: What kind of gas in 2013 SRX??

Whistlingdixiee
02-26-13, 04:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on what type of gas to use in my 2013
Performance SRX. I think I read that regular unleaded gasoline is recommended, but should
you use premium if you can? Or would that be a waste? TIA

st4422
02-26-13, 05:42 PM
The engine in your 2013 SRX is tuned to run on regular unleaded. There is no benefit to using higher octane fuel. This has been widely discussed elsewhere on these forums. Save the money and spend it on some nice accessories.:)

adamjeeps
02-26-13, 07:16 PM
I would add to use a top tier gasoline from this list:

www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

If you can find it in ethanol-free and the price is not too high, even better.

carbeck
02-26-13, 08:41 PM
If you can find it in ethanol-free and the price is not too high, even better.

Waste of time. 2012 and newer SRXs can take up to E85. Avoiding ethanol won't help a thing.

Find a top tier retailer and use 87, or 89 if the price is equal or less.

adamjeeps
02-26-13, 08:54 PM
Waste of time. 2012 and newer SRXs can take up to E85. Avoiding ethanol won't help a thing.

Find a top tier retailer and use 87, or 89 if the price is equal or less.

We will have to agree to disagree on the ethanol. It is a fact the more ethanol content gasoline will result in poorer gas mileage. And I don't know where you would find 89 octane cheaper than 87.

carbeck
02-26-13, 09:33 PM
We will have to agree to disagree on the ethanol. It is a fact the more ethanol content gasoline will result in poorer gas mileage. And I don't know where you would find 89 octane cheaper than 87.

Where I live, the only top tier provider has 87 and 89 for the same price. Both have 10% ethanol. Non-top tier stations have 89 with ethanol and 87 without it. The 89 is cheaper.

Cross the state line, and the same top tier provider charges more for the 89, and non-top tier stations have ethanol 89 and non-ethanol 87 for the same price. Apparently we get a discount on this side for having ethanol in the fuel.

adamjeeps
02-26-13, 11:37 PM
In Virginia, and nearby West Virginia, we have 87, 89, and 93. Nearly all are 10% ethanol. The 89 is about 10-15 cents more and the 93 is about 40 cents higher than 87. You can find 87 and 93 ethanol free scattered about. It usually runs 10-20 cents higher than the 10%.

Huey Driver
02-27-13, 08:30 AM
Top Tier is required to have between 8% & 10% ethanol, if I read the specs right.
I make no judgement about the value of the Top Tier program. I suppose it could be argued the same as dino vs syn oil or even 3k oil changes vs OLMS. However, I tend to stick with name brand gasoline, and find that Top Tier is available and competitively priced. All things being equal, and the recommendation in the users manual to use it, I figure I at least have a little of an upper hand with the service dept if I ever have any fuel issues if I can confidently say its all I've ever used.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-27-13, 10:10 AM
Good morning Whistlingdixiee,
It is recommended to use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 or higher in the 2013 SRX. Per the manual, E85 (85% ethanol) and other fuels containing more than 15% ethanol must be used only in flex fuel vehicles.
I hope this is helpful for you!
Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

a1994114a
07-04-16, 01:56 PM
Fuel
Use of the recommended fuel is an
important part of the proper
maintenance of this vehicle. When
driving in the U.S. and Canada, to
help keep the engine clean and
maintain optimum vehicle
performance, we recommend using
TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines.
See www.toptiergas.com for a list of
TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines.
Use regular unleaded gasoline
meeting ASTM specification D4814
with a posted octane rating of 87 or
higher. Do not use gasoline with an
octane rating below 87, as it may
cause engine damage and will lower
fuel economy.
Use of Seasonal Fuels
Use summer and winter fuels in the
appropriate season. The fuels
industry automatically modifies the
fuel for the appropriate season.
If fuel is left in the vehicle tank for
long periods of time, driving or
starting could be affected. Drive the
vehicle until the fuel is at one-half
tank or less, then refuel with the
current seasonal fuel.
Prohibited Fuels
Gasolines containing oxygenates
such as ethers and ethanol, as well
as reformulated gasolines, are
available in some cities. If these
gasolines comply with the
previously described specification,
then they are acceptable to use.
However, E85 (85% ethanol) and
other fuels containing more than
15% ethanol must be used only in
FlexFuel vehicles.
{Caution
Do not use fuel containing
methanol. It can corrode metal
parts in the fuel system and also
damage plastic and rubber parts.
That damage would not be
covered under the vehicle
warranty.
Some gasolines, mainly high octane
racing gasolines, can contain an
octane-enhancing additive called
methylcyclopentadienyl manganese
tricarbonyl (MMT). Do not use
gasolines and/or fuel additives with
MMT as they can reduce spark plug
life and affect emission control
system performance. The
malfunction indicator lamp may turn
on. If this occurs, see your dealer
for service.

My ignorance. I completely didn't understand what number of fuel should be used by reading the 2013 SRX Manual.

MI-SRX
07-04-16, 02:10 PM
...2012 and newer SRXs can take up to E85.....
Not true. It may be only '12 and '13 model years. I know my '14 specifically says not to use E85 - don't know about '15 and '16.

jbeez
08-04-16, 09:00 AM
I have a 2013 SRX and I've been noticing a ping or knock under load, going up hills or when I first hit the gas pedal. It's got about 20,000 miles on it. I'm using 87 octane gasoline, and it happens but less when using 89 octane, and I don't hear it with 93. The owners manual says if it does that with 87 in to service the engine. I went to the dealer for an oil change and had them check this out they just told me I should be using 93 and suggested a $100 fuel system cleaning service. When I contact cad service on twitter they just refer me to a dealer.... wtf?

Submariner409
08-04-16, 09:19 AM
Dealership upselling. What does your owner's manual say about fueling????

The 87 is perfectly fine for quiet daily driving. If you have a lead foot, tow trailers or do mountain driving I would routinely run 91/93.

A slight rattle at acceleration or throttle application at speed may well be due to a dirty EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve pintle or passages. Use a Top Tier gasoline (Google it) and try a 20 oz. bottle of Chevron TECHRON at your next fill-up.

When was the last time you took the car to the boondocks, with a tank of 91/93, and engaged in an hour of "spirited acceleration and deceleration"?

jbeez
08-04-16, 11:55 AM
It primarily my wife's vehicle. She drives it mostly to and from work with eco mode on. That said we used it for a 12hr road trip to Maine in June and I drove part of the trip, I had a few spirited sessions on some open expanses of road. It's also when I first noticed the pinging.

Well aware of what stations sell top tier gasoline. We purchased this certified preowned a few months ago this year, and have no idea what kind of gas the previous owner used in it. I'll be running a bottle of BG44k through it when it gets here. For now I have 93 octane in it(from Exxon).

KRDCAD
08-04-16, 02:03 PM
I'll be running a bottle of BG44k through it when it gets here.

Good stuff. I expect regular Tecron use will also help. You should not have to use any higher octane than 87

Submariner409
08-04-16, 03:53 PM
Good stuff. I expect regular Tecron use will also help. You should not have to use any higher octane than 87

TECHRON is a powerful fuel system cleaner and its owner-additive use is recommended by Chevron and GM ("GM Fuel System Cleaner") only once in 5,000 miles or more. It is also a component of TopTier gasolines, sold as a bulk additive under license from Chevron.

I try to sell more snake oils than TECHRON because I get more kickback on the heavily marketed brands. (Google "spiff")

While TECHRON has some sort of proprietary cleaning agent in addition to other components, ALL of these cleaners are nothing more than witches' brews of Stoddard solvent, naphtha, mineral oils, paint thinners, and alcohols.

jbeez
08-11-16, 11:28 AM
BG 44k shipment arrived last night, I put a bottle in the SRX tank and filled the rest of the tank with shell 93 vpower. Also put a bottle in my taurus SHO yesterday after topping it off with some exxon 93 on the way home from work. Taurus already seems to be running smoother. Will report back on the SRX after I run through this tank and put some 87 in it, see if it still pings, prob next week time frame.

ce8204
08-11-16, 12:12 PM
BG 44K is a great product, I use it about twice a year!