: Add navigation to cue

vinnyfe
02-26-13, 12:25 PM
Hi, I have cue in my ats, but do not have navigation or the weather like I seen in some of the cars at the auto show. Does anyone know if it's a simple upgrade that they would have to program into cue and/or how would I go about getting it. Any info would be appreciated.

mikesul
02-26-13, 04:38 PM
I asked my dealer at delivery and the answer I got was no. Offered to pay the money and it just wasn't available.

RippyPartsDept
02-26-13, 04:52 PM
it can probably be done (just like anything is possible with enough resources)
but you'd spend more money (and a ton of time) blazing that trail
the alternative is to trade for one with CUE
you would lose money but not as much as trying to figure out how to add it to the car
plus, if you mod the car you're voiding the warranty

TL;DR - maybe, but if it was possible what would be the cost in time, money, and sanity? do you want to blaze that trail?

Hoosier Daddy
02-26-13, 05:35 PM
Like already posted, it would likely be very time consuming. And if your car is a Standard Collection its likely Cadillac engineered in roadblocks to make it even harder to make sure buyers pay for at least "Luxury" if they wanted Nav. And even if you did get it to work, it may be impossible to get map updates for it because I heard the maps are updated by the dealer; if true whatever they hook it up to to do that will likely check to see if the VIN came with Nav. Then there is the issue of intellectual property. You can own the hardware but it would be illegal in this day and age to use the maps because neither you or Cadillac would have paid to use them in your car.

It still sounds like an interesting project. I was involved with defeating Ford roadblocks to retrofit some options. We succeeded but spent a LOT of hours doing it.

mikesul
02-26-13, 10:28 PM
Just use onstar Directions and Connections. You really don't need nav if you keep this service going.

Hoosier Daddy
02-27-13, 07:51 AM
Just use onstar Directions and Connections. You really don't need nav if you keep this service going.
For anyone who's used that: what happens if you have to or accidentally leave the route? I'm guessing you would have to ask for new directions. If you get off route and can circle back to the original route will it pick up from there automatically? Are the On-star directions asked of a human or a voice recognition system at the other end?

turbo2.0
02-27-13, 10:41 AM
I have been working very hard with no luck on adding Nav to a CUE that didnt come with it. The only thing that gives me any hope is that Cadillac said it will be an open market for adding apps to the system which makes me think maybe a google map add could be added.

RippyPartsDept
02-27-13, 12:14 PM
there may be some sort of non-compete in their NAVTEQ contract that would not allow another map app
i wouldn't be surprised

Rozay619
02-27-13, 02:19 PM
I used my onstar for directions this past Saturday for the first time, you do in fact speak with a live person and they confirm the address, i didn't even have to give the rep a city they already had it! When i went a different direction then what was displayed it adjusted the route. The vehicles do have GPS so it makes sense that navigation could be re-routed if you get off track or lost... IMO it wouldn't make sense to have to call OnStar back if you missed an exit or made a right instead of a left, or vise versa.

Hoosier Daddy
02-27-13, 02:38 PM
.....IMO it wouldn't make sense to have to call OnStar back if you missed an exit or made a right instead of a left, or vise versa.

Thanks a lot for describing your experience. Actually it could make perfect sense to have to get new directions. I've seen it described as turn-by-turn directions being downloaded to the car. If the directions are all downloaded up front, GPS or not, the car wouldn't know how to get back to the route once off it. But based on your experience, on-star must continue to monitor your location and recalculate when you go off route.

That's great. Especially if directions are included in the basic on-star service price once the free on-star expires.

RippyPartsDept
02-27-13, 03:53 PM
turn-by-turn just means that it just gives you the directions turn-by-turn
(it's not really downloading them to the car then going off that list)
it acts just like the regular nav would but only gives you the directions turn-by-turn

rspitler
02-27-13, 05:15 PM
Turn by turn works by first talking to Onstar advisor. They send the directions to your car which in my dads CTS, showed up in his DIC. We got off the route and the system asked me to pause the route or continue later. When we started moving again, the system recalculated and got us right back on track. And I believe you can ask to recalculate and any time.

mikesul
02-27-13, 05:48 PM
Thanks for that reply. I never have used it before even though I had a free year in my last three GM cars. After the first year it loses this function unless you renew it.

drsketch
02-27-13, 11:29 PM
You can also just download the onstar app to your phone(if you have a smart phone) and load the destination from there and send it to your car. Sometimes I personally just dont care to talk to anyone.

CADILLACATS2013
12-16-13, 06:27 PM
FYI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCwBXROKBaA

Chrispy
12-17-13, 09:36 AM
Is there CUE integration with the NAV in your smartphone?

Bertha D Blues
12-17-13, 01:36 PM
Just for fun I started nav in my phone and set CUE input to bluetooth. Turn-by-turn instructions came over the car speakers. Unfortunately, I couldn’t play music at the same time. Bert

Fraggy
12-19-13, 12:37 AM
When plugged in, I was able to have music and turn by turn directions. Map display onscreen would be perfect.

Johnm05
12-19-13, 06:37 AM
Just for fun I started nav in my phone and set CUE input to bluetooth. Turn-by-turn instructions came over the car speakers. Unfortunately, I couldn’t play music at the same time. Bert

That is because you are using the normal maps from your phone using Bluetooth . Try the on star app it has it's own maps and you can upload a destination to your vehicle. Then you will be able to listen to any music source. You can actually flip between them all without being lock to Bluetooth.

Ragtop 99
12-19-13, 10:30 AM
That is because you are using the normal maps from your phone using Bluetooth . Try the on star app it has it's own maps and you can upload a destination to your vehicle. Then you will be able to listen to any music source. You can actually flip between them all without being lock to Bluetooth.

OnStar and XM traffic are not free. I'd like to have Google Maps come through the display. In DC, Google traffic is much more detailed (i.e. main roads have traffic info) than XM, which only shows highways (or am I missing a setting).

boywondrr
01-06-14, 11:47 PM
Hey was following this thread just bought an ats luxury edition missed out on the nav because I bought a demo really wanted one thought my search brought me here ***** theres a video of the process of unlocking the factory nav they will even send the gps unit to you no price on the site but I am going to inquire. Was wondering if anyone has tried this out??

Thanks

Moderator edit: removed link to 3rd party vendor in member's first post.