: After 30 Years of Wondering...

Longeardgaloot
02-21-13, 01:36 PM
...it suddenly occurred to me thta I've found a place to get an answer to a question that's been bothering me since 1984. Can someone here tell me how to properly pronounce "Biarritz" ??? I worked parking cars at a San Antonio Cadillac dealership back then, and I heard about 5 ways of pronouncing it, and in the meantime it's only gotten worse. It's almost been 30 years, can y'all help me out?

Thanks!

cadillac kevin
02-21-13, 01:41 PM
...it suddenly occurred to me thta I've found a place to get an answer to a question that's been bothering me since 1984. Can someone here tell me how to properly pronounce "Biarritz" ??? I worked parking cars at a San Antonio Cadillac dealership back then, and I heard about 5 ways of pronouncing it, and in the meantime it's only gotten worse. It's almost been 30 years, can y'all help me out?

Thanks!

I always pronounced it bare-ritz with the "R"s run together.

talismandave
02-21-13, 03:14 PM
I guess I have always heard it bar-rits as Kevin said, as if it was only one r.
(I think we described the same thing two different ways.)

I am sure there is also a "proper" way to pronounce it in it's original language, but this is how all people in the industry I have met pronounced it.

I will be interested in the responses too!

CADforce69
02-21-13, 07:11 PM
Here you can hear (click on the speaker icon) pronunciation in French and English: http://translate.google.es/?hl=es#auto/en/biarritz :D just as this gentleman says here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KfiT81mxaE

Bro-Ham
02-21-13, 10:54 PM
Listen to hear how the folks at Cadillac pronounce it:

http://testdrivejunkie.com/1981-cadillac-eldorado-biarritz-dealer-promotional-training-video/

CADforce69
02-22-13, 11:05 AM
^Wow, this ad makes you wanna buy an 80 eldo even 32 years after :drool:

cadillac kevin
02-22-13, 11:49 AM

I'd love to own one. The 79-85 eldorados were sweet....mine would have to be a black biarrtz with bordello red leather interior and a big block under the hood (or at least not the 4100 :)....oh, and "touring suspension." It has to have that.

bigm57ict
02-22-13, 04:32 PM
Nice video. Thanks for the link.
So, according to the video, it's pronounced buh-ritz

I'm glad you asked the question. I had wondered that as well.

Longeardgaloot
02-22-13, 05:00 PM
See, this is what the internet is for. Thanks, y'all!

Fleet
02-22-13, 05:46 PM
I haven't found "Biarritz" too hard to pronounce. I also pronounce it "buh-ritz."

What I find more complicated is "d'Elegance." I pronounce with the emphasis on the "d." Such as dee-elegance. I know of a Cadillac friend who pronounces it "Dela-ghance." I think that may be the European pronunciation, but not here in the U.S.

talismandave
02-22-13, 05:47 PM

It wouldn't take much in my case. I have loved them ever since I got to put some miles on a friend's 81 Biarritz years ago when it was new. Triple white with red dash and carpet, and the obligatory moonroof. I still have naughty dreams about that car.:yup:

cadillac kevin
02-22-13, 05:58 PM
It wouldn't take much in my case. I have loved them ever since I got to put some miles on a friend's 81 Biarritz years ago when it was new. Triple white with red dash and carpet, and the obligatory moonroof. I still have naughty dreams about that car.:yup:

Just like the one in the magazine ad back then....take you and your woman to the scenic view on the cliff ;)

Bro-Ham
02-23-13, 05:38 PM
...What I find more complicated is "d'Elegance." I pronounce with the emphasis on the "d." Such as dee-elegance. I know of a Cadillac friend who pronounces it "Dela-ghance." I think that may be the European pronunciation, but not here in the U.S.

Watch this video at exactly 5:00 to hear the official Cadillac pronunciation of d'Elegance:

http://testdrivejunkie.com/1981-cadillac-fleetwood-brougham-manufacturer-promotional-video/

CADforce69
02-25-13, 10:25 AM
It wouldn't take much in my case. I have loved them ever since I got to put some miles on a friend's 81 Biarritz years ago when it was new. Triple white with red dash and carpet, and the obligatory moonroof. I still have naughty dreams about that car:yup:.

It really seems a car providing all the comfort and luxury of a full size cadillac in a personal car size. I guess it would be perfect for driving in Europe (If gas prices were a little lower :crying2: ). Nevertheless, it seems mileage improved with that engine.

CaddyGas
02-27-13, 11:13 PM
Well there is actually two ways of saying it. The first, which is the correct way, Myritz. The second a more casual is, Myritz.

Seriously I always pronounced it bir-ritz with the R's slightly together. Ant or aunt.

Bro-Ham
02-28-13, 07:46 PM
Well there is actually two ways of saying it. The first, which is the correct way, Myritz. The second a more casual is, Myritz.

Seriously I always pronounced it bir-ritz with the R's slightly together. Ant or aunt.

I think I somehow missed the Cadillac "Myritz" special edition. :)

D Yaros
03-03-13, 10:51 AM
Bee-uh-ritz

orconn
03-03-13, 06:24 PM
Listen to hear how the folks at Cadillac pronounce it:

http://testdrivejunkie.com/1981-cadillac-eldorado-biarritz-dealer-promotional-training-video/

I quess the guy listing his "life "list" of things he'd like to have thought the blond he was with was chopped liver. If I heard correctly, the guys from Cadillac pronounce "Biaritz" like "Berlitz." Obviously the schools GM's sophisticates attended didn't spend much money of French language instruction. Most people I know think Berlitz is an international language school. not a tony town in France. But I quess if you could afford a Biaritz as new car you could damn well call it anything you want. Although "Baritz" would probably impress those of a certain class or education.

For those who want to know the correct pronunciation of "Biaritz" it is Bee-ar- reet-z.

----------

I think I somehow missed the Cadillac "Myritz" special edition. :)

Yeah, me too! Although it is not inconceivabble the special edition "Myritz" was sold in some areas of souther Florida, or perhaps Beverly Hills!

Fleet
03-04-13, 05:33 PM
Watch this video at exactly 5:00 to hear the official Cadillac pronunciation of d'Elegance:

http://testdrivejunkie.com/1981-cadillac-fleetwood-brougham-manufacturer-promotional-video/

Sounds like that is the European pronunciation.

After all, the actress Beverly D'Angelo is not pronounced "Dan-angleo." Because of the apostrophe. (Or is it?)

Bro-Ham
03-04-13, 05:43 PM
Sounds like that is the European pronunciation.

After all, the actress Beverly D'Angelo is not pronounced "Dan-angleo." Because of the apostrophe. (Or is it?)

I would guess it is Ellis-Islandization. :)

talismandave
03-04-13, 07:56 PM
:yawn:.....

Bro-Ham
03-04-13, 08:19 PM
:yawn:.....

WAKE UP DAVE!!! How in the hell can you fall asleep when this is such an exciting and important matter?! :)

CaddyGas
03-05-13, 12:11 AM
I think I somehow missed the Cadillac "Myritz" special edition.

Not everyone is perfect.:cool: