: 02 Escalade fires up and dies.

serprider
02-26-13, 09:27 PM
So this issue started about a week ago, during a cold start threw a check engine code p0171 and p0174. After driving about 2 miles it went off and did not come back on that day, the next morning it threw the code again on fire. Drove it most of the day and finally it went off. A few days went by with no code being thrown at all so I had put it out of my mind. I stopped to make a call to a client and as I started to pull away the truck fell on its ass and died. I started it and it fired back up, chugged forward but would not gain rpm. I called my buddy who is a pretty good mechanic to come help me out. When he got there he first bled the fuel line and it fired right up ran like normal, he told me I had air in my fuel line some how, it drove about half a mile and started chugging lost all rpm and died. After looking over everything he thought maybe I was out of gas, fuel pump kicking on, relay was switching, was getting fuel to the rail. We then towed it to the gas station. What a sight seeing a sebring towing an Escalade! I filled her up and tried getting the truck to start with no avail. We ended up towing it back to my house and since it has been snowing and we have about 6 inches and counting he has not been back over to look at it. I decided to go ahead and change the fuel filter out first and check all vacuum hoses, leaks at intake manifold and air filter. I have some knowledge cars and trucks but I am no by profession mechanic.... After changing the filter and cycling the fuel pump I can get it to rank it revs up to about 2k rpms then just slowly dies. It will do it over and over again... I was thinking maybe the ECU has the codes thrown and wont let it start? Thought I would ask some suggestions before getting a mechanic to look at it and drop the tank for no reason.

Thanks!

the cadillac man
02-26-13, 09:48 PM
So this issue started about a week ago, during a cold start threw a check engine code p0171 and p0174. After driving about 2 miles it went off and did not come back on that day, the next morning it threw the code again on fire. Drove it most of the day and finally it went off. A few days went by with no code being thrown at all so I had put it out of my mind. I stopped to make a call to a client and as I started to pull away the truck fell on its ass and died. I started it and it fired back up, chugged forward but would not gain rpm. I called my buddy who is a pretty good mechanic to come help me out. When he got there he first bled the fuel line and it fired right up ran like normal, he told me I had air in my fuel line some how, it drove about half a mile and started chugging lost all rpm and died. After looking over everything he thought maybe I was out of gas, fuel pump kicking on, relay was switching, was getting fuel to the rail. We then towed it to the gas station. What a sight seeing a sebring towing an Escalade! I filled her up and tried getting the truck to start with no avail. We ended up towing it back to my house and since it has been snowing and we have about 6 inches and counting he has not been back over to look at it. I decided to go ahead and change the fuel filter out first and check all vacuum hoses, leaks at intake manifold and air filter. I have some knowledge cars and trucks but I am no by profession mechanic.... After changing the filter and cycling the fuel pump I can get it to rank it revs up to about 2k rpms then just slowly dies. It will do it over and over again... I was thinking maybe the ECU has the codes thrown and wont let it start? Thought I would ask some suggestions before getting a mechanic to look at it and drop the tank for no reason.

Thanks!

It's your fuel pump mine did the same thing exactly how you same it(with the exception of codes) and I ended up having to get a tow to the dealer(man was that embarrassing) and the worst part was I was late for my class (and college classes are hard to make if you miss any work)
I think it was around 600 with tow bill and I only got one warning and that was at 123,000 it waited till 150,000 exactly to crap out

serprider
02-26-13, 09:52 PM
Mine just hit 140k .. Sounds like I will have to have my buddy come out and drop the tank and perform surgery on this thing.. Just sucks it had to take a crap during a snow storm.. My little Turbo VR6 was not built for the snow, no air, no heat..

wesyder
02-26-13, 10:41 PM
Mine just hit 140k .. Sounds like I will have to have my buddy come out and drop the tank and perform surgery on this thing.. Just sucks it had to take a crap during a snow storm.. My little Turbo VR6 was not built for the snow, no air, no heat..

Im over 200k and still going on original pump i have the new pump but haven't replaced it yet, i will before summer

the cadillac man
02-27-13, 12:10 AM

It don't take but a hour or two depending on how much fuel is in the tank

serprider
02-27-13, 12:28 AM
It don't take but a hour or two depending on how much fuel is in the tank

I have never had to drop a tank, any good write-ups that you could refer me to .. Since I thought I was out of gas I ended up putting in almost half a tank..

the cadillac man
02-27-13, 12:48 AM
I have never had to drop a tank, any good write-ups that you could refer me to .. Since I thought I was out of gas I ended up putting in almost half a tank..

Ain't too hard there is two bolts that hold the tank straps then the tank can be lowered(be careful about the harnesses and hoses) remove the hoses and disconnect the harnesses and the tank will be free the pump has a retaining ring that holds it in place(you will need a screwdriver and hammer for this) then the pump lifts out after the retaining ring is removed(just be careful of the pump seal)

Also there is a fuel pressure sensor on the top of the pump don't break it

serprider
02-27-13, 02:47 PM
Could this by any chance be my security system? When should the light be flashing? Or should it ever come on at all when using my key?

the cadillac man
02-27-13, 03:35 PM
Could this by any chance be my security system? When should the light be flashing? Or should it ever come on at all when using my key?

The security system message or light should only come for a few seconds then go off at start
Try this turn the key to run and leave it there and see if the message or light goes off
If it don't then the pass lock system is worn

serprider
02-28-13, 08:37 PM
Dropped the tank today, tested the fuel pump and she was dead.. Thanks guys!

the cadillac man
02-28-13, 09:38 PM
Dropped the tank today, tested the fuel pump and she was dead.. Thanks guys!

Glad to help