: Turbo Downpipe Development and Dyno results

Pfadt Engineering
02-22-13, 05:16 PM
At Pfadt, we know that you want to make more power, so we are developing a suite of products to get the most out of your ATS.

We developed our downpipe and put it up on the dyno last week.

You can see that it is much more tidy than the stock downpipe.

Installed it looks pretty sharp!

With the stock tune, the downpipe alone picked up as much as 15 hp from 5500 rpm up.

We are also working a Cold Air Intake, Intercooler, Turbo Upgrade, Stainless Steel Tubular Exhaust Manifold and some suspension pieces like coilovers and sway bars. Watch the Cadillac forums for more information.

-Aaron

Rozay619
02-22-13, 06:17 PM
Downpipe looks very nice!!! Glad to see another company working on ATS performance, looking forward to seeing more from pfadt!!!

mikesul
02-23-13, 09:03 AM
Excellent news! There will be a high flow cat option right? Is any heat shielding needed as is seen on the stock d-p? Looking forward to your developments.

bungee91
02-23-13, 11:53 AM
I'm excited to hear of your developments, and the DP looks great.

It is unfortunate the TQ curve falls off significantly after 4500 RPM (talking stock here mainly), this can certainly be felt while driving my ATS.
I'm looking forward to hearing of updates.

FDNY-L107
02-23-13, 02:21 PM
Excellent news indeed! My credit card is standing by! :)

----------

Not to highjack the thread, just loaded my tune from Vinca at Trificta. The car now pulls hard through 6,500 and the slight off idle hesitation is gone.

----------

Maybe I'm missing something, but you basically just removed the cat, which by the gains indicated, would be reasonable. I would be very interested to here if you tripped a code with that pipe. Unless you turn off the rear O2 sensor, that sure looks like you will trip a code.

Pfadt Engineering
02-23-13, 07:18 PM
Thanks so much for the comments guys! We are excited to start releasing new products ASAP during our venture into the ATS platform. Cadillac has been making fantastic cars for a very long time and our company now has the resources to bring some upgrades to the table for you guys. Trust me when I say we are happy to be here and joining the Cadillac community.

Yes we will have a high flow cat option. Heat shielding should not be required because we have large clearances, even with a cat.

Our current target sees parts shipping in as little as 6 weeks. We will announce when we are taking pre-orders very soon. If anyone wants to make sure they are on the top of the pre-order list, I will personally take your information on the phone and follow up with you when the parts are ready for shipment. You can give me a call at 888.972.2464, or email at blair@pfadtracing.com. We are glad to help.

Our ATS is currently staying warm inside the shop here at our SLC HQ. Medium sized snowstorm past couple of days. Can't wait to get it back out and on the road!

-Blair[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

Maybe I'm missing something, but you basically just removed the cat, which by the gains indicated, would be reasonable. I would be very interested to here if you tripped a code with that pipe. Unless you turn off the rear O2 sensor, that sure looks like you will trip a code.

It didn't trip during that Dyno test, and we ran that with the 100% stock tune for a true comparison. With that said, the potential existed that it would have eventually, so we disabled it in the tune and that is how we are running the car now. We will offer a hi flow catted version (to maintain gains) so that will not be an issue for someone who does not want to install a tune.

-Blair

1stGOAT
02-24-13, 01:26 PM
Excellent news indeed! My credit cars is standing by! :)

----------

Not to highjack the thread, just loaded my tune from Vinca at Trificta. The car now pulls hard through 6,500 and the slight off idle hesitation is gone.

----------

I am interested in the tune. I have always used software tunes on my Audi and VW cars with no problems with great results. How do I contact this guy/company.

03firebolt9r
02-24-13, 01:31 PM
There are a couple of threads on here with their contact info.

Rozay619
02-25-13, 12:16 PM
I am interested in the tune. I have always used software tunes on my Audi and VW cars with no problems with great results. How do I contact this guy/company.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/273091-bad-news-racing-trifecta-performance-begin.html

this is just one of them!!

FDNY-L107
02-25-13, 03:09 PM
It would also be great if you could also offer this pipe coated. If not, I plan to have it coated by Jet Hot.

Thanks!

Pfadt Engineering
03-06-13, 10:54 AM
Hey FDNY, we will probably leave the coating process up to our customers. There are a lot of coatings out there, some are better than others and offer other advantages. We will be more than happy to recommend a coating company, or drop ship to them. Just an FYI!

Neuroleptic
03-06-13, 06:42 PM
Would this void the warranty?

Pfadt Engineering
04-10-13, 03:21 PM
unfortunately, it is likely. Especially the non-catted version.

TMAC2000
04-10-13, 10:26 PM
This is great news, I am happy to see a company putting the time in to bringing products out for the ATS Turbo. I too come from the VW/Audi/BMW world so I am used to having tons of options to pick from. I have owned my ATS for less than 2 weeks and it still has less than 375 miles on it. During that time I have been reading all I can for ways to increase HP and drivability of the car.
I will stay tuned to your threads and look forward to updates.

Stevo Supremo
04-10-13, 10:50 PM
Would this void the warranty?

well yeah if you leave it on when you go in.. and that's assuming they even notice during something like an oil change

the once in a blue moon its gotta go to the dealership just toss the stock DP back on, should take more than 20-30 minutes.

Pfadt Engineering
04-11-13, 11:00 AM
This is great news, I am happy to see a company putting the time in to bringing products out for the ATS Turbo. I too come from the VW/Audi/BMW world so I am used to having tons of options to pick from. I have owned my ATS for less than 2 weeks and it still has less than 375 miles on it. During that time I have been reading all I can for ways to increase HP and drivability of the car.
I will stay tuned to your threads and look forward to updates.

Thanks for the comments. We are full-on with our power products right now as you can imagine. The Cadillac ATS program has been priority 1 for us.

alpha1beta6
05-18-13, 04:20 AM
What size is the downpipe?

kmb32687
05-18-13, 11:38 AM
How hard is it to install it? If it's easy, I will buy it. I can always switch it back to stock before take it to dealership.

bravnik
05-18-13, 10:38 PM
Same question. How hard is it for the common home garage mechanic to install? I know on my old MS3 it was a royal PITA to install.

mikesul
05-19-13, 01:23 PM
Pricing and availability please!

Pfadt Engineering
05-20-13, 06:22 PM
We've got the complete kit released. I am having a meeting tomorrow to hammer out the individual prices so you guys can just grab some parts. The goal was to put a kit together that was perfect from the start so we focused on that first. I can see the value of adding individual components though.....lets talk in a few day!

ebomb321
06-19-13, 09:30 AM
We've got the complete kit released. I am having a meeting tomorrow to hammer out the individual prices so you guys can just grab some parts. The goal was to put a kit together that was perfect from the start so we focused on that first. I can see the value of adding individual components though.....lets talk in a few day!

Hi, any update on this?

thanks!

mikesul
06-19-13, 10:24 AM
There are at least two other sources that will have D-P's available. We should have a choice of suppliers real soon. With Pfadt, BNR, and V-Tuner in the marketplace we will have a choice.

turbo2.0
06-19-13, 11:42 AM
While you do have a choice, I want to make sure that you all know how great it is to work with the Pfadt group. I have been running their prototype DP for a couple of weeks now and it is just amazing. I finally took the intake system off of my car that another vender had sent me and I can tell you first had this product is ideal for a daily driver. I am using the cat less version and there is no interior drone nor do I sound like your average Honda Prelude driving down the street. With the factory exhaust it is honestly just a hair louder that factory but not enought to really discuss. The install is fairly simple, but taking the factory nuts off of the turbo takes some serious freeze off or equivelent. I have seen these guys run their car at the Texas Mile and I can tell you first hand they show a true passion for what they do, and I can't wait to continue business with them in the future.

FDNY-L107
06-19-13, 12:36 PM
Understanding that this is now prime racing season and everyone is very busy indeed, but an update (i.e. actual date), to when this pipe will be available to order, I would think, is not too much to ask for.

Pfadt Engineering
06-19-13, 04:27 PM
While you do have a choice, I want to make sure that you all know how great it is to work with the Pfadt group. I have been running their prototype DP for a couple of weeks now and it is just amazing. I finally took the intake system off of my car that another vender had sent me and I can tell you first had this product is ideal for a daily driver. I am using the cat less version and there is no interior drone nor do I sound like your average Honda Prelude driving down the street. With the factory exhaust it is honestly just a hair louder that factory but not enought to really discuss. The install is fairly simple, but taking the factory nuts off of the turbo takes some serious freeze off or equivelent. I have seen these guys run their car at the Texas Mile and I can tell you first hand they show a true passion for what they do, and I can't wait to continue business with them in the future.

Appreciated. Not all parts are made equally, and we are just about the only true engineering company left still manufacturing 100% in the US. Look forward to seeing you next year at the mile

----------

We have pipes ready. The tricky thing is, we have to produce enough parts to supply all of our vendors first before we start shipping direct sales. We're manufacturing like crazy, so you should be able to buy one in a few weeks! Now, I can look into taking pre-orders at special pricing for anyone who is willing to wait a little. Let me know guys!

ewired
06-19-13, 06:19 PM
Sent you an pm.

Pfadt Engineering
07-16-13, 02:08 PM
Here are some pics of the downpipe installed!
Stock:
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag124/pfadtracing/StockDownpipe_zpsbdfd3856.jpeg (http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/pfadtracing/media/StockDownpipe_zpsbdfd3856.jpeg.html)
Catted
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag124/pfadtracing/PfadtCattedDownpipe_zpsbcc0e8eb.jpeg (http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/pfadtracing/media/PfadtCattedDownpipe_zpsbcc0e8eb.jpeg.html)
Non-Catted
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag124/pfadtracing/PfadtNon-catDownpipe_zps485048b9.jpeg (http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/pfadtracing/media/PfadtNon-catDownpipe_zps485048b9.jpeg.html)

mikesul
07-16-13, 03:11 PM
Very neat job. Mine arrives tomorrow and hope to have it on this week.

Hoosier Daddy
07-16-13, 07:49 PM
I can't tell you how MUCH posting pictures like those are appreciated. Whoops. I just did.

Pfadt Engineering
07-17-13, 11:14 AM
I'll get some more stuff posted soon including a dyno video!