28-13, 07:50 PM
Are you describing how at an idle the car runs fine then suddenly it will drop idle and shake for just a second and then go back up to normal? If so, I think this is caused by the A/C compressor as stated above. My LNF 2.0T car does this also (2010 Cobalt SS)

Yes this only happens to me when the AC is on.

CarolinaCaddy
02-28-13, 09:37 PM
Same problem. I brought mine in for the third time in less than a month. This is getting so aggravating. Outside of that issue the car is great. However, if they can't fix this problem we may be talking about "lemon law" activation. I just can't see continuing to pay for this hassle. I should of gone with my gut and waited a year for these issues to get worked out instead of being the guinea pig.

BNRacing
02-28-13, 10:13 PM
Yes this only happens to me when the AC is on.

Ok yeah all the 2.0T cars do this. They probably won't fix it. The Cobalt guys have been complaining about it since 2008. We share a similar engine, your LTG is basically the next generation of the 2.0T that was in the Cobalt SS Turbocharged from 2008-2010.

exesivefire
02-28-13, 11:33 PM
Mine does it all the time, it's stalled once. And lately it's been taking a but more throttle than normal to get going after sitting at a light.

probee773
03-01-13, 08:36 AM
Unfortunately GM is notoriously slow to fix certain widespread issues. I just sold my 2011 Chevy Camaro to get the ATS. The Camaro had an issue with the manual transmission (Google "second gear grind AY6 transmission"). There were thousands and thousands of complaints on this (no exaggeration). GM finally updated the synchros in the transmission to fix the problem after almost three years of customers complaining. Not good. However, the difference here is that a simple software update can fix the problem with the ATS. The fix could be that, right before the AC compressor kicks on, the ECU ups the RPMs by a few hundred to compensate for the initial drag of the compressor, and voila, no more idle stumble. We need to stay on top of Cadillac until they fix this.

However, more realistically, a quicker fix may come from an independent tuner. Any tuners out there care to provide their thoughts?

Edit: I do want to add that, other than this small nagging issue, the ATS 2.0T is an amazing car and we love it. We just want to love it 100% instead of 99% :)

CarolinaCaddy
03-01-13, 09:07 AM
I hope they fix this issue considering this is such an important car for GM and cadillac. Its ironic how all the marketing showed it being "tested and proved" all over the world. Its kind of funny because you would think that the stumble at idle should of been discovered with all that "testing." Come on GM don't let us down and screw up another great product. I have been a GM owner for life but issues like this give me room for pause. I am sure the Germans are having a blast about now.

probee773
03-01-13, 09:36 AM
I hope they fix this issue considering this is such an important car for GM and cadillac. Its ironic how all the marketing showed it being "tested and proved" all over the world. Its kind of funny because you would think that the stumble at idle should of been discovered with all that "testing." Come on GM don't let us down and screw up another great product. I have been a GM owner for life but issues like this give me room for pause. I am sure the Germans are having a blast about now.

I couldn't agree more. The Europeans in general think that American engineering is a joke. Just the other day on Top Gear UK they were testing a few American cars (including the new SRT Viper among others) and they said that American cars in general are not as "thoroughly engineered" as European cars. I find that offensive, and Cadillac should too. Let's prove them wrong.

rsingl
03-01-13, 02:12 PM
Well Top Gear is biased far more towards entertainment than information so I wouldn't be too concerned :) These comments about U.S. vehicles are a long running gag on the show.

Of course maybe they are trying to compensate for the decades of evil deeds by Lucas Electronics A.K.A. The Prince of Darkness.

On a more serious note, thanks to all of the posters providing information in this section. I bought a 2nd generation CTS in 2008 and I am seriously thinking about buying an ATS shortly. I need to spend a little more time adjusting the seat as the roof felt a bit close during my short test but the headroom is supposed to be almost identical according to GM specs so I am planning to give it a second look.

josefelipe
03-01-13, 05:50 PM
I've also had this issue, however, it had nothing to do with the AC. And it happens when the engine is cold or warmed up. Something else is wrong here. If it were a new engine that'd be one thing, someone above mentioned it's from the Cobalt a few years back. This is the refined version?

rsingl
03-01-13, 06:06 PM
The AC compressor will cycle in other modes as long as the outside temperature is above roughly 38 Fahrenheit. This helps to remove moisture and prevent the windshield/windows from fogging so if the glitch is being caused by the A/C compressor it isn't necessary for the A/C mode to be selected.

BNRacing
03-01-13, 09:22 PM
I've also had this issue, however, it had nothing to do with the AC. And it happens when the engine is cold or warmed up. Something else is wrong here. If it were a new engine that'd be one thing, someone above mentioned it's from the Cobalt a few years back. This is the refined version?

The LTG is a newer more refined (next gen) version of the LNF basically. The LNF is still used today though in the Fisker Karma. The Buick Regal GS and Verano Turbo guys also complain about this problem and the have an engine that is very similar to the LTG and LNF also.

zr1mom
03-01-13, 09:36 PM
A $50,000 car shouldn't have these issues, mine does it as well. This and the piss poor gas mileage will mean when my lease is up this will be my last cadillac.

CarolinaCaddy
03-01-13, 10:46 PM
Well as of today the dealer I leased my Cadillac from must of given up after three attempts to fix this issue. They apparently passed it to another Cadillac dealer just down the street. It sounds shady. They called today and told me the finally put in a ticket to GM. Really?! So it takes three visits in under 30 days for it to rise to that level despite the fact that this issue seems somewhat common with most owners of this gen 1 vehicle? This sounds fishy to me. Now they want to see if they can put me in another comparable ATS. So that is the solution? Put me in a vehicle that might have the same issues? You are right ZR1mom a car at this price should not have these issues, period.

Its an ATS
03-02-13, 01:58 PM
Mine is a 3.6 and does this... Going to the dealer Monday morning.

Rin
03-03-13, 04:21 AM
I have a 2.0 manual (picked it up Tuesday), and have only noticed a very slight stumble at idle and on start up. No stalling YET.

bungee91
03-03-13, 09:06 AM
I have a 2.0 manual (picked it up Tuesday), and have only noticed a very slight stumble at idle and on start up. No stalling YET.
Typically manuals have a bit higher idle for smoother engagement/drivability (at least this was always the case with previous GM manual cars that I've owned) You shouldn't have any issues, I certainly don't & have roughly 4k miles now.

Rin
03-03-13, 01:19 PM
Hey bungee91, unrelated but see my post here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/283381-2-0-manual-transmission-kinda-clunky.html. Thoughts?

bungee91
03-03-13, 04:59 PM
Hey bungee91, unrelated but see my post here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/283381-2-0-manual-transmission-kinda-clunky.html. Thoughts?
Replied

skip000
03-04-13, 09:55 AM
this problem has made me decide to not purchase the ATS... too bad, but I don't need to have this problem...not when I have been fore warned!

probee773
03-04-13, 10:16 AM
this problem has made me decide to not purchase the ATS... too bad, but I don't need to have this problem...not when I have been fore warned!

I can't speak for everyone, but my stumble issue is very very minor. Overall I LOVE the 2.0T ATS and would purchase it again if I had to do it all over.

Also, don't discount the Cadillac until you research and test drive the competition. BMW and Mercedes turbo 4's have similar issues. In general, four cylinder engines are more difficult to keep smooth at idle.

zr1mom
03-04-13, 08:45 PM

Smart move, in time I'm sure they'll get this worked out. I'm ready to visit my dealer with yet another list of issues some repeats. At this rate I'll put more mileage on the loaner than my car.