: Storing car

ogbuehi
02-18-13, 08:05 PM
I'll be storing my car for the next 6 months possibly up to a year. Any tidbits or advice? Thanks.

Tomko
02-18-13, 08:31 PM
I've been storing cars since 1996.

You need to change the oil and filter, fill up the tank with premium fuel only (to avoid ethanol gelling), use a fuel stabilizer and cover the vehicle.

I wash the vehicle before, inflate the tires to their maximum sidewall pressure, park the vehicle on Race Ramps Flat Stoppers and connect the battery to a Deltran Battery Tender Plus.

My Impala SS is kept in storage on two year cycles (the maximum Sta-Bil will maintain the gasoline). I then take it out for a week to show it and burn the tank dry so I can refill with fresh gas and place it back in storage. My DTS is currently in winter storage as it has been for every winter of its life. I've also stored my 1999 Tahoe and 1988 Caprice at different times for up to eight months.

ogbuehi
02-18-13, 09:04 PM
I was thinking about putting the car on jack stands to prevent flat spots since I don't have access to a way inflate the tires at the storage facility. Will that be good?

Superjim
02-18-13, 09:51 PM
If I were to use jack stands... I would place them under the suspension so that the car is sitting like it would be if it was on the ground.

Reason being... I wouldn't want the weight of the tires/wheels and other components holding the shocks and struts fully extended for a long period of time.

ogbuehi
02-18-13, 10:09 PM
I'll see if the jack stands will sit that low. The last time I let my car sit for 14 months, I did some of the above suggested. I actually just disconnected the battery completely. The one thing I noticed was that the fuel was gone from the lines and it took awhile of cranking for it to finally turn over. But surprisingly the battery didn't miss a beat after reconnecting it. I will look into the fuel preservatives as well.

Tomko
02-18-13, 10:50 PM
I was thinking about putting the car on jack stands to prevent flat spots since I don't have access to a way inflate the tires at the storage facility. Will that be good?
I'd suggest eschewing the jack stands and use Race Ramps Flat Stoppers. Much less fussy than jack stands.

ogbuehi
03-22-13, 02:48 PM
Well I did some looking and the only thing I could find closest to a fuel preservative was Seafoam. But after doing some reading, it appears to be more of a cleaner than a fuel preservative. Is there some brand I need to find? All the other items I saw related to fuel were more like performance additives rather than preserving.

MoistCabbage
03-22-13, 02:56 PM
Yeah, don't pour that crap into your tank. Sta-bil is a good stabilizer. If you can't find it at a parts store, try a marine supply store.

ogbuehi
03-25-13, 10:47 AM
Well this will be my last post here in the US. Hopefully both of my cars will start without a hitch when I get back in 6-12 months!!!

Asguard726
03-26-13, 12:53 AM
Good luck and stay safe!
Dan