: New owner and first mod

silvergs
02-24-13, 11:09 PM
and it was a DIY..cost me 28 dollars and patience.
i was asked about tips, regrets, etc, so here they are along with pics!

1.Tape off fenders and headlights..so glad i did this..otherwise..my car would have lost some weight by way of paint chips.
2. the spray can has this red nozzle on the tip...this looks like a safety thing..but dont remove it..it will lead to crap spray...
3. i intended to make it lighter than it came out..but i love the way it looks.
4. i unintentionally forgot to mask off the chrome outline on the bottom grill...the top grill had a separate chrome outline, where as the bottom grill is one piece, grill and outline. however, i started to like it because the top half had the chrome outline with the emblem, and the bottom half still had the chrome ring on the foglights..so i thought it came out ok.
5. make sure you are patient in reinstalling the front bumper. i'm not a fan of misaligned body panels. take your time, make sure you dont break any tabs.
6. make sure you do not have any extra screws, tabs, etc.

all in all, it was a super easy, just be patient!

anyways, here are some pics.

tkracing
02-25-13, 08:34 AM
What did you use.... spray paint or plastidip?

thebigjimsho
02-25-13, 10:47 AM
If it's paint, we'll know soon enough.

silvergs
02-25-13, 06:31 PM
What did you use.... spray paint or plastidip?

I used duplicolor shadow paint

HUGN*RDS
02-28-13, 11:30 AM
I would guess using the wrong type of spray paint for this type of application would make a mess. Without scuffing up all surfaces of the grille for the paint to adhere to, normal paint would flake off. I suppose the OP used some type of special can paint made for molded plastic like the front grille. I wonder if the patio furnature spray is good for this type of stuff. Anyone have any suggestions?

tkracing
02-28-13, 11:58 AM
I would guess using the wrong type of spray paint for this type of application would make a mess. Without scuffing up all surfaces of the grille for the paint to adhere to, normal paint would flake off. I suppose the OP used some type of special can paint made for molded plastic like the front grille. I wonder if the patio furnature spray is good for this type of stuff. Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes that is correct, spray paint would just chip off in time. The stuff the OP used is fine or Plastidip will work as well. Not familiar with the outside furniture sprays??