: GM switches to AT&T from Verizon for OnStar wireless service

pkadanec
02-26-13, 10:17 AM
Jeeze... Now i will have to get a 2015 model.... :)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/25/us-mobile-world-att-idUSBRE91O07520130225

glenroebuck
08-08-13, 08:54 AM
Honestly I don't see that as a win. Verizon has the largest LTE network in the us. AT&T has the worst record for dropped lost calls. What is going to really stink is I am pretty sure they are going to charge a lot for data plans in cars. In addition they will probably tie maps and real time traffic data to a data plan rather than stored on the device. Sounds great, all up to date data all the time but...that is a constant always on data connection. If you read the article is states at&t is looking for ways to make money...given how much they charge for data now on phones....ick.

If I were head of gm or Cadillac - I would drop all this CUE proprietary development - work up a data only plan for my cars and give the option of a ipad mini or snexus 7 as the interface. Standard size just mounted horizontally in the car. (I would actually lean more towards Nexus as you can skin it on top of android ala phones - think HTC sense or Galaxy skins). That way you can do SIP for phone/onstar for voice - and have real time data sent to them - nexus has a camera built in front - so skype or Qik - email on your car - full access to Play Music. A million + apps they can dl and use - there is a huge development community for android so apps a plenty would come out for cars (if standard across GM).

pkadanec
08-08-13, 10:16 AM
This will give you a better idea of what GM has planned. I am not going to get into a debate on which carrier is better, that is subjective based on where you live and what you do with your mobile devices. I think the proposed technology opens up a lot of possibilities. I for one am excited to see what they will do with it...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/att-4g-lte-brings-live-tv-apps-and-more-to-g-m-vehicles

glenroebuck
08-08-13, 02:00 PM
I understand what they have planned but..always on lte data is going to be expensive, they charge by the MB over a certain limit. Streaming tv or music eats a lot of bandwidth. I just never understood the reason to re-invent the wheel. Apple and Goole make excellent tablets - Google being the more open platform. Why create and develop CUE, Mylink, the buick one...one general GM skin on a 7" platform. There is already an app store, lte connectivity, tethering etc..an open platform would allow you to choose a data provider and plan , just insert a sim- Heck they should allow tethering of your cell phone right now to the cues..i already pay for a data plan why should I have to pay for a data plan for my phone, one for my car etc..The cue should have atleast had wifi built in to connect to a hotspot or starbucks..

CDN XTS
08-12-13, 08:51 PM
Ah, that's maybe while I run into some problems. Got dropped yesterday once and to-day twice, just after OnStar came on. then the other issue when trying to phone my wife I reported in another thread.

glenroebuck
08-13-13, 08:36 AM
if you have a 2013 you shoud still be on verizon for onstar

pkadanec
08-14-13, 09:22 AM
glenroebuck is correct. the planned change is not until the 2015 model year (at least that is what the article said). I also remember reading that 2013 and above would be "upgradable" to the new technology. Not sure how that will work since they are completely different technologies used (CDMA vs. LTE)