: 2008 cadillac STS-v transmission issues

wiz321654
02-17-13, 05:42 PM
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and first of all would like to say hi.

My 08 STS-V only has 35000 miles on it and it feels as if the transmission is "wondering" in second gear. I Dont think its normal and i am scared to take it to cadillac because it is out of warranty by time :-(. I had the transmission serviced at cadiallac at 30k miles and now this. What the car is doing is in first it will spin, and once boost comes on in second, the car will start lunging, almost like the clutches are slipping and then grabbing and then slipping again. It only does it under hard acceleration and this really sucks since the car has such low miles.

Has anyone else here had this issue? I have tuesday off, im gunna take it in, but I will not lie, I am scared shitless of the bill :-/

thanks for your time

boomys10
02-18-13, 11:57 AM
mine does the same thing SOMETIMES. its not the tranny slipping because the RPMS dont skyrocket yet the car doesnt move forward. we are thinking belt slip is causing the issues mine is having, will be addressing and see if that fixed.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-18-13, 12:23 PM
Wiz321654, I'm sorry to see you've been experiencing these concerns! Taking your STS-V to your dealer is a good next step, as their specialized technicians can run the proper diagnostic tests and document your frustrations. If you would like any assistance working with your dealer at any point, please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com! I'm always happy to look into your concerns further for you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

rwwrrr
02-23-13, 05:40 PM
Wiz321654, I'm sorry to see you've been experiencing these concerns! Taking your STS-V to your dealer is a good next step, as their specialized technicians can run the proper diagnostic tests and document your frustrations. If you would like any assistance working with your dealer at any point, please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com! I'm always happy to look into your concerns further for you.

Best,

Katie

That's interesting my transmission does the same thing and the cadillac dealer said to not worry about it.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-24-13, 02:43 PM
Rwwrrr, thank you for posting this. We do recommend bringing your vehicle concerns to your dealer's attention initially for their expert input, so I'm pleased you have already consulted with your dealer on this concern. If you're still concerned regarding your STS and would like Customer Service to contact your dealer to follow up on your behalf, please let me know.

Katie

wiz321654
02-28-13, 11:37 PM
Well, I took it in to the dealer and had them make some other repairs while it's still under warranty. They said the tcu needed updating and that should fix the problem... Low and behold it didn't... While the car feels like it shifts more firm now, it still doesn't feel right... It's only in second gear, it will kick the tires loose and then shift to 3rd(what it feels like atleast) and then it will down shift back to seconds and spin again. I'll have to take it back Monday, I wish I went to sewell Cadillac.. They are much closer but I've always dealt with Massey.. I'll keep y'all informed

1madstsv
03-01-13, 10:48 AM
Try driving it in manual and shift it your self with out spinning the tires. I bet it will feel fine shift crisp and no slipping. The set up in the trans tune from factory will up shift at the first sine of wheel spin under a hard start to keep out of redline. Find a good tuner and get the trans tuned to the way you drive the car. It took 5 try's to get mine just right but it shifts up/down with out looking for other gears now. It changed the way the whole car drives it feels more like a sports car than the big 4 door it is.

Ps: I always drive with the tc/sc all the way off. It could be the tc stepping in also. Just some things to try.

wiz321654
03-03-13, 12:51 PM
So it's meant to upshot at the first sign of wheel spin? If that's the case, once it up shifts would it immeadiatly try to shift back down once it bogged or "gripped" to continue on the acceleration?

1madstsv
03-04-13, 09:40 AM
Yes that is just how they are set from stock. A good aftermarket trans tune will take care of that.

wiz321654
03-09-13, 09:37 AM
I recorded a video on my phone of a second gear pull but am not sure how to post it here.. Could I email it to you?

1madstsv
03-09-13, 11:25 AM
Pm sent

----------

I want to say its just the tc/sc kicking in and doing it. Not the trans. Park the car press and hold the tc/sc button for 10-15s till it says sc off in the info center not just the dash icon. Then try the same turn.

boomys10
03-09-13, 12:05 PM
send me the link to the vid also, ive had a few issus with the trans and might be able to tell you whats up with seeing the video.

wiz321654
03-09-13, 01:44 PM
I need a email to send it too... Mad, did you receive it?

AriGold.
03-17-13, 05:53 AM
Send me the link. What state are you in?

wiz321654
03-18-13, 12:36 AM
I'm in Dallas Texas. For some reason I can't get it to upload but I can on you the video...

I'm going back to Cadillac in the morning. First gear it will spin to redline... If it were traction control it would do it in first as well.

AriGold.
03-18-13, 01:18 AM
Your 4 hours from me. I wouldn't go back to Cadillac yet. Email me the video

wiz321654
03-18-13, 04:27 PM
I emailed it to you last night. Thanks

YoungBlood_STSV
03-18-13, 05:35 PM
Put the video on youtube...makes life much easier

then post a link.

TimmyC
03-19-13, 01:48 AM
Did you make a new video with the traction control and stability control turned off? That first one has too much interference from those two to determine if there is a problem.

wiz321654
03-19-13, 10:22 PM
Tomorrow I will get you a clean video with everything turned off and then upload it to YouTube.

wiz321654
03-20-13, 12:24 PM
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgdW_psyYVU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone

Here's a link to the issue, I'll try and get someone to ride with me so I can record it more clearly... Th Mann you...

TimmyC
03-20-13, 01:59 PM
Sounds like it starts to slip in the middle of second gear? I hear tire spin, then none, then spin again.

boomys10
03-20-13, 03:31 PM
could be the TRQ management in the factory tune AND belt slip. i got another new belt and mine stopped doing something similar. HOWEVER, you can tell the TRQ management is still kicking in. waiting to get my full tune done again since we got all the other issues fixed up now.l

Guy.Seminerio
03-20-13, 10:01 PM
I got what appears to be a tranny issue. When I'm in automatic mode, going at moderate acceleration, when the car shifts from 4 to 5, you hear the car shift, then it hesitates, revs go up a little, then appears to "catch" and return to normal driving in 5th gear. It causes a hesitation in acceleration so it's noticeable. I've noticed this happen very occasionally in other gear changes, but can almost always replicate it with the 4 to 5. Also, I usually drive in "manual" mode, and although it is much rarer, I've caught this happening a couple of times.
On another note, (I mention this because it may or may not be related) when I'm in manual mode, under moderate acceleration, when going from 4 to 5, the car will sound like its switching gears, only to cut back in, in the same gear. In other words, instead of 4 to 5, itll go from 4, then cut out like its going to hit 5, and say never mind and cut back in to 4. Then, as speed increases (less than 10 mph later) it will automatically shift to 5 on its own. Is this normal? As you guys can see I have an 09 and it's got just over 52k miles. Any help is appreciated and I thank you in advance.

wiz321654
03-20-13, 11:13 PM
It's only in second... That why I don't think it's belt slip. My old Harley truck had slight belt slip but I was under load in different gears... Timmy's is exactly right, it kicks up and down up and down.. In manual mode, first gear will spin to redline, shift to second and it will do it in 2nd regardless...

Guy.Seminerio
03-20-13, 11:59 PM
In the 2nd sentence I say "you hear the car shift" where I should've said "you hear the car attempt to shift."

wiz321654
03-22-13, 08:56 AM
Whatever it's doing, I don't believe it to be correct. Luckily it's still under Cadillac warranty and they are supposed to have a loaner car ready for me Monday. I will keep you all updated.

wiz321654
04-11-13, 12:34 AM
Well here is a update for y'all...

Cadillac replaced the Tcm AND the shift solenoids in the transmission and problem has been resolved.

1madstsv
04-11-13, 10:26 AM
How many miles are on it?

wiz321654
04-17-13, 02:02 PM
Sorry mad, it has 36000 on the clock

1madstsv
04-17-13, 04:21 PM
Ok thanks

Fierofiend
04-18-13, 12:30 PM
Out of curiosity, how much they charge ya for that?

wiz321654
04-23-13, 07:53 PM
Thankfully it was all warranty, the cars warranty goes out January 2014