: Broke my god&*n air cleaner holder

fre1102
02-17-13, 06:33 PM
Went to change the air filter in the car--one of the bolts that holds the top of the assembly to the bottom stripped. In taking it out to see how to get the bolt out, I broke the snorkel riveted to the bottom.

Any advice about where to buy a new one? I posted an ad in the classifieds, but that seems like a long shot. Or is there a better way to deal with this? I'm not really sold on a CAE, and I'm sure I'm not paying what places seem to want for them.

Anybody know what kind of plastic that is? I'm tempted to try and glue the snorkel back together and rivet it back on the lower assembly.

Thanks in advance.

darkman
02-17-13, 07:21 PM
You can completely remove that snorkle if you want to. At one time I ran with the rivets removed and replaced by nuts&bolts, but have since removed it entirely. In the alternative, any part of that box that breaks can be glued or epoxied. The only critical item is to make sure the air filter seals - every thing else can leak like sieve without issue.

fre1102
02-17-13, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I drilled out the rivets and removed what was left of the snorkel. I got all the pieces of the snorkel but the tab that fits into the bottom, so I guess there's no point in gluing it back together; it probably wouldn't do much without the tab to secure it to the box.

I guess I'll try to buy a snorkel, but I'm betting that it's probably sold as an assembly. Maybe I'll find the tab on the driveway.