: How are letters attached.

Hoosier Daddy
02-27-13, 05:47 PM
This is borderline technical at best. I asked in the appearance forum but think its much more likely an actual ATS owner would know the answer.

I hate any badging on my cars other than tasteful images such as the wreath and Crest for example. But the ATS lettering and any other lettering will be getting removed unless there are alignment or mounting holes behind them. Anyone know if they are just glued on?

Stevo Supremo
02-27-13, 06:52 PM
I'd bet anything the letters are stick on (hair dryer and some goo gone'll take care of that)

as for the emblem just look behind the emblem on the inside of the trunk, see if there's any visible bolts, probably not, but its your safest bet to check that out.

Hoosier Daddy
02-27-13, 09:01 PM
I'd bet anything the letters are stick on (hair dryer and some goo gone'll take care of that)

as for the emblem just look behind the emblem on the inside of the trunk, see if there's any visible bolts, probably not, but its your safest bet to check that out.
I think you're right but you never know 'till you know. I thought the 5.0 on the Mustang was just glued. It was glued but there was also a guide hole for a pin on the back of the letters.

I will look in the trunk when the car gets here in April if I can't find out someway before. I guess I'm really just asking if anyone else has removed theirs yet.

That's of course if I can't spell something funny by moving the letters around. I had an H1 in '71. I flipped the W upside down and swapped the S and 2nd K. Yeah, it wasn't spelled right but was close enough.

gfxbt
02-27-13, 10:40 PM
Highly likely that they are stick on. Usually there is a plastic guide that is used (wraps around edge of deck lid) for alignment, as opposed to guide holes (in my experience).

drsketch
02-28-13, 12:00 AM
Note that before you buy any car you can tell the dealer you will not buy it until things that like that are removed. I have done it in the past.

Hoosier Daddy
02-28-13, 09:40 AM
Note that before you buy any car you can tell the dealer you will not buy it until things that like that are removed. I have done it in the past.
I know they will do it but I prefer to do it myself. I've done hundreds of them and I know I won't scratch the paint, etc.. For a dealer, time is money. They won't provide a perfect level of care; they couldn't afford to. Their practices may mean they scratch less than 1% but for the owners of those few cars that's not much comfort.

I don't even let dealers remove the sheets the cars are shipped with to protect the paint. They can clean the interior and examine the exterior sheets for signs of possible damage but that's it. None of my cars ever sees a dealer (or private) service department unless its for something I can't do myself or involves an expensive part under warranty. I don't let anyone wash my cars, including dealer service departments because that means I wouldn't know if they scratched anything and buffed it out. I've seen it happen to many cars, even luxury brands. I'm not complaining or resent having to do my own cleaning. I just have a personal standard beyond what a dealer can afford to provide.

turbo2.0
02-28-13, 10:35 AM
they are just glued, 2 minutes worth of work and they are gone

Hoosier Daddy
02-28-13, 10:39 AM
they are just glued, 2 minutes worth of work and they are gone
Great! Thanks. Now I'll have more space for bumper stickers. j/k

ffamousamos
03-31-13, 11:00 AM
In my experience they are applied with body adhesive (tape). My 05 CTS had the dealer name and (VTXi) on the rear trunk. I removed them using a piece of fishing line. Take the fishing line and use a sawing motion simply remove the letters. Use some adhesive remover to get the residue off.

Stevo Supremo
03-31-13, 11:04 AM
At work we put the XTS, the "P" in platinum and "4" on with just the glue thats on the backing. If thats how we apply the cadillac ATS emblems then I cant see the ATS ones being anything different.

Some goof put them on crooked so I had to take it off at the end of the line, buff the paint and re apply them :bonkers: I just used some fishing string and a heat gun (carefully :suspense: ) and then give it a good buffing with scratch remover or the finest of fine buffing compounds.

mikesul
04-01-13, 10:43 AM
I used dental floss to remove these type of letters. Then goo-b-gone to clean up the adhesive and not harm the paint.

cztrammell
04-01-13, 01:03 PM
lol I thought about this over the weekend. The dealer crest was driving me crazy and that came off without any effort. After that, the rear badging didn't look too bad - not messy. But, I had detailed and waxed it later in the weekend, and realized how annoying it was to work around clearing the wax from it. Next weekend, they definitely come off.

Fraggy
04-04-13, 01:17 AM
I've been wondering if anyone was going to debadge an ATS. I'm thinking about it, but kinda like the lettering. The car is still so rare.

Hoosier Daddy
04-04-13, 10:24 AM
I've been wondering if anyone was going to debadge an ATS. I'm thinking about it, but kinda like the lettering. The car is still so rare.
I definitely am going to remove the lettering; that's why I started this thread. I do it for every vehicle I buy unless it would leave holes to patch. As for badges, its a case by case situation. I like the wreath and crest, so the ATS keeps those. A local dealer (not mine) actually adds one on each C pillar and it looks good.

Stevo Supremo
04-04-13, 12:10 PM
I do it to every vehicle as well, but for this one I'm more inclined to leave them on, I know why you remove them, looks cleaner and easier to wax. But this cars still so new, and I like the sharp bolt font :)

GTO to ATS
07-02-14, 12:05 PM
reviving an old thread.

I am on the fence with debadging mine. My hold up is I have the ATS4 3.6 and with a few very small exceptions (wider rear tires, exhaust note) the only differentiator between a RWD vs. AWD and 2.0 vs. 3.6 are the badges. Also not sold on if it even looks better. I have debadged all my previous cars model and trim badging but the lettering on the ATS has grown on me, and once you take them off its hard to get things lined up again if you change your mind. Debadging does separate yours from everyone else though, and I do like the "what kind of car is that" aspect, which I like. No doubt its a Caddy, but WHAT kind of caddy? :cool2:

myATS
07-02-14, 12:27 PM
Debadge it, screw the 2.0 vs 3.6 thing, even though the 2.0's are faster... :D

mrasmussen
07-04-14, 12:46 AM
I forgot to tell the dealer not to put their name on my car, what do you think the best way to get this off is? It looks like a sticker.

I have no idea why dealers think it is ok to place stickers on your new car, especially cars like Cadillacs. Imagine buying a shirt from Macy's and they stamp it before you leave. Just pisses me off, and for most of my cars in the past I remembered to tell them not to sticker me.

Bertha D Blues
07-04-14, 11:22 AM
Both of our Cadillacs received dealer stick-on crap. Fortunately, they were poorly applied and pulled off without difficulty. I cleaned off the adhesive residue with mineral spirits but GooGone might work too. Bert

tunedATS
07-04-14, 12:41 PM
Hitting it with a blow dryer for a few seconds makes it super easy to peel... I used wd40 to clean the residue... Little turtle wax polishing compound/scratch remover to blend the fading, if there is any.... Same technique for debaging....

rspitler
07-04-14, 04:14 PM
My car also received a dealer sticker. However, this one will NOT be removed. It's a small American flag applied on the inside of the drivers side windshield.

ILoveJuicySteak
07-04-14, 08:02 PM
I used some floss and a hair dryer(hair dryer wasn't really necessary, just helpful). there was a little bit of goo left over so i used some goo gone to take the residue off. Looks pretty good if you ask me.

I taped off and plasti dipped the reflectors as well.

http://i62.tinypic.com/v63c5y.jpg

powder coated the stock rims and wrapped the chrome on the side and rear accents(front upper and lower chrome trims as well)
http://i61.tinypic.com/2jaaq7q.jpg

mrasmussen
07-05-14, 04:20 PM
Just pulled off my dealer's crappy sticker, looks much better without it. I hit it with a hair dryer for a few and peeled it off. I then has some residue from the sticker, so I hit that with GooGone, which worked perfectly, but it also took the wax off in that little area. Applied a small amount of some old carnuba wax I had laying around, looks and feels perfect now. Thanks for the tips guys!

duneless
07-06-14, 09:11 PM
I have yet to run a 2.0 with my 3.6 Can't wait for this to happen. I want to see this for my self:sneaky:

Hoosier Daddy
07-06-14, 10:09 PM
Debadge it? I didn't know 3.6s had badges, but then I never saw the back of one.[/smacktalk]

Stevo Supremo
07-07-14, 12:02 PM
I have yet to run a 2.0 with my 3.6 Can't wait for this to happen. I want to see this for my self:sneaky:

Debadge it? I didn't know 3.6s had badges, but then I never saw the back of one.[/smacktalk]

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad229/stevoelsupremo/download_zps6a688fad.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stevoelsupremo/media/download_zps6a688fad.jpg.html)