: Tires- thoughts?

Scott2012
02-23-13, 05:40 PM
This summer I bought my V. It came with a great set of winter tires Michelin XICE size: 225/50R18.
Since I have decided not to drive my V in the winter, I plan to get rid of these tires and install some great tires for summer.
I'm probably going to go with stock size: 245/45/18

So far I've stopped at a few places and found Bridgestone Potenza re970 for about $200 each.

Anyone use these or have other recommendations?
I saw a thread where guys do a 275/40/18 on rear stock rims. Are there really any advantages? I do like the look of a wider tire :)

I will never take the car to the track. But I want great handling in rain, and quiet ride. Don't care about wear or warranty.

Thanks!

carlson_mn
02-23-13, 11:28 PM
Hey Scott,

I'll be going with General G-MAX AS-03. I am going to do size 255/45 as it's insignificantly larger than stock size but every bit helps. They are also only 26lbs which I like, compared to 28-30 for most others. I've been extremely pleased with a similar General tire before. They are $164ea at tire rack, which would come to about $200/ea after shipping and install. I'm guessing for non-track use they will return at least 30k miles even with our torque output. Being that we're in MN I think they will perform a bit better during the cooler / drier times compared to a strictly summer tire.

I'm sure there's a lot of tires that will work well. Those Generals do everything well considering I have separate snow tires as well.

I'm not a fan of the staggered sizes as being able to rotate tires front/back is paramount on a car like this unless you can afford to buy two rears for every front. 20mm aint gonna look much different either. To each their own there though, everybody has different goals.

dangrus
02-24-13, 10:49 AM
I put the Potenzas on this fall and they have been really good. I just had to get through some snow on Friday and they worked pretty good. Since you are not going to drive in winter, why are you looking at an All Season tire? You should be able to get way better performance out of a summer only tire.

Scott2012
02-24-13, 12:04 PM
I put the Potenzas on this fall and they have been really good. I just had to get through some snow on Friday and they worked pretty good. Since you are not going to drive in winter, why are you looking at an All Season tire? You should be able to get way better performance out of a summer only tire.

I'm not really sure- it was a sales person recommendation. I don't know a whole lot about tires.
But I do want the best I can get with in reason. Basically looking around 2-250 range per tire, needs to handle awesome, have great grip in dry and wet pavement. My V stays in the garage until the snow is gone, so don't care at all about handling in snow.

----------

Hey Scott,

I'll be going with General G-MAX AS-03. I am going to do size 255/45 as it's insignificantly larger than stock size but every bit helps. They are also only 26lbs which I like, compared to 28-30 for most others. I've been extremely pleased with a similar General tire before. They are $164ea at tire rack, which would come to about $200/ea after shipping and install. I'm guessing for non-track use they will return at least 30k miles even with our torque output. Being that we're in MN I think they will perform a bit better during the cooler / drier times compared to a strictly summer tire.

I'm sure there's a lot of tires that will work well. Those Generals do everything well considering I have separate snow tires as well.

I'm not a fan of the staggered sizes as being able to rotate tires front/back is paramount on a car like this unless you can afford to buy two rears for every front. 20mm aint gonna look much different either. To each their own there though, everybody has different goals.

Is this an all season tire? How does it do for handling in rain? And are thy quiet tires? Thanks much!

----------

Hey Scott,

Is this an all season tire? How does it do for handling in rain? And are thy quiet tires? Thanks much!

carlson_mn
02-24-13, 02:03 PM
That General tire was great in rain and gripped as well as any summer tire I have had. It was more comfortable and had negligible wear in 15k miles before selling my last car. Can't wait to put them on the V but I have a lot of tire yet to burn up currently on my rims.

RyRidesMotoX
02-24-13, 04:27 PM
Check out the Hankook RS3 tires.

JDB
02-24-13, 10:28 PM
start with researching www.tirerack.com

ONEBADCADDIE
02-27-13, 05:52 AM
I have a set of nitto nt555 245f and 275r These things grip great and I got them both sizes for under 200 a tire

vcaddy06
03-03-13, 06:51 PM
I'm about to buy my second set of BFG T/A KDW2. Currently I have 255/40 all around, but since it is no longer my dd, I'm going to 255/40 front and 275/40 rear. I swear by my bfgs. They advertised that it was/is the only radial street tire to pull more then 1g of grip on cornering.

SKEEL44
03-04-13, 12:29 AM
I'm about to buy my second set of BFG T/A KDW2. Currently I have 255/40 all around, but since it is no longer my dd, I'm going to 255/40 front and 275/40 rear. I swear by my bfgs. They advertised that it was/is the only radial street tire to pull more then 1g of grip on cornering.

I also have that tire and would highly recommend them!

barrok69
03-04-13, 12:40 AM
I'm running Michelin Pilot Super Sports (summer only tire). They are very comfortable, grip very good and handle rain with ease. I drove the car from Michigan to Florida and back in december ! Never ran into any issues with them. Temps got down to 32F. When I got back home there was some ice on my driveway and i couldn't get up it though. It made the 2000mile journey through thick and thin, but the last 30 ft were a no go. I had to shovel it before i could tuck it back in the garage where it belongs!

I had Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's before that and they were very good. The ride wasn't as good as the Super Sports though. I'm running 245/45R18 all around. I've run Bridgstone Potenza RE-11's on my other car and love those too. It was a toss up between the RE-11's and the Super Sports. Discount Tire just happened to have a mail in on Michelins at the time and i ended up getting the tires for $200 a piece. I'm happy with them, no complaints yet.

vcaddy06
03-04-13, 01:48 AM
The PS2's are a great tire. Very smooth, quiet, and great tread ware. Those come stock on the newer model Porsche. My father has them on his LS460. But they can be pricey.

AAIIIC
03-04-13, 09:28 AM
start with researching www.tirerack.com
Excellent suggestion.

I'm about to buy my second set of BFG T/A KDW2. I swear by my bfgs. They advertised that it was/is the only radial street tire to pull more then 1g of grip on cornering.
That was the KD, not the KDW, and that hasn't really been a valid claim for a number of years. There are a number of max and extreme performance tires that will easily outperform the KD - Hankook RS3s, Yoko AD08s, Dunlop Star Spec and ZII, BFG Rival, Nitto NT05, etc.

But I do want the best I can get with in reason. Basically looking around 2-250 range per tire, needs to handle awesome, have great grip in dry and wet pavement. My V stays in the garage until the snow is gone, so don't care at all about handling in snow.
There are plenty of options in that price range. I would advise you to stick with 245/45s all around. A number of good options drop off the list if you decide to go with 275/40s, not to mention it's always good to be able to rotate tires.

If you want fantastic performance in wet and dry along with a quiet ride, my suggestion would be to look at the Continental ExtremeContact DW, Michelin Pilot Super Sport, and Bridgestone S-04PP (in no particular order). The Michelin Pilot line (PS, PS2, and now PSS) has been the benchmark summer tire for years now - you pretty much can't go wrong with them. The DW and the S-04PP will give you 95% or more of the performance for 10-15% less cost (as you can see if you compare the prices on tirerack.com and look at Tire Rack's test results).

rand49er
03-04-13, 11:55 AM
... compare the prices on tirerack.com and look at Tire Rack's test results ...This is what I do. Their test results are easy to digest and really help you make the decision as they have several parameters (noise, wet perf, dry perf, etc) that they rate the tires on.

carlson_mn
03-04-13, 12:03 PM
Those are the combined ratings of people that own the tires which I think is a great way to get a good idea. Total mileage of the reviewers is on the chart too.

thebigjimsho
03-04-13, 02:02 PM

A Lotus Exige with Wal-Mart tires will hit 1G...

EdmundGTP
03-04-13, 03:01 PM
For a summer only tire, I think you'll have a hard time beating these for the price.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE760+Sport&partnum=54WR8RE760&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

The nice thing about an asymmetric tire, and running the same size at all 4 corners, is that you can do the traditional X-swap tire rotation instead of just swapping front to rear on each side of the vehicle.

If you run directional tires, and a different size front to back, then you can't rotate them at all.

Just a suggestion.

I've had these on my car in 255-40-18 for almost 2 years now and they've been great.

JD03Cobra
03-04-13, 03:12 PM
^^ That is a good price! Nice looking tire too

EdmundGTP
03-04-13, 03:23 PM
Another bonus to running same size asymmetrics is that, if you have a full size spare with matching tire, then you dont have to worry about which side of the car you're putting it on when a tire blows out. No extra wheel jockeying necessary. Just replace and go.

Scott2012
03-05-13, 12:45 AM
Thanks for all the great advice!

vcaddy06
03-12-13, 07:09 PM
Apparently I didn't give good advice, but good luck.