: Remote Start kit 22893086 installed

Macvicar24
02-19-13, 08:58 PM
Had the dealer install the remote start kit for my ATS standard (base) model, 6 speed Auto, 2.0T, Power Moonroof, CUE, no heated seats.

The kit states heated seats needs to be an option, but I tried it anyway, and it works. Dealer charged $75 to install.

Hope this helps if anyone wants this feature.

Hoosier Daddy
02-19-13, 09:53 PM
That is extremely good news.

I'm thinking about registering under another name so I can give your post more than one Like.

Macvicar24
02-19-13, 09:55 PM
That is extremely good news.

I'm thinking about registering under another name so I can give your post more than one Like.

The only thing that doesn't work at this point is the Onstar app. It doesn't have the remote start button on the app. I will contact Onstar to see if they can update this feature. Will update with results.

Hoosier Daddy
02-20-13, 01:22 AM
The only thing that doesn't work at this point is the Onstar app. It doesn't have the remote start button on the app. I will contact Onstar to see if they can update this feature. Will update with results.
Thanks for the update. But now I see I may have misinterpreted what you meant by "Standard". I thought (and hope) you meant standard transmission, but now think you may have meant Standard trim level. Please post which.

Macvicar24
02-20-13, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the update. But now I see I may have misinterpreted what you meant by "Standard". I thought (and hope) you meant standard transmission, but now think you may have meant Standard trim level. Please post which.

Standard model with Auto trans.

You cannot remote start manual trans cars. It would be in gear when car is started and go through whatever is in front of it.

Yplus
02-20-13, 09:13 AM
Had the dealer install the remote start kit for my ATS standard (base) model, 6 speed Auto, 2.0T, Power Moonroof, CUE, no heated seats.

The kit states heated seats needs to be an option, but I tried it anyway, and it works. Dealer charged $75 to install.

Hope this helps if anyone wants this feature.

Thanks for the info! I have a 2.0T standard but with heated seats and cue. So it looks like I can do this. You only mentioned the dealer charge $75 to install, how much did the module cost?

Macvicar24
02-20-13, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info! I have a 2.0T standard but with heated seats and cue. So it looks like I can do this. You only mentioned the dealer charge $75 to install, how much did the module cost?

$173.00 shipped to my house from online GM parts dealer.

turbo2.0
02-20-13, 09:44 AM
standard retail would be $200 +tax for parts and GM says it pays .5 hours, which at my dealer comes out to $50. While you may save a couple of dollars buying something online, most dealers will not warranty the part if you bring in your own parts. Just something to think about... Glad everything worked out good for you.

Bertha D Blues
02-20-13, 09:33 PM
Does the kit come with replacement remotes or just a secondary fob? Bert

Macvicar24
02-21-13, 01:37 AM
Does the kit come with replacement remotes or just a secondary fob? Bert

Kit comes with 2 new key fobs that have the remote start buttons on them and code to program car through the dealers network.

The 2 original fobs + the new key fobs are programmed to my car right now.

xtheunknown
02-21-13, 10:38 AM
So I have a 2.5L with the heated seats, no CUE. Do you think this will work on my car? It's the one thing I would have liked to have. I am leasing the car, but for $250 or so it would be worth it.

Macvicar24
02-21-13, 10:59 PM
So I have a 2.5L with the heated seats, no CUE. Do you think this will work on my car? It's the one thing I would have liked to have. I am leasing the car, but for $250 or so it would be worth it.

The kit states it works with all standard models with heated seats. Mine is standard without heated seats and it works. I suspect it will work.

xtheunknown
02-22-13, 08:52 AM
The kit states it works with all standard models with heated seats. Mine is standard without heated seats and it works. I suspect it will work.
Thanks for the reply. I am definitely looking into this.

xtheunknown
03-02-13, 07:17 AM
Well, I pulled the trigger on this. Just as the OP said, the dealer quoted $75 for the install and the kit is $200. I'd be interested to hear if the OP ever got the OnStar app to work with his car.

Macvicar24
03-02-13, 10:36 AM
Well, I pulled the trigger on this. Just as the OP said, the dealer quoted $75 for the install and the kit is $200. I'd be interested to hear if the OP ever got the OnStar app to work with his car.

I contacted onstar and spoke to a tech. He stated they are working on an update for this. He did not give a time as to when it will be available. He also stated an email would be sent when the update is available.

xtheunknown
03-04-13, 10:00 AM
I contacted onstar and spoke to a tech. He stated they are working on an update for this. He did not give a time as to when it will be available. He also stated an email would be sent when the update is available.
I guess that is good news. Please post when you hear back from them. Thx.

Yplus
03-13-13, 09:45 AM
Macvicar24,

I got this installed during my CUE update. It works great. I have the 2.0T Standard with heated seats (i.e. not the leather seats) with CUE and there was no issue. THANK YOU for posting this as it's a MUCH cheaper was to get remote start than going up a whole trim level, and it's OEM so it's completely transparent.

Macvicar24
03-13-13, 11:53 PM
Macvicar24,

I got this installed during my CUE update. It works great. I have the 2.0T Standard with heated seats (i.e. not the leather seats) with CUE and there was no issue. THANK YOU for posting this as it's a MUCH cheaper was to get remote start than going up a whole trim level, and it's OEM so it's completely transparent.

It's great in the mornings. I use mine every morning and grateful it installed easily.

AJ21
03-15-13, 01:24 PM
Thanks for this post....I was disappointed I did not have this as an available option when I ordered mine last month. I will get this ordered and installed at the dealer. Is this something i can order at the parts department from my dealership?

xtheunknown
03-15-13, 02:54 PM
Thanks for this post....I was disappointed I did not have this as an available option when I ordered mine last month. I will get this ordered and installed at the dealer. Is this something i can order at the parts department from my dealership?
yes, I printed out the OPs images and brought them to my dealer. They ordered the part and I just have to get the car in for the install. ~$200 for the part and $75 for the labor.

Macvicar24
03-16-13, 04:47 PM

Yes, any GM dealer can order it for you.

xtheunknown
03-21-13, 10:28 AM
Just got back from the dealer. Got in and out in less than two hours and the bill was only $250 parts, labor and tax. I had a $25 credit, so it only cost me $225 out of pocket. Hopefully we'll get the OnStar app fixed so it can remote start our cars.

Yplus
03-21-13, 01:48 PM
For those using it with the non-Leather, but heated seats. Does the auto heated seats option work for you? I haven't seen my seats activated from the remote start. The rear and front auto defrost works....

xtheunknown
03-21-13, 02:34 PM
For those using it with the non-Leather, but heated seats. Does the auto heated seats option work for you? I haven't seen my seats activated from the remote start. The rear and front auto defrost works....
Auto-heated seats option?

----------

What's the range on this thing? I tried to start it from within my building at work, but no dice. Now my office is on the opposite side of the building from the parking lot, so maybe that's it?

stevenzoz
03-23-13, 09:23 PM
Auto-heated seats option?

----------

What's the range on this thing? I tried to start it from within my building at work, but no dice. Now my office is on the opposite side of the building from the parking lot, so maybe that's it?

range is the same as your regular key fob... the only way you would be able to do it from the other side of your office is through the onstar app.. as long as they can get that sorted out.

AJ21
03-26-13, 02:38 PM
Just ordered this yesterday, it will be installed before I take delivery of the car. I have the 2.0T RWD Standard Pkg. Thanks to this forum I found out I was able to add an option I was annoyed I had to miss out on.....hopefully it installed easily and works like it does on other trim levels.

Chuck C
03-27-13, 07:38 PM
Question: does the kit also add the "Keyless Access, passive entry" feature which cadillac.com defines as follows:

Open the driver's door without searching for the vehicle's key in your pocket or purse. This passive entry system will acknowledge your Keyless Access transmitter as you approach your vehicle; simply pull the handle to unlock and open the front door. You can set which doors unlock with the driver's door in the Driver's Information Center preferences. Later, as you exit your vehicle, the system remembers to securely lock all doors for you.

?

xtheunknown
03-28-13, 09:42 AM
Question: does the kit also add the "Keyless Access, passive entry" feature which cadillac.com defines as follows:

Open the driver's door without searching for the vehicle's key in your pocket or purse. This passive entry system will acknowledge your Keyless Access transmitter as you approach your vehicle; simply pull the handle to unlock and open the front door. You can set which doors unlock with the driver's door in the Driver's Information Center preferences. Later, as you exit your vehicle, the system remembers to securely lock all doors for you.

?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't add this feature. The trim levels that have this feature have sensors in the door handles. I will look in the DIC next time I am in the car to see if I have this option. It would be cool, but I think no.

Macvicar24
03-31-13, 04:04 PM

?

No. Those cars have the door handles with little buttons on them to unlock the door instead of using the key.

armychef
04-01-13, 03:07 PM
Just got my remote starter put in today by Davidson Cadillac in Watertown, NY. The part was $247.83 and for installation it was $ 84.95. I have the ATS all wheel drive turbo.with no heated seats. The remote start works like a charm.

kenbefound
04-18-13, 04:06 AM
Is there a list available that shows all the features for each trim level?

romanats
04-18-13, 04:21 PM
does this kit include anything else but the remotes? because there are remotes selling on ebay for $40 and i am sure the Tech can get instructions on line how to set them up .

stevenzoz
04-18-13, 05:18 PM
does this kit include anything else but the remotes? because there are remotes selling on ebay for $40 and i am sure the Tech can get instructions on line how to set them up .

it comes with an authorization code in addition to the 2 remotes. It says that the dealer needs to authorization code to reconfigure your vehicle with a service programming system.

romanats
04-18-13, 08:35 PM
ok thanks i thought its just the remotes that need to be programmed

ewired
05-07-13, 06:55 PM
You can do it, but not OEM. It would have to be aftermarket.

pissedoffwookiee
05-08-13, 02:21 AM
Why not OEM? Will the dealership just not do it, or is there literally some kind of device that prevents it from working on manual transmission cars?

there's no way to guarantee that the transmission is locked into a safe condition and cannot be engaged or knocked into gear by shifting object, kids, pets, etc therefore the safeguard conditions set by the factory are not met and the car will not start.

the conditions the vehicle checks are as follows:

-ignition is off
-doors are shut and locked
-hood and trunk are shut and locked
-transmission is in park
-a few more parameters I've only experienced once or twice but I believe to be alarm has not been triggered and gas cap secured

a manual car would fail the transmission test, and thus the remote start feature is either disabled or not installed, and the factory will not budge on this for liability reasons

the only solution is aftermarket and even those have checks for the transmission and you still may have trouble finding a shop that will install it, again for liability reasons, most reputable shops will not violate a safety feature, or in this case a safety omission because it opens the door to trouble for them

ewired
05-08-13, 10:22 AM
Correct, there are two many what if's for the oem to do it. And they don't want the liability. But I think them oem guys could make the safest manual transmission setup because they have the ability to control and monitor the BCMs more efficiently, so the check values could be safer in my opinion.

The aftermarket system does have to go through a sequence of shutdown events prior to allowing you to activate the remote start. If any one of the steps are missed, or if the sequence gets bypassed during the "waiting state" then the system thinks its compromised and it will not start the car. It actually works quite well. I'm been installing them and using it personally for over 10 years, and no issues.

If your interested in aftermarket stick to DEI on this.

The scariest thing in aftermarket installations are the installers. The field is filled with lazy short cutters. They bypass shutdown zones and neutral switches all the time. Shit pisses me off and we are trying to get better policing to protect the end users. All to save time on the install.

These are the same guys that you pay to install an alarm system to protect your vehicle and when you look or grab right under the dash the brain is easily accessed and bypassed with a minute. We see it all the time.

Your system will only work as well as it was installed.

So in short if you want RS on your manual tranny, you will have to go aftermarket.

Hoosier Daddy
05-08-13, 01:06 PM
Even if you could fab a neutral sensor with identical output to how ever the auto trans signals its in Park, and talk a GM service department to install the GM remote start kit, a manual trans car doesn't come with fobs that have a remote start button. I don't know what a fob with remote start button costs but my dealer tried to sell fob insurance saying one costs >$400. If true, then that's another $800+ on top of the kit and it's install to retrofit a factory remote start.

dcaddy44
06-05-13, 06:32 PM
After purchasing the part from the dealer, I took my ATS in this morning and was informed that GM would not give the dealer a VCI number for my car to be upgraded. Did anyone have this issue or know a fix?

pissedoffwookiee
06-05-13, 06:57 PM
After purchasing the part from the dealer, I took my ATS in this morning and was informed that GM would not give the dealer a VCI number for my car to be upgraded. Did anyone have this issue or know a fix?

there's something wrong then, because everything the dealer needs is in the kit, my technician told me he had to call in for authorization with the provided code and my VIN, GM then registered the feature with my car, and created an update for my car that was downloaded to his computer scan tool thingie, and he then had to use it to program 4 modules in my car, he then deleted all programmed remotes, in order to insure that the new remotes would be assigned to 1 and 2 instead of 3 and 4 so as to not cause any issues with personalisation features and transferred the keyblades to the new remotes and handed me the old ones that were now dead. I then went home and reprogrammed the old ones per the instructions in the owners manual and now i have 4 working remotes 2 with remote start and 2 key blades, it was pretty painless, just took time on my techs part.

dcaddy44
06-05-13, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I have a 2013 2.0 turbo. Automatic. Leather seats. No heated seats. CUE and sunroof. Been dealing with the dealer and GM all day. Was even told after market wouldn't work.

pissedoffwookiee
06-05-13, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I have a 2013 2.0 turbo. Automatic. Leather seats. No heated seats. CUE and sunroof. Been dealing with the dealer and GM all day. Was even told after market wouldn't work.

Mines a 2013 turbo Standard, Cue, Sunroof, no heated seats, keep at it because the kit works in our cars. FYI we have the same car, and it has leatherette, all the leather cars have remote start as standard equipment

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-06-13, 12:21 PM

Hello dcaddy44,

I am sorry for the upgrading inconvenience you are dealing with. I see you have been in contact with your dealership and they have been trying to help you. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please message me. We can continue our interaction via private message or Email at socialmedia@gm.com "ATTN LAURA".

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

BoomerHr
01-08-14, 05:09 PM
I'm curious if anyone knows how to get a hold of a copy of the book that says how long it should take the dealer to install. For some reason the idiot manager at the dealer I'm going to is trying to tell me its gana take 3 hours to put the remote start on my 13 ATS4 2.0T. I used to work in a body shop so i know there's a book that says estimated times and they can't charge over that allotted time.

pissedoffwookiee
01-08-14, 05:48 PM
I'm curious if anyone knows how to get a hold of a copy of the book that says how long it should take the dealer to install. For some reason the idiot manager at the dealer I'm going to is trying to tell me its gana take 3 hours to put the remote start on my 13 ATS4 2.0T. I used to work in a body shop so i know there's a book that says estimated times and they can't charge over that allotted time.

the brochure says .5 i'm presuming that means half an hour but that does not take into account the whole procedure, which is they have to call the factory and register the features with the provided code to you VIN and update the vehicles programming that they store on file, once that is done then the tech needs to update their scan tool/laptop to download your specific program, then connect the tool to your car and upload the program, then delete all previous keys then reprogram the new keys so that they are set to key 1 and key 2.....i would guess this would at least be an hour to 90 minutes, but 3 hours seems long

ikireland
01-08-14, 05:56 PM
The cost the parts department gives you for the kit includes installation time through GM's accessory catalog. Not 3 hours but 1.5 is accurate

BoomerHr
01-08-14, 09:19 PM
That's what I was figuring. Thanks much I appreciate it.

neows6
02-09-14, 09:52 AM
Hello, Has the ability to add the Remote start feature to the Remote Link app been resolved yet?

neows6
02-10-14, 01:03 PM
After a little more digging I was informed by OnStar
"Bill Z: The vehicle must by equipped with a remote starter prep kit from the factory for the dealer installed remote start to function from the Remodeling app. The VIN will determine if your vehicle was built with the remote starter prep kit.
Customer: Ah ok and some "non remote start" vehicles may have the "Prep Kit"?
Bill Z: Yes sir, this can be determine by the VIN

neows6
02-15-14, 10:51 PM
Apparently my vehicle does not have the "Prep Kit" installed. I had the remote start unit installed which works well and good with the key fob, but Onstar and the Remotelink app do not.
I 'm surprised this is hardware based and not just software, but apparently not.
It would seems counter productive to have a different wiring harness and or BCM/Computers for the few non remote start cars from the factory,

kustom71
02-20-14, 11:16 AM
Anybody know why the dealer has to program the remotes?
According to the cars user manual you can program your own remote.I believe someone also mentioned already that they programmed there own just to have extra

Hoosier Daddy
02-20-14, 11:28 AM
Anybody know why the dealer has to program the remotes?
According to the cars user manual you can program your own remote.I believe someone also mentioned already that they programmed there own just to have extra
I would think the owner could program the remotes. But the dealer still has to program the car so it knows it now has that capability. Did they tell you only they can program the remote? Are you wanting to avoid paying the dealer a separate fee to do that now (isn't it included in the book labor to install the kit?) or just wanting to avoid having the dealer program future spare/replacement fobs?

kustom71
02-20-14, 02:38 PM
No i was just checking to see if anyone could do it.
I went to the dealer today they say the kit is 225. and with labor it would be around 400 total.
I fuess if they do it then there is some kind of warranty on it maybe?

neows6
02-20-14, 10:59 PM
The kit comes with a code the service tech uses in the tech tool to upload a new program to the car that teaches the car how to remote start.

DiabloMike
02-21-14, 01:45 PM
Just got done with the install (thanks JoeC!), I love my car just a little more now :)

I gotta say, there are some crazy prices being thrown around in here. You can get the kit for less than $200 on ebay, cheaper if you fall into a good deal, and a dealer asking for 1.5 hours to program the car is nuts. It took about 40-45 minutes total, including 5 minutes on the phone getting it all activated.

If you know an independent repair shop with a GM TIS subscription, they may do it for quite a bit less...

enjoy.

kustom71
02-21-14, 02:52 PM
Im taking the car in for service monday ill talk to him again i guess.
I figured i could pair the remotes by the book when i asked about that he did tell me that they have to get the car to learn what to do.
He even said it takes twenty minutes per remote so we will see what i can work out.I honestly would rather them install it so its warrantied.

pissedoffwookiee
02-21-14, 03:19 PM
i had this done on my '13 here's the scoop to answer some of these questions....the kit is pretty cheap around $200 as for labor here's what my tech had to do

1) tech took my authorization code provided with the kit and called GM to register to my VIN
2) GM took registration and created new custom programming for my BCM (body control module) and stored it on their system
3) tech downloaded new BCM program specific to my car from GM's system into his programming tool/computer
4) tech plugged into my car and uploaded new BCM program to enable remote start
5) tech performed emergency lost key procedure to delete all keys from my cars memory, tech did this so that new keys would become key 1 & 2 instead of 3 & 4 so any driver memory settings would work properly
6) tech reprogrammed new remote start keys to car and gave me dead non-remote start keys
7) i went home and followed instructions in manual to reprogram dead keys they became 3 & 4
8) onstar app remote start didn't work

***note*** GM stores BCM programming for all their cars, this is in case my BCM should fail and need replacing they can replace it and have the custom programming intact and never skip a beat

i can see this taking a couple hours..... half hour to contact GM and get programming..an hour to perform procedure...and half hour for key reset procedure to get the car right.

RippyPartsDept
02-21-14, 04:04 PM
DiabloMike is correct about pricing... My forum discount price is $195 and i'm sure you can get it for less (or more) other places

GM's list pricing on this kit is $225

kustom71
02-21-14, 04:35 PM
i had this done on my '13 here's the scoop to answer some of these questions....the kit is pretty cheap around $200 as for labor here's what my tech had to do

1) tech took my authorization code provided with the kit and called GM to register to my VIN
2) GM took registration and created new custom programming for my BCM (body control module) and stored it on their system
3) tech downloaded new BCM program specific to my car from GM's system into his programming tool/computer
4) tech plugged into my car and uploaded new BCM program to enable remote start
5) tech performed emergency lost key procedure to delete all keys from my cars memory, tech did this so that new keys would become key 1 & 2 instead of 3 & 4 so any driver memory settings would work properly
6) tech reprogrammed new remote start keys to car and gave me dead non-remote start keys
7) i went home and followed instructions in manual to reprogram dead keys they became 3 & 4
8) onstar didn't work

***note*** GM stores BCM programming for all their cars, this is in case my BCM should fail and need replacing they can replace it and have the custom programming intact and never skip a beat

i can see this taking a couple hours..... half hour to contact GM and get programming..an hour to perform procedure...and half hour for key reset procedure to get the car right.

Why didint your onstar work after?

Hoosier Daddy
02-21-14, 05:09 PM
Why didint your onstar work after?
I'm guessing he's just referring to the fact that despite GM's database being updated, the OnStar phone app still doesn't know nor will let you to remote start your car with your phone which is a drag if you park your car farther away than the fob can transmit.

pissedoffwookiee
02-21-14, 08:32 PM
I'm guessing he's just referring to the fact that despite GM's database being updated, the OnStar phone app still doesn't know nor will let you to remote start your car with your phone which is a drag if you park your car farther away than the fob can transmit.

yes exactly

kustom71
02-21-14, 09:46 PM
Got it
Thank you

----------

Got it
Thank you