: Navigation Update

Txao1051
02-21-13, 09:16 PM
I was wondering if i updated my navigation system with the latest cd, would it also update the Operating system as well? Is there a way to update the operating system/program it/personallize it?

Thanks in advance?

the cadillac man
02-21-13, 11:30 PM
I was wondering if i updated my navigation system with the latest cd, would it also update the Operating system as well? Is there a way to update the operating system/program it/personallize it?

Thanks in advance?

The maps disc is nav only so the radio software is untouched there is a way but it would take a lot of work
Plus the labor and time involved would be better put towards a car pc(which btw is wicked) I had a radio that ran windows ce and it worked great but the radio has died and I haven't had the chance or time to fix it(if I do fix it I will upgrade the amp chips in it)

Txao1051
02-23-13, 09:10 AM
The maps disc is nav only so the radio software is untouched there is a way but it would take a lot of work
Plus the labor and time involved would be better put towards a car pc(which btw is wicked) I had a radio that ran windows ce and it worked great but the radio has died and I haven't had the chance or time to fix it(if I do fix it I will upgrade the amp chips in it)

How would you put in a car pc?

the cadillac man
02-23-13, 10:31 AM
How would you put in a car pc?

It's almost like building a computer for home use just have to adapt it to use in the truck and also have to use a special software interface to be able to use it

There is a few sites online(I have thought of doing this myself since I am good with computers I just don't have the time nor do I feel like give up the stock nav just yet) do a google search on carputer or car pc there is a lot of people doing this most of them use a older Mac mini(with intel processor) because it is a small machine with a DVD drive.

Just keep in mind that you will need a interface for the truck for the audio and the steering wheel controls
I may someday get into doing something like this but not now although I don't mind helping anyone who does

Txao1051
02-23-13, 11:25 AM
It's almost like building a computer for home use just have to adapt it to use in the truck and also have to use a special software interface to be able to use it

There is a few sites online(I have thought of doing this myself since I am good with computers I just don't have the time nor do I feel like give up the stock nav just yet) do a google search on carputer or car pc there is a lot of people doing this most of them use a older Mac mini(with intel processor) because it is a small machine with a DVD drive.

Just keep in mind that you will need a interface for the truck for the audio and the steering wheel controls
I may someday get into doing something like this but not now although I don't mind helping anyone who does

Sounds über complex... Looks like ill keep it with the exterior looks... If it would ever stop snowing here!!!

the cadillac man
02-23-13, 11:44 AM
Sounds über complex... Looks like ill keep it with the exterior looks... If it would ever stop snowing here!!!

It not as complex if you know what you are doing with a computer but the work on the hardware side can be a bit tedious as you have to have a place to mount the computer plus router the cables for the touchscreen (which has to be small enough to fit in the stock radio location)

It's all in how much work you are willing to put into the project

I know how you feel about the snow my back gives me fits when it snows