: New, old Eldo guy to this site

Jack M
01-03-05, 09:22 PM
Well, an old pro poster on the HT4100 Exchange recommended this site to me, so here I am - Hopeful of learning much more about our favorite car in general, and the Eldorado model in particular.

I've owned four Eldos: '85, '89. 95 and '01. And currently have the '01, which is an ETC, and the '85, which is a Biarritz, both fully-loaded. I bought the '85 off an Ebay auction a month or so ago primarily because it's the best-looking Eldo ever built (IMHO), and I've wanted one since they came out 20 years ago. An extra incentive was a factory replacement engine (4.1 liter) was installed 6,000 miles ago, along with an a/c compressor and exhaust system, plus a rebuilt transmission. It was just too good of a deal to pass up, particularly since it's in near-collector grade condition, inside and out. I intend to keep it that way - hopefully with the help of this web site and the folks from it's many forums.

After I get some minor things settled on the latest acquistion, I'll make some contributions, as well.

Best regards, Jack M

ben72227
01-03-05, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the Cadillac Owners Forums! I'm also an avid fan of the Eldo and I love mine to death (even though she sometimes doesn't want to make it up a hill :devil: ). I also love the 85' model as it was the perfected Eldo. Just imagine what it could have became if Cadillac hadn't introduced that AWFUL '86 model :crying:

CADDYBLACK99
01-04-05, 09:23 AM
Welcome Jack!

Thanks for joining the forum! I have always had a soft spot for the eldo, truely an anerican luxury sports car! Good luck, when you get a chance post a picture or two. How was the ebay purchase experience? I have seen a couple of Fleetwoods that have my interest and are just curious about the whole process. Good luck!
:welcome:
Paul

Jack M
01-05-05, 01:09 AM
Paul,

Getting my '85 Eldo from an Ebay auction was a first time experience, and I must confess that I had a certain amount of worry about a long distance transaction where one pays a lot of money for something he doesn't have in hand. I could have flown 1,200 miles to pay and drive it back home, but elected to have it shipped for $500, which was less expensive and more convenient to me at the time. Myself and two others were in a bidding frenzy the final few hours of the auction, but I slipped in a winning max bid the last 30 seconds, which was $100 above the next highest guy. I probably bid a $1,000 more than I really wanted to, but I definitely wanted the car because, at 60,000 miles, it was gorgeous inside and out, and had those critical equipment items replaced 6,000 miles earlier. The story I got was that a 75 year old, 95 pound little old California lady owner spend nearly $5K on the replacements, which upset her 55 year old county sheriff son, who seriously questioned his mother and the need for it.

I felt confident about the car because of the extensive, very favorable write-up, but mainly because of the 12 multiple-angle photos the seller provided as part of the Ebay documentation.

I'm not sorry at all that I bought it, however I'm currently dealing with a relatively minor issue: Last week, my Cadillac dealer tried to pull up any problem codes, but the tech claimed he couldn't access the ECM system, and recommended that a $200 replacement display be installed. Before I do that, however, I'll try to pull up any problem codes - or, at least, access the system to confirm the tech's story. He could have mistakenly punched in the more recent system access buttons, rather than those for an '85. Ha! I've just given you an insight into my naturally suspicious nature.

At any rate, that was my Ebay experience - and hope that proves helpful if you should ever give the internet auction route a try.

Best regards, Jack M

CADDYBLACK99
01-05-05, 12:03 PM
Thanks Jack for the insite! I too am a total skeptic! I guess age and experience make that happen. I also use my "gut" to evaluate the situation, but there is no subsitute for good hard facts or information. I'm glad things worked out for you!
I anticipate a new spring "toy" :bouncy: is on the horizon for me (I better do my homework now)!
Paul