: Transmisson Going Out???

oldrunner
02-21-13, 08:17 PM
I was driving in traffic this evening and it felt like the transmission didn't downshift and when I took off it was in too high a gear. I stopped and manually shifted down and then back to D and it did fine. The other symptom is the transmission temp is slowly rising. The temp needle normally doesn't rise above 120 but tonight it was slowly rising and had reached 160. It seemed to be shifting fine after that one time downshift failure. The Escalade has 97k miles on it and I recently had the fluid and filter replaced. The mechanic said there was some clutch shavings on the magnet. Sound like it's time for a new transmission?
Thanks

the cadillac man
02-21-13, 08:21 PM
I was driving in traffic this evening and it felt like the transmission didn't downshift and when I took off it was in too high a gear. I stopped and manually shifted down and then back to D and it did fine. The other symptom is the transmission temp is slowly rising. The temp needle normally doesn't rise above 120 but tonight it was slowly rising and had reached 160. It seemed to be shifting fine after that one time downshift failure. The Escalade has 97k miles on it and I recently had the fluid and filter replaced. The mechanic said there was some clutch shavings on the magnet. Sound like it's time for a new transmission?
Thanks

Check the fluid level
Here is how to do it
First start the truck
Second work the shifter through the ranges(start from 1 and work back to p slowly)
Third check the level(wipe the dipstick off then reinsert to get proper level)

oldrunner
02-21-13, 08:33 PM
Checked fluid, at the proper level and clean looking...

the cadillac man
02-21-13, 09:31 PM
Checked fluid, at the proper level and clean looking...

Possibly a shift solenoid but ain't positive since you said it only acted up one time

oldrunner
02-21-13, 09:36 PM
Just went for a test drive and it's shifting smoother than it ever has in the short time I've owned it. The temp is running at 150deg and not rising. The other thing that might have happened is I went around a corner and gassed it and my wife said she thought I spun the tires a little. Hopefully it's OK, I'm going to give it a good drive out tomorrow.
Thanks...

the cadillac man
02-21-13, 10:16 PM
Just went for a test drive and it's shifting smoother than it ever has in the short time I've owned it. The temp is running at 150deg and not rising. The other thing that might have happened is I went around a corner and gassed it and my wife said she thought I spun the tires a little. Hopefully it's OK, I'm going to give it a good drive out tomorrow.
Thanks...

I would keep a check on it ever so often just don't be burning rubber till you know that the tranny won't give you fits
(Although I bet it was fun I can't do that in mine as its a all wheel drive model yet I have a bigger engine)

oldrunner
02-22-13, 12:22 PM
Took it to my mechanic and he said when I went around the corner I probably stirred up some trash in the transmission and it got into one of the shift solenoids. Say's it's common and not to worry about it, just drive it and enjoy it. Said I had a lot of life left in the transmission. No charge and made me feel a lot better. :2thumbs:

the cadillac man
02-22-13, 12:38 PM
Took it to my mechanic and he said when I went around the corner I probably stirred up some trash in the transmission and it got into one of the shift solenoids. Say's it's common and not to worry about it, just drive it and enjoy it. Said I had a lot of life left in the transmission. No charge and made me feel a lot better. :2thumbs:

I had that happen to me kinda of a weird feeling

YoshiMan
02-23-13, 11:11 PM
I've owned numerous cars where the automatic acts up once and then never does it again. I had one that started slipping one day and i lost all forward drive for about 15 seconds. I sure thought it was toast, but it went back to normal shortly there after and it never missed a beat for the 5 years i owned the truck after that.

the cadillac man
02-24-13, 12:50 AM
I've owned numerous cars where the automatic acts up once and then never does it again. I had one that started slipping one day and i lost all forward drive for about 15 seconds. I sure thought it was toast, but it went back to normal shortly there after and it never missed a beat for the 5 years i owned the truck after that.

I had the tranny worked on in my car (79 Chrysler cordoba) so far it hasn't gave me a issue I did find it odd that my truck did act up one time and hasn't done it since

kaiseresko
02-25-13, 09:52 PM
I just did service on mine too, new filter and gasket. Hopefully you put Dexron IV though. Also used Lucas transmission additive, shifts smooth.

oldrunner
02-28-13, 05:36 PM
Now for the rest of the story...
Yesterday morning the Escalade started stalling when I shifted to reverse. This morning it wouldn't automatically shift into 1st. Took it to my mechanic and he said the transmission needs replacing. Said there was no codes, no electronic problems, solenoids worked, just good old wear in the clutches. He had told me 2 weeks ago when he serviced the transmission that there was a lot of clutch shavings. Oh well, I won't have to worry about it now for 100k miles or 3 years.

the cadillac man
02-28-13, 06:42 PM
Now for the rest of the story...
Yesterday morning the Escalade started stalling when I shifted to reverse. This morning it wouldn't automatically shift into 1st. Took it to my mechanic and he said the transmission needs replacing. Said there was no codes, no electronic problems, solenoids worked, just good old wear in the clutches. He had told me 2 weeks ago when he serviced the transmission that there was a lot of clutch shavings. Oh well, I won't have to worry about it now for 100k miles or 3 years.

Clutch wear is odd but at least if it happens anytime soon its covered

6lbsofSound
03-01-13, 01:42 PM
the clutch packs, solenoids and sunshell's are the weak spot in the 4l65e tranny. Chances are if you have shavings the friction plates on the clutch packs are worn which can cause odd issues as you described. Clutch wear is not uncommon on any auto transmission.

the cadillac man
03-01-13, 02:29 PM
the clutch packs, solenoids and sunshell's are the weak spot in the 4l65e tranny. Chances are if you have shavings the friction plates on the clutch packs are worn which can cause odd issues as you described. Clutch wear is not uncommon on any auto transmission.

Most of the time the issues that stem from these failing(except solenoids) is low fluid level as it not only works the tranny it also cools it and if the tranny overheats from extreme usage stuff can break