: How to re-install rear grab bar

Faber
02-21-13, 12:47 PM
The "grab bar" or "Oh Shit bar" over the rear driverside door that you can hang your dry cleaning from has pulled loose on the one side - I messed with it but am having issues getting it reinstalled properly anyone have experience putting these back on?

etcts-v
02-21-13, 01:37 PM
That thing is a PITA to get re-installed, I had to re-install both of them after wrapping my headliner in suede. It's been a while since I did it, if I remember correctly you need to make sure the oh shit bar brackets are perfectly aligned in order to get the bolt in, if you have them off by just a little bit it won't snug up against the car which won't allow the bolt to reach to hole. Not sure if that's any help, I remember that I screwed around with it for a long time with no success until I figured out that the bracket was lined up properly.

darkman
02-21-13, 01:47 PM
For what it is worth, the attached shows how to replace it if it was not broken.

JD03Cobra
02-21-13, 01:53 PM
Both of mine pulled out from passengers holding onto them. After getting them off I had to use larger screws. Problem solved.

ImEpayne
02-21-13, 04:49 PM
That .PDF helped greatly. Mine has been off for months now and never got around to putting it back up (I never sit back there, why do I need to fix that?) Pretty slow at work so just went out and screwed it back on in minutes!

mstrjon32
02-21-13, 05:38 PM
I also got a bigger screw and screwed it back in. It got ripped out by a passenger while I was doing a lap of the ring.

ImEpayne
02-21-13, 06:08 PM
^ Jealous....

Faber
02-22-13, 12:24 PM
yeah, doesn't appear to be broken, just having issues getting the escutcheons to "snap" back into place and figured I was doing something wrong. What about the clip that these screw into? Mine sort of seems loose/floating around in there until I screw it in. I'll mess with it some more and see what I can do.

odthetruth
02-23-13, 01:38 AM
I also got a bigger screw and screwed it back in. It got ripped out by a passenger while I was doing a lap of the ring.

I had mine ripped out by a passenger while I was doing a lap of the FDR, in NYC. LOL This guy is a longtime friend and golden glove boxer.
Then few months later, I run into him again, he sits on the other side in the back seat, and manages to pull it out while I was just cruising along. I just shook my head at him and told him he should have known better. LOL

Best way to put it back is to retap with a bit larger/thicker screw.

Faber
02-25-13, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the advice, but my issue is not that it is a stripped screw or stripped clip that can be solved with larger screw. I'll get some pics tonight & post up.

LAYGO
10-19-14, 12:18 PM
Help! I need that pdf, but I'm not seeing it. I've got a grab handle dangling.

darkman
10-19-14, 01:07 PM
See attached.

LAYGO
10-19-14, 01:50 PM
See attached.

Awesome! ! Thank you.

You know I went to Spring HS? Was my favorite school growing up & have lots of friends from there still.