: Diffrence from 2000 and 2006 northstar engine?

ISHDAROCK
02-26-13, 10:33 AM
Hello there everyone, thanks in advance for looking at my thread. I am interested in buyin a 06 dts but I'm hesitant because of all my prior northstar issues with my 2000 such as the typical overheating and headgasket issues I had which lead to my block cracking. I love caddys but I do not want the same headache I had going into an 06 dts. Can someone tell me the main diffrences between engines because I know some changes were made to the newer engines. Do they overheat? What are some issues to expect and is it goimg to cost me a fortune to maintain? I was looking @ a 06 DTS with 90k for $8,500......let me know yyour advise and opinions guys...thanks again

Ranger
02-26-13, 11:15 AM
Not sure if there where any changes to the '06 or not, but GM lengthened the head bolts in 2000 and went to a coarser thread pitch in '04. HG failures after that have been rather rare to the best of my knowledge.

ISHDAROCK
02-26-13, 11:56 AM
Thanks Ranger. My worst fear would be another head gasket failure. I want to really be sure of any new engine specs in the 06 but I've been coming up short with info I've been seeing online. I will continue to research but I as well have been told that 05 and up northstars do not have overheating issues. Do you know of any other issues or diffrences in the newer engines?. Thanks again buddy.....

Ranger
02-26-13, 02:42 PM
I would not be worried about an 05+. I'm not aware of any issues.

Submariner409
03-01-13, 12:50 PM
A 2006 "DTS" is not, in any way, a 2003 Deville Touring Sedan. The later "DTS" is a different car and a cruel joke by GM.

ISHDAROCK
03-02-13, 02:33 PM
Why do you say the 06 is a cruel joke Submariner? Please let me know before I purchase one.

Submariner409
03-03-13, 11:41 AM
Opinion - perhaps not quite a "cruel joke" as much as a play on the real DTS model name - After the last Deville (2004/5 ???) the "DTS" replaced the Deville name and the whole car changed. I haven't driven one yet..they look quite different from a Deville, some say the interior is not as 'elegant' as earlier models, and didn't the engine(s) get de-rated ? You can get a new model "DTS" in several levels of trim and options.

Engine power ratings notwithstanding, the true COP and better head bolt design are a plus in the later "DTS".

Regardless, a fully loaded 2003 DTS is a dream car for the long hauls.

blackonblacklac00
03-10-13, 06:08 PM
I have a 2004 DTS and I had another before and I never had any problems with overheating or anything to do with a head gasket problem. there were changes made to some amount of the 2004 northstars and then were made to all the 2005 models, there's a way to check if a 2004 deville has the updated northstar. It's somewhere in the deville threads. I'd personally stick with a late 2004 or 2005 DTS.

2006+ DTS's are a piss off for me. Every other high end auto maker usually steps up on the next generation Cadillac messed up with the 06 dts.

I could take my dts and compare it to a 2004 S-class or 7 series and they all come close. I wouldn't even try to compare the 06+ dts to any of those.

bigtone
03-11-13, 04:40 PM
In the last year, we made the switch from Devilles to DTS's. I owned 7 Devilles total, with 4 being 2001-05. The Devilles were more of the traditional Cadillac ride and feel, but the DTS's have a more modern feel (good or bad, that's up to the owner). In my opinion, the DTS looks better, handles better, and got all the later refinements of the Northstar engine, and among other improvements better brakes. Yes, the dash and steering wheel switches are from Chevrolet, and do not seem as rich. One thing nobody mentions is the the sticker price dropped between the Devilles and DTS's in return for the use of the corporate hardware. Bottom line, to each their own, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Ludacrisvp
03-11-13, 07:45 PM
Basically I like the outside and engine of the DTS (however the Deville DTS has better fog lamps), and the inside of the Deville DTS.