: Upgrading to 2008 and up Keyless Entry Remote

CadillacVogue
02-22-13, 12:19 AM
Hey guys, Ive done some searching throughout the forum regarding this topic but couldn't find any definitive answers. Basically Im looking to upgrade my boring 2006 DTS FOB to the 2008 and up style. A few of the threads I found on this topic said they work but as far as I can tell there are 2 types; the one that is only a keyless entry, and one that has the flip key in it. I would like to buy the latter as it would be nice to only have to carry the FOB around instead of a set of keys. Has anyone had any experience with this?

grullon10
02-22-13, 12:44 AM
I think they are not the same the compures are different. You may have to change the antena and the control module for it. You still have to carry you keys to keep the car on and also after 2 remote star you need to star it with the key. To cicle the system. Remenbe this are not push botton cars.

CadillacVogue
02-22-13, 01:11 AM
Sorry I think you misunderstood in regards to only carrying the FOB. One of the Keyless entry's for 2008 and up has a flip key in it, meaning there is an actual key within the FOB that flips out when you press a button. Thus you wouldn't have to carry a bare key along with the FOB. Heres what I know, the regular 2008 on up FOB without the built in flip key works with 2006-07. Ive read this in the forums here and have seen it on a few other sites. I have also read in another thread that the FOB with the flip key possibly won't work; the person didn't give an explanation, but just reading that makes me want to confirm this with someone who has tried it before I go ahead and purchase it.

grullon10
02-22-13, 06:19 PM
Ok I got now the fob has a internal key. To change the fob from 06 07 to the new one you still have to change both the antena and the control module and the connectors. It will not be cheap.

HartfordGuy
02-22-13, 09:59 PM
You can upgrade to the newer square remotes easily. No antenna or module change. No dealer visit either. The instructions how to program the new remotes are in your owners manual.

I do not believe the "key inside the remote" type are interchangeable though. But I know the regular ones will work as I did the upgrade myself on my 07 DTS. I hated those oval remotes. They looked too Chevy like to me.

5.0 lsc
02-22-13, 10:28 PM
Yes Hartford Guy i second that. I didnt even bother to mess around with the remote that has the pullout key. I bought a new remote for less than $100 new on ebay and it programmed in 1 Minute. I also got the full color key haha. The old remotes are horrible, disgrace to the DTS.

grullon10
02-22-13, 11:17 PM
I thought tha you could not up grade I ask some one before and they told me that couldn't be done I'm up grading also.

HASSAN4477
02-23-13, 11:11 AM
The new dts fob doesn't have and internal key I don't know where that came from All u need is the car and a new style dts fob that's it you can program it through the information center just make sure u do all the fobs at once and your done

BIGDADDYCADDY07
02-24-13, 10:01 PM
ok the square fobs without the key will work the ones with the key may work but i doubt it because the one with the key is a keyless remote does not have a chip for pass 3 security system the key is to let you unlock the door not start the car that remote belongs to a push to start system so no is the answer

CadillacVogue
02-25-13, 09:43 PM
Thank you all for your answers. I agree the 06-07 Fob is very ugly. Its a small detail that shouldn't really matter, but has always bothered me. Ill be going with the regular square one without the internal key.